992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ECU tuning

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2020 | 05:33 PM
Mb111
Rennlist Member

Has anybody used or tried Softronic? I've been doing some research and they seem to have a good reputation from some of the other users on RL.

On their website it states that you do not have to send Softronic the ECU, it's done via OBD, and that you can go back to the stock software if you need/want. My question is does the dealer have a way of seeing you've tuned when you go back to the stock settings after you tuned. I don't know if my dealer is tune friendly and I certainly wouldn't want to void my warranty on a brand new car, but the extra oomph is enticing.
Old 12-27-2020 | 05:35 PM
Cheshi143
Pro

Originally Posted by Mb111
Has anybody used or tried Softronic? I've been doing some research and they seem to have a good reputation from some of the other users on RL.

On their website it states that you do not have to send Softronic the ECU, it's done via OBD, and that you can go back to the stock software if you need/want. My question is does the dealer have a way of seeing you've tuned when you go back to the stock settings after you tuned. I don't know if my dealer is tune friendly and I certainly wouldn't want to void my warranty on a brand new car, but the extra oomph is enticing.
You are changing the software on the DME, it can be detected, it can void your warranty. So can a piggyback too.
Old 12-27-2020 | 05:41 PM
Mb111
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cheshi143
You are changing the software on the DME, it can be detected, it can void your warranty. So can a piggyback too.
OK - Softronic claims that when they tune, they make a copy of your original stock DME and they send you back your original file so that when you -'un-tune' or go back to the original settings it's the exact same software you had on there originally. Is that possible, or no matter what, even if you put it back to the exact original file, it can still be detected?
Old 12-27-2020 | 06:25 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cheshi143
Yes but only if it's the piggyback system gets left on the car and is discovered during service. Easy enough to remove the physical evidence before, leaving no trace.

On ECU flashes, the ECU records the number of changes, regardless whether it's back to stock or left modified. If there's any questions and they check that ECU parameter it may then affect warranty.
The following users liked this post:
Mb111 (12-28-2020)
Old 12-27-2020 | 06:31 PM
peterdouglas
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 1Gunner
Yes but only if it's the piggyback system gets left on the car and is discovered during service. Easy enough to remove the physical evidence before, leaving no trace.

On ECU flashes, the ECU records the number of changes, regardless whether it's back to stock or left modified. If there's any questions and they check that ECU parameter it may then affect warranty.
so - if I understand correctly, a “piggyback” tune will be permanently detectable - even after physical removal and return to stock tune - and therefore may invalidate related warranty.

Is that correct?
Old 12-27-2020 | 06:36 PM
Mb111
Rennlist Member

Talking

Originally Posted by 1Gunner

Thank you for the answer, which was the best explanation I've seen on RL about the detectability of ECU flashes / tunes, and I've searched for it!

I assume when you take it in for routine service they aren't likely to check that 'parameter' unless there's an issue but anything's possible. If a dealer updates any of the other systems, PCM, etc, would that be recorded as an ECU flash or is the ECU flashing strictly limited to the engine (I think I know the answer, but just making sure)? As in, would a software flash on any system in the car obfuscate the number of flashes? Not that I'm trying to figure out any loopholes.... ;-)
Old 12-27-2020 | 06:45 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by peterdouglas
so - if I understand correctly, a “piggyback” tune will be permanently detectable - even after physical removal and return to stock tune - and therefore may invalidate related warranty.

Is that correct?
No not quite.
Piggyback tuning does not work like a flash tune which changes the ECU when flashed.
The piggyback system tricks the ECU into thinking "outside stock parameters" and increasing performance while it is plugged into the ODB port and would be only detectable IF you physically leave it in the car and took the car for service.
Mb111 (12-28-2020)
Old 12-27-2020 | 07:21 PM
LSM111
Instructor

Racechip.us some decent gains and can be easily removed. It’s a piggy
Old 12-27-2020 | 08:06 PM
Michigan 992
Rennlist Member

Piggybacks are detectable by the manufacturers if they choose to look. Anytime peak torque or acceleration rates are exceeded the software logs it. For many brands the dealers do not have the ability to see these parameters with normal scan tools. It all depends on how the manufacturer feels about tunes and rejecting warranty claims.
LSM111 (12-27-2020)
Old 12-27-2020 | 10:20 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John Mclane
True car guy, very smart and hard working:
Alex Roy
info@petuned.com
PE Tuned
Holy crap! That’s about 20 minutes from my house
Old 12-27-2020 | 10:24 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tupper
Holy crap! That’s about 20 minutes from my house
I have to drive nearly 90 min. The drive back is a whole lot of fun...
Old 12-27-2020 | 10:29 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I have to drive nearly 90 min. The drive back is a whole lot of fun...
How do feel about the tune you received?

Is the power gain as described? Is it equal across board? Have you encountered any drawbacks or issues?
Old 12-27-2020 | 10:35 PM
peterdouglas
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Michigan 992
Piggybacks are detectable by the manufacturers if they choose to look. Anytime peak torque or acceleration rates are exceeded the software logs it. For many brands the dealers do not have the ability to see these parameters with normal scan tools. It all depends on how the manufacturer feels about tunes and rejecting warranty claims.
so ... how about Porsche?
Old 12-27-2020 | 10:44 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tupper
How do feel about the tune you received?

Is the power gain as described? Is it equal across board? Have you encountered any drawbacks or issues?
Drawback is that you need to upgrade the brakes for track use if you want to fully utilize the power. With SPASM the suspension can wait for a V3 box. Fuel consumption increases as expected, not that I'm paying that much attention.
Old 12-27-2020 | 10:48 PM
ryanlsmith
Racer

True car guy, very smart and hard working:
Alex Roy
info@petuned.com
PE Tuned
Wow...so he already has a hand-held available?

Quick Reply: ECU tuning