Sponsored by:

SPORTPLUS better than SPORT even in manual shifting

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2020, 04:37 PM
not4one
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Phillip Berk
Not trying be to rude in anyway, I'm just curious how you are calling the Sport exhaust on the 992 obnoxious, maybe I'm just used to louder cars like my F-type or various M and AMG cars but I've heard and driven both 992 with and without PSE and with PSE even in open it doesn't really seem loud at all to me, def a lot quieter then the N/A models. what cars are you used that makes the 992 sound "obnoxious" I've noticed a lot of aversion to louder cars on rennlist and I agree to an extent. Straight piped 5.0s and then you have normal cars that are made to be stupid loud, that I don't like, but it's a porsche, its a sports car. its nice to have a little more noise then everyday cars and have some emotion in the exhaust.
I just don’t like it calling attention to itself, particularly when there’s no functional benefit. The whole idea that the max performance mode (sport plus) is quieter than Sport says it all to me...that sport is poser-ish, which somehow feels below what a real sports car should deliver. I mean I could accept it in a Chevy, but a Porsche...no. Don’t get my wrong, no harm in some burble, but faux screaming “look at me” just ain’t what Dr. Porsche had in mind! Well, that’s my opinion of one.

That said, I have had a number of S63 AMG’s, and pre 2015 (before the adjustable exhaust) I would have the dealer swap out the exhaust (at a ridiculous cost) for the S550 unit, just to quiet it down...it still had a pleasant burble, but wasn’t asking for attention. So, maybe it’s just a me thing.
The following users liked this post:
gcurnew (08-28-2020)
Old 08-28-2020, 05:24 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,842 Likes on 1,494 Posts

Originally Posted by not4one
I just don’t like it calling attention to itself, particularly when there’s no functional benefit. The whole idea that the max performance mode (sport plus) is quieter than Sport says it all to me...that sport is poser-ish, which somehow feels below what a real sports car should deliver. I mean I could accept it in a Chevy, but a Porsche...no. Don’t get my wrong, no harm in some burble, but faux screaming “look at me” just ain’t what Dr. Porsche had in mind! Well, that’s my opinion of one.

That said, I have had a number of S63 AMG’s, and pre 2015 (before the adjustable exhaust) I would have the dealer swap out the exhaust (at a ridiculous cost) for the S550 unit, just to quiet it down...it still had a pleasant burble, but wasn’t asking for attention. So, maybe it’s just a me thing.
It’s not just you, this is exactly why I didn’t put a sports exhaust on my car. As in, the farts and burps. After having it a few weeks two things are apparent; I wouldn’t mind a bit more volume at times (but without the farts and burps), and even without sports exhaust the car seems to still do the overrun thing to some extent in Sports mode; its just very suppressed. Now maybe that last part I’m wrong on but it sure sounds like it.
Old 08-28-2020, 07:19 PM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

Received 1,627 Likes on 782 Posts

Originally Posted by aggie57
It’s not just you, this is exactly why I didn’t put a sports exhaust on my car. As in, the farts and burps. After having it a few weeks two things are apparent; I wouldn’t mind a bit more volume at times (but without the farts and burps), and even without sports exhaust the car seems to still do the overrun thing to some extent in Sports mode; its just very suppressed. Now maybe that last part I’m wrong on but it sure sounds like it.
It farts in Sport mode with the non-PSE exhaust as that's how it's programmed...it's just subdued. With PSE on in Sports mode it's WAY more noticeable.
aggie57 (08-28-2020)
Old 08-28-2020, 07:25 PM
kpblade
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 71 Posts

Maybe a stupid question, will an aftermarket exhaust still have the "burps/farts" when replacing either a PSE or non-PSE?
Old 08-28-2020, 08:14 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,842 Likes on 1,494 Posts

Originally Posted by gcurnew
It farts in Sport mode with the non-PSE exhaust as that's how it's programmed...it's just subdued. With PSE on in Sports mode it's WAY more noticeable.
Thanks, I'm not hearing things
Old 08-28-2020, 08:25 PM
Marantz2270
Pro

Received 292 Likes on 151 Posts

I always use manual shifting, and go back and forth between Sport+ when "driving" the car (around 65 percent of the time) and Normal when in traffic or cruising on the highway. The ridiculous, manufactured over-run "popping" In Sport is so objectionable to me I never use that mode. I know it would be easy to turn it off with an aftermarket tune, but I'll ask the dealer Service Manager if it's something they might be able and willing to do with PIWIS
I’d be interested in an aftermarket tune to remove the over-run pops in Sport. What is involved in such a tune, and would the tune jeopardize the warranty?
Old 08-28-2020, 08:32 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Originally Posted by AKSteve
I would use Sport+ in Manual mode a lot more if there was a old-style PDK shifter or something similar to it. Maybe something a bit smaller. I always liked the little shifter **** from my E46 M3 with SMG transmission:

Yes, how lovely that would look! Porsche - pay attention.
AKSteve (08-28-2020)
Old 08-28-2020, 09:18 PM
AKSteve
Banned

Received 815 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
Yes, how lovely that would look! Porsche - pay attention.
Thank you! BMW nailed it with that design and everything since has been a step backwards. For decades, there was one style of manual transmission and it worked for every make and model of cars. And this should've become the standard for clutchless shifters. It's industrial, minimalist and basically perfect. And quite German, too.
Old 08-29-2020, 09:26 AM
gatorfast
Pro

Received 456 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by kpblade
Maybe a stupid question, will an aftermarket exhaust still have the "burps/farts" when replacing either a PSE or non-PSE?
Yes. The burbles are created by the engine tune and not the exhaust. But of course the louder the exhaust the louder the pops/bangs.
Old 08-29-2020, 11:54 AM
porsche07
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Has anyone felt a noticeable difference in the traction control intervention between sport and sport+? The PSM light doesn't come on so it must still intervene more than putting it in "PSM Sport"?
Old 08-29-2020, 12:01 PM
doug992
Racer

Received 209 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by AKSteve
I can't get used to using the paddles. And from using a manual transmission for years, it just feels intuitive to reach down to grab a shift **** of some sort to change gears. I could see using the paddles on a race track maybe. But in everyday driving on the street, I find myself only using them here and there once in a while. The PDK does a great job on its own when I want to drive fast. And if I want to downshift, I've learned how to blip the throttle just right to get the transmission to do that without ever having to use the paddles. I just honestly feel like the car is missing something by not having a console mounted shifter in the spot where one has always been.
oh i thought it was just me.. i recently installed paddle shifters on my pickup truck and it feels so weird using it coming from a MT
Old 08-29-2020, 12:01 PM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

Received 1,627 Likes on 782 Posts

Originally Posted by Marantz2270
I’d be interested in an aftermarket tune to remove the over-run pops in Sport. What is involved in such a tune, and would the tune jeopardize the warranty?
I talked with aftermarket tuners about removing the over-run pops/crackles/farts on a previously owned AMG, and they said it was pretty simple (never had it done as I didn't plan on keeping the car). Presumably, it would also be simple on the 992, but it would put you in a grey area with warranty. If it's as easy as flipping a register from PIWIS the dealer might be open to doing it...I'll ask my Service Manager next week.
Marantz2270 (08-29-2020)
Old 09-12-2020, 11:14 AM
Brad911
Racer

Received 135 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by not4one
The Sport exhaust sound is so obnoxious. I programmed my Individual setting to be Sport, but with normal exhaust sound. Never used Sport plus ‘cause I always assumed it would just take me to new levels of obnoxiousness...guess I was wrong.
OMG, how old are you guys? Coming from SC V8’s, I find the 911S PSE very tame / sublime in all settings!

Old 09-12-2020, 11:57 AM
Marantz2270
Pro

Received 292 Likes on 151 Posts

I talked with aftermarket tuners about removing the over-run pops/crackles/farts on a previously owned AMG, and they said it was pretty simple (never had it done as I didn't plan on keeping the car). Presumably, it would also be simple on the 992, but it would put you in a grey area with warranty. If it's as easy as flipping a register from PIWIS the dealer might be open to doing it...I'll ask my Service Manager next week.
@gcurnew Did you have an opportunity to talk to your service manager about tuning out the overrun in Sport Mode?
Old 09-12-2020, 12:22 PM
not4one
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Brad911
OMG, how old are you guys? Coming from SC V8’s, I find the 911S PSE very tame / sublime in all settings!
Over 17
aggie57 (09-12-2020)

Quick Reply: SPORTPLUS better than SPORT even in manual shifting