Sponsored by:

SPORTPLUS better than SPORT even in manual shifting

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2020, 11:08 AM
coolhandshin
Instructor

Received 84 Likes on 33 Posts
Default SPORTPLUS better than SPORT even in manual shifting

When shifting in manual mode, I thought there is no difference between SPORTPLUS and SPORT, except for that fun popcorn sound with SPORT mode.
Two modes are both 'sports', and so naturally they should put out the best of what the car can offer, and be identical except for the gear logic or which rpm to shift on auto mode.
And therefore when shifting manually, there shouldn't be any difference.

However, that was wrong. Recently trying SPORTPLUS mode more extensively while paddle shifting myself, it seems SPORTPLUS has more crisp acceleration pedal response and slightly less turbo lag.
It's not day and night difference, but it definitely makes the car a little more fun and agile, and has in fact given me much more satisfaction.

I always thought the car was a little bit laggy in SPORT mode and thought that's a little strange for 911, but switching to SPORTPLUS, my impression of the general car has really improved!

For those who always use the paddles, definitely try this out.
The response improvement with SPORTPLUS is worth giving up the fun pop-corn exhaust!
The following 2 users liked this post by coolhandshin:
G650 (08-27-2020), Todd C (08-27-2020)
Old 08-26-2020, 12:56 PM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

Received 1,627 Likes on 782 Posts

Originally Posted by coolhandshin
When shifting in manual mode, I thought there is no difference between SPORTPLUS and SPORT, except for that fun popcorn sound with SPORT mode.
Two modes are both 'sports', and so naturally they should put out the best of what the car can offer, and be identical except for the gear logic or which rpm to shift on auto mode.
And therefore when shifting manually, there shouldn't be any difference.

However, that was wrong. Recently trying SPORTPLUS mode more extensively while paddle shifting myself, it seems SPORTPLUS has more crisp acceleration pedal response and slightly less turbo lag.
It's not day and night difference, but it definitely makes the car a little more fun and agile, and has in fact given me much more satisfaction.

I always thought the car was a little bit laggy in SPORT mode and thought that's a little strange for 911, but switching to SPORTPLUS, my impression of the general car has really improved!

For those who always use the paddles, definitely try this out.
The response improvement with SPORTPLUS is worth giving up the fun pop-corn exhaust!
I always use manual shifting, and go back and forth between Sport+ when "driving" the car (around 65 percent of the time) and Normal when in traffic or cruising on the highway. The ridiculous, manufactured over-run "popping" In Sport is so objectionable to me I never use that mode. I know it would be easy to turn it off with an aftermarket tune, but I'll ask the dealer Service Manager if it's something they might be able and willing to do with PIWIS
The following 2 users liked this post by gcurnew:
JesseRohr (08-26-2020), KLOC (03-03-2023)
Old 08-26-2020, 02:08 PM
JesseRohr
Rennlist Member

Received 324 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by gcurnew
I always use manual shifting, and go back and forth between Sport+ when "driving" the car (around 65 percent of the time) and Normal when in traffic or cruising on the highway. The ridiculous, manufactured over-run "popping" In Sport is so objectionable to me I never use that mode. I know it would be easy to turn it off with an aftermarket tune, but I'll ask the dealer Service Manager if it's something they might be able and willing to do with PIWIS
Precisely the same here!
The following users liked this post:
KLOC (03-03-2023)
Old 08-26-2020, 03:23 PM
not4one
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 38 Posts

The Sport exhaust sound is so obnoxious. I programmed my Individual setting to be Sport, but with normal exhaust sound. Never used Sport plus ‘cause I always assumed it would just take me to new levels of obnoxiousness...guess I was wrong.
KLOC (03-03-2023)
Old 08-26-2020, 03:46 PM
DaveGee
Rennlist Member

Received 476 Likes on 267 Posts

It’s worth noting that every step up; Auto, Sport, Sport+, reduces the intervention of the traction management nannies - at least that’s the case on the 991’s. So the more aggressive you’re driving assuming Sport+ as an example, the less help from the cars computers to keep you out of trouble. A little counter-intuitive, right? I haven’t seen this mentioned in any of the 992 threads. Anyone know if it’s still the case with the 992’s?

DaveGee
Old 08-26-2020, 04:19 PM
992gtsilver
Advanced

Received 52 Likes on 14 Posts

so does sport plus take traction off?

i have been using "sport" but as mentioned it does feel laggy.

Old 08-26-2020, 04:50 PM
DaveGee
Rennlist Member

Received 476 Likes on 267 Posts

At least on the 991.2, it’s never off, just different levels of intervention based on which mode you’re in. Not sure about 992.

DaveGee
Old 08-26-2020, 08:24 PM
rumnyc
Instructor

Received 154 Likes on 73 Posts

Many YouTube reviews have indicated sport has the loudest exhaust and sport plus is all business and sounds much tamer. This is one of the reasons reason a lot of early reviewers complained about the 992’s sound because they get the car and go straight to sports+ not even bothering with sport mode and the reason other reviewers (using sport mode) said the 992 sounds fine.

personally i only test drove a car without pse in sport mode (not plus) and found the car loud enough that i didn’t order pse. I also like the look of quad exhaust much more...
Old 08-26-2020, 08:31 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,366 Likes on 745 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGee
At least on the 991.2, it’s never off, just different levels of intervention based on which mode you’re in. Not sure about 992.

DaveGee
Not quite. The 991.1 in sport + had the PSM in sport (some slide allowed). PSM is on or off.

The 991.2 and 992 activate the PSM sport separate from the sport + dial at the PSM button (short press). With the sport or sport+, the traction control is fully engaged until the PSM button is changed. The latter has 3 settings, on, sport, off.

From good to know app:

PSM Activating Sport

Vehicles with Sport Chrono package
In sport PSM mode, the system operates in a particularly sporty mode.

WARNING
Restricted PSM support

In PSM Sport mode, the support provided by PSM is restricted in critical driving situations outside the ABS control range.

Always leave PSM Sport switched off during "normal" driving operation.
Press button briefly.
The PSM OFF warning light on the instrument cluster lights up. The button lights up red.
A message stating that PSM Sport is activated appears on the instrument cluster.
Attached Images  

Last edited by John Mclane; 08-26-2020 at 08:36 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by John Mclane:
AlexCeres (09-19-2020), dashanin (09-13-2020), drgav2005 (09-12-2020), jfr0317 (08-28-2020), smjr (09-12-2020), Todd C (08-27-2020) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-26-2020, 08:35 PM
darkknight26
Racer

Received 186 Likes on 71 Posts

There is a real difference between sport and sport +. I find the gear changes are slightly quicker and it definitely feels a bit faster. I mostly drive manual. Try accelerating to 7k rpm before gear changes and you'll note the difference!
Old 08-26-2020, 08:54 PM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

Received 3,378 Likes on 1,479 Posts

Sport+ holds onto the gears longer as well. So if going S+, I always go manual.
AlexCeres (09-19-2020)
Old 08-26-2020, 09:11 PM
markchristenson
Three Wheelin'

Received 640 Likes on 392 Posts

Is it just me, or is it counter-intuitive that Sport would be louder and have the “backfire” turned on but Sport+ does not? Although maybe, as I sit here and type, they’re making the point that the backfire is really not the ultimate performance mode and it’s more a mid-level, poseur thing :-)
G650 (08-27-2020)
Old 08-27-2020, 12:12 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,539 Likes on 5,063 Posts

Originally Posted by markchristenson
Is it just me, or is it counter-intuitive that Sport would be louder and have the “backfire” turned on but Sport+ does not? Although maybe, as I sit here and type, they’re making the point that the backfire is really not the ultimate performance mode and it’s more a mid-level, poseur thing :-)
No, b/c Sport+ is maximized for track use, and all that backfiring and farting retards maximize performance of the car, which is what you want on track or a HPDE.
The following 2 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
detansinn (09-20-2020), KLOC (03-03-2023)
Old 08-27-2020, 03:47 AM
AKSteve
Banned

Received 815 Likes on 456 Posts

I would use Sport+ in Manual mode a lot more if there was a old-style PDK shifter or something similar to it. Maybe something a bit smaller. I always liked the little shifter **** from my E46 M3 with SMG transmission:

Old 08-27-2020, 05:41 PM
NigelPlays
Racer

Received 227 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by John Mclane
Not quite. The 991.1 in sport + had the PSM in sport (some slide allowed). PSM is on or off.

The 991.2 and 992 activate the PSM sport separate from the sport + dial at the PSM button (short press). With the sport or sport+, the traction control is fully engaged until the PSM button is changed. The latter has 3 settings, on, sport, off.

From good to know app:

PSM Activating Sport

Vehicles with Sport Chrono package
In sport PSM mode, the system operates in a particularly sporty mode.

WARNING
Restricted PSM support

In PSM Sport mode, the support provided by PSM is restricted in critical driving situations outside the ABS control range.

Always leave PSM Sport switched off during "normal" driving operation.
Press button briefly.
The PSM OFF warning light on the instrument cluster lights up. The button lights up red.
A message stating that PSM Sport is activated appears on the instrument cluster.
what changes are made in “lighting systems”?

Quick Reply: SPORTPLUS better than SPORT even in manual shifting