Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SPORTPLUS better than SPORT even in manual shifting

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2020, 12:53 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,478 Likes on 2,816 Posts

The burbles aren't as bad as it could be. You guys should drive a modern BMW M-car. Ridiculous.

The farts are perfectly synchronized to throttle lift. The timing, the pattern, the volume and the duration. It's mechanical and unbelievably fake. The car actually sounds broken because of it - like there is a weird exhaust rattle. Nevermind the vroom-vroom noises from the stereo.

The irony is I love it when car exhausts naturally pop and bang. It doesn't happen super often, it's not totally predictable and it's a fun little bonus. Of course, hardly (if any) modern cars do that anymore. They all seem to be fake.

When the scourge of OPF takes over, they'll be doing even more fakery to make up for the crappy sound.
The following 2 users liked this post by rk-d:
doug992 (09-18-2020), smiles11 (09-12-2020)
Old 09-12-2020, 01:12 PM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

Received 1,631 Likes on 784 Posts

Originally Posted by Marantz2270
@gcurnew Did you have an opportunity to talk to your service manager about tuning out the overrun in Sport Mode?
Sorry, no not yet. Work got in the way lol. I need to pop into the dealer on Tuesday and will speak to him then.
Old 09-12-2020, 01:21 PM
Marantz2270
Pro

Received 292 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by gcurnew
Sorry, no not yet. Work got in the way lol. I need to pop into the dealer on Tuesday and will speak to him then.
Not a worry! I just remembered and thought I'd ask. Thanks for being willing to check on it for us interested folks.
Old 09-12-2020, 03:15 PM
TheStanman
Racer

Received 184 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d
The burbles aren't as bad as it could be. You guys should drive a modern BMW M-car. Ridiculous.

The farts are perfectly synchronized to throttle lift. The timing, the pattern, the volume and the duration. It's mechanical and unbelievably fake. The car actually sounds broken because of it - like there is a weird exhaust rattle. Nevermind the vroom-vroom noises from the stereo.

The irony is I love it when car exhausts naturally pop and bang. It doesn't happen super often, it's not totally predictable and it's a fun little bonus. Of course, hardly (if any) modern cars do that anymore. They all seem to be fake.

When the scourge of OPF takes over, they'll be doing even more fakery to make up for the crappy sound.
Totally agree. I really enjoy it when it's natural, but that's rare these days.
Old 09-18-2020, 05:52 PM
SZ992
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by aggie57
It’s not just you, this is exactly why I didn’t put a sports exhaust on my car. As in, the farts and burps. After having it a few weeks two things are apparent; I wouldn’t mind a bit more volume at times (but without the farts and burps), and even without sports exhaust the car seems to still do the overrun thing to some extent in Sports mode; its just very suppressed. Now maybe that last part I’m wrong on but it sure sounds like it.
Yeah I mean not everyone is going to like the burble in sport mode, but its really not THAT loud...granted I live in LA where you drive around and have straight piped Mclaren's and Ferrari's racing past you with gunshot sounds coming out of the back...you'd think you were in a warzone.

Personally, I think the burble is enough to grab some attention, but in no way is it really overbearing. Again, I've had some cars whiz past me that were so loud my ears would be ringing for the next hour. Now THAT'S obnoxious.
Old 09-18-2020, 05:55 PM
SZ992
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d

In regards to your first sentence: yeah or drive a Jaguar F Type R. I don't know how that car was approved for production LOL

Quick Reply: SPORTPLUS better than SPORT even in manual shifting