A Tahoe can’t “push it” on the Autobahn
Obviously. It's a truck
The following users liked this post:
bdronsick (09-17-2023)
Old 09-17-2023, 09:20 AM
bdronsick
Rennlist Member

Received 873 Likes on 589 Posts

In a somewhat incredulous sense Cayenne is a “truck” that can “push it”’ on the Autobahn, as easily as it can pull an Airstream on 66

You will need a 911 GT to decrease Ring time, and an F-350 to increase tow capacity

Two birds one stone. If you can’t see the singular uniqueness of that ???

My 911 Turbo can’t even carry golf clubs, much less my entire family and their hotel rooms

If I could only have one car; because a Cayenne can tow any 911 to the track, or it can just bring itself (and the family)

If that’s not “Race Sunday, drive Monday” don’t know what is

Last edited by bdronsick; 09-17-2023 at 09:33 AM.
Old 09-17-2023, 09:41 AM
bdronsick
Rennlist Member

The irony isn’t lost either here on the fact 996.1 had no glovebox and only weighed 2,900 lbs

And most of you bitterly responded: “Not a real 911

992 is relatively massive, thousands of pounds heavier, ultra-luxurious.., and still can’t carry golf clubs

WTF

Last edited by bdronsick; 09-17-2023 at 09:48 AM.
Old 09-17-2023, 11:44 AM
Fishah
Burning Brakes

Received 1,412 Likes on 509 Posts

Originally Posted by bdronsick
The irony isn’t lost either here on the fact 996.1 had no glovebox and only weighed 2,900 lbs

992 is relatively massive, thousands of pounds heavier, ultra-luxurious.., and still can’t carry golf clubs

WTF
911T is under 3200lbs and is 10x the car than a 1999 996.

Nobody is arguing that a Cayenne can do far more things than a 992.... But we don't buy 911s to do everything. We buy them because of the driving experience, which a Cayenne simply cannot match... Regardless of ring times.
Grimz (09-17-2023)
Old 09-17-2023, 02:58 PM
V999
Rennlist Member

Received 364 Likes on 219 Posts

Interesting that this thread got necro’d from so many years ago. Anyway…

I view the 911 vs Cayenne “debate” as I do with so many other debates: it’s a very situational, very subjective thing with no single right answer that works for everyone.

My entry into the Porsche world started with a 911. The dealership that sold me that car invited me to a Porsche-sponsored track day where Porsche supplies a variety of cars for people to experience different Porsche models in a relatively unlimited way. It’s a brilliant marketing technique that worked on me, despite my attempts to be resilient to marketing in general.

On that track day, there were 911 T’s, plus Panameras, and Cayennes spanning most available trim levels. I drove to the event in my 911 (a GTS). For me, the upper Cayenne trim level cars were, by far, the most fun vehicles on track that day. Pushing such a big heavy car through a sweeper at ~150mph or through a tight chicane, always with great poise and balance, was magical.

Prior to that day, I was much more aligned with the people who bought SUVs for comfort or actual utility. I had zero interest in performance SUVs at all. But that track day experience had the impact I’m sure Porsche intended.

When the time came to get a new SUV, and as a means of helping to secure a GT3 allocation, I submitted an order for a ‘24 Cayenne S with every available performance option. Because the Cayenne was simply brilliant to drive.

It’s not a 911, nor is it intended to be. It’s not super luxurious. It’s not super spacious. But spec’d the right way, it has that blend of driving attributes that Porsche is so good at formulating to create a great driving experience.

I think, if you’re the sort of person who truly loves the act of driving, be it a panel truck, a sailboat, or a 911, if you’re the sort of person who knows all the nearby roads with fun turns and always goes miles out of their way to take that route when on the way to the food store, then a Cayenne loaded with performance options makes perfect sense.

Old 09-17-2023, 03:50 PM
slwong23
Rennlist Member

Received 409 Likes on 209 Posts

WTF
I don't disagree with your points about the merits of a Cayenne, but the 992 massive? ~3" longer and wider than a 996 is massive to you? Thousands of pounds heavier? Factually wrong. Can't carry golf clubs? I had two sets in the back with a passenger for a golf trip in my 992. Not ideal, but definitely doable. Plus, the clubs easily go in the passenger footwell as I normally drive to the course solo.

Going from a 911 to a Cayenne is more of a lifestyle/practical decision IMO. I went from a Macan Turbo to a 992 as my dd and the Macan was the best all around vehicle I ever owned as it checked every box. But no matter how much marketing Porsche puts behind the performance SUVs and the many who own them *think* it gives them a 911 on stilts, it's really no comparison. You're going to miss many things with either choice.

If I could only have one car, a performance SUV would absolutely be the pick, not a Tahoe or Rav4 (not that there is anything wrong with those cars).
Grimz (09-17-2023)
Old 09-17-2023, 04:49 PM
bdronsick
Rennlist Member

I suppose a lot of the subjectivity here is derived from most of our very good fortune to not be limited to “one car”

If we were, this would definitely be a “What Did I Do To My Cayenne Today” forum post
V999 (09-17-2023)
Old 09-17-2023, 04:51 PM
Fishah
Burning Brakes

Received 1,412 Likes on 509 Posts

I suppose a lot of the subjectivity here is derived from most of our very good fortune to not be limited to “one car”

If we were, this would definitely be a “What Did I Do To My Cayenne Today” forum post
Agreed.
Old 09-17-2023, 04:55 PM
VarTheVar
Rennlist Member

Received 684 Likes on 320 Posts

In a somewhat incredulous sense Cayenne is a “truck” that can “push it”’ on the Autobahn, as easily as it can pull an Airstream on 66

You will need a 911 GT to decrease Ring time, and an F-350 to increase tow capacity

Two birds one stone. If you can’t see the singular uniqueness of that ???

My 911 Turbo can’t even carry golf clubs, much less my entire family and their hotel rooms

If I could only have one car; because a Cayenne can tow any 911 to the track, or it can just bring itself (and the family)

If that’s not “Race Sunday, drive Monday” don’t know what is
Actually any 1500 can have higher towing capacity than a Cayenne. I towed my car home from PECLA in my enclosed trailer with my Silverado 1500. It can also hold many golf bags and gets 30mpg on the freeway. It handles as well as a truck needs to handle.

I don't think the Cayenne is a bad car by any means. I just don't get why people are willing to pay so much money for a do it all car when you can get separate specialized cars that do those things better and offer a better experience doing so.

The whole selling point of a 911 is the driving experience, not all out performance. So the fact that a Cayenne can do 60mph around an onramp is meaningless to me. A Model S plaid can do a 9 second quarter mile in the wet. Don't care. An M5 CS can destroy my Carrera T around the Nurburgring. Don't care. Hustling a giant SUV around corners is not amusing to me even though they are very capable. So I would rather just have a truck or "real" full size SUV, drive it slowly with my dog in the back seat, tow my trailer, etc.
Old 09-17-2023, 05:12 PM
Corvette11
Intermediate

Received 55 Likes on 13 Posts

We have both, I bought my first 911 cab. about 6 months ago. My wife decided that she wanted a Cayenne and she traded in her Denali, which was way to big for us. We both love driving the Cayenne, and we both drive it when we when we need more room. Nothing in my opinion compares to my 911 though. In the end it just comes down to personal preference on what you want to drive.
Grimz (09-17-2023)
Old 09-17-2023, 05:51 PM
c1pher
Rennlist Member

Received 782 Likes on 447 Posts

Originally Posted by gcurnew
Macan Turbo with all the go-fast goodies feels less truck-like than a Cayenne, albeit with less space/hauling capacity. If you only have a couple of small kids it would probably work. If possible, do drives in both before deciding.
Having owned a Cayenne Turbo, I agree with this, which is why I am on my second Macan. I prefer the size and how it can be placed on the road. I just felt the Cayenne was a bit too big despite its awesome capabilities. I also prefer the PDK on the Macan vs the tiptronic S on the Cayenne.
Old 09-17-2023, 06:04 PM
alin2
Burning Brakes

Received 574 Likes on 264 Posts

WTF
This is a strange assertion re: golf clubs. I went on a father-son golf trip to Sand Valley, WI in my GTS with both sets in the back seat plus luggage for a 3 day trip with space to spare in the frunk. We have standard carry bags. Maybe if you have some huge staff bag it wouldn't fit, but good luck finding a caddie that will carry that bag. Lol.
Old 09-17-2023, 06:55 PM
c1pher
Rennlist Member

Received 782 Likes on 447 Posts

Originally Posted by alin2
This is a strange assertion re: golf clubs. I went on a father-son golf trip to Sand Valley, WI in my GTS with both sets in the back seat plus luggage for a 3 day trip with space to spare in the frunk. We have standard carry bags. Maybe if you have some huge staff bag it wouldn't fit, but good luck finding a caddie that will carry that bag. Lol.
This is for the Corvette owning Porsche haters.
Old 09-17-2023, 07:04 PM
TK42ONE
Rennlist Member

Received 383 Likes on 177 Posts

I went 992 C2 to Cayenne e-hybrid, back to 991.1 turbo, then CT5 Black Wing and back to 992 C2. I leased a EV6 for the golf clubs and dog.

tried the one car thing and I probably could just have a 992 and be fine 97.2% of the time.

Last edited by TK42ONE; 09-17-2023 at 07:05 PM.

Quick Reply: 911 to Cayenne opinion