Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SPORTPLUS better than SPORT even in manual shifting

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2020, 06:05 PM
G650
Racer

Received 242 Likes on 101 Posts

Sport changes to Lightning systems refer to the PSLS+ and Matrix systems where the steering function of the headlights and the auto high beams function more aggressively.
The following 3 users liked this post by G650:
jfr0317 (08-28-2020), KLOC (03-03-2023), NigelPlays (08-27-2020)
Old 08-27-2020, 09:25 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,541 Likes on 5,064 Posts

Originally Posted by AKSteve
I would use Sport+ in Manual mode a lot more if there was a old-style PDK shifter or something similar to it. Maybe something a bit smaller. I always liked the little shifter **** from my E46 M3 with SMG transmission:

Why not just the paddles?

In my 3+ years owning the 991 GT3, I don’t believe I ever shifted with the Porsche *****, er, ahem, the PDK shifter.
The following users liked this post:
smiles11 (08-27-2020)
Old 08-27-2020, 10:11 PM
AKSteve
Banned

Received 815 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Why not just the paddles?

In my 3+ years owning the 991 GT3, I don’t believe I ever shifted with the Porsche *****, er, ahem, the PDK shifter.
I can't get used to using the paddles. And from using a manual transmission for years, it just feels intuitive to reach down to grab a shift **** of some sort to change gears. I could see using the paddles on a race track maybe. But in everyday driving on the street, I find myself only using them here and there once in a while. The PDK does a great job on its own when I want to drive fast. And if I want to downshift, I've learned how to blip the throttle just right to get the transmission to do that without ever having to use the paddles. I just honestly feel like the car is missing something by not having a console mounted shifter in the spot where one has always been.
Old 08-27-2020, 10:50 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AKSteve
I can't get used to using the paddles. And from using a manual transmission for years, it just feels intuitive to reach down to grab a shift **** of some sort to change gears. I could see using the paddles on a race track maybe. But in everyday driving on the street, I find myself only using them here and there once in a while. The PDK does a great job on its own when I want to drive fast. And if I want to downshift, I've learned how to blip the throttle just right to get the transmission to do that without ever having to use the paddles. I just honestly feel like the car is missing something by not having a console mounted shifter in the spot where one has always been.
An actual console mounted shifter for dual-clutch automated manuals are like Dodo birds.

Ferrari, McLaren, Aston, Mercedes, etc all have done away with them. Porsche is like a relic from a long long time ago.

I’m surprised the 992 even had a console shifter. Would’ve been cleaner and easier without one.
The following 3 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
detansinn (09-20-2020), not4one (08-28-2020), smiles11 (08-27-2020)
Old 08-27-2020, 11:29 PM
AKSteve
Banned

An actual console mounted shifter for dual-clutch automated manuals are like Dodo birds.

Ferrari, McLaren, Aston, Mercedes, etc all have done away with them. Porsche is like a relic from a long long time ago.

I’m surprised the 992 even had a console shifter. Would’ve been cleaner and easier without one.
The 2018 BMW M4 Competition I traded in for my 992 4S had one. My feeling is that that's where the shifter goes and if Porsche is going to put any kind of transmission control there, they may as put a fully functional one that can shift from gear to gear rather than the Braun shifter nubbin.

Old 08-27-2020, 11:44 PM
AKSteve
Banned

EDIT: I cannot edit my posts, so I am just posting the whole thing again because I forgot one word.

The 2018 BMW M4 Competition I traded in for my 992 4S had one. My feeling is that that's where the shifter goes and if Porsche is going to put any kind of transmission control there, they may as well put a fully functional one that can shift from gear to gear rather than the Braun shifter nubbin.

Old 08-28-2020, 02:32 AM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,842 Likes on 1,494 Posts

I firmly believe the only reason the PDK shifter is on the console is because of the manual transmission. If they didn’t have to accommodate a manual shifter it’d be on the dash like the Taycan.

But I’m with Steve, if it’s there make it functional.
AKSteve (08-28-2020)
Old 08-28-2020, 04:53 AM
Phillip Berk
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by not4one
The Sport exhaust sound is so obnoxious. I programmed my Individual setting to be Sport, but with normal exhaust sound. Never used Sport plus ‘cause I always assumed it would just take me to new levels of obnoxiousness...guess I was wrong.
Not trying be to rude in anyway, I'm just curious how you are calling the Sport exhaust on the 992 obnoxious, maybe I'm just used to louder cars like my F-type or various M and AMG cars but I've heard and driven both 992 with and without PSE and with PSE even in open it doesn't really seem loud at all to me, def a lot quieter then the N/A models. what cars are you used that makes the 992 sound "obnoxious" I've noticed a lot of aversion to louder cars on rennlist and I agree to an extent. Straight piped 5.0s and then you have normal cars that are made to be stupid loud, that I don't like, but it's a porsche, its a sports car. its nice to have a little more noise then everyday cars and have some emotion in the exhaust.
Ozy190 (09-14-2020)
Old 08-28-2020, 02:00 PM
coolhandshin
Instructor

Received 84 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Phillip Berk
Not trying be to rude in anyway, I'm just curious how you are calling the Sport exhaust on the 992 obnoxious, maybe I'm just used to louder cars like my F-type or various M and AMG cars but I've heard and driven both 992 with and without PSE and with PSE even in open it doesn't really seem loud at all to me, def a lot quieter then the N/A models. what cars are you used that makes the 992 sound "obnoxious" I've noticed a lot of aversion to louder cars on rennlist and I agree to an extent. Straight piped 5.0s and then you have normal cars that are made to be stupid loud, that I don't like, but it's a porsche, its a sports car. its nice to have a little more noise then everyday cars and have some emotion in the exhaust.
I think he's referring to the somewhat intentional pops and bubbles, rather than the general volume and tone of the lovely engine intake noise and the sports exhaust.

The bubbles do seem a little bit... fake and deliberate and a bit.. pretentious, but maybe not to the extent of being obnoxious.

In fact I enjoy it from time to time and yeah, I like to be noticed sometimes

Old 08-28-2020, 02:01 PM
ant922599
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 57 Posts

Not wanting or needing to answer for someone else, but FWIW I agree with the exhaust sound in Sport being slightly tragic.

It's not the volume, it's the pops/guffs (alternative British word for farts!) at even very low speed. It's what you hear from a 4-pot turbo Audi or AMG as it cruises through town on and off the gas.

If it could turned-off at the dealer I'd certainly do that.

You dont get any of that in Sports +
Old 08-28-2020, 02:09 PM
coolhandshin
Instructor

Received 84 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by John Mclane
Not quite. The 991.1 in sport + had the PSM in sport (some slide allowed). PSM is on or off.

The 991.2 and 992 activate the PSM sport separate from the sport + dial at the PSM button (short press). With the sport or sport+, the traction control is fully engaged until the PSM button is changed. The latter has 3 settings, on, sport, off.

From good to know app:

PSM Activating Sport

Vehicles with Sport Chrono package
In sport PSM mode, the system operates in a particularly sporty mode.

WARNING
Restricted PSM support

In PSM Sport mode, the support provided by PSM is restricted in critical driving situations outside the ABS control range.

Always leave PSM Sport switched off during "normal" driving operation.
Press button briefly.
The PSM OFF warning light on the instrument cluster lights up. The button lights up red.
A message stating that PSM Sport is activated appears on the instrument cluster.

I think that table pretty much sums up my point:

SPORT PLUS does not simple change the shifting time in AUTO mode but even in MANUAL mode makes difference by:
-Drive response to PERFORMANCE
-PDK to PERFORMANCE
-PTM/PTV/PASM to PERFORMANCE
Effectively making it more responsive and agile than in SPORT mode.

Now I almost always drive in SPORTPLUS mode and after getting used to the characteristics of that mode, I feel the car seems much much more alert and responsive and almost feel like it's transformed into a new car.
That question mark why is this new 911 a bit laggy has cleared out of my mind!
Old 08-28-2020, 02:10 PM
ant922599
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 57 Posts

@John Mclane That's a really helpful and interesting document - thanks v much 👍
Old 08-28-2020, 02:12 PM
doug992
Racer

Received 209 Likes on 126 Posts

Throttle response is better in Sport
Old 08-28-2020, 02:21 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

There's a difference between engine sound, like real natural engine (cue the 991 GT3) and manufactured burbles and pops (cue the "car farting" memes). The former is what the 992 is like in SPORT. The latter is what the 992 is like SPORT+ and what the Jag F-Type and many of the new BMW M models have fallen prey to.

I'm not making judgments about one or the other, but I think that's the Maginot line that we're talking about here.
Old 08-28-2020, 02:26 PM
AKSteve
Banned

Originally Posted by doug992
Throttle response is better in Sport
It's different, but not necessarily better. The throttle response in Sport Plus is linear and oriented for track driving whereas the throttle response in Sport is programmed to be a bit more aggressive for street driving.

Quick Reply: SPORTPLUS better than SPORT even in manual shifting