Sponsored by:

Instrument Cluster display blacked out completely During Driving

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2021, 02:43 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,299 Likes on 1,366 Posts

Not sure how not connecting parking sensors (properly), for example, when applying PPF can cause a dash outage. More likely the connection behind the cluster could be the culprit or of course the cluster itself.

Best bet is while under warranty take it in, I would also, if you happen to have an analyzer (PIWIS or whatever), see if it's thrown any codes you can share with the dealer or figure it out yourself if possible.

GL

siberian
The following users liked this post:
Schwarz992C4S (01-10-2022)
Old 12-22-2021, 02:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 796 Likes on 427 Posts

I have this issue as well. Black out on dash for about 30ish seconds has happed a few times. 2022c2s(car delivery late November). Have noticed some other bugs such as weather constantly updating..random switching to car play audio from radio and every time I drop the kid at school the car beeps at me from the min he gets out till I put the car in park again. Sometimes lock chirp work, sometimes not, sometimes location sensor tones work, sometimes not.

Originally Posted by mind
how quickly are we talking about? Mine just had the same issue and hasn't come back yet... Driven the car in that state for little over 35km yesterday.
Old 12-22-2021, 02:49 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

And what was wrong with the time honored analog gauges that needed to be replaced, or the button for the odometer or...?

A lot of things seemed to have slipped through the vaunted Porsche QA lately... the rattle from the fuel tank...

siberian
verstraete (06-15-2024)
Old 12-22-2021, 02:57 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,366 Likes on 745 Posts

I got the same issue with the dashboard. If it's intermittent and no codes are stored, good luck having it fixed under VW warranty.

I also have this new coolant level message, that pops up whenever the car is cold, goes away and it's unrelated to the actual temps. Likely due to crappy battery making up errors due to low voltage on certain modules.

This is most likely my last 911. Gonna drive as much as I can, as it's the thing it actually does well.
Schwarz992C4S (01-10-2022)
Old 12-22-2021, 03:04 PM
mind
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 22992
I have this issue as well. Black out on dash for about 30ish seconds has happed a few times. 2022c2s(car delivery late November). Have noticed some other bugs such as weather constantly updating..random switching to car play audio from radio and every time I drop the kid at school the car beeps at me from the min he gets out till I put the car in park again. Sometimes lock chirp work, sometimes not, sometimes location sensor tones work, sometimes not.
looks like we got it around the same time. I got mine early december 2022 model c4s. In my case its completely gone. Just came back from the dealership they will start looking at it today and see what is going on. But no warnings popped up in the PCM or in the app. Curious what the cause is. I will share my experience once I get more information
22992 (12-22-2021)
Old 12-22-2021, 03:08 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John Mclane
I got the same issue with the dashboard. If it's intermittent and no codes are stored, good luck having it fixed under VW warranty.

I also have this new coolant level message, that pops up whenever the car is cold, goes away and it's unrelated to the actual temps. Likely due to crappy battery making up errors due to low voltage on certain modules.

This is most likely my last 911. Gonna drive as much as I can, as it's the thing it actually does well.
Do I smell a 67 GTO, 57 Chevy or 71 Cuda in the air??????? You could sit in the engine bay actually work on a car and listen to your 8 track in STEREO! Never liked the digital dash

siberian
Old 12-22-2021, 03:57 PM
Cotechia
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Happened to me twice in 2 months but on the PCM. Eventually came back by itself but it was annoying
Old 12-22-2021, 04:27 PM
R0llTideEsq
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Cotechia
Happened to me twice in 2 months but on the PCM. Eventually came back by itself but it was annoying

I just experienced my PCM going out briefly as well. I was using CarPlay at the time and likely lost cellular reception because I was driving on some country roads. I wonder if loss of cell signal and PCM blackouts are related.
Old 12-22-2021, 04:30 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,366 Likes on 745 Posts

Originally Posted by siberian
Do I smell a 67 GTO, 57 Chevy or 71 Cuda in the air??????? You could sit in the engine bay actually work on a car and listen to your 8 track in STEREO! Never liked the digital dash

siberian
You're about right on the money there. I'm looking for something analog, but prices are nonsensical.
The digital dash has potential, but I think most brands are overdoing it. At least for now the analog tach is still there, but I'm not sure in the near future. On your PIWIS you probably saw a glimpse of the 911 future with auto drive/park, remote start, HUD, hybrid etc. it scares me a bit as they can't seem to get their app to work, imagine actual complicated tech that has impact on how the car drives.
Old 12-22-2021, 09:23 PM
mind
Intermediate

Update:
I took my car to the AD in the afternoon and dropped it off. I was contacted at the end of the day by the AD. They stated that disconnecting the battery from the car and connecting it back again, helped getting back the screens. That was the good news... The bad news was that the right side screen, bottom half of it lost its pixels and colors. They ordered a replacement... Until then they scheduled me a service date and told me it was safe to drive until then.
After I got home, I turned the engine off went home. Had to run an errand and went back to my car the same thing happened. I completely lost the screens once again. Gauges nothing works, can't see any warnings or fuel. Can't see my side indicators. Also along with losing the instrument gauges, I don't know if anyone else noticed this with their car but my sports chrono is winding by itself randomly... Also occasionally all the warning lights pop up for a second and then disappear. Lastly my rev counter goes to 0 then comes back...
Just emailed the AD, going to leave the car with them in the morning and going to ask them to check everything with the car. I'm not going to drive the car in that condition.
My car is less then 3 weeks old yet I can't even drive or enjoy it. Really sucks to be in this situation, I know it's a first world problem etc. but it is very annoying. I waited quite long for this very moment and really disappointed that I am unable to enjoy it... Hope my experience never happens to anyone else and if anyone is experiencing similar symptoms hopefully this post helps elevate the situation and find better and permanent solutions.
Old 12-22-2021, 09:56 PM
cg760
Intermediate

Received 41 Likes on 14 Posts

Mines did the same thing 3 times. the first time the dealer said my battery needed charging. Took it to a different dealer the next time it happen and they didn't see anything. the third time they replaced the cluster.
Old 12-22-2021, 09:58 PM
cg760
Intermediate

Old 12-22-2021, 11:53 PM
mind
Intermediate

so whats the situation now? I am heading to the AD early morning. I'd like to pass on your experience to them as well to help our case. By the way is the color of the speed and drive indicator normal? Its pink.
Old 12-23-2021, 01:58 AM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,647 Likes on 1,246 Posts

I had my PCM go totally blank on me and then miraculously self recover several times over the course of a three or four days. So I did a hard reset (factory specifications as allowed in the PCM) and that seems to have repaired things. This was well over six or eight months ago, so I assume things are now OK. However, it did teach me something. Once the PCM was back up and running, following the reset, I took notes and screen shots with my cell phone, so that if it ever happened again . . . . getting back to square one with all my settings and preferences would be much easier and faster.
Old 12-23-2021, 07:26 AM
cg760
Intermediate

Its not normal, it should be white. Every time my cluster would go out the numbers would turn pink first.

Quick Reply: Instrument Cluster display blacked out completely During Driving