Sponsored by:

ECU tuning

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2020 | 01:29 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Default ECU tuning

Ahhh how greedy we all are! Don't we have enough horsepower and speed already?

Anybody hear of any legitimate, reliable ECU tunes for the 992, or anything else that is safe that can increase hp?

Popular Reply

12-10-2020, 07:41 PM
slc4s
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Tupper
I’m sorry, please don’t take offense. I’m sort of new to all of this. The idea that I should buy a car well over $100k, then take a piece out of it and send it overseas, then have it “reprogrammed”, then sent back to me to reinstall, all while losing my factory drivetrain warranty, sort of..........ya know. Defies common sense.

It sure would be better if I could drive it into a shop, get it worked on, and then drive it home right afterward.
dude... you are the one that started a thread about finding a tune. FVD responded and now you are saying it defies common sense to do what it takes to get a tune. Just stop.
Old 12-09-2020 | 05:49 PM
dgasmd
Instructor

Hopefully in the US. There are a few videos online already of UK and German places doing this, but I am yet to see one in the US.
Old 12-09-2020 | 05:52 PM
GT Rennsport
Advanced

M-engineering.
Old 12-09-2020 | 06:06 PM
Rhonda@FVD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

We have had our software out for the 992 C2S and C4S for sometime now. You can't get much more reliable than tuning Porsche models only since 1983.

FVD Brombacher Software Upgrade - 992 C2S / C4S - 3.0 L - 535 Hp / 450 Tq

Contact me directly to get the latest FVD forum member discount!

Rhonda Roxburgh
+1-954-571-2050 x 1
rhonda.roxburgh@fvd.net

Want to learn more about us? Click here...

Old 12-09-2020 | 06:14 PM
dgasmd
Instructor

Originally Posted by GT Rennsport
M-engineering.
requires chip to be sent in. Would be nice to be able to easily do this at home without tearing apart stuff and permanently voiding the warranty. COBB Accessport for the 992 would be my ideal for sure, but no available. Nor
do they even have a clue as to when they will
roll it out!
Old 12-09-2020 | 06:43 PM
GT Rennsport
Advanced

Originally Posted by dgasmd
requires chip to be sent in. Would be nice to be able to easily do this at home without tearing apart stuff and permanently voiding the warranty. COBB Accessport for the 992 would be my ideal for sure, but no available. Nor
do they even have a clue as to when they will
roll it out!
FWIW, Mitch McKee with M-engineering used to be the lead of the Porsche team at COBB.

Perhaps that is why there is no COBB access port solution for the 992.

Warranty is void no matter how you look at is, so you should go with somebody you trust.

M-engineering is adding dealers daily, so if there is a tuner near you that you trust to do the install, just ask them to submit an application to carry the product.
Old 12-09-2020 | 07:26 PM
dgasmd
Instructor

Originally Posted by GT Rennsport
FWIW, Mitch McKee with M-engineering used to be the lead of the Porsche team at COBB.

Perhaps that is why there is no COBB access port solution for the 992.

Warranty is void no matter how you look at is, so you should go with somebody you trust.

M-engineering is adding dealers daily, so if there is a tuner near you that you trust to do the install, just ask them to submit an application to carry the product.
Didnt know most of that, so thanks for the education. I’d still prefer something I can easily take off and put back on before going to the dealership.

I for one, don’t know any tuners or shops anywhere in the area. Just a regular guy that doesn’t go to a track, do meets or club runs, etc. I just wanna get a little extra oomph from my car, if at all possible, while doing it in my garage in an idiot proof way by someone with little to no mechanical skills. Tall order, I know.....
Old 12-09-2020 | 08:25 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rhonda@FVD
We have had our software out for the 992 C2S and C4S for sometime now. You can't get much more reliable than tuning Porsche models only since 1983.

FVD Brombacher Software Upgrade - 992 C2S / C4S - 3.0 L - 535 Hp / 450 Tq

How am I to be sure that your software does what it says that it does, and how would one install it?
Old 12-09-2020 | 08:53 PM
malba2366
Three Wheelin'

Ahhh how greedy we all are! Don't we have enough horsepower and speed already?

Anybody hear of any legitimate, reliable ECU tunes for the 992, or anything else that is safe that can increase hp?
I believe APR is tuning the 992 now. They are very reliable, they have a long history of tuning vehicles. I have used a couple of their Audi tunes, they are a bit more conservative than others, and they do a lot of testing before release.
Old 12-09-2020 | 09:25 PM
BMS
Former Vendor

JB4 for the 992, PNP device you can remove whenever you want.

Old 12-10-2020 | 09:56 AM
Rhonda@FVD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

How am I to be sure that your software does what it says that it does, and how would one install it?
We have a 30 day money back guarantee, no questions asked. Installation requires you to send the ECU to us to be unlocked and programmed currently.

As mentioned, our engineers started tuning the 3.2 L Carrera back in late 83 and have programmed every 911 model since. Our headquarters is in Germany and part of our development takes place on the Autobahn. The Autobahn is the ultimate proving grounds. The Autobahn ensures that our software engineers must produce power without sacrificing reliability. Countless kilometers at wide open throttle certainly weeds out any tuner who cannot program with engine safety in mind.

Also, we offer forum discounts to all Rennlist members. Simply contact me via a private message and I will respond with a current promo code for our online shop.
Old 12-10-2020 | 10:17 AM
dgasmd
Instructor

Originally Posted by BMS
JB4 for the 992, PNP device you can remove whenever you want.

Interesting. Looked at the installation pictures and they are not on a 992. Was hoping to see that if available.

has anyone used this before??
The following users liked this post:
dhirm5 (03-31-2021)
Old 12-10-2020 | 10:45 AM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Edit: I’m learning a lot more about ECU tuning now and retract this statement

Last edited by Tupper; 12-28-2020 at 10:50 PM.
Old 12-10-2020 | 11:12 AM
dgasmd
Instructor

It takes an overwhelming amount of trust for one to do what you are asking.

And that trust..........not there
Not sure if your reply/comment was specifically about the company above or in general. Seems most do require the ecu to be removed and sent in, which has been the norm with most unless you go in persona and have them do it on site. I'd have to be out of my mind and loving to blow money to forgo the factory warranty for 4 years on a new car in exchange for some tuning. That is exactly what would happen the moment I show up for maintenance or a problem and they plug in the car. Especially for someone like myself that won't track, etc. That is why something easily removable without trace like the COBB is so attractive to me personally.

Last edited by dgasmd; 12-10-2020 at 11:14 AM.
Old 12-10-2020 | 11:28 AM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dgasmd
Interesting. Looked at the installation pictures and they are not on a 992. Was hoping to see that if available.

has anyone used this before??
There’s a thread in the Cayenne 9Y0 forum about JB4 installed on a base Cayenne. Search for ‘mind blown’.

Quick Reply: ECU tuning