Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[urgent!] leak from rear right side on my brand new, just delivered 992 c2s

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2020 | 09:19 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I know that a lot of RennList'ers are willing to buy cars from dealers across the country to save a couple of bucks, but stories like this are why I prefer to work with my local dealer. I am sure that the OP will be able to get all of their issues addressed, but there is a something to be said for working with a dealer that believes that they will see you again.
The following 3 users liked this post by detansinn:
jcbeckman (11-27-2020), Mikey K (09-26-2023), stevepow (11-27-2020)
Old 11-27-2020 | 09:28 AM
LexVan
Banned

Arun Rao, you're in CA? You should meet-up with @Crimewave. He's off the hook and a RL legend.
Old 11-27-2020 | 10:13 AM
craig66
Pro

Originally Posted by Arun Rao
thank you @Bluehighways I hope this is the issue and the service department has the necessary parts I'm stock to fix it.

is there a full list o 992f TSBs available somewhere? thx.
Great idea, I am sure it is possible to have a sticky thread that can be used to document recalls and TSB's as we go forward

Arun I would not be too concerned. You still have a quality car and you, as I recall have over two years on your warranty left to uncover any other issues and based on a 40 mile first drive I am sure this car will be driven and not just sit. Also remember that your new servicing dealer is going to be making money off any repairs and so they should always treat you as if you bought the car there.
The following users liked this post:
detansinn (11-27-2020)
Old 11-27-2020 | 12:47 PM
Arun Rao
Instructor

will ask them for sure. I did check using a link provided by someone on rennlisr if any recalls wee outstanding and the search said "no" (I will dig up the post after thanksgiving dinner ). the link I was given was a porsche usa link if I recall correctly).
Originally Posted by detansinn
I know that a lot of RennList'ers are willing to buy cars from dealers across the country to save a couple of bucks, but stories like this are why I prefer to work with my local dealer. I am sure that the OP will be able to get all of their issues addressed, but there is a something to be said for working with a dealer that believes that they will see you again.
lesson learned .... thx @detansinn
detansinn (11-27-2020)
Old 11-27-2020 | 12:48 PM
Arun Rao
Instructor

Originally Posted by craig66
Great idea, I am sure it is possible to have a sticky thread that can be used to document recalls and TSB's as we go forward

Arun I would not be too concerned. You still have a quality car and you, as I recall have over two years on your warranty left to uncover any other issues and based on a 40 mile first drive I am sure this car will be driven and not just sit. Also remember that your new servicing dealer is going to be making money off any repairs and so they should always treat you as if you bought the car there.
yes, not concerned about the quality of the car (yet). i have 2 other porsches that have been impeccable - hoping my luck persists with this one (despite the early issues).
Old 11-27-2020 | 12:49 PM
Arun Rao
Instructor

Originally Posted by LexVan
Arun Rao, you're in CA? You should meet-up with @Crimewave. He's off the hook and a RL legend.
yes, in sf bay area. i will reach reach out for sure :-)
Old 11-27-2020 | 12:58 PM
Arun Rao
Instructor

Originally Posted by Klredwood
Agreed that this looks like a coolant leak, could be just a hose connection. What about the dealer sending you the car low on oil? Not very good service on the part of the dealer. I’d have the local dealer check it over top to bottom. What Bay Area dealer do you plan to use? Some are better than others.
i use porsche of stevens creek for my other 2 porsches. they are just a few minutes away from where i live ... they seem ok, but then again, i have had 0 issues with the macan and boxster - so the service department hasn't really been tested. which dealer do you recommend?

i spoke with the sales rep this morning and he assures me the car was fully serviced before it got put on the truck. he sent me the receipt indicating it was done. his explanation for dead battery and low engine oil levels are (all words are his):
1) dead battery - "If the remote key was left inside the 992 continuously during transport it kept the car awake and on "stand by" waiting for ignition to be started. This will drain the battery."
2) oil level light - "Regarding the oil low warning light, if this reading was immediate from when you jump started the 992 and stayed on after you re-started the next day (after having it parked on a level surface) it is an accurate reading. If the light illuminated after you jump started and then went away on subsequent starts, it may be due to the 992 being transported at a nose down or nose up angle thus not allowing all the oil to percolate down to the bottom of the engine.
"

i took this worrisome picture last night - is there an oil leak in addition to a potential coolant leak?

Old 11-27-2020 | 01:03 PM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

is there a full list o 992f TSBs available somewhere? thx.
This is what I was able to find. I can't be sure that it is complete and there are several duplicates. But what is there has been quite helpful to a lot of folks I'm sure.

https://www.carcomplaints.com/Porsch...bs/index.shtml
Old 11-27-2020 | 01:10 PM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Trying for a layman's way of doing this.

Can you catch or place an ounce or so in a cup? If so, add in an equal amount of water and stir. Set this mixture aside for a minute or two. If the mixture stays mixed, it's coolant. If the mixture is separating into two distinct levels, it's oil.

i took this worrisome picture last night - is there an oil leak in addition to a potential coolant leak?

Old 11-27-2020 | 01:31 PM
LexVan
Banned

Have your wife taste it. Sweet, it's coolant. Not sweet, it's oil. When she's done with that, have her make you a turkey sandwich.
The following 2 users liked this post by LexVan:
LC200 (01-03-2021), Tanqueray86 (11-29-2020)
Old 11-27-2020 | 01:46 PM
Arun Rao
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
Trying for a layman's way of doing this.

Can you catch or place an ounce or so in a cup? If so, add in an equal amount of water and stir. Set this mixture aside for a minute or two. If the mixture stays mixed, it's coolant. If the mixture is separating into two distinct levels, it's oil.
well, the unfortunate (fortunate?) thing is that it's done leaking. i suspect everything is out of the car given the rate at which it was leaking yesterday. i should have done this experiment yesterday - very good idea.

Last edited by Arun Rao; 11-27-2020 at 01:52 PM.
Old 11-27-2020 | 01:47 PM
Brad911
Racer

^^^ C'mon, Lex, everyone already knows that!
Old 11-27-2020 | 01:48 PM
Arun Rao
Instructor

Originally Posted by LexVan
Have your wife taste it. Sweet, it's coolant. Not sweet, it's oil. When she's done with that, have her make you a turkey sandwich.

on thin ice already after agonizing about this all thanksgiving day i don't think i am allowed to mention the car until the holidays are over
The following 2 users liked this post by Arun Rao:
atl1glf (11-29-2020), LC200 (01-03-2021)
Old 11-27-2020 | 01:51 PM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Good Grief!
Do NOT put coolant or anything that might be coolant in your mouth!
Coolant can and will destroy your kidneys.
Also if it is coolant, be sure to contain it and then rinse away any residual amounts as thoroughly as possible. Animals (Dogs & Cats) like the smell and are attracted to it.
https://spca.bc.ca/faqs/antifreeze/
rouxeny (11-28-2020)
Old 11-27-2020 | 01:53 PM
Arun Rao
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
Good Grief!
Do NOT put coolant or anything that might be coolant in your mouth!
Coolant can and will destroy your kidneys.
Also if it is coolant, be sure to contain it and then rinse away any residual amounts as thoroughly as possible. Animals (Dogs & Cats) like the smell and are attracted to it.
https://spca.bc.ca/faqs/antifreeze/
thx @Bluehighways ... i am pretty sure @LexVan and @Brad911 are joking

Quick Reply: [urgent!] leak from rear right side on my brand new, just delivered 992 c2s