Sponsored by:

Homelink AUGH!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2020, 01:44 AM
mikey94025
Rennlist Member

Received 317 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by nuporsche
Any thoughts on using one of the configurator buttons on your steering wheel or the dash? Or how about a good old fashion garage door opener. they make some sleek ones now.
The problem with a good old fashion garage door opener is you lose the security protections of Homelink (which is inoperable without car power). If someone breaks into your car parked in your driveway or street, then then have open access to your garage.

While we complain here about the 992 Homelink not appearing automatically, it is still reliable and takes a few extra clicks. Not good and it should be better, but it is dependable. I have one of my Home screen tiles set to Homelink. I can always press Home, tap the tile, configure, the press Send (I only have the one homelink profile so it shows up in the Configure screen).

I experimented yesterday with adding a second GPS configuration, a little before my house. I want to see if the GPS automatic-appear works better. I also noticed in the manual (page 117) it says:
Vehicle is aligned towards the receiver and within range of the receiver (signal is transmitted in direction of travel)
So last weekend I tried programming the GPS location for my configuration when my car is parked in the street, not in my driveway (perpendicular to the street). However, it didn't seem to make any difference or improve the reliability of the Homelink GPS popup as I drove toward my house. I still had to click a few times.
Old 08-25-2020, 09:12 AM
michael818
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by nuporsche
Any thoughts on using one of the configurator buttons on your steering wheel or the dash? Or how about a good old fashion garage door opener. they make some sleek ones now.
I use the diamond button on the steering wheel for Homelink. The only annoying aspect is that when you back out of the garage you have to shut the camera before the button makes Homelink appear. The GPS screen pops on when I start the car in the garage but disappears when the back up camera comes on after the car is put into reverse. When arriving home, the GPS may or may not appear, it is intermittent. I believe that Apple carPlay may have something to do with it, perhaps blocking the interface when it is active,

Last edited by michael818; 08-25-2020 at 09:18 AM.
Old 08-25-2020, 09:40 AM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,842 Likes on 1,494 Posts

One thing not mentioned much in relation to Homelink is how long the PCM itself takes to boot up; I haven't timed it but if it was much less than a minute I'd be surprised. Plus the car menu seems to be pretty much the last area to load, meaning until that completes the short-cut buttons are inoperable. I've got into the habit of opening the garage door from the wall controller as I enter our garage but even then if you get into the car, start it, and then back out immediately you still have to wait. Whereas in our Mercedes the mirror buttons work as soon as there is power in the car.

In my car the GPS position thing works sometimes, more often than not I need to press the button to bring homelink up. Overall it's a poor design and one I'm sure they will address maybe in 992.2.
The following 2 users liked this post by aggie57:
Metalblond (09-02-2020), Schwarz992C4S (08-25-2020)
Old 08-25-2020, 07:21 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,299 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by ryanlsmith
Okay, I just found a very interesting workaround...at least it works in iOS 14 Beta 4 (I could have sworn this was prevented before, so there is a chance it will be "fixed" in the public release). If I make an automation such as "When the dining room lights turn on, open the garage door", I can say "Hey Siri, turn on the dining room lights", and it will open the door without unlocking. I may write a quick Homebridge plugin to simulate a fake switch that I can use to control this...hopefully Apple doesn't change the behavior.
I used to live in a house whose garage door faced the street. I got tired of punching numbers into the keypad every time I wanted to open the door, so I rigged up an Arduino to a relay and a diode detector and mounted it on the inside wall of the garage, just behind the keypad. Now I could unlock my car and open the garage door simply by holding the fob next to the keypad when pressing the unlock button.

If I had done the smart thing and filed for a patent ("System and Method for Ridiculously Overcomplicating Something That Worked Fine Before") I could sue both you and Porsche for infringement.
The following users liked this post:
Schwarz992C4S (08-25-2020)
Old 09-02-2020, 12:01 PM
brake920
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just buy a tailwind garage door add on has gps tracking door closes when you pull out 250 feet from garage when coming home opens 750 ft from door
The following users liked this post:
aggie57 (09-02-2020)

Quick Reply: Homelink AUGH!