Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not finding the 992s exciting. Am I the only one?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2021, 03:28 PM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 556 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
I was referring to the most recent one where he went down an embankment and ended up on it’s side (I believe). Luckily, no 3rd party was hurt? Allegedly, the police know the reason for his crash, and will not release information, citing privacy. I suspect that is related to medication he was taking for his back? If that was the case, then he should have known better not to drive while medicated...and damn lucky an innocent person wasn’t hurt....or $$$.
This is off track from thread.

However, Woods has demonstrated that he makes poor life choices, affecting himself and his family.

He drives impaired and that is irresponsible, imagine how many times he's done this and hasn't been caught. The circumstances this last time point to impaired driving, he could have ended up dead.

That the Sheriff's Office isn't releasing information is pure special treatment. I'm familiar with DUI/crash investigations. When Woods was taken to the hospital, blood was drawn, investigators would have been able to obtain a blood sample based on a warrant, there appeared to be probable cause (single car accident, late at night, serious bodily injury, property damage) to petition a judge to issue a warrant. In fact, not following through and obtaining a blood sample indicates an incomplete investigation. I would suggest that someone (Sheriff's Office high command?) is curtailing a complete investigation.

As to the release of information, it is a public record and therefore subject to release upon request, unless it is an on-going investigation, grand jury proceeding, juvenile records or sealed by a court order; this preferential treatment would not be extended to most of us.

Last edited by BSO; 04-02-2021 at 03:30 PM.
Old 04-02-2021, 03:49 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Received 2,249 Likes on 1,277 Posts

Originally Posted by BSO
This is off track from thread.

However, Woods has demonstrated that he makes poor life choices, affecting himself and his family.

He drives impaired and that is irresponsible, imagine how many times he's done this and hasn't been caught. The circumstances this last time point to impaired driving, he could have ended up dead.

That the Sheriff's Office isn't releasing information is pure special treatment. I'm familiar with DUI/crash investigations. When Woods was taken to the hospital, blood was drawn, investigators would have been able to obtain a blood sample based on a warrant, there appeared to be probable cause (single car accident, late at night, serious bodily injury, property damage) to petition a judge to issue a warrant. In fact, not following through and obtaining a blood sample indicates an incomplete investigation. I would suggest that someone (Sheriff's Office high command?) is curtailing a complete investigation.

As to the release of information, it is a public record and therefore subject to release upon request, unless it is an on-going investigation, grand jury proceeding, juvenile records or sealed by a court order; this preferential treatment would not be extended to most of us.
Totally agree.

As you said, short of keeping information out of the public’s eye because of an ongoing investigation, the only information I can think of that the police can not release without a person’s authorization, is medical information. The fact that the police did disclose that they knew the reason for the accident, but would not release that information, leads me to believe that the reason has to do with Tiger’s medical condition, and/ or prescription drugs he is taking.

http://calpatientguide.org/iii.html
Old 04-02-2021, 09:21 PM
MFC993
Racer

Received 124 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Please dont push your personal limits on the street. The guy in the wrx right in front of me decided to do that and ended up on his roof down an embankment. Not worth it
Yes pushing limits should be done primarily at track / closed course / autocross etc.
Aside from a little backroad fun here and there
Old 04-03-2021, 06:35 AM
doug_999
Rennlist Member

Received 862 Likes on 441 Posts

Originally Posted by Diane Garcia
Maybe you should have ordered a manual transmission. Much more interactive and not boring!
Actually he did!

Old 04-03-2021, 10:45 AM
Russian Mafia
Burning Brakes

Received 857 Likes on 419 Posts

I wonder if I was living in a flat urban area whether I'd get bored with my 992. Roads matter. Around here the mountain roads have been closed for the snow season but current unseasonably warm weather means they'll begin to open. Motorcycles and sports cars are all of a sudden out and about, getting ready.
Old 04-03-2021, 11:49 AM
phaser
Banned

Received 429 Likes on 238 Posts

I was referring to the most recent one where he went down an embankment and ended up on it’s side (I believe). Luckily, no 3rd party was hurt? Allegedly, the police know the reason for his crash, and will not release information, citing privacy. I suspect that is related to medication he was taking for his back? If that was the case, then he should have known better not to drive while medicated...and damn lucky an innocent person wasn’t hurt....or $$$.
Tiger Woods has been through at least one course of drug rehab, no secrets there. He has relapsed if he is once again ingesting narcotics for whatever reason. He should have been drug tested after that accident as any of us commoners would have been.
Old 04-03-2021, 02:00 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Received 2,249 Likes on 1,277 Posts

Originally Posted by phaser
Tiger Woods has been through at least one course of drug rehab, no secrets there. He has relapsed if he is once again ingesting narcotics for whatever reason. He should have been drug tested after that accident as any of us commoners would have been.

Totally agree. But as we all know, justice isn’t “blind”. Some get preferential treatment...

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 04-03-2021 at 07:56 PM.
Old 04-03-2021, 07:36 PM
phaser
Banned

Totally agree. Buy as we all know, justice isn’t “blind”. Some get preferential treatment...
Woods is the text book picture of a pathological narcissist.
Old 04-11-2021, 09:31 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 853 Likes on 468 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d
I had an F90 Comp.

It's fast, but the steering is REALLY numb. It's pretty isolated from the road. I got bored with it, but it's got tons of space and it will move.

It's technically faster than a 992, but it's a pretty subtle difference if you ask me. I really don't think this will scratch that itch.

Any car that you drive daily will get boring. Doesn't matter what it is. I used to daily drive a GT4. Same deal. At the end of the day, a daily driver becomes like an appliance. I think getting a "special car" as your weekend/track toy is the key.

My 992 is my daily driver and I keep a 993 as my weekend toy. This works for me.
That is why my 992 is NOT my daily driver...I have an RS5 SB for that. Can haul azz and almost anything I need/want for that. Fast as blazed and size is perfect for me...RS7's are great but a bit too big an too much power for size although I think the new RS6 Avant is the new sweet spot. Wish they could bring the RS4 Avant here for those who want one but I digress. But right now I swap between the two and say drive the Audi for a week or two or maybe longer then I swap back to the 992. Often I find myself wanting the 992 for one reason and the RS5 for another...like we had a bunch of bad weather for like 2-3 weeks straight..storms, etc...I spent that time in the Audi...but when the weather cleared I was ready for 992 time! . For me that balance has helped since I got my 1st Porsche (1999 996 C2) which was paired with a 2001 BMW 328ix at the time and then later on a 2003 BMW M3 and a 2005 Carrera base! Yin and yang I call it. Helps a lot more than you'd think IMHO.

My 992 was ordered how I want and got a manual too so driver involvement is there vs my prior PDK car which does everything quicker than I can/do but does lead to lack of involvement and excitement to some. Have had a BMW F80 (2015) prior which I also tuned which my my DD for a time along with my 991.1 so understand the BMW's rawness and feel...but then again launch control and torque after tuning it felt like the car wanted to throw me into a ditch every time I tried to push it past 70% of normal so that one I was ok with letting it go. Understand that part too...if that is what defines a "great car" for you then the 992 won't get you there. It does it all well and makes even the novice driver look great...now a days...now get an 997 GT2 or something and yeah your like WILL get exciting if you try to drive it like a maniac and you likely will have fun stories to tell if the car doesn't kill you first. Heard many a story of that one and a few other earlier GT3 cars. But hey the 992 is not for you...fine. Take some time and find the one that does....plenty out there on my bucket list that I have not had yet but I think the 992 will stay in the garage always cause without a Porsche in there...well for me it just isn't right!

Good luck with your "transition" and agree in the current market for a GT silver coupe w/manual you shouldn't have ANY problems esp if its in good condition and miles and equipped nicely. Let us know what happens! GL

Last edited by mdrobc1213; 04-11-2021 at 09:41 AM.
Old 04-11-2021, 01:22 PM
malibu515
Burning Brakes

Received 511 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by phaser
Woods is the text book picture of a pathological narcissist.
Doesn't matter. With mangled legs his career is done.
Old 04-11-2021, 03:31 PM
Hormazd Dalal
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 72 Posts

OP should have got a manual.
Old 04-11-2021, 03:52 PM
phaser
Banned

Originally Posted by malibu515
Doesn't matter. With mangled legs his career is done.
Absolutely no question about it. He was becoming a hood ornament on the pro golf tour and now will be lucky to compete in any of the senior outings.
He can get back on his feet and go full time gambling and ho bagging in Vegas.
Old 04-12-2021, 10:46 AM
Scott Mayers
Intermediate

Received 76 Likes on 17 Posts

Thank you everyone for your opinions, input, discussion and suggestions. Maybe a GT car is in my future.

That said, one thing that has me longing for my 992S again is having a dealer loaner Cayenne. Shortly after authoring this thread I had to my my car in the shop for a variety of recurring warranty items (this time it was the steering column), recurring check engine, validate the engine mount campaign, etc.). So I've been driving their base loaner car around for the past 10 days and well. All of the sudden my 992S seems a hell of a lot more inspiring. .

I know one thing for certain, like most of you, I haven't driven a car with < 400 HP in probably 8-9 years. I think perhaps I'm just not used to the power delivery of the 992S (previous cars were M3 ZCP, two 550s with tt v-8, panamera 4s). I'm actually looking forward to getting my car back and then driving it for a couple of weeks to see if some of the excitement is back. If not, someone's going to get a hell of a deal on my car.
Old 04-12-2021, 10:51 AM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,622 Likes on 822 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott Mayers
Thank you everyone for your opinions, input, discussion and suggestions. Maybe a GT car is in my future.

That said, one thing that has me longing for my 992S again is having a dealer loaner Cayenne. Shortly after authoring this thread I had to my my car in the shop for a variety of recurring warranty items (this time it was the steering column), recurring check engine, validate the engine mount campaign, etc.). So I've been driving their base loaner car around for the past 10 days and well. All of the sudden my 992S seems a hell of a lot more inspiring. .

I know one thing for certain, like most of you, I haven't driven a car with < 400 HP in probably 8-9 years. I think perhaps I'm just not used to the power delivery of the 992S (previous cars were M3 ZCP, two 550s with tt v-8, panamera 4s). I'm actually looking forward to getting my car back and then driving it for a couple of weeks to see if some of the excitement is back. If not, someone's going to get a hell of a deal on my car.
^ I will continue to maintain that DD your 992S is exactly why it may be getting boring.

I see so many people in Dodge Challengers, Mustangs, etc that have been decorated with numbers, race stripes, etc etc yet......yawn......they DD these things on their regular commutes and errands. Unless you have to, I don't see the point. Driving a sports car or muscle car in a boring fashion on traffic clogged streets next to families and grandmas.....you might as well be driving a Prius.

If you want to be more excited about your 992, don't drive it for anything else but for fun. As I've mentioned before, I've taken my 992 to work a few times and on each occasion it was a snooze fest. If I had to do that EVERY DAY, I'd tire of this car pretty quickly.
The following users liked this post:
Carlo_Carrera (04-12-2021)
Old 04-12-2021, 07:10 PM
Gentian21
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Tupper
^ I will continue to maintain that DD your 992S is exactly why it may be getting boring.

I see so many people in Dodge Challengers, Mustangs, etc that have been decorated with numbers, race stripes, etc etc yet......yawn......they DD these things on their regular commutes and errands. Unless you have to, I don't see the point. Driving a sports car or muscle car in a boring fashion on traffic clogged streets next to families and grandmas.....you might as well be driving a Prius.

If you want to be more excited about your 992, don't drive it for anything else but for fun. As I've mentioned before, I've taken my 992 to work a few times and on each occasion it was a snooze fest. If I had to do that EVERY DAY, I'd tire of this car pretty quickly.
I disagree, having driven 911s to work every day for years. If anything, the car put a smile on my face after a long day at the office. Oftentimes, driving to and from work was the high point of my day. Taking the car out on weekends for fun is not mutually exclusive with appreciating the car every day. For most people, restricting their 911's for relatively infrequent back road runs will result in cars that rack up only two or three thousand miles a year. What a waste. Sure, after a while, any possession loses some of its initial luster, but that doesn't mean one shouldn't aspire to live in a great house because it's lived in every day, and not just on special occasions.
The following 3 users liked this post by Gentian21:
Helios59 (04-12-2021), Noah Fect (04-12-2021), Russian Mafia (04-12-2021)

Quick Reply: Not finding the 992s exciting. Am I the only one?