Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What discount should I ask for for a custom 992 order?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2021 | 02:47 PM
Motorin Mark
Pro

Originally Posted by Russian Mafia
We’re in an environment of rising prices for most luxury goods not plowed under by Covid, particularly things that alleviate boredom. Watches are just one example. Around here luxury home development costs have doubled in two years without it causing any deceleration in activity. I’ve never seen so much money in affluent pockets before. If I’m a Porsche dealer I certainly know this yet I can barely capitalize on it because I have less to sell than in the past, not more. Then I get a notice from Porsche they’re raising their prices 2%. 2%? That’s like inflation. So I’m looking at making up the difference between actual supply and demand pricing and MSRP by reducing/eliminating discounts and exploring dealer mark-up. Porsche of course knows this too. Maybe it’s their way of keeping dealers afloat. Or maybe they’re just anticipating an eventual return to normal and don’t want to have to reduce pricing or jeopardize the great thing they have going. In any event until something changes upward price pressure will continue and dealer mark-up will become more common. If things don’t change for an extended time it may become the norm.

Exactly, Well said.
Old 04-06-2021 | 10:57 PM
nyca
Drifting

You wonder why the dealer market for the 911 didn't evolve like the one for the Corvette - a handful of mega dealers, 7-10, sell the majority of cars in the country. They sell "mail order" to every state in the country. They worked their dealerships to get the majority of the allocations in the country, year after year, never selling above MSRP and always discounting as soon as the market got soft for the car. There don't seem to be any mega Porsche dealers for the 911 (??, I always hear about Champion in Florida) - does anyone have a chart of 911 deliveries in the US by dealership?
Old 04-06-2021 | 11:00 PM
4 Rings
Racer

Originally Posted by nyca
You wonder why the dealer market for the 911 didn't evolve like the one for the Corvette - a handful of mega dealers, 7-10, sell the majority of cars in the country. They sell "mail order" to every state in the country. They worked their dealerships to get the majority of the allocations in the country, year after year, never selling above MSRP and always discounting as soon as the market got soft for the car. There don't seem to be any mega Porsche dealers for the 911 (??, I always hear about Champion in Florida) - does anyone have a chart of 911 deliveries in the US by dealership?

From what I’ve heard Beverly Hills, championship and dallas sell the most in the country. But don’t hold me to that.
Old 04-07-2021 | 04:01 PM
JAB12
Rennlist Member

Question

Originally Posted by Motorin Mark
Exactly, Well said.
What color is the car on your avatar GT or Dolomite Silver? Thank you.
Old 04-07-2021 | 05:07 PM
Motorin Mark
Pro

Originally Posted by JAB12
What color is the car on your avatar GT or Dolomite Silver? Thank you.
Dolomite. Love it.
The following users liked this post:
JAB12 (04-07-2021)
Old 04-07-2021 | 05:18 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Originally Posted by riwu
Looking to order a custom build 2021 992, ETA delivery by July. Most dealers told me the allocation is very limited so they won't offer any discount.
Is this true? What would be a realistic discount to negotiate for?
This is in the US.

Discount on a custom build for July? Good one. 😂
Old 04-07-2021 | 06:50 PM
JAB12
Rennlist Member

@OP. In current climate thre is no discount. The dealers for once are not giving you BS. Demand for 911s has well exceeded their supply capabilities during Covid so expect to pay a premium or ADM, especially on a custom build where their risk is higher in case you cancel. Someone posted a +$10K premium on a targa allocation. Not ideal but not crazy like +$25K on GT3 allocations. It'll only get worse before it gets better. Good luck everyone.
The following users liked this post:
mdrobc1213 (04-11-2021)
Old 04-07-2021 | 08:24 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JAB12
@OP. In current climate thre is no discount. The dealers for once are not giving you BS. Demand for 911s has well exceeded their supply capabilities during Covid so expect to pay a premium or ADM, especially on a custom build where their risk is higher in case you cancel. Someone posted a +$10K premium on a targa allocation. Not ideal but not crazy like +$25K on GT3 allocations. It'll only get worse before it gets better. Good luck everyone.
You can’t be absolute like that because it isn’t true. I have a discount on an August build.
Old 04-07-2021 | 09:15 PM
SBAD
Pro

Originally Posted by rk-d
You can’t be absolute like that because it isn’t true. I have a discount on an August build.
But when did you negotiate the price for that August build? And don't you have a track record with that dealer? I think he was referring to the OP, being new to Porsche, going today to try and find an allocation. I assume everyone agrees there are always going to be exceptions to the rule.
Old 04-07-2021 | 09:23 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Originally Posted by SBAD
But when did you negotiate the price for that August build? And don't you have a track record with that dealer? I think he was referring to the OP, being new to Porsche, going today to try and find an allocation. I assume everyone agrees there are always going to be exceptions to the rule.
Totally agree. Trying to get a discount, TODAY, and then also expect a July delivery on a custom build, is 6-sigma off the norm. Are there exceptions? Sure, that’s why i said 6-signal.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 04-07-2021 at 09:25 PM.
Old 04-07-2021 | 10:11 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SBAD

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
Totally agree. Trying to get a discount, TODAY, and then also expect a July delivery on a custom build, is 6-sigma off the norm. Are there exceptions? Sure, that’s why i said 6-signal.
2 months ago. I've already written my story on this and I agree it's the exception to the norm, but I personally believe it's happening more than you guys may think. My build was slated for July but we slid it to August to get PTS.

Listen, I agree MSRP is king right now. My point is not to make anyone feel bad about not getting a discount - but rather to suggest that it is not unreasonable to try and get one. I don't believe it's completely unrealistic, even for someone new to the game (assuming they are a local). The local market dynamics matter more than anything, IMO.

My $0.02 anyway

Old 04-07-2021 | 10:26 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Originally Posted by rk-d
2 months ago. I've already written my story on this and I agree it's the exception to the norm, but I personally believe it's happening more than you guys may think. My build was slated for July but we slid it to August to get PTS.

Listen, I agree MSRP is king right now. My point is not to make anyone feel bad about not getting a discount - but rather to suggest that it is not unreasonable to try and get one. I don't believe it's completely unrealistic, even for someone new to the game (assuming they are a local). The local market dynamics matter more than anything, IMO.

My $0.02 anyway
I ordered my car in early July 2020. I put down $15K to get the ball rolling. Cash deal. No financing or trade ins. Simple deal. I went through a number of promises from my dealership. I was told I would get my car in September/October....then it changed to December/January...then finally, May 2021. Still waiting, so we’ll see?

The OP is taking about two improbable events to happen, simultaneously - (1) getting a discount, and (2) getting delivery in July, or a mere 3-4 months after custom ordering in April. I say, 6-sigma...and I will stand by that. Impossible? No. Improbable? Yes.
Old 04-07-2021 | 10:37 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
I ordered my car in early July 2020. I put down $15K to get the ball rolling. Cash deal. No financing or trade ins. Simple deal. I went through a number of promises from my dealership. I was told I would get my car in September/October....then it changed to December/January...then finally, May 2021. Still waiting, so we’ll see?

The OP is taking about two improbable events to happen, simultaneously - (1) getting a discount, and (2) getting delivery in July, or a mere 3-4 months after custom ordering in April. I say, 6-sigma...and I will stand by that. Impossible? No. Improbable? Yes.
Sorry man. That sucks. There is so much variation between dealers and markets...VIPs can also bump your spot and that's an X factor that's very hard to assess.
Old 04-07-2021 | 10:40 PM
Kurac
Racer

[QUOTE=CodyBigdog;17350956]I ordered my car in early July 2020. I put down $15K to get the ball rolling. Cash deal. No financing or trade ins. Simple deal. I went through a number of promises from my dealership. I was told I would get my car in September/October....then it changed to December/January...then finally, May 2021. Still waiting, so we’ll see?

Something seems off. Why the long wait time to delivery?
Did your dealer actually ever have an allocation early in the buying process? Did they trade your allocation to someone willing to pay more?
I secured my allocation early March and my delivery is end of May....all this year.
Old 04-07-2021 | 10:51 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Originally Posted by Kurac
Something seems off. Why the long wait time to delivery?
Did your dealer actually ever have an allocation early in the buying process? Did they trade your allocation to someone willing to pay more?
I secured my allocation early March and my delivery is end of May....all this year.
I think there are many people on here that waited 6 months, or longer for their custom build 992. If you ordered a custom build 992, in March, and are getting your car in May, based on the many comments I have read on here, you are the exception, not the rule.

No he did not have an allocation early on, but was “sure” he would soon get one. As a newbie to the “Porsche experience”, I had zero appreciation of what this even meant.

I suspect I got bumped because I had a good discount....to someone willing to pay full price, or take a smaller discount? But no proof of that. But I suspect, in a tight market, that the discount plays a factor in when you get an allocation.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 04-07-2021 at 10:56 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by CodyBigdog:
mdrobc1213 (04-11-2021), SBAD (04-08-2021)

Quick Reply: What discount should I ask for for a custom 992 order?