Sponsored by:

911 to Cayenne opinion

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2021, 08:39 PM
Bell911
Track Day

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 911 to Cayenne opinion

i have a '20 992 C4S, which i love, my second C4S. However i am kind of finding that as having only one car the 911 is not fitting in 100% with my needs. I am considering going to a '21 GTS with lightweight package. Anyone else go from 911 to GTS, regret it or happy with decision?

basically four doors and a proper trunk is easier to live with with kids and sports and whatnot, also with a primarily highway commute to work in an industrial area i find that my C4S with sport suspension is a magnet for rocks hitting my windshield ( on my second windshield in 5 months of ownership).

any thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-05-2021, 08:48 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,135 Likes on 3,006 Posts

I use my 911 for everything from groceries to soccer, but it’s also one of four cars in our household. If I am making a run to gardening supply or nursery, I grab a different set of keys. It’s fun to have options and we’re looking to add another car this year.

If you can only have one car and want that car to be a Porsche, the Cayenne is a potential solution, but it’s also a compromise and you lose that 911 magic. An alternative to replacing that magic would be adding a car to the stable — a cheaper SUV that you use for kid stuff and going to work (Added benefit of this approach is that you don’t have to be uptight over kid food and keeping the car immaculate). This way, you could reserve the 911 for weekends and fun and not give that up.

Last edited by detansinn; 01-05-2021 at 08:50 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by detansinn:
911my22 (09-17-2023), Patriot (01-06-2021)
Old 01-05-2021, 09:58 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,610 Likes on 817 Posts

There is no such thing as going from a 911 to a Cayenne

You are exiting Porsche sports car heaven and that’s gotta hurt!
The following 4 users liked this post by Tupper:
997usa (01-11-2021), Booth9999 (09-16-2023), c1pher (09-17-2023), P0560 (08-28-2023)
Old 01-05-2021, 10:11 PM
chong0
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn
An alternative to replacing that magic would be adding a car to the stable — a cheaper SUV that you use for kid stuff and going to work (Added benefit of this approach is that you don’t have to be uptight over kid food and keeping the car immaculate). This way, you could reserve the 911 for weekends and fun and not give that up.
I think this may be your best option. We have had a 958 cayenne in a manual and just replaced it with a 9y0 cayenne. By SUV standards they are the nicest mass produced trucks out there, but they are just that, a truck. its purpose is to haul people (kids) and get us to Vermont. A completely different vehicle for completely different purposes. Buying a cheaper truck will just highlight how special the 911 is. Perhaps you can swing both vehicles instead of trying to find 1 that fits all needs.
The following users liked this post:
detansinn (01-05-2021)
Old 01-05-2021, 10:38 PM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

Received 1,629 Likes on 783 Posts

Macan Turbo with all the go-fast goodies feels less truck-like than a Cayenne, albeit with less space/hauling capacity. If you only have a couple of small kids it would probably work. If possible, do drives in both before deciding.
The following 3 users liked this post by gcurnew:
c1pher (09-17-2023), Schwarz992C4S (01-10-2021), Wilder (08-29-2023)
Old 01-05-2021, 10:43 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,610 Likes on 817 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn
An alternative to replacing that magic would be adding a car to the stable — a cheaper SUV that you use for kid stuff and going to work (Added benefit of this approach is that you don’t have to be uptight over kid food and keeping the car immaculate). This way, you could reserve the 911 for weekends and fun and not give that up.
This is precisely my arrangement, except that the 911 was my most recent purchase.

We own a minivan and an Acura MDX for our daily driving, winter slugging of kids and groceries.

Then arrives the 911. The fun car used for joyrides, but not used in the winter.
detansinn (01-05-2021)
Old 01-05-2021, 11:08 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,470 Likes on 2,814 Posts

911s are one of the few sports cars that can be used as your only car. That is part of what makes them great.

That said -- doesn't mean that they *should* be used that way.

My 992 is a daily driver and it's perfect for that. But my wife drives a Range Rover. So we have options.

I don't see how you'll be satisfied with just a Cayenne, having owned a 911. You need two cars. Bottom line.
Old 01-05-2021, 11:11 PM
soguinness
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 43 Posts

Well, it is wise to go to Cayenne if 911 was your only ride.

I have a kid and I find myself not driving the 911. I too contemplate if I should give up and trade it in. The plan was that 911 was going to be my commute but that didn’t work out bcs of work from home. So we end up taking the suv out on a daily basis and the 911 sleeps in the garage.

Porsche gave me a Cayenne as a loaner once and I was about to go trade in the 911 for it almost. Best driving SUV ever. Do it!
Old 01-05-2021, 11:32 PM
Russian Mafia
Burning Brakes

Received 856 Likes on 419 Posts

The faster 9Y0 Cayennes are a whole lot of fun. Whether it's a replacement or not might require a test drive.
Old 01-06-2021, 12:34 AM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,153 Likes on 1,467 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d
But my wife drives a Range Rover.
How do you like your Range Rover? Sport model or the full size (HSE?). I have always been spooked off them due to reliability concerns.

Moving from a 911 to a Cayenne, the Cayenne is a wonderful luxury SUV, smooth, quiet and capable. I don't consider them very sporting, however. The Macan (S or above) is more sports car like if you want to still keep a fun-to-drive factor in the mix, Either one, get the must-have air ride suspension. My wife has the Macan S, and just loves it - considers the Cayenne too large and bulky.

Me? I can't ever not own a 911. My solution was to buy an inexpensive Ford Ranger pickup ($ 30K new) for days when the weather is crappy or I need to run to Home Depot. Surprisingly capable, these small trucks are incredibly handy and fun to drive. You'll miss your 911, grab something else to drive to add to the garage like others have said. This is actually the perfect vehicle to get if you own a business as well as you can Section 179 write off the truck in the first year of purchase, and it meets all the IRS requirements for a work vehicle.

Fullyield (08-29-2023)
Old 01-06-2021, 12:53 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by drcollie
How do you like your Range Rover? Sport model or the full size (HSE?).
Full size. We like it a lot. Super comfortable and very easy to put in serious miles. It's not nearly as sporty as a Cayenne and the cargo room is surprisingly small. It's a nice looking SUV - we probably get more compliments on the Range Rover than the 911, which is a little sad.

It's been pretty reliable so far - only problem we had was when some squirrels chewed up the wiring harness.

I would buy it again.
Old 01-06-2021, 01:09 AM
slwong23
Rennlist Member

Received 409 Likes on 209 Posts

I went from a Cayenne, to a Macan Turbo, and now my C2 as a dd. No kids, so it’s been fine, but it’s still a compromise for my hobbies where my Macan excelled. It will be a dramatic change so I think it really depends how much utility you need. If a second vehicle is not an option, I’d give the Macan a try, it’s definitely a more sporty ride than a Cayenne, but it does lack space. While it’s no 911, the Macan gives a better blend of sport with added utility. Good luck with your decision!
Old 01-06-2021, 01:16 AM
FlyDL757
Advanced

Received 71 Likes on 16 Posts

I’ve had all of the above. Cayenne S and GTS, RR Sport and full size. I am very interested in what the above poster is comparing the full size RR to when he says cargo space is surprisingly small. It is dramatically larger than a Cayenne, and I have hauled some serious stuff in it. It is huge... That said, V8 Cayennes are fun and cool, but definitely not a 911. In any way. I’d say the RR also edges out the Cayenne on luxury and comfort - the back seat is amazing. Definitely loses in the sporty category, but each vehicle should have its purpose IMO.
Old 01-06-2021, 07:30 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pnagrows
I’ve had all of the above. Cayenne S and GTS, RR Sport and full size. I am very interested in what the above poster is comparing the full size RR to when he says cargo space is surprisingly small. It is dramatically larger than a Cayenne, and I have hauled some serious stuff in it. It is huge... That said, V8 Cayennes are fun and cool, but definitely not a 911. In any way. I’d say the RR also edges out the Cayenne on luxury and comfort - the back seat is amazing. Definitely loses in the sporty category, but each vehicle should have its purpose IMO.
I used to own a Tahoe. I didn't love that car, but the cargo room was enormous. I had traded in a Land Cruiser for the Range Rover and it was more usable in that regard, though the third row seating eats up space. The issue with the Range Rover is the steep slope in the rear glass. It cuts down the effective rear cargo room.

That said - yes it's clearly better than the Cayenne. In fact, that was one reason we went with the Range Rover - its cargo was acceptable compared to the Cayenne, which was really not big enough.

Cayenne is a very tight feeling SUV and has really great handling for such a big vehicle. Porsche did a good job on it. But the Range Rover is simply another level of luxury in comparison, and I like my SUVs luxurious (ironically I could not care less about luxury in my 911s).
Old 01-06-2021, 08:19 AM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,219 Likes on 1,117 Posts

You could lease a Honda or something similar. They are cheap to lease and run, and the Accord hit C&D’s Ten Best again. The VW Jetta could be a good people mover, too.

I own the 911, but lease an SUV with a tow hook and roof rack for hauling stuff, kayaks, and transport.

I had to go into DC yesterday and took the 911. It always feels special when I climb in, but wonder if I would feel that way if I used it for a DD. You could take the 911 once in awhile and you might feel differently.

However, if that is not in the cards, you might think about meeting halfway in a Macan Turbo. Read those reviews. You can configure it with a roof rack and tow hook, too.

Quick Reply: 911 to Cayenne opinion