Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[urgent!] leak from rear right side on my brand new, just delivered 992 c2s

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2020, 09:34 PM
Arun Rao
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts
Default [urgent!] leak from rear right side on my brand new, just delivered 992 c2s

folks - as described in this thread, i took delivery of my c2s last night. the car was purchased on the east coast and delivered to me (sf bay area) yesterday by truck. car's battery was DOA and i had to call porsche roadside assistance to get it jumped and off-loaded from the truck. moments after it was taken off the truck, i noticed a check engine light and non-functional auto-up/down on the windows. my local dealership was nice enough to squeeze me into their schedule just as they were about to close last night. they reset the check engine light and re-programmed the auto-up/down functionality. all seemed well and i took the car on a nice long drive (40 miles) last night. what a great car!

this morning when i started the car, it gave me a "engine oil level low" which was curious given the store that sold the car to me said it had done an oil change before delivering the car to me (car had been sitting on the lot for 1 year - i asked the dealer to change oil before i took delivery of the car). i also saw a "reduced functionality" message on the pcm screen (couldn't take a photo of it unfortunately).

i went to the local o'reilly's auto parts store and purchased 2 quarts of 0w-40 mobil1 oil and put in 1.4 quarts as suggested by the message.

i got back home and then noticed a significant leak - see attached images and videos. any idea what's going on here? it looks terribly serious obviously. needless to say i will have the car flatbedded to the dealership first thing tomorrow morning.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/HhnRXumWFVaobepn8
https://photos.app.goo.gl/QMSBwZaJFiLrFMdT8
https://photos.app.goo.gl/FFPRBfMxQZW81bCy7

thx.

Last edited by Arun Rao; 11-26-2020 at 09:36 PM.

Popular Reply

11-30-2020, 02:31 PM
Arun Rao
Instructor

Originally Posted by Arun Rao

error message when getting the car prepped to be flatbedded to service shop.

also, while off loading the car (I drove it off the tow truck), I noticed an error message that said "left indicator light malfunction" ... it cleared itself within seconds.

I have a laundry list of things for the service shop to look at
update from service department just now:

We have traced the source of the leak to a valve block that allows the engine to warm faster to bring the heater online as soon as possible. We ordered the part and it should arrive tomorrow. The coolant bleeding takes some time because it is done under vacuum, so it looks like it should complete by Wednesday evening.
Old 11-26-2020, 09:43 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,402 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Hopefully just a failed water pump or hose/clamp.
Old 11-26-2020, 09:44 PM
bobblehead
Racer

Received 142 Likes on 105 Posts

Pink fluid leaks may be coolant
The following users liked this post:
gcurnew (11-26-2020)
Old 11-26-2020, 09:52 PM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

Received 1,627 Likes on 782 Posts

Coolant I have used in the past from Porsche-branded containers was pink...so that's my guess what you're seeing leaking.
Old 11-26-2020, 10:52 PM
Brad911
Racer

Received 135 Likes on 83 Posts

Known recall on coolant pump. Don’t drive ... have it flatbed to dealer.
Old 11-26-2020, 11:06 PM
Arun Rao
Instructor

Originally Posted by Brad911
Known recall on coolant pump. Don’t drive ... have it flatbed to dealer.
thanks all . will be flatbedding it tomorrow morning. hopefully it's a known recall.

any chance this is because of damage during transport? the driver of the truck says he did not notice any leaks/puddles after he unloaded the car ... but still strange that the issue would manifest itself only after the car made a 3200 mile cross country trip
Old 11-26-2020, 11:12 PM
Brad911
Racer

Received 135 Likes on 83 Posts

Can’t imagine it’s transport related but anything’s possible with these cars. Let us know once the definitive diagnosis is made. Bummer but ___ happens
Old 11-26-2020, 11:35 PM
Arun Rao
Instructor

Originally Posted by Brad911
Can’t imagine it’s transport related but anything’s possible with these cars. Let us know once the definitive diagnosis is made. Bummer but ___ happens
thanks @Brad911

can you point me to the known recall (link, thread, etc.)?

thx.
Old 11-26-2020, 11:35 PM
lucycan
Rennlist Member

Received 480 Likes on 228 Posts

Assuming its the coolant pump I'd be asking the selling dealer why they didn't perform that recall when it was sitting there for a year.

What about the motor mounts, Bose speaker and other known issues?
The following 2 users liked this post by lucycan:
KLOC (09-24-2023), Russian Mafia (11-27-2020)
Old 11-26-2020, 11:39 PM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,647 Likes on 1,246 Posts

The likelihood of any damage during transport, causing a coolant leak from the engine seems extremely remote, at best.
The following users liked this post:
drcollie (09-25-2023)
Old 11-26-2020, 11:47 PM
Arun Rao
Instructor

Originally Posted by lucycan
Assuming its the coolant pump I'd be asking the selling dealer why they didn't perform that recall when it was sitting there for a year.

What about the motor mounts, Bose speaker and other known issues?
will ask them for sure. I did check using a link provided by someone on rennlister if any recalls wee outstanding and the search said "no" (I will dig up the post after thanksgiving dinner ). the link I was given was a porsche usa link if I recall correctly).

Last edited by Arun Rao; 11-28-2020 at 01:23 PM.
Old 11-27-2020, 12:51 AM
Arun Rao
Instructor

Originally Posted by Arun Rao
will ask them for sure. I did check using a link provided by someone on rennlisr if any recalls wee outstanding and the search said "no" (I will dig up the post after thanksgiving dinner ). the link I was given was a porsche usa link if I recall correctly).
here is the recall check link i used - https://recall.porsche.com/prod/pag/...f/VIN?ReadForm. says "no open recalls" for this vehicle.

for reference, here is a picture i asked an independent porsche shop to take when they did a pre-purchase inspection on the car. the shop blessed the car fwiw.

based on what i am hearing, it appears whatever it is that broke and is causing the leak broke during the 40 miles that i drove last night.

Old 11-27-2020, 03:38 AM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,647 Likes on 1,246 Posts

Don't confuse a "Recall" with a "Technical Service Bulletin". They are two very different things. First, A "Recall" is something that the NHTSA says that a manufacturer MUST correct and MUST provide all sorts of documentation to show that the manufacturer did their very best to correct on every vehicle that might have been affected. These "Recalls" can be found by the VIN on various sites (including NHTSA's web site). Next, a "Technical Service Bulletin" advises that there is a potential problem that has been discovered and for which an approved repair has been determined. While either situation will be something that will be repaired/paid for by the manufacturer a "Technical Service Bulletin" will not typically be searchable on-line like a NHTSA recall. Forums such as this are excellent tools for informing fellow consumers of "Technical Service Bulletins" that may apply to a concern that they are experiencing.

The attached Porsche "Technical Service Bulletin" addresses a known Coolant Pump Leak and how it is to be repaired. You may want to provide a copy to your dealer when the car is delivered to them . . . . just in case . . . .
Attached Images
The following 3 users liked this post by Bluehighways:
drcollie (09-25-2023), dribar (11-27-2020), KLOC (09-24-2023)
Old 11-27-2020, 07:44 AM
Arun Rao
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
Don't confuse a "Recall" with a "Technical Service Bulletin". They are two very different things. First, A "Recall" is something that the NHTSA says that a manufacturer MUST correct and MUST provide all sorts of documentation to show that the manufacturer did their very best to correct on every vehicle that might have been affected. These "Recalls" can be found by the VIN on various sites (including NHTSA's web site). Next, a "Technical Service Bulletin" advises that there is a potential problem that has been discovered and for which an approved repair has been determined. While either situation will be something that will be repaired/paid for by the manufacturer a "Technical Service Bulletin" will not typically be searchable on-line like a NHTSA recall. Forums such as this are excellent tools for informing fellow consumers of "Technical Service Bulletins" that may apply to a concern that they are experiencing.

The attached Porsche "Technical Service Bulletin" addresses a known Coolant Pump Leak and how it is to be repaired. You may want to provide a copy to your dealer when the car is delivered to them . . . . just in case . . . .
thank you @Bluehighways I hope this is the issue and the service department has the necessary parts I'm stock to fix it.

is there a full list o 992s TSBs available somewhere? thx.

Last edited by Arun Rao; 11-28-2020 at 01:25 PM.
Old 11-27-2020, 08:00 AM
Klredwood
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts

Agreed that this looks like a coolant leak, could be just a hose connection. What about the dealer sending you the car low on oil? Not very good service on the part of the dealer. I’d have the local dealer check it over top to bottom. What Bay Area dealer do you plan to use? Some are better than others.

Quick Reply: [urgent!] leak from rear right side on my brand new, just delivered 992 c2s