Sponsored by:

2021 Delivery Date?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2020, 03:24 PM
LifesAnesthesia
Racer

Received 179 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by markchristenson
I think you have summed up, very well, the two basic positions. It's not that a person can't or shouldn't be pissed off with the delays, regardless of the reason. And it's not that a person needs to sit by silently without expressing any negative opinions. However, each of us is different, and ultimately it's a matter of waiting and taking delivery or canceling and moving on. Yes there are other options (e.g., bitch, bitch, bitch, take delivery, and then forever bitch some more about how the car was not delivered "on time") but in general it's kind of a binary option for one's own sanity. Personally I'm less-than-delighted that my car has been 30 minutes away for two months and I can't even get a glimpse of it, but ultimately I will get the car and it will be awesome and I will forever forget that it was delayed. However, if I thought there was a sliver of a chance that I'd always be pissed about the delays to the point that they would negatively impact my enjoyment of the car then I would cancel. Life's too short and it's just a car :-)
You didn't leave him a Twain quote?
Old 11-05-2020, 03:25 PM
speedyj
Rennlist Member

Received 283 Likes on 170 Posts

Omg let’s move on!!!
Old 11-05-2020, 03:44 PM
jrnottarts
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by speedyj
Different perspectives, I think that when ur buying a luxury item, u are supposed to feel amazing thru the entire process. I felt great initially and then over the course of the 5 date changes and the 68 days my car has been stuck at port, it has waned. One can argue: "yah well my x car had been at port for 5 months previously" but at the end of the day its poor service.. and we as consumers just take it. I know many will say "if you don't like it well just cancel". This is a fair point and I am near that point as I literally just feel numb and have no excitement anymore.
Exactly. If not for TYD we would have no idea where cars are sitting, but with TYD we do, so they better be prepared to answer to dissatisfied customers who have seen their cars sitting idle (in some cases only miles away) for months. I would imagine Porsche will scrap TYD in short order, but they can't be surprised by backlash when we can see behind the curtain.
Old 11-05-2020, 03:46 PM
markchristenson
Three Wheelin'

Received 640 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
Since I haven’t been allocated yet, and have expressed no urgency for my delivery....my frustration level is low right now. But that may change as I get into next Spring, and I’m still waiting.

As an aside - When I first put down my deposit back in late June 2020, I made the mistake of mentioning to neighbors and work associates that I was getting a 992: “I Should have the car sometime in Sept or October”, I said. Periodically, those same people have come up to me to ask, “how do you like your new Porsche”, or “I expect it will be in soon”, etc. The longer this drags on, I’m beginning to sense that some don’t believe that I actually ordered a Porsche?

I guess you have to experience this, first hand, to understand what many/some have gone through?
You put down a deposit but do not have an allocation?
Old 11-05-2020, 04:28 PM
CodyBigdog
On temporary vacation

Received 2,231 Likes on 1,264 Posts

You put down a deposit but do not have an allocation?

Correct. One poster suggested that I may have gotten bumped, and perhaps, more than once, because someone was in line after me who was willing to pay full price? Don’t know? I negotiated a 6% discount. Only in the last few weeks have I been pinging my sales guy (who I like). For the most part, I’ve been hands off..if it comes in the Spring, I’m cool with that....last thing I said to him on Monday, “I’m a patient guy, but I don’t have infinite patience”. I think he got my message, or at least I hope he did?

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 11-05-2020 at 04:35 PM.
Old 11-05-2020, 04:34 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 217 Posts

I think you have summed up, very well, the two basic positions. It's not that a person can't or shouldn't be pissed off with the delays, regardless of the reason. And it's not that a person needs to sit by silently without expressing any negative opinions. However, each of us is different, and ultimately it's a matter of waiting and taking delivery or canceling and moving on. Yes there are other options (e.g., bitch, bitch, bitch, take delivery, and then forever bitch some more about how the car was not delivered "on time") but in general it's kind of a binary option for one's own sanity. Personally I'm less-than-delighted that my car has been 30 minutes away for two months and I can't even get a glimpse of it, but ultimately I will get the car and it will be awesome and I will forever forget that it was delayed. However, if I thought there was a sliver of a chance that I'd always be pissed about the delays to the point that they would negatively impact my enjoyment of the car then I would cancel. Life's too short and it's just a car :-)
Another great summary, and probably better explains my perspective than I have. I didn't mean to suggest that anyone is "wrong" for being upset at Porsche, your dealer, the EPA or all three with this situation. I would be frustrated too if I had already expected my car to be here, only to end up sitting around with no answers and no timeline.

To your point, Mark, I tried 3 different times to order a GT350 or Raptor when they first came up and ended up so frustrated with the process at Ford for handing out allocations that I cancelled all three because I knew that it would always leave a bad taste in my mouth and sour my enjoyment of the car. That's not to say it is the same for anyone/everyone.

So I apologize if anyone took my comments to mean I thought you were unjustified in being frustrated at the current situation. I'm right here with you cheering the release of your cars so I can see all the new pictures and hear all of your first hand impressions. I've got ~30 days to lock my order, so I'm depending on all your feedback to make those last minute decision.

The following users liked this post:
markchristenson (11-05-2020)
Old 11-05-2020, 04:41 PM
CodyBigdog
On temporary vacation

RE: “if I thought there was a sliver of a chance that I'd always be pissed about the delays to the point that they would negatively impact my enjoyment of the car then I would cancel.”

Mark - Since I’m not there yet, I have a question.....At what point can you “cancel” and still get all, our most of your money back? I assume that once the car is being built, to your specific specs, you are on the hook for $$ should you cancel? Is that not correct? I guess what I’m asking - what does the payment plan look like? Once allocated and locked in to a build, I assume Porsche will want a greater % of the cost of the car, paid at that time, with the final balance coming due once you actually take possession?

Since my dealer only has a very small deposit from me, at this point, I could walk away tomorrow and not worry if I ever got a dime back. But say I had put up another 50% of the cost, say, when I “lock in”, and then down the road I got jerked around waiting for many months, I would be surprised if I would get much back if I walked.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 11-05-2020 at 04:51 PM.
Old 11-05-2020, 05:01 PM
slc4s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,268 Likes on 640 Posts

I'm just anxious to see what cars hit dealer inventories once the blockage clears... starting to think about ordering but would love to see if anything close to what I want comes in to inventory. I think I've looked at every 992S and C4S on autotrader.
Old 11-05-2020, 05:24 PM
LifesAnesthesia
Racer

Received 179 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by gravedgr
Another great summary, and probably better explains my perspective than I have. I didn't mean to suggest that anyone is "wrong" for being upset at Porsche, your dealer, the EPA or all three with this situation. I would be frustrated too if I had already expected my car to be here, only to end up sitting around with no answers and no timeline.

To your point, Mark, I tried 3 different times to order a GT350 or Raptor when they first came up and ended up so frustrated with the process at Ford for handing out allocations that I cancelled all three because I knew that it would always leave a bad taste in my mouth and sour my enjoyment of the car. That's not to say it is the same for anyone/everyone.

So I apologize if anyone took my comments to mean I thought you were unjustified in being frustrated at the current situation. I'm right here with you cheering the release of your cars so I can see all the new pictures and hear all of your first hand impressions. I've got ~30 days to lock my order, so I'm depending on all your feedback to make those last minute decision.

Hey, I'm not trying to argue again, and I'm with you cheering on everyone taking delivery. But you don't even have your order locked in yet?! Wow dude. Wow.
Old 11-05-2020, 05:43 PM
markchristenson
Three Wheelin'

Received 640 Likes on 392 Posts

RE: “if I thought there was a sliver of a chance that I'd always be pissed about the delays to the point that they would negatively impact my enjoyment of the car then I would cancel.”

Mark - Since I’m not there yet, I have a question.....At what point can you “cancel” and still get all, our most of your money back? I assume that once the car is being built, to your specific specs, you are on the hook for $$ should you cancel? Is that not correct? I guess what I’m asking - what does the payment plan look like? Once allocated and locked in to a build, I assume Porsche will want a greater % of the cost of the car, paid at that time, with the final balance coming due once you actually take possession?

Since my dealer only has a very small deposit from me, at this point, I could walk away tomorrow and not worry if I ever got a dime back. But say I had put up another 50% of the cost, say, when I “lock in”, and then down the road I got jerked around waiting for many months, I would be surprised if I would get much back if I walked.
I put down a deposit when I had an allocation and placed an order that was accepted into Porsche's system. Prior to that moment I negotiated a price (let's leave it at that to protect the innocent).

In other words, there was no bumping me because somebody negotiated a different price, etc. Said another way, from my perspective unless you have an order in the system with Porsche, any gripes should be aimed solely at your dealership/SA :-)

As for the deposit, because I live in California I can go to the dealership when it arrives, decide I don't like it, I don't them, I'm having a bad day, etc., and get my entire deposit back, despite the fact I heavily customized an expensive (over $170K) build.

But when it comes to the delays, I am frustrated it didn't happen already (I thought that by election days I'd have almost two months of seat time), but it's a temporary frustration that, even now, has waned and will totally disappear whenever the car arrives. Your alls mileage might vary, and I get that. I also know, having been in both camps (being pissed off and letting things ruin an experience for me when I was younger vs. letting things go as I get older) that I much prefer not letting what is ultimately an insignificant occurrence ruin my day, week, month, ownership experience, etc. And my advice to others to do the same has nothing to do with Porsche fanboy-ism, and only to do with my experiences on each side of the fence :-)

Last edited by markchristenson; 11-05-2020 at 05:45 PM.
Old 11-05-2020, 05:53 PM
CodyBigdog
On temporary vacation

I put down a deposit when I had an allocation and placed an order that was accepted into Porsche's system. Prior to that moment I negotiated a price (let's leave it at that to protect the innocent).

In other words, there was no bumping me because somebody negotiated a different price, etc. Said another way, from my perspective unless you have an order in the system with Porsche, any gripes should be aimed solely at your dealership/SA :-)

As for the deposit, because I live in California I can go to the dealership when it arrives, decide I don't like it, I don't them, I'm having a bad day, etc., and get my entire deposit back, despite the fact I heavily customized an expensive (over $170K) build.

But when it comes to the delays, I am frustrated it didn't happen already (I thought that by election days I'd have almost two months of seat time), but it's a temporary frustration that, even now, has waned and will totally disappear whenever the car arrives. Your alls mileage might vary, and I get that. I also know, having been in both camps (being pissed off and letting things ruin an experience for me when I was younger vs. letting things go as I get older) that I much prefer not letting what is ultimately an insignificant occurrence ruin my day, week, month, ownership experience, etc. And my advice to others to do the same has nothing to do with Porsche fanboy-ism, and only to do with my experiences on each side of the fence :-)

Who, or what “I aim my criticism” at (when I actually have some), is really none of your concern. As I stated, I have no allocation yet, but ready to pay cash on a $160K+ car.....just surprised nobody at my dealership is interested in my money, that’s all? Life is good. Who knows, maybe I’ll opt for a 992 Turbo S? My next discussion with my SA will be...if he can get an allocation for that, sooner, then sign me up?

As for the possibility of getting bumped...as I said, it was something another poster suggested? I have no proof, and neither do you, one way or another on MY experience.

If you say so? Maybe you have done a lot of business with your dealership, and they value your long term business? Don’t know, and don’t care? But, rest assured, now armed with your information, whenever I am asked by my dealership to put down a sizable deposit, I will be sure to ask them whether or not I can get a full refund should I have a bad day on the market. If so, Hell of a way to run a business. If they give me any grief, I’ll be sure to mention your name. Of course, I will also be sure, before handing over some more cash, to get that in writing.

As an aside, I own property in Coronado. I was just out there in July (avoiding the “June gloom”, if you know the saying)....
Maybe the next time in town, I can stop by and see all the extras you got on your 992? In fact, if I don’t get an allocation before my next visit, maybe you can set me up with your dealership?

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 11-05-2020 at 06:19 PM.
Old 11-05-2020, 06:12 PM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,659 Likes on 1,251 Posts

If you say so? Maybe you have done a lot of business with your dealership, and they value your long term business? Don’t know, and don’t care? But, rest assured, whenever I am asked by my dealership to put down a sizable deposit, I will be sure to ask them whether or not I can get a full refund should I decide I’ve had a bad day on the market. If they give me any grief, I’ll mention your name. Of course, I will also be sure to get that in writing.
The requirement that California dealers are required to refund your deposit for any reason is a good thing IMHO. I don't know how many folks that put in an order for a Porsche know that unless or until you have a confirmation number and a screen print to confirm it that you actually have a car that has been ordered and that will be built. I had several dealers, who did not have an allocation, tell me that they did and ask me for a deposit. It was only then that they "discovered" that they in fact didn't have an allocation, or it had mysteriously just disappeared. So in my case, with no confirmation number and no screen print to back it up I asked for and received my deposit back. This allowed me to continue shopping until I found a dealer that could and did order my car. Were it not for this law, I could still be waiting for a dealer I'd given a deposit to actually order my car. The dealer could very well "collect" customer orders and then fill them in a sequence that best suited their profit. From some of the stories I've seen here on this forum, it does seem as though more than one or two folks are probably being played by their dealers.
Old 11-05-2020, 06:25 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

I think a couple of folks have responded, but ultimately the laws regarding your deposit and ability to get it back are determined by state law. Your dealer should require nothing but the deposit up until the time of purchase/delivery.
Old 11-05-2020, 06:29 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LifesAnesthesia
Hey, I'm not trying to argue again, and I'm with you cheering on everyone taking delivery. But you don't even have your order locked in yet?! Wow dude. Wow.
I'm not sure the point you're making (I've got a couple of threads talking about buying my car), but no - I visited the dealer two weeks ago and told them I was interested in another 911, got a call last Friday that they'd moved me to the "front of the list" (dealerspeak, I'm sure) and had an allocation for me, and got my commission information Monday. December lock & March delivery, barring any PTS decisions or other delays. This will be custom order number 15 or so in the past 20 years.
Old 11-05-2020, 06:39 PM
CodyBigdog
On temporary vacation

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
The requirement that California dealers are required to refund your deposit for any reason is a good thing IMHO. I don't know how many folks that put in an order for a Porsche know that unless or until you have a confirmation number and a screen print to confirm it that you actually have a car that has been ordered and that will be built. I had several dealers, who did not have an allocation, tell me that they did and ask me for a deposit. It was only then that they "discovered" that they in fact didn't have an allocation, or it had mysteriously just disappeared. So in my case, with no confirmation number and no screen print to back it up I asked for and received my deposit back. This allowed me to continue shopping until I found a dealer that could and did order my car. Were it not for this law, I could still be waiting for a dealer I'd given a deposit to actually order my car. The dealer could very well "collect" customer orders and then fill them in a sequence that best suited their profit. From some of the stories I've seen here on this forum, it does seem as though more than one or two folks are probably being played by their dealers.
So, if I understand correctly, in California, if you order a new car, and load it up with $50k of extras....and painted in vomit green, or some other hideous color....and the car is being built, or sitting at the port, or has arrived at the dealership...the customer, at any time, can say, nah, I had a bad day on the market, you keep the car, and give me back 100% of what I already paid? Really? Pretty cool for the consumer!! I looked on line at Ca law and almost everything I saw involved either new cars already in the lot, or used cars.

I did read on a blog site (for what that’s worth) that some guy bought a new Audi (whatever) and wanted his full deposit back (good choice, I might add), and the dealership told him that not until the car was sold at the price in his contract. The guy was in Ca/. True? Fake? No idea?

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 11-05-2020 at 06:46 PM.

Quick Reply: 2021 Delivery Date?