Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

992 Carrera T Club

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2022, 01:04 PM
rokkerkory
Racer

Received 510 Likes on 172 Posts

Ima go into dealer to check base sound vs burmester ugh to think i may have to spend 5k on sound system
Old 12-01-2022, 01:16 PM
renn.tp
Racer

Received 595 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by rokkerkory
Ima go into dealer to check base sound vs burmester ugh to think i may have to spend 5k on sound system
Join the club, I like music too much to be disappointed in the stereo in my 135K car…annoying, but we all value different things!

Spoke to the best installer in my area, and the aftermarket route will be similarly priced to get something comparable to Burmester.
The following users liked this post:
rokkerkory (12-01-2022)
Old 12-01-2022, 01:17 PM
balucipher
Pro

Received 643 Likes on 331 Posts

If I can't get the buckets in my T, I'll probably end up optioning the Burmester. It'll be silly looking with the poverty plastic standard interior but whatever, I don't care.
adm63 (12-01-2022)
Old 12-01-2022, 01:22 PM
Ikone
Three Wheelin'

Received 819 Likes on 407 Posts

Originally Posted by Butzi901
Join the club, I like music too much to be disappointed in the stereo in my 135K car…annoying, but we all value different things!

Spoke to the best installer in my area, and the aftermarket route will be similarly priced to get something comparable to Burmester.
I'm with you on this. I love music and the older I get the more I value better sound. There are times when I shut all audio off and just listen to the engine noise, especially when doing some mountain driving. But when I'm commuting or doing road trips there's nothing like some good music from good speakers. My daily is a 2023 RS3 and it has the Bang and Olufsen system, which is really nice as well.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ikone:
Patriot (02-16-2023), rokkerkory (12-01-2022)
Old 12-01-2022, 01:35 PM
balucipher
Pro

I've spent time in a 992 C2S equipped with Burmester. It's an excellent system and the clarity is great - as long as you use a high quality source like Tidal HiFi or another premium streaming service with high bitrate. SiriusXM sounded like straight garbage in it, because its low bitrate and compressed.

The base system works and gets quite loud despite its low power rating, but there's really not much to it. Very low quality speakers, I didn't notice much distortion in the car I was in but I can't remember if we really cranked it.

Keep in mind the 992 is a loud vehicle to begin with so it won't sound as good as like a Mark Levinson system in a new Lexus because you've got road, tire and wind noise to compete with but the Burmester really does shine with a good audio source. In the T with reduced sound deadening I think its a good option, so that when you're doing boring commuting type driving in it you can turn up the sound and enjoy some music. I live in super flat and boring Florida now but when I lived in SoCal there was nothing better than blasting up and down a canyon road with the music blasting.
The following 3 users liked this post by balucipher:
Ikone (12-01-2022), Patriot (02-16-2023), rokkerkory (12-01-2022)
Old 12-01-2022, 01:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 804 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by balucipher
lmao
You don't think shaving 1.5s per minute on the track could be accomplished by going from summer street tires to what are essentially racing tires? You would be in minority there. GTS is only slower around the ring by 20s (roughly 4.7%). there is an easy 11 ish taken off by a tire/alignment change, that leaves 9 sec. for the tune to shave. 100% stand by my initial comment. I would bet on the GTS winning due to a large hp advantage and a gargantuan torque advantage, GT3 gaining in the turns, but the ring has some long straights. If the GTS lost, it would be by a very slim margin.
Old 12-01-2022, 01:58 PM
Ikone
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 22992
You don't think shaving 1.5s per minute on the track could be accomplished by going from summer street tires to what are essentially racing tires? You would be in minority there. GTS is only slower around the ring by 20s (roughly 4.7%). there is an easy 11 ish taken off by a tire/alignment change, that leaves 9 sec. for the tune to shave. 100% stand by my initial comment. I would bet on the GTS winning due to a large hp advantage and a gargantuan torque advantage, GT3 gaining in the turns, but the ring has some long straights. If the GTS lost, it would be by a very slim margin.
Nurburgring really only has one 'long' straight and I don't think it's 1.5s that needs shaving off.
From this article: https://www.carthrottle.com/post/992...nt-i-want-one/

"Its 7:25.632 Nurburgring lap lags behind the GT3’s 6:59.927, but Lars Kern, who was behind the wheel for both efforts, reckons a more concerted effort with the GTS (including some tweaks and better tyres) would yield a circa-7:10"

Edit: And this article makes me want to stick with the T even more.

Last edited by Ikone; 12-01-2022 at 02:03 PM. Reason: edit
Old 12-01-2022, 02:04 PM
balucipher
Pro

Originally Posted by 22992
With Lars Kern behind the wheel, the GT3 on Cup 2 R's ran 6:59.927, and the GTS ran 7:25.632 on Pilot 4 S tires. I agree tires are HUGE and will cut down the gap quite a bit, but I'd say 7:10 and change with tires/alignment/pads and some bit faster with a tune. GT3 aero is huge and the level of mechanical grip that provides won't be matched by the GTS despite the benefit a strong tune would give.

We need someone with a tuned and track prepped GTS to try this for us.

HerrDr (12-01-2022)
Old 12-01-2022, 02:05 PM
rokkerkory
Racer

Received 510 Likes on 172 Posts

GEEZ GREAT THANKS TO YOU GUYS I MAY HAVE TO SPEND 5K HAHAHA

Originally Posted by balucipher
I've spent time in a 992 C2S equipped with Burmester. It's an excellent system and the clarity is great - as long as you use a high quality source like Tidal HiFi or another premium streaming service with high bitrate. SiriusXM sounded like straight garbage in it, because its low bitrate and compressed.

The base system works and gets quite loud despite its low power rating, but there's really not much to it. Very low quality speakers, I didn't notice much distortion in the car I was in but I can't remember if we really cranked it.

Keep in mind the 992 is a loud vehicle to begin with so it won't sound as good as like a Mark Levinson system in a new Lexus because you've got road, tire and wind noise to compete with but the Burmester really does shine with a good audio source. In the T with reduced sound deadening I think its a good option, so that when you're doing boring commuting type driving in it you can turn up the sound and enjoy some music. I live in super flat and boring Florida now but when I lived in SoCal there was nothing better than blasting up and down a canyon road with the music blasting.
Originally Posted by Ikone
I'm with you on this. I love music and the older I get the more I value better sound. There are times when I shut all audio off and just listen to the engine noise, especially when doing some mountain driving. But when I'm commuting or doing road trips there's nothing like some good music from good speakers. My daily is a 2023 RS3 and it has the Bang and Olufsen system, which is really nice as well.

The following 2 users liked this post by rokkerkory:
balucipher (12-01-2022), Ikone (12-01-2022)
Old 12-01-2022, 02:08 PM
balucipher
Pro

Originally Posted by rokkerkory
GEEZ GREAT THANKS TO YOU GUYS I MAY HAVE TO SPEND 5K HAHAHA
haha GOTEM

hey PCNA if you're reading this, you can pay me back for this sale by picking up my allocation soon thx
The following 2 users liked this post by balucipher:
rokkerkory (12-01-2022), tourenwagen (12-01-2022)
Old 12-01-2022, 02:34 PM
Scott P
Rennlist Member

Received 3,258 Likes on 1,399 Posts

I'm a music lover too but I'll be damned if I'm shelling out $5K+ for a sound system. I'll put in my Bose earbuds instead
Old 12-01-2022, 02:46 PM
Ikone
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Scott P
I'm a music lover too but I'll be damned if I'm shelling out $5K+ for a sound system. I'll put in my Bose earbuds instead
Bose???
No right minded audiophile would say this.
Old 12-01-2022, 02:49 PM
balucipher
Pro

Originally Posted by Scott P
I saw an Altima driver this morning doing this
Old 12-01-2022, 02:51 PM
HerrDr
Pro

Received 1,075 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by Ikone
Bose???
No right minded audiophile would say this.
On the contrary: The noise floor is so high in a 911 (especially with less sound deadening) it just isn't worth it. I'd rather put that $5k towards the floorstanders I've been eyeing where I can really enjoy it. And consider putting more money into room furnishings to make the environment as neutral and unreflecting as possible.

911 is for driving; not for music. But that's just me.

Edit: Oh. But no on headphones while driving.

Last edited by HerrDr; 12-01-2022 at 02:58 PM.
Old 12-01-2022, 03:00 PM
Ikone
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by HerrDr
On the contrary: The noise floor is so high in a 911 (especially with less sound deadening) it just isn't worth it. I'd rather put that $5k towards the floorstanders I've been eyeing where I can really enjoy it. And consider putting more money into room furnishings to make the environment as neutral and unreflecting as possible.

911 is for driving; not for music. But that's just me.

Edit: Oh. But no on headphones while driving.
That is exactly why you want speakers that can go higher volume with less distortion. I've heard this argument before but in real world experience it falls flat. I already have some nice floor standing ones and good headphones. I want to be able to enjoy music at its best when I'm driving. I'm not always doing spirited drives. I think it's a bit romantic and imaginary to think all one will listen to is the engine at all times.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ikone:
HerrDr (12-01-2022), rokkerkory (12-01-2022)

Quick Reply: 992 Carrera T Club