Sponsored by:

911 to Cayenne opinion

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2023, 07:22 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,005 Likes on 1,777 Posts

Originally Posted by VarTheVar
I don't see the point in having an SUV that handles and accelerates like a sports car.
Sometimes you can't have a 911. Some people have families. Others have jobs that require more seating capacity. I, for example, live in a place that is hostile to 911s. My Macan Turbo daily indulges me with Porsche quality and performance in a place were I'm often subjected to cobblestone, speed bumps, dirt roads, potholes, etc. The Macan Turbo, especially with the performance package, is an absolute monster both in a straight line and in the twisties. It's a AWD sports car on stilts more so than an SUV or CUV.
The following 2 users liked this post by Wilder:
BudFox6 (09-16-2023), dg108 (08-29-2023)
Old 08-29-2023, 12:25 PM
VarTheVar
Rennlist Member

Received 684 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilder
Sometimes you can't have a 911. Some people have families. Others have jobs that require more seating capacity. I, for example, live in a place that is hostile to 911s. My Macan Turbo daily indulges me with Porsche quality and performance in a place were I'm often subjected to cobblestone, speed bumps, dirt roads, potholes, etc. The Macan Turbo, especially with the performance package, is an absolute monster both in a straight line and in the twisties. It's a AWD sports car on stilts more so than an SUV or CUV.

I sympathize 100% with that. But the answer for me is not a Macan. First of all you could modify a 911 to handle all the exact same roads as a Macan but I digress.

My only point was that I don't need to drive an SUV fast. Rav 4 > Macan (for me). It's the same size and half the price and does all the small SUV things I need without pretending to be a sports car. Sporty SUVs are just an entire segment I don't understand. It's not a Porsche specific thing. Give me a Tahoe or a Suburban or even a Range Rover that's not a lemon.
The following users liked this post:
Tupper (09-16-2023)
Old 08-29-2023, 12:51 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,005 Likes on 1,777 Posts

I sympathize 100% with that. But the answer for me is not a Macan. First of all you could modify a 911 to handle all the exact same roads as a Macan but I digress.

My only point was that I don't need to drive an SUV fast. Rav 4 > Macan (for me). It's the same size and half the price and does all the small SUV things I need without pretending to be a sports car. Sporty SUVs are just an entire segment I don't understand. It's not a Porsche specific thing. Give me a Tahoe or a Suburban or even a Range Rover that's not a lemon.
I'm on a list for a Dakar that won't likely get at this point. I'm not keen on the safari builds I've seen.
If you haven't driven a Macan, and I mean GTS or Turbo, you can't possibly understand. It reminds me of my old E39 M5 manual but with AWD and on stilts, if that means anything to you. Your point is more valid with the Cayenne. I love the Turbo GT from afar but don't see the point of a 5k lb monster.
Old 08-29-2023, 01:39 PM
VarTheVar
Rennlist Member

I'm on a list for a Dakar that won't likely get at this point. I'm not keen on the safari builds I've seen.
If you haven't driven a Macan, and I mean GTS or Turbo, you can't possibly understand. It reminds me of my old E39 M5 manual but with AWD and on stilts, if that means anything to you. Your point is more valid with the Cayenne. I love the Turbo GT from afar but don't see the point of a 5k lb monster.

A close friend of mine has a Macan Turbo. It does all the things you say it does. That's just the problem. Why? I don't like big, heavy sport sedans either. Just give me a slow car and I'll drive it slowly. Or give me a sports car.
Old 09-15-2023, 02:46 PM
bdronsick
Rennlist Member

Received 873 Likes on 589 Posts

Agree with a lot of posts here that a good Cayenne will displace most miles put on almost any 911. And 911 owners don’t believe that until it’s too late
Old 09-16-2023, 11:25 AM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,153 Likes on 1,467 Posts

I have three Porsches in the garage, and the Macan S is my wife's. The Cayenne GTS does everything the 992 doesn't and vice versa. The Cayenne is the most comfortable and quickest highway cruiser I have ever owned. It took my wife on a 580 mile trip last week (and return) in absolute comfort with speed and luggage capacity. It will cruise as fast as you dare all day long. The 992 can do that, but it will hammer home every expansion joint, is twice a noisy and cannot carry the luggage for ten days at the beach. FYI I bought the Cayenne GTS and 992S just four months apart and the Cayenne has twice the miles on it, so it does get driven more.

The following 3 users liked this post by drcollie:
HOTCHKIS (09-16-2023), justabout (09-16-2023), Motorin Mark (09-16-2023)
Old 09-16-2023, 11:42 AM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,610 Likes on 817 Posts

^ I agree with this. I"m not into the whole "sporty SUV" thing myself. Cayennes and Macans just don't appeal to me.

I do like sporty sedans, though. BMW makes great ones

My brother is about to get an AMG GLE 63, so I will take that for a test drive and decide if my opinion on sporty SUV changes, but right now that's kind of how I feel....
Old 09-16-2023, 04:02 PM
bdronsick
Rennlist Member

Most 911’s are no race car, and some Cayennes are now virtually as fast, or faster, around the Ring than most 911’s

Porsche defined the sports car with 911, and continues to expand it with Cayenne

Old 09-16-2023, 04:06 PM
bdronsick
Rennlist Member

Some 911’s push 4K lbs. Physically very similar at that point, but Cayenne is AWD and much more balanced

don't see the point of a 5k lb monster.
Old 09-16-2023, 04:50 PM
Fishah
Burning Brakes

Received 1,412 Likes on 509 Posts

Wow so many false statements in the above two posts.

- There is huge difference between 4,000 and 5,000 lbs.
- Cayenne is not a sports car.
- Having AWD has nothing to do with balance.
- Center of Gravity has a huge impact on performance.
- There are far more important factors than ring time.
Old 09-16-2023, 06:19 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,153 Likes on 1,467 Posts

Here's a way to see the difference.

If I were tasked with getting King Abullah II of Jordan and his wife from Downtown Washington DC to Dulles Airport (about 50 minutes) as fast as possible, and to do it smoothly, quietly and comfortably (with a couple of suitcases) a V8 Cayenne with air ride suspension is so choice.

Then, if I had to get just myself to the airport as fast as possible and needed to smoke a few off-ramps because I'm out of time....I have only a carry-on suitcase.... then a 992 is the weapon of choice..

Last edited by drcollie; 09-16-2023 at 06:20 PM.
Old 09-16-2023, 06:48 PM
VarTheVar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by drcollie

If I were tasked with getting King Abullah II of Jordan and his wife from Downtown Washington DC to Dulles Airport (about 50 minutes) as fast as possible, and to do it smoothly, quietly and comfortably (with a couple of suitcases) a V8 Cayenne with air ride suspension is so choice.

Exactly. There's no realistic scenario where that car is useful. It CAN do some cool things, but you have to pay a bunch of money for what it might be able to do, and it's never going to be as good as a Chevy Tahoe at being an SUV.
Old 09-16-2023, 06:53 PM
bdronsick
Rennlist Member

Yup why race cars typically seat one

A consumer market 911 is not a race car; it’s a GT. And Cayenne does GT objectively better than almost anything else

What the 911 does better than anything else is give the consumer an authentic-feeling racing experience. Five seconds in any Mezger on boost, or GT at 8K RPM demonstrates that

Originally Posted by drcollie

Then, if I had to get just myself to the airport as fast as possible and needed to smoke a few off-ramps because I'm out of time....I have only a carry-on suitcase.... then a 992 is the weapon of choice..
Old 09-16-2023, 06:57 PM
bdronsick
Rennlist Member

A Tahoe can’t “push it” on the Autobahn

never going to be as good as a Chevy Tahoe at being an SUV.
Old 09-16-2023, 07:06 PM
bdronsick
Rennlist Member

Walter Röhrl said it best: “Cayenne is an all-rounder”

Cayenne simply does everything very well. 911 offers a lot more performance, and a lot less capacity

Quick Reply: 911 to Cayenne opinion