[urgent!] leak from rear right side on my brand new, just delivered 992 c2s

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2021, 04:38 PM
Motorin Mark
Racer

Received 423 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by craig66
@satk
Had exactly same thing happen to me two days after I got my car (although coolant spill was probably on day 1 - just never noticed it until a day or two after - turned out to be an overfill by the Porsche mechanic prior to PPI and first real drive that took coolant to 200 degrees or so led to over spill. Has not happened since. Also landed up flat bedding it to dealer and lost a whole precious day of Porsche driving !!!!! I did post a thread.

I would not be overly concerned although I hope that the dealers will start paying attention to this issue.
Do you think they overfilled the recovery tank? Where is it located? I'll check mine when it arrives before I leave the dealership just in case.
Old 01-10-2021, 09:23 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 808 Likes on 446 Posts

Had same thing also after getting my car...didn't know what the dried stuff was or really notice (garage floor is a bit dirty) until I saw a few of these posts...but I did recall smelling what i thought was coolant and only when I bought the new aluminum look coolant and oil caps did I notice that my coolant was like at the top of the neck. Suspect and overfill too as I've seen no other evidence of a leak or other issues and had my car in a week ago for swapping out my PSE for an Akrapovic exhaust and they would have hopefully seen an ongoing leak when they removed the bumper and exhaust and heat shield during the retrofig. Believe mine was coolant overfill too during the pre-delivery inspection. Wonder how many others have noticed this/been affected?
Old 01-10-2021, 10:30 PM
BlitzedTT
Racer

Received 156 Likes on 81 Posts

Is the potential overfill something you can check for when collecting a new car? Or does it have to be driven for several miles first?
Old 01-10-2021, 10:35 PM
craig66
Pro

Received 498 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrobc1213
Had same thing also after getting my car...didn't know what the dried stuff was or really notice (garage floor is a bit dirty) until I saw a few of these posts...but I did recall smelling what i thought was coolant and only when I bought the new aluminum look coolant and oil caps did I notice that my coolant was like at the top of the neck. Suspect and overfill too as I've seen no other evidence of a leak or other issues and had my car in a week ago for swapping out my PSE for an Akrapovic exhaust and they would have hopefully seen an ongoing leak when they removed the bumper and exhaust and heat shield during the retrofig. Believe mine was coolant overfill too during the pre-delivery inspection. Wonder how many others have noticed this/been affected?
I am not sure on the mechanics and structure of the system. I had asked on my thread but I am not sure anyone knew - if that is the issue for you then perhaps you can report back to us

Originally Posted by BlitzedTT
Is the potential overfill something you can check for when collecting a new car? Or does it have to be driven for several miles first?
It is although it seems that the system and measurement requires a bobbing indicator that can be in the eye of the beholder. I am not sure it is a major systemic issue as few have reported it - or perhaps they do not realize - If I had gone to work after my first drive I would never have known it was an issue as i would have driven off never to see the puddle. It was only as it was in my garage.

Old 01-12-2021, 06:57 AM
satk
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Got my car back from the dealer yesterday after coolant leak last Saturday (1/9). They pressure tested the system 3 times and could not find any leak or problems. Car sat in shop for Saturday, Sunday and Monday with no leak. Drove the car home last night (about 20 minute drive) with no issues and no leaks. I asked the service department if it could have been due to an overfill but they did not think so. It's a mystery. They did do a couple of software updates for PCM and PDK.
Old 01-12-2021, 08:58 AM
craig66
Pro

Received 498 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by satk
Got my car back from the dealer yesterday after coolant leak last Saturday (1/9). They pressure tested the system 3 times and could not find any leak or problems. Car sat in shop for Saturday, Sunday and Monday with no leak. Drove the car home last night (about 20 minute drive) with no issues and no leaks. I asked the service department if it could have been due to an overfill but they did not think so. It's a mystery. They did do a couple of software updates for PCM and PDK.
I would tend to think it was an overfill. Had the same testing done on mine but the technician actually documented he felt it was on overfill. Was my technician anxious to blame it on something simple or was your technician avoiding suggesting they did not do a great PPI - who knows. Take it on a couple of long spirited drives and if no leakage likely a non issues any longer
Old 09-24-2023, 12:01 PM
PaulJakl
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ‘21 c4s low coolant level message

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
The likelihood of any damage during transport, causing a coolant leak from the engine seems extremely remote, at best.
Saw this message after getting a stage 2 tune (re-map and exhaust). Dealer told me the leak is more prevalent at higher rpm/speeds so I didn’t notice any leaks. Have it scheduled for repair tomorrow/ water pump leak under warranty. Known 991 issues that seem to be carrying on to the 992’s.
Old 09-25-2023, 07:46 AM
rdv
Instructor

Received 197 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
Don't confuse a "Recall" with a "Technical Service Bulletin". They are two very different things. First, A "Recall" is something that the NHTSA says that a manufacturer MUST correct and MUST provide all sorts of documentation to show that the manufacturer did their very best to correct on every vehicle that might have been affected. These "Recalls" can be found by the VIN on various sites (including NHTSA's web site). Next, a "Technical Service Bulletin" advises that there is a potential problem that has been discovered and for which an approved repair has been determined. While either situation will be something that will be repaired/paid for by the manufacturer a "Technical Service Bulletin" will not typically be searchable on-line like a NHTSA recall. Forums such as this are excellent tools for informing fellow consumers of "Technical Service Bulletins" that may apply to a concern that they are experiencing.

The attached Porsche "Technical Service Bulletin" addresses a known Coolant Pump Leak and how it is to be repaired. You may want to provide a copy to your dealer when the car is delivered to them . . . . just in case . . . .
Hmmm, are there any TSBs for model year 2021 Carrera S coupes? The attached TSB only applies to model year 2020.
tThanks,
R

Quick Reply: [urgent!] leak from rear right side on my brand new, just delivered 992 c2s