Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2020 | 01:11 PM
Rhonda@FVD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by dgasmd
Could you pleas educate me in what's involved when one sends in the ECU? How do you physically do what you do? Curious.....
Obviously, our engineers can elaborate far more than I, but I can expand enough to get the basic point across. The 992 ECU requires us to update the software in what we refer to as a bench flash due to tuning protection from the factory. A bench flash requires our engineers to connect to the ECU’s pins (shown below) with a wiring harness (it is not necessary to open the ECU which can void the warranty on the unit). That wiring harness is connected to a computer running our bench flash software. Our bench flash software allows us to communicate with the central processing unit (CPU) via the Controller Area Network (CAN bus) and allows us to fully write the FVD software onto the CPU. ​​​​​​

Originally Posted by sechsgang
FVD is literally one of the top and oldest aftermarket companies that support Porsche and Porsche Racing efforts across pro and am spectrums...it doesn't get much, if any more trustworthy here....
Thank you for the kind words.

Originally Posted by Tupper
I’m sorry, please don’t take offense. I’m sort of new to all of this. The idea that I should buy a car well over $100k, then take a piece out of it and send it overseas, then have it “reprogrammed”, then sent back to me to reinstall, all while losing my factory drivetrain warranty, sort of..........ya know. Defies common sense.

It sure would be better if I could drive it into a shop, get it worked on, and then drive it home right afterward.
None taken. I just wanted to know how we could assist you with your trust concerns. Basically, all of the ECU’s since the 991.1 generation (2012+) required a boot or bench flash initially. Then you can set up a protocol to be able to flash the cars via the OBD port, but that takes time. In fact, you can see our past progress with our software for the water cooled models via this link… You will see the 992 must be bench flashed (ECU Pictured) and you can see that the 991.2 generation, etc. can be OBD flashed (OBD flash tool).

Currently, if you are interested in a true flash, not a piggy back unit, you are in the same boat (to my knowledge) and the ECU must be bench flashed. We have taken the steps to bench flash the 992 ECU (safer alternative than a piggy back) as early as possible and are working on our OBD tool flash which should be ready in the first or second quarter of next year. Once our OBD flash is available, we can provide you with a flash tool so that you can flash the car back to stock file prior to taking it to the dealer (like past FVD OBD flashes).

Originally Posted by ForeverCar
@Rhonda@FVD thank you for continuing to help the Rennlist community. I want to share that there are those of us that appreciate what it takes to do what FVD does over many years. Local convenience is nice but I’d prioritize engineering know how and I’d trust FVD product 100%.
You are most welcome and thank you.

Contact me directly to get the latest FVD forum member discount!

Rhonda Roxburgh
+1-954-571-2050 x 1
rhonda.roxburgh@fvd.net

Want to learn more about us? Click here...

The following 6 users liked this post by Rhonda@FVD:
540gone (12-11-2020), Auto Paint (12-28-2020), bobblehead (12-11-2020), NigelPlays (12-17-2020), SBAD (12-12-2020), Tupper (12-11-2020) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-11-2020 | 01:43 PM
dgasmd
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rhonda@FVD
Currently, if you are interested in a true flash, not a piggy back unit, you are in the same boat (to my knowledge) and the ECU must be bench flashed. We have taken the steps to bench flash the 992 ECU (safer alternative than a piggy back) as early as possible and are working on our OBD tool flash which should be ready in the first or second quarter of next year. Once our OBD flash is available, we can provide you with a flash tool so that you can flash the car back to stock file prior to taking it to the dealer (like past FVD OBD flashes).
thanks foe all the explanations. And the moment that obd option is available, please sign me up!!
Old 12-15-2020 | 01:52 PM
Rhonda@FVD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
FVD is legit, one of the few aftermarket companies I trust for Porsche.

Bought many items from them before for my 991 GT3, shop with confidence.
Thank you.

thanks foe all the explanations. And the moment that obd option is available, please sign me up!!
You are most welcome and will do.
Old 12-16-2020 | 03:55 PM
BMS
Former Vendor

Interesting. Looked at the installation pictures and they are not on a 992. Was hoping to see that if available.

has anyone used this before??
Email me and I can send you instructions on how to install. Also 15% off to all Rennlist members

I should have the write up finished up by the end of this week so it will be posted on our website.

- Payam@burgertuning.com
The following users liked this post:
dgasmd (12-16-2020)
Old 12-18-2020 | 04:21 PM
Rhonda@FVD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Tompoodie
do you have a link, or can you provide the specs here in the form for horsepower and torque increase for the base model?
and do you have your measurements from a dyno for the actual horsepower and torque from the factory?
Danke. Porsche Pferdestaerke sind Geil.
We have completed all the R&D and have released the software for the base model:

FVD Software Upgrade - 992 C2 / C4 - 3.0 L - 460 Hp / 406 Tq - Send In ECU

Old 12-18-2020 | 04:43 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

JB4 provides a plug and play solution that you can install in your own garage. It's easily removable and reportedly is not traceable once removed, so warranty would not be affected.

I recently installed a JB4 on my wife's 2020 C43 and stock 0-60 is advertised at 4.7sec.
Using a Dragy GPS tool after installing and with 93 octane the car sees 3.64 sec. 0-60 and 11.83 sec 1/4 mile.

Maybe not the best or the fastest but the car never left my garage for install and most importantly, I am impressed.

Last edited by NVRANUF; 12-18-2020 at 04:51 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by NVRANUF:
BMS (12-19-2020), dhirm5 (03-31-2021)
Old 12-18-2020 | 06:41 PM
dgasmd
Instructor

Originally Posted by 1Gunner
JB4 provides a plug and play solution that you can install in your own garage. It's easily removable and reportedly is not traceable once removed, so warranty would not be affected.

I recently installed a JB4 on my wife's 2020 C43 and stock 0-60 is advertised at 4.7sec.
Using a Dragy GPS tool after installing and with 93 octane the car sees 3.64 sec. 0-60 and 11.83 sec 1/4 mile.

Maybe not the best or the fastest but the car never left my garage for install and most importantly, I am impressed.
found their site. This is still a “piggy back” unit that gets plugged to sensors and such in the engine. This is not an obd port flash type like the COBB ACCESSPORT. I may have misinterpreted this, but the way you wrote it sounded like an obd port flash
Old 12-18-2020 | 07:39 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

found their site. This is still a “piggy back” unit that gets plugged to sensors and such in the engine. This is not an obd port flash type like the COBB ACCESSPORT. I may have misinterpreted this, but the way you wrote it sounded like an obd port flash
I referred to it as plug and play, easy to install in your own garage. Yes it's a piggy back. Perhaps you inferred my words to read how you wanted them to read.

Yes it requires a bit of mechanical aptitude. It's may not be the fastest, but BANG for the buck and proven performance.... its great value IMO.

Personally, I want my ECU left untouched without any evidence of tampering.
Old 12-27-2020 | 11:25 AM
dgasmd
Instructor

OK, so has anyone here actually done any ecu tune of any kind? Real and personal experience with it?

Also, when the eco is taken out and flashed, if one was to find a local place to do it, is that something that just takes a couple of hrs to do or this would definitely be a "leave it and we will call you in a few days when done" kind of job?
Old 12-27-2020 | 12:16 PM
Rxpert
Rennlist Member

Just chiming in to say it appears the best thing for the OP and some others’ desires on this thread to do is just chill & WAIT. What you want doesn’t exist right now.

Right now there aren’t any ODB flashes/tunes available that can be done on the 992 without having the ECU bench flashed. If you guys want something easy that can be done DIY in your garage or by a local tuning shop, then you gotta wait for someone to come out with a direct ODB flash a la Cobb Accessport.

Otherwise if you’re too impatient to wait the only 2 options available right now are:

1) Piggyback (JB4)
or
2) Send in ECU for bench flash.

Personally if I had to tune right now, I’d just send the ECU in to the pros who do this thing everyday and made the software vs. letting some small local indy tuning shop treat my new Porsche’s ECU like a guinea pig. I’m not sure what the obsession is here about having a local shop do the bench tune. I’d much rather send the ECU directly to the company making the tune. If anything goes wrong there’s no middle man to blame (Local tuner blaming Tuning Company & vice versa).

Last edited by Rxpert; 12-27-2020 at 12:36 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Rxpert:
dgasmd (12-27-2020), NigelPlays (12-27-2020), Tupper (12-27-2020)
Old 12-27-2020 | 12:48 PM
dgasmd
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rxpert
Just chiming in to say it appears the best thing for the OP and some others’ desires on this thread to do is just chill & WAIT. What you want doesn’t exist right now.

Right now there aren’t any ODB flashes/tunes available that can be done on the 992 without having the ECU bench flashed. If you guys want something easy that can be done DIY in your garage or by a local tuning shop, then you gotta wait for someone to come out with a direct ODB flash a la Cobb Accessport.

Otherwise if you’re too impatient to wait the only 2 options available right now are:

1) Piggyback (JB4)
or

Personally if I had to tune right now, I’d just send the ECU in to the pros who do this thing everyday and made the software vs. letting some small local indy tuning shop treat my new Porsche’s ECU like a guinea pig. I’m not sure what the obsession is here about having a local shop do the bench tune. I’d much rather send the ECU directly to the company making the tune. If anything goes wrong there’s no middle man to blame (Local tuner blaming Tuning Company & vice versa).
Points well taken. At least by me anyway.

while I’ve dealt with many “far away” vendors, I have also learnt the value of the semi-local guy that I can go to and pound on the door so to speak. There is a certain live and personal accountability that comes from that old “I know where you live” kind of stuff. If I had the choice of going to a semi local guy/shop that does this and my type/car is something somewhat familiar and the “internet abstract big time company”, then I guess the answer is obvious. To me and most I’d like to think.
Old 12-27-2020 | 02:51 PM
Cheshi143
Pro

Originally Posted by Rxpert

1) Piggyback (JB4)
or

My car was programmed by M-Enginering from the OBD-II port at their facility in Torrance and the DME was never removed from the car.

You can even program the car from home yourself if you want to spend the $$ for Autotuner tool.

The DME is Bosch MG-1 and as far as tuning purposes is concerned, the DME is wide open as encryption has been resolved for quite some time.

Most of the more prominent calibration companies right now are working with their trusted tuning partners to program the calibration on the car remotely, which you cannot fault them for. The tuning industry is competitive-based so they are going to keep their cards as close to the chest as possible.
The following users liked this post:
dgasmd (12-27-2020)
Old 12-27-2020 | 03:01 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cheshi143
My car was programmed by M-Enginering from the OBD-II port at their facility in Torrance and the DME was never removed from the car.

You can even program the car from home yourself if you want to spend the $$ for Autotuner tool.

The DME is Bosch MG-1 and as far as tuning purposes is concerned, the DME is wide open as encryption has been resolved for quite some time.

Most of the more prominent calibration companies right now are working with their trusted tuning partners to program the calibration on the car remotely, which you cannot fault them for. The tuning industry is competitive-based so they are going to keep their cards as close to the chest as possible.
Same here. Initially my tune was bench based, done in September'19 just after I purchased the car. Now they are doing OBD based, no need to directly access the DME.

The car has been to the dealer numerous times. Due to one of the campaigns, the DME was updated. My tune guy re-flashed at no cost, using the new factory program as a base. No issues with warranty or even been asked if the car has a tune. The only time I was questioned about tuning was when the SA that deals with APR asked about the noise the car made (sport cats), more interested on what I had on and how I liked.
Old 12-27-2020 | 03:51 PM
dgasmd
Instructor

Originally Posted by Cheshi143

Ok, so you have me at “I love you too”😂😂😂😂

Can you send me a link or number/name to the place where you dealt with it?? I’d appreciate it very much. Would love to contact them directly and have them answer all my dumb and entry level questions.

thanka again!
Old 12-27-2020 | 05:00 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Ok, so you have me at “I love you too”😂😂😂😂

Can you send me a link or number/name to the place where you dealt with it?? I’d appreciate it very much. Would love to contact them directly and have them answer all my dumb and entry level questions.

thanka again!
True car guy, very smart and hard working:
Alex Roy
info@petuned.com
PE Tuned

Quick Reply: ECU tuning