Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What discount should I ask for for a custom 992 order?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2021, 10:34 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,478 Likes on 2,816 Posts

👆 And....THIS is why people don't want to talk about their discounts on RL.
Old 04-10-2021, 10:44 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Received 2,246 Likes on 1,275 Posts

Originally Posted by riwu
The part that says they might have screwed their existing customers, and I'm not going to get them in trouble.
I'm sure they are not in need of referral given what has been discussed this thread.

What do you think I'm lying about and what incentive do you think I have for doing so?

RE: “I’m not going to get them in trouble”?

With whom? Anything the SA does, has to be signed off by the GM, so, if you got put to the head of the line, at the expense of other customers, because it meant more profit for the dealership...well, that’s business....and most assuredly, the GM authorized the move.

RE: “They are not in need of referrals...”.

Ridiculous. That must be a new business model? Good one.

Now I’m done with this nonsense.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 04-10-2021 at 10:45 PM.
Old 04-10-2021, 10:45 PM
riwu
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog

With whom? Anything the SA does, has to be signed off by the GM, so, if you got put to the head of the line, at the expense of other customers, because it meant more profit for the dealership...well, that’s business....and most assuredly, the GM authorized the move.

I was in talk with the GM directly.
I'm not talking about getting an SA in trouble, I'm talking about getting the GM in trouble with his other customers. I thought that's pretty clear from the start.

If I were a dealer, I don't need 100 calls from out of state customers asking about an allocation I don't have.

Last edited by riwu; 04-10-2021 at 10:48 PM.
Old 04-11-2021, 03:06 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 833 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by GoBlue!
I was just offered a new 2020 C2S at MSRP.
Wow!
Originally Posted by GoBlue!
I am passing. 2 year old car at this point. Just to the point of how bad things are.
Yeah I would too!
Originally Posted by SBAD
I was in the same boat and got an allocation in March too. But here in the Mid Atlantic, it was MSRP or go home
Yikes
Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
We are a medium sized dealer selling ~50 911's a year and the only cars coming in unsold are a few base coupes. All the S/4s/turbo/targa models are on a waiting list. Very little inventory nationwide.
Yep..that's what I see/hear too.
Originally Posted by rk-d
To paraphrase one of my wife's favorite movies... Bragging about getting a discount is like bragging about being tall.

I got my allocation last week and got a strong discount. I'm not the only one getting these, but I'm 100% confident that it's the exception to the rule. These are my non-insider thoughts...

Prior purchase history does seem to play a role - it only makes sense that people with strong, recent and frequent purchase histories get some advantage. But it's not a guarantee and clearly every dealer is different in how this works. It's easy to be a big fish in a little pond. Being a heavy hitter in Miami or LA would take some impressive spending. I do know that being local to the dealer makes a difference. I believe PCNA favors this and, for the dealer, having high end cars locally serves as great advertisement.

I also believe that dealers are awarded allocations based on their sales performance, market conditions as well as capital investment in the dealership itself.

I've bought a new Porsche basically every year now for the past 5 years. I'm also local to a dealer in a market where where discounts are viable. I'm pretty sure that customers are who aren't local don't get the same consideration. So luck has something to do with it. (Out of respect, I'd rather not advertise who my dealer is)

Some people may get lucky with cold calls. That's pure luck. If that ends up working, then..awesome! But, calling every dealer in the country is no guarantee of an allocation, much less a discount, IMO

Based on my read of the market - getting an allocation at all, right now, is a win. Getting a discount is fortunate, but negotiating skill is only a small part of the equation. The only thing I'd really be adamant about - Don't pay ADMs on a non-GT car. Honestly, I wouldn't pay an ADM on anything, but paying one on a non-GT car is just a bad idea.
ADM no way and not where you want to be I agree as many do but I think given the current inventory vs supply vs buyers for these cars now currently it IS part of the equation or a factor as is willingness to pay MSRP for anyone wanting a car soon or now given most dealers now do not have cars and thus is truly a sellers market thus the ADMs and MSRP only deals we are seeing especially for 1st time owners and/or out of state buyers. I really wonder how many cars are being sold locally vs sold and shipped/taken out of state for 992 sales over the last 12 mos given the number of folks who've had to buy a car non-local?
I will say that it seems a search for a C2 has the best odds of success. C2S, C4S, Targa - that's a different story. I was offered two C2 allocations during my search for a C2S.

And all because I wanted that damn manual transmission... I better like it when it comes!
You will...I specifically also by passed and avail C2 allocation for a C2S last spring cause I wanted a manual and luckily my SA found me one about 7-10 days later but that was Jul 2020. No such luck I hear of that happening as easily now a days. You'll love the manual. Driving it involves me so much in the car and keeps a smile on my face. It is THAT good!
Originally Posted by marrast
I submitted a build online. The sales manager called me the next day and said that they had a C2 allocation that locked at the end of the month. I went in the next day and ordered it. When I first got the link to my build it was a totally different car. I assume the dealer had ordered it for sale on their lot and offered me the spot. The build was updated the next day to my specification, with the exception of lightweight glass which was nixxed. I'm in Nashville.
Very lucky and opportune momment...see my comments below on this as it was likely a drop out from their ordered customer car list..especially given the quick lock date soon).
Agreed to a C2S order with first dealer in mid October. 7% discount and a promise of an allocation in one month. $5K deposit and I was 1st on the waiting list they said. Still no allocation in January. Started looking at other dealers and through Rennlist, got an allocation from another dealer early March. Allocation received immediately. Order locks end of April and delivery scheduled for June 23.
Common theme...deposit paid. no allocation...little/no info. Buyer goes to alternative dealer (often RL provided) and allocation and commission number given and car ordered. Rinse and repeat! Congrats SBAD.
Originally Posted by JCZ5
I'm curious if people were able to get Targa 4S discounts right now?
That's funny....I think trend on RL posts has been NOPE not now...maybe for cars ordered earlier in the year or last Fall/Winter. But looking around is your best maybe only option for a custom ordered car. On the lot..maybe so...better chances would think. GL
Originally Posted by Vaidas Cikotas
I had to go out of state to get an allocation as my dealer had no answers for me, I originally put down a deposit last July and never got any real information other than hurry up and wait. After talking to the Sales Manager after months of nothing, he said they have 50 deposits on different variations of the 992 so I sure as hell wasn't a priority and since I had negotiated a 6 percent discount, I was probably even further down the list. Only after diving deep into this forum did I realize that the only way I was going to get an allocation is if I went looking for one. I contacted a Dealer that was mentioned in this forum and the SA said he could get me an allocation... and he did! I did get a 5 percent discount but that price was negotiated back in December, When he got me my allocation in March, he said that he could honor the discount because we agreed a few months ago but anyone coming in the door currently was only getting MSRP. My build locked in March and production starts in a week. Car will be on a ship by the end of the month. I am also doing the Atlanta Delivery experience and received an e-mail from them telling me I can expect a window of late June to early July for my delivery. Once the car finishes production, a more specific date will be available. I'm now only a few months away from my C2S Cab MT and can't wait. From my understanding, it's just as impossible to find a 2022 allocation at this point as the worldwide chip shortage continues to be an issue for all car manufacturers including Porsche. I see questions on here asking should I get the 2022 vs the 2021? I doubt most can get either one right now. Allocations are at a trickle at best and I would suspect most dealers have a huge waiting list. That being said, I found one so I'm sure if you're willing to do the work, you can probably find one somewhere as well. The demand for Porsche cars is so high, my local dealer doesn't have a single new car on the lot.. they are begging people to sell them their older model year cars. Btw, a deposit doesn't mean squat.. until you have an e-mail from Porsche that looks like this, you don't have an allocation

Congratulations on the order of your new 911. We would like to invite you to be a part of our exclusive service, where you can track your vehicle's journey from our Stuttgart Zuffenhausen factory in Germany to your authorized Porsche dealership.

Below you will find a link to your personal Porsche Track Your Dream feature giving you unprecedented access to the ordering, production, and delivery processes as they happen. This provides you the opportunity to track the evolution of your dream Porsche vehicle. Therefore, we kindly ask you to register for a Porsche ID via the My Porsche portal.

To access your vehicle, please register on the My Porsche portal with your email address:
An email or printout with a or shall I say your commission # is golden...with that Porsche NA can look up your data and even send you at TYD link to your MyPorsche account if it is not showing. Took about 3 weeks to get my commission # and TYD all linked up but did finally. Not that accurate but its better than nothing and does confirm a car is being built, ready, or shipped in your name!
Originally Posted by RedTide
I was told I'm first on the list for a C4S allocation. But that was in January and I'm still waiting... So maybe that was just to sucker me into a deposit.
More than likely...some dealers won't take a deposit for a car they have not allocation for given it just ends up pissing the customer off to have to keep answering questions on "when is my car coming" when they either have nothing to sell/tell you or no intent on giving you a car now (aka there are others in line or preferred ahead of you). So they don't do it. Others will take your money gladly. Due diligence I've heard and found is the best bet there..
Originally Posted by sali1980
I got 8% in June of 2020 on 992S since I was trading in another 991.2 lease. Recently I asked for GTS allocation (originally asked for Gt3 and was told to get lost) and I was told 0% discount. I put a deposit down and we will see what happens.
Yeah hear folks asking for GTS's and discounts and dealers just going silent on the other end of the phone or conversation or just flat out saying NO! Others laughing at customers asking for GTS's allocations and wanting the car this summer July/Aug...with dealers saying "shyt they can't even get a regular C2S in and feel LUCKY to see a 911 even if its a base 992" come in the door or show up online in their systems. I think expectations of the public and some buyers esp those new to the Porsche game are waaay outstripping reality. This is like what I've heard Ferrari buying is like...almost!

Originally Posted by Vaidas Cikotas
The Manager told me he has 750k in deposits for cars that he can't get. Allocations are just not coming in at any volume so every car has been spoken for from a deposit that is over a year old. I was waiting for 9 months thinking I had a good spot... Not saying the dealer is being dishonest, I just don't think they really know either. They have so many buyers and so few cars that they have no answers. They don't have any cars at all, forget trying to get a 992 unless someone drops out. This is a significant dealer in the southeast. I have talked to numerous Sales guys there and they joke about having to find a new job as they have nothing to sell anyone.... Seems to be a similar story just about everywhere. I feel really lucky to be getting a car this summer... If you find an allocation for what you want, consider yourself extremely lucky!
Yes my dealership had to cut some staff or furlough them for a few months in Mar-Jun 2020 due to COVID and lockdowns. Couldn't sell a car so why have SA's. That has changed a bit but now inventory is the limiting factor. Still folks to sell car to but no cars. Lots more work on selling pre-owned and prying cars out of hands of current owners like myself. Had an email from one of my former dealers asking me to part with my 21' CS2 manual for pretty much what I paid for it plus a few K almost for my trouble....how the HELL then knew I had one (listed my model and VIN) is beyond be as I had not had any contact with them directly since buying my wife's Panamera from them in 2012!!
Went by my dealer today. There are almost no cars in there. It was bizarre. It's a bad deal with sports cars - an emotional purchase like that is often spontaneous and having zero inventory makes it really tough. Crazy times.
Yes rk-d...that is the general rule of thumb no a days. My dealership has ONE 992 posted online and not even sure if that is not spoken for. Nothing on the lot. Maybe 1 Boxster/Cayman too...not even that many used 911's so it is bizarre. Have heard similar from around the country...last spoke to my SA maybe a month ago in just passing while in the dealership for something and mentioned the darth of cars and how I was glad to have ordered mine last summer and got delivery around Thanksgiving and he laughed and said yes I was lucky timing wise and that was with him having to go find an allocation for MY car which took him about a week back then in late July 2020. Now he says he has at least 1/2 dozen folks lined up for each 911 model allocation he gets and they are paying MSRP. I think handful of GTS inquires and all at MSRP a few offering more to get bumped in line (prestige and ego I guess and lack of patience falls into play here I guess) and that car isn't announced and he has no allocations and no idea when they will arrive/release - thinks late summer for early 2022 deliveries MAYBE. Back in late Feb he searched and found about 120 open cars on Porsche dealer lots across the US...that was it. Allocations open were less than 25 for various models...majority open still at that time were C2s so I think that falls into line with what many are seeing...C2 easier to find and get, C2S very low to almost impossible as are Targas also. C4's easier than C4S's and Turbos well how does 2022 look for getting a car. Not much has changed in 30-45 days excecpt a few more allocations have trickled in and I think possibly a few drop outs (financing, job changes, COVID19, etc) from some of the waiting lists resulting in a few cars being avail to those calling at the right time and place (that may hold true also given some posts of very short allocation to lock window timeframes and initial car showing up in TYD as other than spec'd by the buyer and then changing within a few days to what they ordered/wanted). Bottom line is probably for most of 2021 and maybe even into 2022 getting a luxury sport car and one at significant discount will be the exception to the rule for many and take some effort unless you happen to own or be a relative of business partner of a dealership I think! Nothing seems to show things even in regular life in the US; let alone globally will return to any full normalcy till Fall/Winter 2021...that is a long time guys/gals so I think it'll take a bit for the rest of the "effect" so settle down and reach some new normal. Just my 2 cents.
👆 And....THIS is why people don't want to talk about their discounts on RL.
Yep..LOL. Just say I got a discount...if you want to keep it on the DL..then DM me and I'll share the dealership or general city maybe. No need to put it out direct on the forum. However guys most of you guys do know that you post your cars online at some point and anyone with a laptop can probably figure it out and reverse engineer where you are and got your car from given enough info...just saying! LOL
I was in talk with the GM directly.
I'm not talking about getting an SA in trouble, I'm talking about getting the GM in trouble with his other customers. I thought that's pretty clear from the start.

If I were a dealer, I don't need 100 calls from out of state customers asking about an allocation I don't have.
SMDH...this here. You could DM him the dealership forget giving a name and solve the problem and BIGCODYDOG could just call blindly and ask. Sometime folks on the forum like to seemingly play games and keep what they see are big secrets/advantages over another owner/potential buyer. Its not that serious or hard. Someone on the RL probably was trying/willing to help you out to...remember that. its karma! Just saying...
The following 2 users liked this post by mdrobc1213:
Matthew Cuomo (05-05-2021), SBAD (04-12-2021)
Old 04-11-2021, 04:17 PM
riwu
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog

Now I’m done with this nonsense.
I just got another contact who has an allocation (not sure if this one is willing to give any discount).
I will send you his contact.
The following users liked this post:
SBAD (04-12-2021)
Old 05-04-2021, 09:23 PM
westsiderkg
Racer

Received 128 Likes on 90 Posts

If anyone has a lead on a c4s allocation and want to help a friend out in the northeast please PM me, tks. Having a hard time with my local dealers.
Old 05-04-2021, 09:37 PM
JCZ5
Pro

Received 372 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by westsiderkg
If anyone has a lead on a c4s allocation and want to help a friend out in the northeast please PM me, tks. Having a hard time with my local dealers.
At this point, I don’t think anyone would have any available allocations to give. Remember, Porsche gives out non-GT allocations every quarter. So the next allocation release is in June. I would contact as many dealers to get on the waiting list and/or call during the first week of June. I know my dealer does first come first serve for non-GT allocations and I was lucky enough to get a C2S and Targa 4S last quarter (due to calling). But in the end I gave both up for a chance at a GT car.
mdrobc1213 (05-06-2021)
Old 05-04-2021, 09:39 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Received 2,246 Likes on 1,275 Posts

I just got another contact who has an allocation (not sure if this one is willing to give any discount).

Thanks, but my friend/colleague wasn’t willing to wait, so went in a different direction...and got boat, instead. But thanks.
Old 05-04-2021, 10:29 PM
JAB12
Rennlist Member

Received 627 Likes on 362 Posts

The description on this listing summarizes everything that is going on with this picture and current shortage or perceived shortage. I’ll bet a beer the guy will sell it at his ask. No cars.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/114792546140
Old 05-04-2021, 10:40 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,478 Likes on 2,816 Posts

Originally Posted by JCZ5
At this point, I don’t think anyone would have any available allocations to give. Remember, Porsche gives out non-GT allocations every quarter. So the next allocation release is in June. I would contact as many dealers to get on the waiting list and/or call during the first week of June. I know my dealer does first come first serve for non-GT allocations and I was lucky enough to get a C2S and Targa 4S last quarter (due to calling). But in the end I gave both up for a chance at a GT car.
I heard a bunch of the '21 builds were pushed to production. Porsche is gearing up '22. Who knows - allocations may open up at some point out of the blue.
Old 05-05-2021, 12:26 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,777 Likes on 5,141 Posts

Originally Posted by westsiderkg
Why limit yourself to the NE?
Old 05-05-2021, 12:41 AM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,687 Likes on 1,264 Posts

Originally Posted by JAB12
The description on this listing summarizes everything that is going on with this picture and current shortage or perceived shortage. I’ll bet a beer the guy will sell it at his ask. No cars.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/114792546140
Wow! That is an absolutely, positively, 100% insane asking price. But you're probably correct; here in L.A. he make actually get it.
Old 05-05-2021, 12:56 AM
Matthew Cuomo
Former Vendor

Received 40 Likes on 18 Posts

mdro1213, I love how you summed everything up right there.
mdrobc1213 (05-06-2021)
Old 05-05-2021, 01:01 AM
Matthew Cuomo
Former Vendor

Where are they located? Your contact?
Old 05-05-2021, 01:35 AM
Matthew Cuomo
Former Vendor

I went back and looked at everything... I could be wrong however sometimes when a SA like myself wants to make sales they use RL to do so. There is a fee to be a sponsor with RL which I gladly agree to pay so I can represent myself as a Porsche Brand Ambassador with full transparency. Some SA don't want to pay that fee so they go into the forums, strike up conversations and say they have a "contact" which the are so eager to give out. Little does anyone know the "contact" is actual them. Most of the time they are new members that joined a few months prior. Mainly because you can be band for life by RL under an account and then need to start a whole new one to get back on. Like I said though, I could be wrong.

Quick Reply: What discount should I ask for for a custom 992 order?