Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not finding the 992s exciting. Am I the only one?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2021, 02:04 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,051 Likes on 5,250 Posts

Does a 911 really have to be "exciting"?

Isn't it enough that it is capable?
The following 2 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
Dgags (04-13-2021), Tupper (03-30-2021)
Old 03-30-2021, 02:45 PM
ctdubl07
Instructor

Received 83 Likes on 51 Posts

Love the honest feedback as most posters are probably gnashing their teeth at the possibility of hearing their car isnt the ultimate representation of the modern sports automobile.
Scott, sell the car fast. I was offered $10K over sticker at P of Irvine CA last week on 1 of the only 2 new C4S they had....maybe help an R-lister save some money....
Your comment is well taken for those of us who never intend to track their car...the C2 may be all anyone ever needs.
Maybe the C2 in manual could have captured your heart a little stronger.....
Old 03-30-2021, 03:22 PM
nuporsche
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 13 Posts

Cars like art and music are an individuals choice and preference. My brother likes American muscle cars, I like both but between my '31 street rod and the 992 I much prefer the 992. If it's not doing it for you sell it soon while it's still new. Trade it in for something that you like. Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
The-Dream (03-30-2021)
Old 03-30-2021, 03:28 PM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

Received 1,285 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by welikethetrack
I find it ABSOLUTELY CRAZY everyone apparently is so self absorbed here on Porsches, not one person mentioned the F80 M3...

Well, the OP mentioned that they moved "from the F80, to a Porsche", and the starting post was about what the OP was missing in the 992, why would anyone then mention the F80? They are two different cars, most likely used in different ways, for different reasons.

This, like many others, is a case of not enough of the right questions being asked before making a purchase. That said, I hope the OP can hammer down what it is that they find exciting, and hope there is something out there to fit the bill...I'm sort of going through this with my 981 GT4, having driven a 992 on track, I preferred the 992 as it just felt more composed, and the additional torque didn't hurt.

Personally, I wish less was done to mitigate vibration from modern cars. Just being able to feel that the car is "on" goes a long way to adding to the experience and excitement, even if it does introduce other issues...miss my MkII VWs. I have to go through the stop/start process on my '19 GLI because I can never tell if the engine is on when I get out to park.
Old 03-30-2021, 03:46 PM
welikethetrack
Burning Brakes

Received 723 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott Mayers
I notice you stayed away from recommending the G80.
What about the F90 Comp? (I know, luxo barge)
hahaha I actually like the G80/82, I saw one blacked out at the dealer and it looked great imo. I have not driven one yet but I am sure they are better than most think (Doug demuro seemed to like it). F90 might be a bit large for me haha, the G80/82 scares me in that sense

The BMW community is kind of perpetually stuck in the past it seems (sound familiar RL hahaha)

If you want a lot feeling, go drive a Gt3 or RS (The RS even more so, a surprising difference you just don't see on paper). You will be blown away at the rigidity and feeling, if you want a manual tho, you kind of have to get the new 992 gt3 as the 991.2 pricing is a bit silly at this point and it is all due (according to BH porsche) the lack of 992 inventory making people buy used and is expected to fall back to earth as 992 C2s/C4s/gt3's come back in stock.

Getting 10k over for a used C4s sounds like a sales man trying to rope u into a big commission on something else as I have never had anyone ask over and you can get 4-5% off fairly easily calling around, u just have to wait 6-9 months.

Last edited by welikethetrack; 03-30-2021 at 03:47 PM.
Old 03-30-2021, 03:52 PM
welikethetrack
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by colnagoG60
Well, the OP mentioned that they moved "from the F80, to a Porsche", and the starting post was about what the OP was missing in the 992, why would anyone then mention the F80? They are two different cars, most likely used in different ways, for different reasons.

This, like many others, is a case of not enough of the right questions being asked before making a purchase. That said, I hope the OP can hammer down what it is that they find exciting, and hope there is something out there to fit the bill...I'm sort of going through this with my 981 GT4, having driven a 992 on track, I preferred the 992 as it just felt more composed, and the additional torque didn't hurt.

Personally, I wish less was done to mitigate vibration from modern cars. Just being able to feel that the car is "on" goes a long way to adding to the experience and excitement, even if it does introduce other issues...miss my MkII VWs. I have to go through the stop/start process on my '19 GLI because I can never tell if the engine is on when I get out to park.
Usually you are missing in your current car what you had in the last. Comparing what you had vs. what you have is logical. Also, they really are not as different as you would think. Both 3 liter twin turbos with manuals, 3300-3500 pounds, fairly rigid but comfortable suspensions. Great brakes on both. Really pretty similar with the exception of engine placement and 911 is a bit lower.

-Leo
M3Inline6 (06-03-2021)
Old 03-30-2021, 04:27 PM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by welikethetrack
Usually you are missing in your current car what you had in the last. Comparing what you had vs. what you have is logical. Also, they really are not as different as you would think. Both 3 liter twin turbos with manuals, 3300-3500 pounds, fairly rigid but comfortable suspensions. Great brakes on both. Really pretty similar with the exception of engine placement and 911 is a bit lower.

-Leo

Roger that. However I was not understanding your reaction as my point is that "someone else" would have to have had an M3 in order to provide insight, and it still wouldn't address what the 992 "isn't doing for the OP"...not that the OP listed those things, given that the OP is asking others to provide what that/they is/are. That F80 experience apparently didn't.

Also, engine in the rear, and power delivery, along with possibly an additional (2) doors (are we talking M3 or M4? Hasn't been specified) is enough to be "different".

For the record, we're not all absorbed with Porsche...I'm currently looking into adding/replacing current line-up with M2, M3, or M4. But driving a car that is "trying to kill me every time I get in", isn't the kind of excitement I'm looking for. Knowing this beforehand, and finding "fixes" for it, may make those choices more feasible.
Old 03-30-2021, 04:38 PM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,182 Likes on 632 Posts

I just replaced my second GT4 (4th 981)with a 992sMt (6th911). The GT4 certainly was a much more exciting car in it’s element, on track or playing in the canyons.

The 992 as pretty much everybody else said is a much better combination of performance and usability. The steering on the GT4 is much sharper and I do prefer the throttle response of normally aspirated.

I pretty much have run to spectrum with porsche starting with an 87 Carrera, 993TT, 996 GT2, 996 GT3 etc I also tracked an Exige S for 6 years which made the GT3 feel like driving a bus!

This 992sMT is the best combination of performance and comfort. My DD is an M2C MT its quick but nowhere near the handling dynamics of the 992.

The GT 4 was like having a girlfriend that was great sex but you didn’t want to take her to dinner. Carl

Last edited by 4carl; 03-30-2021 at 04:49 PM.
Old 03-30-2021, 04:41 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,622 Likes on 822 Posts

I don't quite get the obsession with BMW M3/4's around here. I get that they have HP and speed but.....just look at them. Like every Beemer they are just so....bleh.

Old 03-30-2021, 04:41 PM
GTlife
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by colnagoG60
Roger that. However I was not understanding your reaction as my point is that "someone else" would have to have had an M3 in order to provide insight, and it still wouldn't address what the 992 "isn't doing for the OP"...not that the OP listed those things, given that the OP is asking others to provide what that/they is/are. That F80 experience apparently didn't.

Also, engine in the rear, and power delivery, along with possibly an additional (2) doors (are we talking M3 or M4? Hasn't been specified) is enough to be "different".

For the record, we're not all absorbed with Porsche...I'm currently looking into adding/replacing current line-up with M2, M3, or M4. But driving a car that is "trying to kill me every time I get in", isn't the kind of excitement I'm looking for. Knowing this beforehand, and finding "fixes" for it, may make those choices more feasible.
Well said. While I would classify myself as a Porschephile, I find the need to take a break from the brand from time to time to preserve my passion.

This will come off silly to most but after purchasing 3 in 2 years, I found myself longing for another BMW M car. I look forward to taking delivery at the end of year/early 22 for the next one but will benefit of its absence in between.
Old 03-30-2021, 04:59 PM
welikethetrack
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GTlife
Well said. While I would classify myself as a Porschephile, I find the need to take a break from the brand from time to time to preserve my passion.

This will come off silly to most but after purchasing 3 in 2 years, I found myself longing for another BMW M car. I look forward to taking delivery at the end of year/early 22 for the next one but will benefit of its absence in between.
I agree it was said well, only point was there was 2 sides to this equation I felt and everyone was honed in on one. I think every brand has its own uniqueness that makes it great.

BMW's are just great fun machines that have become imo the best iterations they have ever come out with. Better handling, more power, more grip, weight actually dropping (in f82, not so much G82) They are much better sports cars than they have ever been and the loads of power essentially make them european muscle cars with 50-50 weight distro.....that is ALWAYS a fun time when you want it to be.

Porsche's are just bulletproof sports cars through and through that give you that amazing look of the 911 and the usability and comfort of a Lexus. You can race to a business meeting or race through the back canyons and enjoy every second. Then you can go up to the GT class and get a proper sports car that can track very well and then you can step up even more to RS which are full blown racecars. Porsche is making the best cars they have ever come out with

Ferrari (and MBZ/Audi) have really fallen off and are not making the most fun machines anymore and are more about tech/fuel efficiency/comfort/softer rides/etc. For that reason you got to love what BMW and Porsche are doing as they seem to be the last of the mohicans when it comes to sports cars making stiffer/more powerful/more fun sports cars
Old 03-30-2021, 05:25 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,713 Likes on 1,045 Posts

This is my DD. I live in central FL - so definitely very few "drivers" roads. Now my commute - that's part of the problem. I don't have one any more, having gone to 100 percent work from home even before COVID hit. I do use the car every single week day to drive my 8 year old to school (and during those drives we always try to get a 1-2 shift between 6-7k). But other than that, I just don't drive much any more. I had my F80 ZCP for 27 months and only had 14k miles on it and that wasn't because I was trying to save it, we just don't drive that much (pre COVID the car spent most of the time in the garage while I was on a plane elsewhere).
this is a tough scenario to choose one car and have it remain special. If the 992 do-it-all isn't working, then you probably want two cars.
Old 03-30-2021, 05:43 PM
Riptide
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by PlatapusRex
The more capable the cars get, the less driving excitement there is on the street at anything even remotely resembling sane driving. I went through a whole bunch of cars including Porsche/Audi/Ferrari/BMW/Corvette/Nissan GTR.. Perhaps drive some of the cars older than a few decades and see if that turns you on.
Nailed it......
Sub (03-31-2021)
Old 03-30-2021, 05:45 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,350 Likes on 760 Posts

But, it’s more than capable, it’s classic and evolutionary, it’s quick and precise and more important it’s reliable because who has time to spend at dealerships or Indy’s waiting to get your car on the road. I live in SW Florida, not the most titillating roads compared to horse country Pa where I moved from. But I find time almost everyday to get the car out solo for a fun drive and a few safe blasts.

In most places roads are crowded, drivers are terrible and we spend more time driving defensively instead of really enjoying the drive. Try some Porsche club driving events, you don’t need to be a track rat to enjoy the car.

Im on 911 variant number 14 and I’ve loved them all even the 996 TT’s. Still can’t wait to get in my TTS and just cruise or for some fun runs. All cars are boring if we lead boring lives.

The following 5 users liked this post by Penn4S:
AlexCeres (03-31-2021), dribar (03-31-2021), oneof5 (03-31-2021), tez2013 (06-11-2021), Tupper (03-30-2021)
Old 03-30-2021, 05:57 PM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tupper
I don't quite get the obsession with BMW M3/4's around here. I get that they have HP and speed but.....just look at them. Like every Beemer they are just so....bleh.

Don't know, but I want a "brand new car", that's German, is manual, with a little fuller torque profile than my GT4, (is also not shaped like a shoe box) and options are limited. Add in budget, and size limitations, with the ability to carry my bike "inside the car", and I'm really screwed. Hooray SeaSucker.!

Quick Reply: Not finding the 992s exciting. Am I the only one?