Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

992 interior colors opinion

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2021, 05:34 AM
ipaneda
Cruisin'

Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts

I am having the same issue with gentian blue: struggling with the interior. I am thinking some contrast, so grey and black are out. Slate/chalk I looks awesome on pics and videos, but I am concerned on how it will do with time. Have you thought about truffle with chalk stitching? I know it is not black dash, but it looks interesting in a couple of videos out there with gentian. I have the interior in my Panamera and it is great! Your option 3 seems also interesting.... although, of your three choices, black is probably safest. Could not tell you about the green. Let us know what you decide!
Old 01-17-2021, 08:55 AM
dgtarga
Rennlist Member

Received 518 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by 3rdpedal
I am struggling with my build. C2S Manual. Have a '08 C4S Manual now in Midnight Blue w/ Grey interior.

Originally I was thinking Midnight Blue again but have settled on the Gentian for the way it chameleons from bright to darker depending on lighting. My issue however is the interior. I want a black dash and love the chalk stitching but want light seats. So the Chalk/Slate is out because I don't care for the Slate/Grey wheel and dash.

From what I have seen the Iceland Green/Black is so subtle. Any owners of that interior or anyone who has seen it live can chime in, would it work with the Gentian Blue or would it just look wrong. I've heard the green is almost white??

My other options would be either:

1. all Black (full leather),
2. Black with Mojave but not a Beige fan and that doesn't have that crisp winter feel to the interior, OR
3. Black with Chalk Stitching and Deviated Centers in Chalk.

Also planning the Tach and Chrono dials in White. Standard black seatbelts.

I don't think I want to change my Exterior color to Aventurine (as it is too much like Agate) or Chalk, because I love the Blue colors.

Any input would be great.
Have you considered black/mojave with black seat centers? The combination goes well with the blues and the seat centers break up the beige well. And the beige deviated stitching over black looks nice on the dash and door trim. Had similar on a 991.2 TTS recently (was black/luxor beige, which has more of a yellow tone vs mojave - think mojave looks much better) and it seemed to work.

Old 01-17-2021, 09:42 AM
Russian Mafia
Burning Brakes

Received 855 Likes on 419 Posts

I am struggling with my build. C2S Manual. Have a '08 C4S Manual now in Midnight Blue w/ Grey interior.

Originally I was thinking Midnight Blue again but have settled on the Gentian for the way it chameleons from bright to darker depending on lighting. My issue however is the interior. I want a black dash and love the chalk stitching but want light seats. So the Chalk/Slate is out because I don't care for the Slate/Grey wheel and dash.

From what I have seen the Iceland Green/Black is so subtle. Any owners of that interior or anyone who has seen it live can chime in, would it work with the Gentian Blue or would it just look wrong. I've heard the green is almost white??

2. Black with Mojave but not a Beige fan and that doesn't have that crisp winter feel to the interior, OR

I don't think I want to change my Exterior color to Aventurine (as it is too much like Agate) or Chalk, because I love the Blue colors.

I won't suggest anything for you, I'm not that good at it. I'll just say there are really three different builds. The first is is splashy and impressive amongst the dramatic builds you see on RL. The second is what looks good to you now. The third is what will make you happy over time. If you're lucky they're the same build. In my case they weren't. And as much as I'd hoped, there was never some guiding light. I just made the choices I thought would make me happiest in the long run. Fortunately as the boat gets closer I'm happier with my build. That could involve some confirmation bias but if it does, it's working for me.
Old 01-17-2021, 09:50 AM
Ascayman
Track Day

Received 38 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ipaneda
I am having the same issue with gentian blue: struggling with the interior. I am thinking some contrast, so grey and black are out. Slate/chalk I looks awesome on pics and videos, but I am concerned on how it will do with time. Have you thought about truffle with chalk stitching? I know it is not black dash, but it looks interesting in a couple of videos out there with gentian. I have the interior in my Panamera and it is great! Your option 3 seems also interesting.... although, of your three choices, black is probably safest. Could not tell you about the green. Let us know what you decide!
IVe ordered Gentian and have gone graphite blue with crayon stitching for the interior.
Old 01-17-2021, 10:16 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 463 Likes on 258 Posts

I had considered many interior combinations for my GB build and finally settled on graphite blue inserts.
It just arrived and for me, it strikes the right tone and balance in subtly breaking up the full black leather interior.

Old 01-17-2021, 10:33 AM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Received 2,194 Likes on 1,244 Posts

I like. Very subtle.

I have jumped back and forth between black/Iceland Green; black with chalk stitching; and black with Iceland Green inserts. The Iceland green is very nice, but too close to what I already have, and wanted to shake it up a bit with the 992.

Both my wife and Porsche rep felt the black/Iceland Green inserts “looked too busy” and the black(Iceland Green looked too much like my existing M4. So I have finally settled on this - something about the chalk stitching (doesn’t really show up in these build pics) on the black that I really like. I also went with the wood grain trim. I saw this exact combination on a Turbo S at my dealership and fell in love.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 01-17-2021 at 10:38 AM.
Old 01-17-2021, 02:19 PM
FrankAT
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 43 Posts

Having owned 3 911s with black interiors and one with two tone red/black I can say for sure I will never go back to an all black interior. Visually, the color interiors are just stunning to look at. Even from the outside my red seats really pop in just the right way. But even more importantly, it gives a deeper sense of spatial dimension. The black interior feels very cold and confining compared to the other colors. Obviously this is a subjective view but something to consider.

Another thing I will never go back to is the partial leather. For so long I thought “this isn’t an S class, I don’t need full leather in a 911”. And then I ordered my current 992 with full leather because of the feedback i saw from people on this forum and couldn’t be happier with it. Porsche executes it very well. It doesn’t have an opulent look to it. But it still manages to elevate the overall quality to a level befitting a car at this price point.
Old 01-17-2021, 02:36 PM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Originally Posted by FrankAT
Having owned 3 911s with black interiors and one with two tone red/black I can say for sure I will never go back to an all black interior. Visually, the color interiors are just stunning to look at. Even from the outside my red seats really pop in just the right way. But even more importantly, it gives a deeper sense of spatial dimension. The black interior feels very cold and confining compared to the other colors. Obviously this is a subjective view but something to consider.

Another thing I will never go back to is the partial leather. For so long I thought “this isn’t an S class, I don’t need full leather in a 911”. And then I ordered my current 992 with full leather because of the feedback i saw from people on this forum and couldn’t be happier with it. Porsche executes it very well. It doesn’t have an opulent look to it. But it still manages to elevate the overall quality to a level befitting a car at this price point.

I hear ya. This was my 2nd choice, which is very close to what I have on my M4, and do love. That said, if I didn’t have the chalk stitching on the black seats, I would not get the black. I think the stitching does make the seats stand out. What I don’t like about a light colored seat is, from the outside, is diverts one’s focus away from the exterior beauty of the car.

When I am outside the car, I don’t want to notice or be distracted by the seats. Case in point on 2nd pic. Also one reason I blacked out the red calipers...I think it pulls the focus away from the car’s lines. But all personal taste. In the end, I think I will be happy with either choice.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 01-17-2021 at 02:43 PM.
Old 01-17-2021, 03:12 PM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Received 1,789 Likes on 943 Posts

First off, thanks for all the quick and great replies.

I am not a fan of the brown so Truffle is out. Really I love that arctic, winter look of the light light seats, and while I originally thought black with chalk stitching and chalk deviated seat centers (my current build) I love how the all chalk doors and seats and other leather looks. I just want the dash and wheel in black and unfortunately the all chalk is mated to the slate gray.

Originally Posted by dgtarga
Have you considered black/mojave with black seat centers? The combination goes well with the blues and the seat centers break up the beige well. And the beige deviated stitching over black looks nice on the dash and door trim. Had similar on a 991.2 TTS recently (was black/luxor beige, which has more of a yellow tone vs mojave - think mojave looks much better) and it seemed to work.
I do like the black mojave and love the idea of seat centers. Like I said originally was thinking black / chalk stitching, and chalk centers, but wanted something more encompassing. And I do see how the mojave beige goes with blue exterior except that I truly am looking for that more wintery feel of the lighter seat options like the chalk or iceland. And I want to do my tach and chrono dials in white and feel the beige isn't a good match for that.

Originally Posted by Russian Mafia
I won't suggest anything for you, I'm not that good at it. I'll just say there are really three different builds. The first is is splashy and impressive amongst the dramatic builds you see on RL. The second is what looks good to you now. The third is what will make you happy over time. If you're lucky they're the same build. In my case they weren't. And as much as I'd hoped, there was never some guiding light. I just made the choices I thought would make me happiest in the long run. Fortunately as the boat gets closer I'm happier with my build. That could involve some confirmation bias but if it does, it's working for me.
I know a lot of folks warn to the light seats for jeans, etc. We had it black carpet and oyster (light light gray) on my wife's 335i ten years ago and they did get dirty over time because she never cleaned them, not from jeans. I clean my interior.

Originally Posted by 1Gunner
I had considered many interior combinations for my GB build and finally settled on graphite blue inserts.
It just arrived and for me, it strikes the right tone and balance in subtly breaking up the full black leather interior.
That looks good. Tasteful. But I am really interested in the light feel interior. Looks so crisp.

Originally Posted by FrankAT

I am definitely going full leather. Not the issue. Really trying to find a way to do a light interior without a grey wheel and dash. I almost convinced myself to go Aventurine and Iceland because they will go well together but I really want a Blue exterior.

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
I hear ya. This was my 2nd choice, which is very close to what I have on my M4, and do love. That said, if I didn’t have the chalk stitching on the black seats, I would not get the black. I think the stitching does make the seats stand out. What I don’t like about a light colored seat is, from the outside, is diverts one’s focus away from the exterior beauty of the car.

When I am outside the car, I don’t want to notice or be distracted by the seats. Case in point on 2nd pic. Also one reason I blacked out the red calipers...I think it pulls the focus away from the car’s lines. But all personal taste. In the end, I think I will be happy with either choice.
The problem with the configurator is that the Gentian is way off. And on the interiors, so is the Iceland.

That is why I was hoping someone with a Iceland Green interior could actually tell me how light it is or how 'Green' it is and whether it might work or really would not work with the Blue exterior. Personally I want a Chalk/Black but they only offer the Chalk with Slate Gray.

Here are some bad pics taken at a dealer with the Black interior with Chalk Stitching and the Chalk Seat Centers which is in my current build. Their pictures are not great.

Last edited by 3rdpedal; 01-17-2021 at 03:16 PM.
Old 01-17-2021, 03:48 PM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Thanks. About a week ago I got to see an all black interior, with chalk stitching on a Turbo S. Now maybe I was influenced because I was sitting in a Turbo S, but I fell in love with that interior. The seating pattern is a bit different on the Turbo S, from the C2s, but not significantly.

I’ve also seen the Iceland Green interior, in person, and the “green” in that leather is very subtle. It’s hard to describe, but I also loved that color. I’ve gone back and forth. As I mentioned, I have a light interior (with black dash, flooring and roof liner) on my M4. I do love it...but, when viewed from the outside, the lighter interior does move one’s attention/focus from the exterior to the interior...

I decided to steer away from the seat centers with a different color because both my wife and the Porsche rep thought it was “too busy”. I don’t want the seat coloring to be the the center of attraction on the car. Also why I am staying away from a red/burgundy interior...
Old 01-17-2021, 03:50 PM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

PS - Compared to the chalk, the Iceland green is not nearly as stark white. If anything, the Iceland Green is closer to a light tan in color.
Old 01-17-2021, 04:07 PM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

PS - Compared to the chalk, the Iceland green is not nearly as stark white. If anything, the Iceland Green is closer to a light tan in color.
Thanks. I could not do a red interior. I test drove a used 2015 a couple years ago in GT with Bordeaux Red interior and it was overwhelming.

That said, I hear what you said but I am not worried about the “look” of the interior grabbing the attention away from the exterior. I figure the interior is what I see when I am driving. So I spend most of my time around the car looking at the interior. And my only concern with the deviated centers is the lack of that enveloping feel you get with the whole seats in light leather, as well as how it extends to the doors and other areas of the dash, etc. I think there was a really cool interior on the 991 that was light on the outside of the seat and graphite blue centers but they weren’t really centers, as the shape had curves to it. I would go for that.

My big question since you have seen the Iceland in person, would it work with the Blue or do you think it would look weird? I really want it to be light and realize it isn’t the Chalk but am concerned the green tone will clash.

Starting to wonder if I am going to settle for the Slate/Chalk and give up on the black dash and wheel or is I am going to settle for the all black. Another option is all black with Chalk Centers but no Chalk Stitching. I think Chalk Stitching and Centers may actually be a bit much.
Old 01-17-2021, 04:47 PM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Thanks. I could not do a red interior. I test drove a used 2015 a couple years ago in GT with Bordeaux Red interior and it was overwhelming.

That said, I hear what you said but I am not worried about the “look” of the interior grabbing the attention away from the exterior. I figure the interior is what I see when I am driving. So I spend most of my time around the car looking at the interior. And my only concern with the deviated centers is the lack of that enveloping feel you get with the whole seats in light leather, as well as how it extends to the doors and other areas of the dash, etc. I think there was a really cool interior on the 991 that was light on the outside of the seat and graphite blue centers but they weren’t really centers, as the shape had curves to it. I would go for that.

My big question since you have seen the Iceland in person, would it work with the Blue or do you think it would look weird? I really want it to be light and realize it isn’t the Chalk but am concerned the green tone will clash.

Starting to wonder if I am going to settle for the Slate/Chalk and give up on the black dash and wheel or is I am going to settle for the all black. Another option is all black with Chalk Centers but no Chalk Stitching. I think Chalk Stitching and Centers may actually be a bit much.

I will never buy a car that doesn’t have a black steering wheel and top of dash. reduces reflections/glare. For me, that’s where I started...so had to either go two tone, or all black with chalk stitching. . Here is an actual picture of the leather seats with Iceland Green leather, and for comparison, is a coffee cup that is white...so you can compare the white cup (close to chalk) with the Iceland Green. This is not from the simulator, but actual picture from interior of 992. For me, a chalk seat would be too white, too stark. The Iceland Green is a softer shade. I like it, but not many people choose it. Think having “green” in the name scares people off. In person I can detect aa real, real light tinge of green, but hardly notice it.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 01-17-2021 at 04:50 PM.
Old 01-17-2021, 05:03 PM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

I will never buy a car that doesn’t have a black steering wheel and top of dash. reduces reflections/glare. For me, that’s where I started...so had to either go two tone, or all black with chalk stitching. . Here is an actual picture of the leather seats with Iceland Green leather, and for comparison, is a coffee cup that is white...so you can compare the white cup (close to chalk) with the Iceland Green. This is not from the simulator, but actual picture from interior of 992. For me, a chalk seat would be too white, too stark. The Iceland Green is a softer shade. I like it, but not many people choose it. Think having “green” in the name scares people off. In person I can detect aa real, real light tinge of green, but hardly notice it.
Hopefully I can see an Iceland Green in person before my build gets locked though I don’t think there are many showing up at dealers in that color. Only way I’ll probably be comfortable ordering with the Blue exterior. Otherwise I think I’ll have to have another decision.

edit: I think you may have added that last part or I missed it when I read it. Definitely still worth considering. I think I’d be all over it, but pairing it with the Gentian Blue gives me a little pause. I almost feel like it might go better with my original color choice, the Midnight Blue because of how dark the color is.

Last edited by 3rdpedal; 01-17-2021 at 05:11 PM.
Old 01-17-2021, 05:14 PM
dgtarga
Rennlist Member

Received 518 Likes on 304 Posts

I'm a big fan of the two tone interiors. My first choice for a GT silver Targa would have been black/chalk, which I have in my Panamera. Since not available for the 992, I went with slate gray and chalk, with slate gray seat centers (personally, I don't think it looks "busy" at all - it would to me if the seat centers were a third color). I've driven it in bright sunshine with top down and don't see any glare with the gray dash. Been very happy with it.
The following users liked this post:
ScottTurbo (01-25-2021)

Quick Reply: 992 interior colors opinion