Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Instrument Cluster display blacked out completely During Driving

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2021, 07:58 AM
German1967
Pro

Received 597 Likes on 265 Posts

Quite unsettling that you all have this issue. Sounds like a hardware failure. I am picking up my 2022 in a few weeks… hopefully nothing I will have to experience.
The following users liked this post:
Steve 96C4S (01-12-2022)
Old 12-23-2021, 10:37 AM
mind
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by cg760
Its not normal, it should be white. Every time my cluster would go out the numbers would turn pink first.
im going to leave my car at the dealership. Asked thmen to do a wider investigation to get to the root of the problem. I cant constantly drive back and forth to the AD. Going to ask them to change the entire cluster assembly and check the entire wiring and make sure every other part of the car is in good condition. Even though the functionalities work i dont feel safe driving it in that condition.
Old 12-23-2021, 11:21 AM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,366 Likes on 745 Posts

Originally Posted by mind
im going to leave my car at the dealership. Asked thmen to do a wider investigation to get to the root of the problem. I cant constantly drive back and forth to the AD. Going to ask them to change the entire cluster assembly and check the entire wiring and make sure every other part of the car is in good condition. Even though the functionalities work i dont feel safe driving it in that condition.
You must have such a better stealership than I do. They would near laugh at me saying they can't throw parts to fix a problem and if there's no error message associated they can't do anything about it. Case and point, the ridiculous functionality of the door handle recognition (not talking about the motion, simply the close and open of the doors).
Old 12-23-2021, 11:28 AM
mind
Intermediate

Originally Posted by John Mclane
You must have such a better stealership than I do. They would near laugh at me saying they can't throw parts to fix a problem and if there's no error message associated they can't do anything about it. Case and point, the ridiculous functionality of the door handle recognition (not talking about the motion, simply the close and open of the doors).
i haven't driven my car over 1 and a half days since i got it and these problems started happening. It is a brand new car with almost to no mileage. I shared people's experiences and some videos i found online. They found my case arguable therefore they ordered it. Plus when they were servicing it they noticed there is actually something wrong with it so that helped my case as well.
Old 12-23-2021, 11:37 AM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

i haven't driven my car over 1 and a half days since i got it and these problems started happening. It is a brand new car with almost to no mileage. I shared people's experiences and some videos i found online. They found my case arguable therefore they ordered it. Plus when they were servicing it they noticed there is actually something wrong with it so that helped my case as well.
I showed them the battery peeling off the label, one of the signs it gassed out according to the vendor. It made no difference as it did not fail their "tests".
I show videos and pictures of numerous gremlins, and as they don't always yield a code, they won't fix it. That includes the door not locking or unlocking using the touch place at the handle. Same answer as above. I have an exclamation mark in the PCM that yields a "data incompatible " message in lieu of software update. It's there, always for more than a year. PCNA and the dealer ignore it.
They replaced the cracked PDK shifter because it's there. They refused to replaced or adjust the wipers 2 days after I got the car.

As the say goes, your experience may vary. This is my last Porsche. Essentially the only brand I bought from 2006. With hybrid platform coming in, it's only getting worse. The old rule that don't buy the first year is useless as they don't attend to chronic issues. The company is driven by bean counters. If you have a SA that you can talk to, ask about the Taycan issues. Makes the 911 software/hardware issues seem like nothing.
Attached Images    

Last edited by John Mclane; 12-23-2021 at 11:39 AM.
Old 12-23-2021, 01:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 796 Likes on 427 Posts

Have you tried Arbitration? It’s a relatively painless process. I had a truck replaced using it in the recent past. Look up Porsche arbitration process, send in your details such as how many times and how long out of service etc. an independent panel will make a decision about your case which will be legally binding. You can ask for it to be fixed or car replaced. I’m my case I had a transmission squeal every time I put it in drive. I sent in a video of the truck making the noise and service records. Had a decision in 30 days and new car fresh from the factory in a few months.
Old 12-24-2021, 12:36 PM
mind
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 22992
Have you tried Arbitration? It’s a relatively painless process. I had a truck replaced using it in the recent past. Look up Porsche arbitration process, send in your details such as how many times and how long out of service etc. an independent panel will make a decision about your case which will be legally binding. You can ask for it to be fixed or car replaced. I’m my case I had a transmission squeal every time I put it in drive. I sent in a video of the truck making the noise and service records. Had a decision in 30 days and new car fresh from the factory in a few months.
Well the very first of the week i had a problem with my Front Axle Lift System but after turning the engine off and on fixed it.
Now i had problem with my instrument clusters they tried a temporary fix and did not work
They ordered the part and i left the car at the dealership and car will be there till the end of january.
I would like to give them a chance to make it right first. I feel like that is the right thing to do. After the replacement part, if the problem still persists, I will try Arbitration like you advised.
Old 12-24-2021, 01:01 PM
Burning Brakes

apologies, my comment was directed at John Mclane…his issues seem persistent enough to potentially use the arbitration path. Always good to understand what that process entails though. A lot of people put off taking their car In. When there’s an issue, take it in. Take it to different dealers, take it to an independent for 2nd opinion, take pics, vids etc. it’s hard to make an oem do a buyback or fix issues that don’t throw codes. document everything frequently.

Well the very first of the week i had a problem with my Front Axle Lift System but after turning the engine off and on fixed it.
Now i had problem with my instrument clusters they tried a temporary fix and did not work
They ordered the part and i left the car at the dealership and car will be there till the end of january.
I would like to give them a chance to make it right first. I feel like that is the right thing to do. After the replacement part, if the problem still persists, I will try Arbitration like you advised.
mind (12-24-2021)
Old 12-24-2021, 06:17 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Lemon law in Illinois is essentially for new cars during the first year of ownership. That was during COVID lockdown and a lot of the car issues only popped up afterwards. My last 911 or Porsche for that matter. But I'm weak, I tried it before to go away.
Old 12-24-2021, 10:43 PM
leburpor
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 992 Targa4s

Hi all. I picked up my Targa 4S on 22/12 and after driving it for an hour I lost my instrument cluster. Had to resort to a phone app to see my speed. The dealership did an awesome job and responded quickly and sent a tow truck to pick up my car and within the day they concluded it was a dead instrument cluster unit. The frustrating bit is no spare in the country and God knows how long before they can get one from Germany. I wrote an angry message to Porsche Australia demanding immediate action or give me my money back until it's fixed, but am not holding my breath. Not keen to drive the car in current condition even tho I can get a GPS based speedo and all else in the car seems to be working.I'll have to sleep on this more.

For the premium we pay for these cars, we should expect impeccable QC on all the parts. This is very very disappointing. Other than that, I was loving driving the car with the top down through the hills and forest.. Until this **** happened.

If you guys stumble on a quick fix, please share.. Sounds like a few of us in the same boat 😪

Last edited by leburpor; 12-25-2021 at 06:02 AM.
Old 12-25-2021, 01:48 AM
mind
Intermediate

Originally Posted by leburpor
Hi all. I picked up my Targa 4S on 22/12 and after driving it for an hour I lost my instrument cluster. Had to resort to a phone app to see my speed. The dealership responded quickly and sent a tow truck to pick up my car and within the day they concluded it was a dead instrument cluster unit. The frustrating bit is no spare in the country and God knows how long before they can get one from Germany. I wrote an angry message to Porsche Australia demanding immediate action or give me my money back until it's fixed, but am not holding my breath. Not keen to drive the car in current condition even tho I can get a GPS based speedo and all else in the car seems to be working.I'll have to sleep on this more.

For the premium we pay for these cars, we should expect impeccable QC on all the parts. This is very very disappointing. Other than that, I was loving driving the car with the top down through the hills and forest.. Until this **** happened.

If you guys stumble on a quick fix, please share.. Sounds like a few of us in the same boat 😪

i am at the same state as you are very frustrated and angry. We pay so much money for QC and PDI and yet this happens. I picked up my c4s 2022 model on 3rd of december, drove it for 2 days and my entire instrument clusters died. Loving the car but hating the service. They ordered new screen but they said delivery late january. They provided a loaner car but sucks not being able to drive in the holiday season. I have been looking forward to this day for a year now and this happens.
by the way for me they disconnected and connected the battery and my screens came back but we lost the color and pixels on the right screen. It worked until i came back home and it went out again. I left the car at the dealership till it is resolved.
if you like send me a pm to discuss the current status. Best of luck
Old 12-25-2021, 03:21 AM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,299 Likes on 1,366 Posts

Wow, what was wrong with analog gauges, an odometer you could reset easily, a gear shift lever instead of a joke (seriously "press M in a Porsche"?????), a HomeLink that was in the right place and so many more issues???

This truly points to a total lack of QA/QC.

This needs to be sent up the chain to Germany directly not through PNA or dealers (who have no interest in ruffing feathers) and seek legal action in a class action if more cases develop, heck run it up the Youtube chain that will get their attention

Appalling from any manufacturer, from Porsche...

siberian

Last edited by siberian; 12-25-2021 at 03:32 AM.
Denny Swift (01-12-2022)
Old 12-25-2021, 10:07 AM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,647 Likes on 778 Posts

Originally Posted by siberian
Wow, what was wrong with analog gauges, an odometer you could reset easily, a gear shift lever instead of a joke (seriously "press M in a Porsche"?????), a HomeLink that was in the right place and so many more issues???

This truly points to a total lack of QA/QC.

This needs to be sent up the chain to Germany directly not through PNA or dealers (who have no interest in ruffing feathers) and seek legal action in a class action if more cases develop, heck run it up the Youtube chain that will get their attention

Appalling from any manufacturer, from Porsche...

siberian

Just curious what legal action you are thinking about.

Also, can you imagine the uproar on RL if Porsche was still using analog gauges and no new tech? The pitchforks would be out screaming that for what we pay for these cars, we should be getting modern technology and not these outdated dials.

Sucks that the QC is so ****ty, but we have maybe 3 or 4 cases out of thousands of cars that have bees sold where a third party (I assume) part needs to be replaced. If we were in normal market conditions, that part would be available and changed our fairly quickly.

Last edited by Drew46; 12-25-2021 at 10:08 AM.
Old 12-25-2021, 11:37 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by John Mclane
Lemon law in Illinois is essentially for new cars during the first year of ownership. That was during COVID lockdown and a lot of the car issues only popped up afterwards. My last 911 or Porsche for that matter. But I'm weak, I tried it before to go away.
You are eligible for arbitration as long as your car is still under warranty. It is independent of your states lemon law and is particularly useful for those instances when dealers say “no code, can’t fix”. document, document, document. You are more likely to get a replacement vehicle if your car qualifies for the lemon law, but the arbitration panel can order the dealer to “throw parts” or…troubleshot electrical gremlins for those not looking for a half *** excuse. Dealers of 150k+ cars should never be using the No code excuse.Terrible.
Old 12-25-2021, 11:38 AM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,299 Likes on 1,366 Posts

It's the tip of the iceberg. The 3 or 4 is what you see, you have no idea what's below "the waterline". The fact of failure after a couple of days points to a manufacturing issue, something that should have been caught if they ever did an MTBF. It's just a lot of things that have slipped by lately or that were incorporated without being given careful consideration. I can list examples, but they've been outlined countless times with folks just "well if it was designed by... then it's fine, after all look at what so and so has designed". We thus justify by pointing to where other manufacturers have failed, to mitigate rather than ask and demand change. You remember when Jeep came out with square headlights or the "Classic Coke" stupidity? Well the reinstating the Homelink button would be along those lines as well as. You made a design error, correct it.

As to new tech, and digital gauges, IMHO, is a clear example of when it's gone too far, not implemented or designed correctly (2 of the 5 gauges you can't even see when in normal driving position). The arrogance of the industry as a whole only has their attention when the courts get involved. Dieselgate? Takata? Ford tires in the early 90s?

Lucky so far even though I do have a safety recall for seat belt and the damn rattle on my 2021 C4S

Merry Xmas everyone

siberian

Last edited by siberian; 12-25-2021 at 12:06 PM.
Noah Fect (01-14-2022)

Quick Reply: Instrument Cluster display blacked out completely During Driving