Instrument Cluster display blacked out completely During Driving

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2022, 12:15 PM
Mikey K
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 21 Posts

Feels like a CanBus error to me.
I've had it on other cars.
One of the numerous modules on it overload or lock up, causing others to reset or lock up.
Nearly always took a visit to the dealer to track down the errant module and re flash or replace it.
Old 01-28-2022, 04:18 PM
mind
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

i have the same issue. My car has been waiting on parts since december 23rd. They received the part on 22nd of january. They installed it but now they can't change the time... They now ordered a different instrument cluster with different part number which they say is another 3-4 weeks... I am disgusted with the dealerships attitude and service. Im still waiting to hear back the compansation details but so far nothing
The following users liked this post:
breny4104 (01-28-2022)
Old 05-21-2022, 10:15 AM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 787 Posts

Originally Posted by mind
i have the same issue. My car has been waiting on parts since december 23rd. They received the part on 22nd of january. They installed it but now they can't change the time... They now ordered a different instrument cluster with different part number which they say is another 3-4 weeks... I am disgusted with the dealerships attitude and service. Im still waiting to hear back the compansation details but so far nothing
Were you able to resolve the issue permanently and completely?
Old 05-21-2022, 10:27 AM
Cst
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 31 Posts

My center PCM screen has blacked out has 3 or 4 times when I've had android auto connected. Helps to reboot the phone

Last edited by Cst; 05-21-2022 at 10:28 AM.
Old 05-21-2022, 10:31 AM
mind
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by gcurnew
Were you able to resolve the issue permanently and completely?
my issue was fixed last week. Previously on march dealership replaced my instrument cluster. My screeen came back to life but we lost our ability to change the time and also my sport chrono package did not work.
last week they replaced the cluster again with the new one and now it is working.
Also i had an isssue with my burnester sound system. Apparently it is because the insulation in the door panel was not properly pressed, so when the bass hits it rattles. They fixed that too.
fixing these 2 little issues took 6 months! From december to en of may!
This experience really ruined the car experience for me. I will not work with the same dealership and most likely i wont buy a porsche as a next car for a while. Too much issues with service and parts. Horrible customer service.
Old 05-21-2022, 11:29 AM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,622 Likes on 822 Posts

^ Wow, that really sucks. I’m sure most people would feel the same way.

Old 05-21-2022, 11:32 AM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,622 Likes on 822 Posts

I basically don’t use Apple CarPlay and drive with ignorant bliss

Even in my BMW Apple CarPlay often disconnects. I never had a screen blackout, of course, but all in all I’m irritated with tech in cars.

Porsche is a driver’s car, so to me screw the tech features. I wish they would stop adding so much with each generation.

I like how McLaren keeps their tech very basic, and focus more on the driving experience
The following users liked this post:
Ull (09-20-2022)
Old 06-25-2022, 06:54 AM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Received 1,627 Likes on 684 Posts

This happened to my car yesterday. It has the newest PCM 6.0 with the colored tiles. Everything went blank for a few seconds. I was hoping this issue was solved. Has anyone else with the newest PCM experienced this?
Old 06-25-2022, 08:13 AM
991.1 Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 930 Likes on 489 Posts

my issue was fixed last week. Previously on march dealership replaced my instrument cluster. My screeen came back to life but we lost our ability to change the time and also my sport chrono package did not work.
last week they replaced the cluster again with the new one and now it is working.
Also i had an isssue with my burnester sound system. Apparently it is because the insulation in the door panel was not properly pressed, so when the bass hits it rattles. They fixed that too.
fixing these 2 little issues took 6 months! From december to en of may!
This experience really ruined the car experience for me. I will not work with the same dealership and most likely i wont buy a porsche as a next car for a while. Too much issues with service and parts. Horrible customer service.
Same experience here. I have been waiting for parts to fix a horrible rattle in my passenger door since I bought the car 9 months ago. The problem is so bad my wife refuses to take the car on a road trip until the noise is fixed. The poor quality control and parts unavailability has me reconsidering buying another Porsche. They should fix defective cars before producing more cars with the same known problem.
Old 09-20-2022, 11:08 AM
Sledgehammer2022
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down 2022 GTS Cab Instrument Cluster not working

I picked my GTS Cab up April 2022, everything was fine until I hit the 700 mile mark, the driver's door developed an annoying ticking / squeak at first it was faint, now it's extremely annoying, the door handles seem to work when they want to and the instrument cluster goes black soon after start up.
I bought the car to the dealer, briefing them about the issues I am having. They kept the car for a week and wanted to give it back with a "we couldn't find anything wrong" which is a nightmare to anyone who has owned a new 911.
They seemed puzzled as if they never heard of these issues. My salesman was great, the service department gets a "0" for not even attempting to fix anything. heading over to the dealer to speak to the service manager today...

i am at the same state as you are very frustrated and angry. We pay so much money for QC and PDI and yet this happens. I picked up my c4s 2022 model on 3rd of december, drove it for 2 days and my entire instrument clusters died. Loving the car but hating the service. They ordered new screen but they said delivery late january. They provided a loaner car but sucks not being able to drive in the holiday season. I have been looking forward to this day for a year now and this happens.
by the way for me they disconnected and connected the battery and my screens came back but we lost the color and pixels on the right screen. It worked until i came back home and it went out again. I left the car at the dealership till it is resolved.
if you like send me a pm to discuss the current status. Best of luck
Old 11-10-2022, 07:17 AM
messiry
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 40 Posts

Hi all, my 992 TT has now the same problem, while the service center was updating the SW, the cluster went completely off and doesn't come back, I cant believe such basic thing can happen. the bigger problem this part is not available and it take like 45 days or more for the replacement part to come. anyone found a solution at least temporary so I can drive the car?
thank you
Old 06-15-2024, 12:24 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,489 Likes on 1,088 Posts

Originally Posted by py0413
Never encountered this issue so far. The PCM screen in my 2020 cayenne does black out from time to time, but not the cluster display. Let us know if dealer gets to find out the reason. This is the worst problem with those digital displays. When they black out or frozen, there’s nothing you can do which really sucks.
My PCM blacked out today for the first time, MY20 Cayenne S with PCM 5.X. I was driving 70mph using wired CarPlay. CarPlay froze for one minute, then the PCM screen went black. The screen was warm, but not hot, to the touch. It would not reset on its own so I pushed and held the nav scroll wheel center button for about 15 seconds and it rebooted.

Is this a PCM issue or a main vehicle battery on its way out?

Quick Reply: Instrument Cluster display blacked out completely During Driving