Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

911 to Cayenne opinion

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2021, 08:58 PM
ldamelio
Rennlist Member

Received 968 Likes on 524 Posts

Keep the 911. Buy or lease a Japanese appliance SUV. They're safe and comfortable for your family and relatively cheap.
The following users liked this post:
mdrobc1213 (01-10-2021)
Old 01-06-2021, 09:38 PM
Salespunk
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts

As others have said, get a cheap kid hauler. Lots of options out there depending on what you need. VW GTI, Jetta Wagon, Kia SUV's, Honda Civic or Accord, etc. To put it in perspective a 120K mile bumper to bumper warranty on a Civic Type R is $1200. Running costs are near zero beyond gas, oil changes and tires.
Old 01-06-2021, 10:18 PM
couturegirl
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn
Every marriage and relationship is a little different. It also depends upon what kind of car that you’re trying to add.

We’ve been married 26 years. My wife was always tolerant of my automotive and motorcycle toys, but she only really truly started to embrace it about 5 years ago. For her, big part of that are the experiences that we have shared together with the cars. With our kids older now, we do a lot of road tripping and adventures without the kids. When we purchased her a new Mercedes a few years ago, she admitted to me that she really didn’t appreciate cars until she had the opportunity to drive a good one. Truth.

When I wanted to add a little Alfa Romeo 4C two seater to the household, I presented it as a “date car” — something fun where we’d leave the kids at home and just go. I didn’t misrepresent it and that car has fulfilled its mission. As a result, we’ve got amazing stories and memories with that car, which admittedly is a totally impractical toy, but we’re using it right.

So, yeah, it’s a lot easier when your significant other is a participant in the fun. In fact, when I put down my deposit on the 911, she joked that we just bought a car that cost as much as our first house, but she was nearly as excited as me when we picked it up. Now, “Let’s take the Porsche” is a favorite request and yes, those 18 way seats get praise from Mrs Ansinn.

Let’s take your Ferrari F355 want. I would ditch the “weekend car” framing, because that just says you’re going to disappear for cars and coffee or otherwise not be around for the weekends. That Ferrari is a perfect date car. When you go to that great restaurant that you guys love, you do it in the Ferrari. When you meet up with your friends, you drive the Ferrari. Antiquing? Ferrari, because it will naturally limit how much you can take home with you. You’re not buying it for “you” — it’s going to be something that you both get to experience. That’s how I would pitch it. If you need me to hop on a Zoom with you two, let me know.:P

Sidebar: Mrs Ansinn and I once went for a drive into Philadelphia at 10PM on a Sunday night, in our quick little Alfa 4C Spider. No muffler. Exhaust at full wail and echoing between the skyscrapers. Top was down. Summer weather was perfect. Stars in the night sky. Racing through Center City where speed enforcement is non-existent. We had the roads nearly to ourselves. We came to a stop at a traffic light when an older gentleman, in a silver BMW 7 series, pulled up along side of us. He said “You guys are like Miami Vice!” and gave us a thumbs up. Memories. That’s what it is all about.
This is weird to me. My husband and I have been married for almost 11 years, and he doesn't have to frame things and try to sugar coat things for me to agree/disagree. We both love cars; I don't have to convince him to let me get various cars, nor does he have to convince me... Seems weird to have to "maneuver" to get things in a marriage. YMMV
BudFox6 (09-16-2023)
Old 01-06-2021, 10:33 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,135 Likes on 3,006 Posts

Originally Posted by couturegirl
This is weird to me. My husband and I have been married for almost 11 years, and he doesn't have to frame things and try to sugar coat things for me to agree/disagree. We both love cars; I don't have to convince him to let me get various cars, nor does he have to convince me... Seems weird to have to "maneuver" to get things in a marriage. YMMV
Almost 11 years? 😜 Heh. Newbie.

It’s not a matter of “sugar coat” or “maneuver”. As I said at the onset, everyone’s relationship is different. In our case, it’s a shared adventure.
SBAD (01-07-2021)
Old 01-06-2021, 11:22 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,681 Likes on 5,112 Posts

Instead of a Cayenne, go take a drive in the new Audi RS6.
The following 2 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
aggie57 (01-07-2021), detansinn (01-06-2021)
Old 01-06-2021, 11:22 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,681 Likes on 5,112 Posts

Originally Posted by couturegirl
If you ever get a divorce, please let me know ...
The following 2 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
detansinn (01-06-2021), mikey94025 (01-08-2021)
Old 01-06-2021, 11:25 PM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 161 Posts

I need a 4 door SUV for daily duties - drove a Nissan Pathfinder, Toyota Highlander, Acura MDX over the years and then when it was time to replace the MDX I reached out to the SA that sold me my Carrera T and he found a base Cayenne that was simply perfect. Best SUV I've ever owned. It's no 911, but it's exceptional in its own right.

cheers!

Last edited by 911-TOUR; 01-06-2021 at 11:27 PM.
bdronsick (09-24-2023)
Old 01-06-2021, 11:59 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,866 Likes on 1,509 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn
Every marriage and relationship is a little different. It also depends upon what kind of car that you’re trying to add.

We’ve been married 26 years. My wife was always tolerant of my automotive and motorcycle toys, but she only really truly started to embrace it about 5 years ago. For her, big part of that are the experiences that we have shared together with the cars. With our kids older now, we do a lot of road tripping and adventures without the kids. When we purchased her a new Mercedes a few years ago, she admitted to me that she really didn’t appreciate cars until she had the opportunity to drive a good one. Truth.

When I wanted to add a little Alfa Romeo 4C two seater to the household, I presented it as a “date car” — something fun where we’d leave the kids at home and just go. I didn’t misrepresent it and that car has fulfilled its mission. As a result, we’ve got amazing stories and memories with that car, which admittedly is a totally impractical toy, but we’re using it right.

So, yeah, it’s a lot easier when your significant other is a participant in the fun. In fact, when I put down my deposit on the 911, she joked that we just bought a car that cost as much as our first house, but she was nearly as excited as me when we picked it up. Now, “Let’s take the Porsche” is a favorite request and yes, those 18 way seats get praise from Mrs Ansinn.

Let’s take your Ferrari F355 want. I would ditch the “weekend car” framing, because that just says you’re going to disappear for cars and coffee or otherwise not be around for the weekends. That Ferrari is a perfect date car. When you go to that great restaurant that you guys love, you do it in the Ferrari. When you meet up with your friends, you drive the Ferrari. Antiquing? Ferrari, because it will naturally limit how much you can take home with you. You’re not buying it for “you” — it’s going to be something that you both get to experience. That’s how I would pitch it. If you need me to hop on a Zoom with you two, let me know.:P

Sidebar: Mrs Ansinn and I once went for a drive into Philadelphia at 10PM on a Sunday night, in our quick little Alfa 4C Spider. No muffler. Exhaust at full wail and echoing between the skyscrapers. Top was down. Summer weather was perfect. Stars in the night sky. Racing through Center City where speed enforcement is non-existent. We had the roads nearly to ourselves. We came to a stop at a traffic light when an older gentleman, in a silver BMW 7 series, pulled up along side of us. He said “You guys are like Miami Vice!” and gave us a thumbs up. Memories. That’s what it is all about.
Lots to relate to there, spirited country drives in an Alfa amongst them although mainly GTV6’s in my case. Yes, it’s all about the memories. Life’s a bi..h and then we die....enjoy it while we can.
detansinn (01-07-2021)
Old 01-08-2021, 03:40 PM
Bell911
Track Day

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

UPDATE

after some thought i have quickly aborted the idea of getting out of the 911. I would miss it, and i would hate the suv. thank you all for the input.
The following 4 users liked this post by Bell911:
detansinn (01-10-2021), mikey94025 (01-09-2021), rk-d (01-10-2021), VarTheVar (08-29-2023)
Old 01-10-2021, 07:19 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 821 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d
Can't speak for detansinn, but what worked for me was getting my wife into cars. She loves 911s and is totally on board with us have a couple. That's the ideal way to do it. No apologies and no guilt trips.
My wife of 20+ yrs knows about my car habit....when we go together I joked (half seriously) about 4 things my previous long term relationship ex had tried to change and those were the deal. breakers.....1. my planes/flying, 2. my computer games/electronics, 3. my motorcycle...and 4. my cars - I drive what I can pay for/same for her...if you can pay the note/cost and we can eat and the kids are okay and mortgage/rent whatever is paid and no one is broke...then we're good. I let her drive what she wants and for the last 10+ yrs I've paid for them and insurance for the whole family. That has included multiple Mercedes Benzes, then 2 Porsche Cayennes, and now 2 Audi Q5s when she wanted something smaller. Bottlom line here is when she driives what SHE wants...I guess not really gonna complain about what is on my side of the garage! .
Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Wife has had 2 Cayenne's and now 2 Q5's so there's always something bigger if we want to take/haul more people/stuff. Plus I have an RS5 Sportback as my daily so when I need more space I use that. Also once the kids learned how to drive I got them each their own used cars in their junior/senior years of HS. If needed they can just meet us there!
Originally Posted by Bell911
UPDATE

after some thought i have quickly aborted the idea of getting out of the 911. I would miss it, and i would hate the suv. thank you all for the input.
Yes you will. Find something cheap that is a good 4 door and easy to maintain and if you don't garage it then fine..that way you can leave it in the driveway as needed and not worry about it. But keep the 911...everytime I've gotten rid of mine I have regretted it! Just saying.
Old 01-10-2021, 09:33 AM
Bell911
Track Day

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
i actually did drive the RS7 as there are not too many RS6 around to drive. I happen to be a huge RS fan from back when i had an RS4 and then an RS5. I liked the RS7 a lot, but coming out of the M5 and into the 911 it is kind of the same. Although fit and finish of the RS7 was way above the M5, so i like that.

again, i think i would regret getting out of the Porsche. Although as i drove the RS7 i was thinking get this and put a deposit down on the 992 GT3, put a lift in the garage, and all good.
Old 01-10-2021, 10:24 AM
user 64927802
Banned

Received 57 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Bell911
i have a '20 992 C4S, which i love, my second C4S. However i am kind of finding that as having only one car the 911 is not fitting in 100% with my needs. I am considering going to a '21 GTS with lightweight package. Anyone else go from 911 to GTS, regret it or happy with decision?

basically four doors and a proper trunk is easier to live with with kids and sports and whatnot, also with a primarily highway commute to work in an industrial area i find that my C4S with sport suspension is a magnet for rocks hitting my windshield ( on my second windshield in 5 months of ownership).

any thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated.
As you mentioned at one of your quotes that you have limited space to keep 2 cars , then go for the GTS you will love it and no questions asked.
I currently got the new cayenne base for the Family, build it the way I wanted it with the sport design pkg, sport chrono, sport exhaust, tow hook, etc etc and definitely happy with it and its only a base. I went for the base because my wife drives it locally to the grocery store and pick up kids from school. If the S came with a V8 like the old Cayenne's then I definitely would have went for the S model, but due to its a 6 cylinder and I drove them both I swear I barely felt a difference in performance and I am also more of a old school single turbo fan. My daily is a 2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee as im in the field running around all day. I also have a C4S in order which won't be my DD, basically will stay in the garage.
Make the story longer, If it ever comes down to just clean up the driveway and garage and keep 1 car, Im going for the Turbo Cayenne and call it a day.
You had M5's, 911's and looking to get a GTS, if you can squeeze little more go for the TURBO.
Old 01-10-2021, 12:57 PM
Oneday997
Pro

Received 258 Likes on 133 Posts

Not quite the same as a 992 to new Cayenne GTS, but I had a 997 and wanted a daily driver Porsche, so I added a 958.2 Cayenne GTS. The GTS really is a great vehicle and significantly sportier feel than a Cayenne S (and even Turbo imo). My wife has a Cayenne S and while a great SUV in its own right, it feel more luxury and less sport than the GTS. The GTS gives me about 75-80% of the driving fun that the 997 did. I ended up selling the 997 because I was only driving it 2,000 miles a year and the the GTS was so good. That said, I do miss my 997 and find myself looking for another 911. There's something about them that just can't be replicated in anything else - even something from the same manufacturer. If you do have to have one car to do it all including some light hauling, maybe a trailer now and then, cart the family around and still put a smile on your face, a Cayenne GTS is a very good choice.
Old 08-28-2023, 01:16 PM
P0560
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yesterday i was torn between a '21 Cayenne Coupe GTS and a low miles nicely optioned C2...the V8 was addicting but already comimg from 2 Macans..i went home with the base 911...couldn't be happier!!😊

Last edited by P0560; 08-28-2023 at 01:28 PM. Reason: wrong info
tmslc (09-15-2023)
Old 08-29-2023, 04:15 AM
VarTheVar
Rennlist Member

Received 684 Likes on 320 Posts

Since you're asking for opinions, here's mine. I don't see the point in having an SUV that handles and accelerates like a sports car. I would rather have a Chevy Tahoe over anything from the Germans. Cayennes are a gigantic waste of money. At least with the 911, even though they're grossly overpriced, you're getting something that's not offered by any other manufacturer

Quick Reply: 911 to Cayenne opinion