Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

911 to Cayenne opinion

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2021, 08:20 AM
Patriot
Rennlist Member

Received 781 Likes on 289 Posts

If you really like your 911, don’t part with it. You’ll regret it. If you really need an SUV, get something new and inexpensive, or a CPO.

Last edited by Patriot; 01-06-2021 at 10:16 PM.
The following users liked this post:
mdrobc1213 (01-10-2021)
Old 01-06-2021, 09:08 AM
couturegirl
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Tupper
This is precisely my arrangement, except that the 911 was my most recent purchase.

We own a minivan and an Acura MDX for our daily driving, winter slugging of kids and groceries.

Then arrives the 911. The fun car used for joyrides, but not used in the winter.
Mini vans are always a hard no.
Old 01-06-2021, 09:26 AM
couturegirl
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Bell911
i have a '20 992 C4S, which i love, my second C4S. However i am kind of finding that as having only one car the 911 is not fitting in 100% with my needs. I am considering going to a '21 GTS with lightweight package. Anyone else go from 911 to GTS, regret it or happy with decision?

basically four doors and a proper trunk is easier to live with with kids and sports and whatnot, also with a primarily highway commute to work in an industrial area i find that my C4S with sport suspension is a magnet for rocks hitting my windshield ( on my second windshield in 5 months of ownership).

any thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated.
I use my 911 as my DD, but have also had a Cayenne turbo, and really liked it. I am not an SUV person, but if I were to get another one, I would stick with a Cayenne or a Macan. I have driven many RR, and whilst they are good looking, they are not pleasant to drive as they feel way too boxy. If I had to buy another SUV (that was not a Cayenne), I would buy a G63 purely because I love how it looks (or an old 90s Defender)
Old 01-06-2021, 09:26 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 320 Likes on 193 Posts

There are solutions.
Old 01-06-2021, 09:37 AM
968boy
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm surprised no one has mentioned a Panamera GTS Sport Turismo as a possible alternative to a Cayenne GTS. The ride is incredibly smooth, decent cargo space, plenty fast and more of a "car feel" than the Cayenne.
The following 2 users liked this post by 968boy:
clubracer6 (11-22-2023), gcurnew (01-06-2021)
Old 01-06-2021, 11:19 AM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

Received 1,629 Likes on 783 Posts

Originally Posted by 968boy
I'm surprised no one has mentioned a Panamera GTS Sport Turismo as a possible alternative to a Cayenne GTS. The ride is incredibly smooth, decent cargo space, plenty fast and more of a "car feel" than the Cayenne.
I confess to having spent a good deal of time configuring Sport Turismos, and I have not the slightest need or inclination to buy one. They provide near-SUV practicality with great performance and looks. This would be a great solution for the OP.
Old 01-06-2021, 11:22 AM
Bell911
Track Day

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

appreciate all of the responses. So garage space it was keeps me from two cars for myself. I just don't have the setup right now to properly garage three cars. ideally i would keep the 911 and get the new bronco or some other sub 50k suv for my daily needs. But like many my daily needs is about 99% of all of my driving, so i really like to have a special car as my dd. two cars ago i had an '18 C4S, then i went to the new M5, and now back to the 992. i love the p car build quality which is what i hated most about the M5.

at the end of the day i will probably keep the 911 as i know there is nothing that compares, but i do need to at least entertain the coupe gts and see if it can make me happy until i either add a lift or get a third car garage.

thanks for all the replies, appreciate it.
Old 01-06-2021, 02:35 PM
Drizz
Racer

Received 221 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn
but it’s also one of four cars in our household.
How do you get away with that!? My wife has always indulged me in terms of letting me buy whatever cool car I want, but I haven't yet convinced her that we need a 3rd a car. I've got the 911 and she's got the SUV, but that's it. In truth we get by fine w/ the 2, but I'd love to have another toy in the garage. My sights are currently on a Ferrari F355 that would strictly be a weekend car, but even though they're not even that expensive I've yet to make the case for why we "need" to have that. The closest I've come thus far was "if I got rid of the 911 and bought something like a Ferrari 488 it CAN'T be my daily driver, so I would HAVE to buy a normal car to DD". She somewhat followed that logic.
mdrobc1213 (01-10-2021)
Old 01-06-2021, 02:45 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,470 Likes on 2,814 Posts

Originally Posted by Drizz
How do you get away with that!? My wife has always indulged me in terms of letting me buy whatever cool car I want, but I haven't yet convinced her that we need a 3rd a car. I've got the 911 and she's got the SUV, but that's it. In truth we get by fine w/ the 2, but I'd love to have another toy in the garage. My sights are currently on a Ferrari F355 that would strictly be a weekend car, but even though they're not even that expensive I've yet to make the case for why we "need" to have that. The closest I've come thus far was "if I got rid of the 911 and bought something like a Ferrari 488 it CAN'T be my daily driver, so I would HAVE to buy a normal car to DD". She somewhat followed that logic.
Can't speak for detansinn, but what worked for me was getting my wife into cars. She loves 911s and is totally on board with us have a couple. That's the ideal way to do it. No apologies and no guilt trips.
Old 01-06-2021, 05:31 PM
Benedict14
Burning Brakes

Received 291 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by gcurnew
I confess to having spent a good deal of time configuring Sport Turismos, and I have not the slightest need or inclination to buy one. They provide near-SUV practicality with great performance and looks. This would be a great solution for the OP.
Me too. I wonder how may others suffer ? I might start a support group. Sport Turismo Anonymous (STA) ?
gcurnew (01-07-2021)
Old 01-06-2021, 07:01 PM
Drizz
Racer

Originally Posted by rk-d
Can't speak for detansinn, but what worked for me was getting my wife into cars. She loves 911s and is totally on board with us have a couple. That's the ideal way to do it. No apologies and no guilt trips.
My wife could care less about cars. She understands my love for them (and has told me she really likes my 911), but it even takes convincing to get her nice vehicles as she would be happy riding around in a hooptie.
detansinn (01-06-2021)
Old 01-06-2021, 07:20 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 117 Posts

I would consider Merc AMG63s wagon or Audi RS6 before a Cayenne GTS if that was the sporty family hauler I needed
atlrvr (01-06-2021)
Old 01-06-2021, 07:22 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,470 Likes on 2,814 Posts

My wife could care less about cars. She understands my love for them (and has told me she really likes my 911), but it even takes convincing to get her nice vehicles as she would be happy riding around in a hooptie.
I hear you. And, not gonna lie, it took some convincing to get my wife on board with getting a Turbo. She's pretty much given up on me acting rationally anymore, so that helps.
The following 2 users liked this post by rk-d:
detansinn (01-06-2021), mdrobc1213 (01-10-2021)
Old 01-06-2021, 07:46 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,135 Likes on 3,006 Posts

Every marriage and relationship is a little different. It also depends upon what kind of car that you’re trying to add.

We’ve been married 26 years. My wife was always tolerant of my automotive and motorcycle toys, but she only really truly started to embrace it about 5 years ago. For her, big part of that are the experiences that we have shared together with the cars. With our kids older now, we do a lot of road tripping and adventures without the kids. When we purchased her a new Mercedes a few years ago, she admitted to me that she really didn’t appreciate cars until she had the opportunity to drive a good one. Truth.

When I wanted to add a little Alfa Romeo 4C two seater to the household, I presented it as a “date car” — something fun where we’d leave the kids at home and just go. I didn’t misrepresent it and that car has fulfilled its mission. As a result, we’ve got amazing stories and memories with that car, which admittedly is a totally impractical toy, but we’re using it right.

So, yeah, it’s a lot easier when your significant other is a participant in the fun. In fact, when I put down my deposit on the 911, she joked that we just bought a car that cost as much as our first house, but she was nearly as excited as me when we picked it up. Now, “Let’s take the Porsche” is a favorite request and yes, those 18 way seats get praise from Mrs Ansinn.

Let’s take your Ferrari F355 want. I would ditch the “weekend car” framing, because that just says you’re going to disappear for cars and coffee or otherwise not be around for the weekends. That Ferrari is a perfect date car. When you go to that great restaurant that you guys love, you do it in the Ferrari. When you meet up with your friends, you drive the Ferrari. Antiquing? Ferrari, because it will naturally limit how much you can take home with you. You’re not buying it for “you” — it’s going to be something that you both get to experience. That’s how I would pitch it. If you need me to hop on a Zoom with you two, let me know.:P

Sidebar: Mrs Ansinn and I once went for a drive into Philadelphia at 10PM on a Sunday night, in our quick little Alfa 4C Spider. No muffler. Exhaust at full wail and echoing between the skyscrapers. Top was down. Summer weather was perfect. Stars in the night sky. Racing through Center City where speed enforcement is non-existent. We had the roads nearly to ourselves. We came to a stop at a traffic light when an older gentleman, in a silver BMW 7 series, pulled up along side of us. He said “You guys are like Miami Vice!” and gave us a thumbs up. Memories. That’s what it is all about.

Last edited by detansinn; 01-06-2021 at 07:48 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by detansinn:
Drizz (01-06-2021), Master Deep (01-06-2021), mdrobc1213 (01-10-2021)
Old 01-06-2021, 08:27 PM
Drizz
Racer

Originally Posted by detansinn
Every marriage and relationship is a little different. It also depends upon what kind of car that you’re trying to add.

We’ve been married 26 years. My wife was always tolerant of my automotive and motorcycle toys, but she only really truly started to embrace it about 5 years ago. For her, big part of that are the experiences that we have shared together with the cars. With our kids older now, we do a lot of road tripping and adventures without the kids. When we purchased her a new Mercedes a few years ago, she admitted to me that she really didn’t appreciate cars until she had the opportunity to drive a good one. Truth.

When I wanted to add a little Alfa Romeo 4C two seater to the household, I presented it as a “date car” — something fun where we’d leave the kids at home and just go. I didn’t misrepresent it and that car has fulfilled its mission. As a result, we’ve got amazing stories and memories with that car, which admittedly is a totally impractical toy, but we’re using it right.

So, yeah, it’s a lot easier when your significant other is a participant in the fun. In fact, when I put down my deposit on the 911, she joked that we just bought a car that cost as much as our first house, but she was nearly as excited as me when we picked it up. Now, “Let’s take the Porsche” is a favorite request and yes, those 18 way seats get praise from Mrs Ansinn.

Let’s take your Ferrari F355 want. I would ditch the “weekend car” framing, because that just says you’re going to disappear for cars and coffee or otherwise not be around for the weekends. That Ferrari is a perfect date car. When you go to that great restaurant that you guys love, you do it in the Ferrari. When you meet up with your friends, you drive the Ferrari. Antiquing? Ferrari, because it will naturally limit how much you can take home with you. You’re not buying it for “you” — it’s going to be something that you both get to experience. That’s how I would pitch it. If you need me to hop on a Zoom with you two, let me know.:P

Sidebar: Mrs Ansinn and I once went for a drive into Philadelphia at 10PM on a Sunday night, in our quick little Alfa 4C Spider. No muffler. Exhaust at full wail and echoing between the skyscrapers. Top was down. Summer weather was perfect. Stars in the night sky. Racing through Center City where speed enforcement is non-existent. We had the roads nearly to ourselves. We came to a stop at a traffic light when an older gentleman, in a silver BMW 7 series, pulled up along side of us. He said “You guys are like Miami Vice!” and gave us a thumbs up. Memories. That’s what it is all about.
Great story and thanks for the reply. Thanks as well for the suggestion on how to frame a purchase like that! You're spot on about the memories.

I love the 4C, btw, and have always thought about getting one but it's just so damn impractical as a daily driver (which goes back to my original dilemma!).
detansinn (01-06-2021)

Quick Reply: 911 to Cayenne opinion