Sponsored by:

Homelink AUGH!

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2020, 08:32 PM
ryanlsmith
Racer

Received 261 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
Day 2, car is finally home, and started the process of Homelink programming. The community gate programmed and worked. The garage door looks like it is programmed, but it doesn’t work. Deleted it out, tried again, notifies it’s programmed, doesn’t work.

I know that somebody has a trick to the rolling numbers and searching the threads. I saw it somewhere....
This slightly rings a bell - I had spoken with Chamberlain and, if I recall correctly, the trick was something to do with going through setup twice. As you said, it claims to be programmed but it’s really not - I think you’re supposed to just say “yes it worked”, and then finish the process, but then go back and edit/re-send.
Old 08-08-2020, 09:29 PM
Drizz
Racer

Received 221 Likes on 97 Posts

Day 2, car is finally home, and started the process of Homelink programming. The community gate programmed and worked. The garage door looks like it is programmed, but it doesn’t work. Deleted it out, tried again, notifies it’s programmed, doesn’t work.

I know that somebody has a trick to the rolling numbers and searching the threads. I saw it somewhere....
i found the solution on here and it worked perfectly. Go through the programming and when it asks you if it worked just say yes. After you do this go into the garage and press the LEARN button, run back to your car and then press the homelink “button” on your screen a few times like you’re using it to open the garage. I did that and the lights on my garage blinked, and it worked ever since.
The following 5 users liked this post by Drizz:
inastrangeland (11-24-2020), jfr0317 (08-09-2020), Metalblond (08-09-2020), smiles11 (08-08-2020), Todd C (08-08-2020)
Old 08-08-2020, 10:51 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Originally Posted by Drizz
i found the solution on here and it worked perfectly. Go through the programming and when it asks you if it worked just say yes. After you do this go into the garage and press the LEARN button, run back to your car and then press the homelink “button” on your screen a few times like you’re using it to open the garage. I did that and the lights on my garage blinked, and it worked ever since.
Thanks much, will try that tomorrow. Sigh.
Old 08-08-2020, 11:10 PM
Todd C
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 70 Posts

Dan - I just did mine tonight, and it was exactas Drizz said. Might need a stepladder and to open a panel on your garage door opener to find the learn button.
Old 08-09-2020, 12:06 AM
Schwarz992C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 264 Likes on 116 Posts

I’m just fed up with all the software BS that Porsche has yet to address. And I paid extra money for crap that doesn’t work? I’ll give em a few more months then offer them the car back for being a lemon. Just plain fed up after spending this much on software BS.

Rant is done now...
Old 08-09-2020, 09:00 AM
Master Deep
Rennlist Member

Received 769 Likes on 434 Posts

Try this

The following users liked this post:
stevepow (11-16-2020)
Old 08-09-2020, 09:18 AM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Todd C
Dan - I just did mine tonight, and it was exactas Drizz said. Might need a stepladder and to open a panel on your garage door opener to find the learn button.
Thanks Todd, will give it a go. Where are your photos?
Old 08-09-2020, 09:19 AM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Master Deep
Thanks again. And thanks to all of the early adopters who were frustrated by this and worked it out for us.
Old 08-09-2020, 09:27 AM
michael818
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 149 Posts

After spending about an hour trying to get Homelink to work, I finally found an instructional video on YouTube which laid out the process, which included using the learn button on the garage remote. The process is much easier with two people but doable with one person.

That being said, the GPS seemed wonky to me and I ended up programming the little diamond button on the steering wheel to be the Homelink button. That works perfectly and I'm okay with having a button again.
Old 08-09-2020, 09:50 AM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by michael818
After spending about an hour trying to get Homelink to work, I finally found an instructional video on YouTube which laid out the process, which included using the learn button on the garage remote. The process is much easier with two people but doable with one person.

That being said, the GPS seemed wonky to me and I ended up programming the little diamond button on the steering wheel to be the Homelink button. That works perfectly and I'm okay with having a button again.
Thanks for that, yes, for now, I have the steering wheel button activated for that. What I don’t like is having to take my eyes off the road when I need to push the button. We have a long drive to the gatehouse and I am used to reaching up to the mirror to press the button. I could keep the button depressed as I drive up to the gate and it would open. Now, I get one shot at the gate opening. If it doesn’t open, I have to press it again. So the new procedure is to run up to the gate, stop, press steering wheel button, press Homelink button on PCM. I do hope they can retrofit a Homelink mirror, but I may just Velcro an opener on the left side of the dash. #porschewhatwereyouthinking?

The garage door I don’t care as much but it is the same deal - long drive. Once I get it programmed, it will be the same procedure as above.

So my SA said this “new and improved” Homelink was for our super wealthy colleagues that have homes with up to 8 garages. I then asked him how many garages did he think one car parked in at the eight garage home. He then said they could have multiple homes. So okay, maybe a condo in the city, Maybe a home outside of the city, and a vacation home. Homes 4,5,7,8 are likely not within driving distance. Or maybe somebody lives in a gated community, that’s 2, plus 1 to open a garage door at work. Three is the magic number.

So, this eight place Homelink in my estimation is an effort to wring more bucks out of our pockets. They replaced the mirror with software.

Last edited by Dan Nagy; 08-09-2020 at 10:56 AM.
Old 08-09-2020, 10:08 AM
Richard_Wallace
Rennlist Member

Received 1,673 Likes on 749 Posts

Originally Posted by Master Deep
There is an easier way, but this way works as well. Alternate way is when it says Synchronize you can press that option and then hit your hand held remote a few times to allow for recognition of the rolling codes. That is the new homelink software does, allows for you not getting on the ladder to press the sync button. But if all else fails, the learn button solution does work as well.

Also you do not have to be in park to active it once programmed (as you all probably know).

I have the same homelink version in a few cars, all worked well and little issues. But all my garage door openers are fairly new (2013 or newer). Some of the older ones may cause more issues.
The following users liked this post:
Master Deep (08-10-2020)
Old 08-09-2020, 10:09 AM
Metalblond
Pro

Received 463 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by michael818

My Homelink sucks. I'm following the directions and instructions and it doesn't work properly. I'm going to go on YouTube and see if they have a solution--thanks for the suggestion!
Old 08-09-2020, 04:33 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Metalblond
My Homelink sucks. I'm following the directions and instructions and it doesn't work properly. I'm going to go on YouTube and see if they have a solution--thanks for the suggestion!
Mine will not work. I will have a new garage door opener ordered tomorrow with MyQ, connect it to Apple HomeKit, so I can just hit the steering wheel control and say “Hey Siri, open the garage door”. This is total nonsense from Porsche, but after doing some research today, found out it is VW thing. They are probably the ones forcing this crap down the line, IMO. I have spent hours today digging out instructions and trying to get this done every which way, then changed the tack to the work-around from Porsche/VW poor engineering. Now it’s all cloudy here again so not taking the car out today. Thanks Porsche.

Old 08-09-2020, 04:50 PM
markchristenson
Three Wheelin'

Received 640 Likes on 392 Posts

Thanks for that, yes, for now, I have the steering wheel button activated for that. What I don’t like is having to take my eyes off the road when I need to push the button. We have a long drive to the gatehouse and I am used to reaching up to the mirror to press the button. I could keep the button depressed as I drive up to the gate and it would open. Now, I get one shot at the gate opening. If it doesn’t open, I have to press it again. So the new procedure is to run up to the gate, stop, press steering wheel button, press Homelink button on PCM. I do hope they can retrofit a Homelink mirror, but I may just Velcro an opener on the left side of the dash. #porschewhatwereyouthinking?

The garage door I don’t care as much but it is the same deal - long drive. Once I get it programmed, it will be the same procedure as above.

So my SA said this “new and improved” Homelink was for our super wealthy colleagues that have homes with up to 8 garages. I then asked him how many garages did he think one car parked in at the eight garage home. He then said they could have multiple homes. So okay, maybe a condo in the city, Maybe a home outside of the city, and a vacation home. Homes 4,5,7,8 are likely not within driving distance. Or maybe somebody lives in a gated community, that’s 2, plus 1 to open a garage door at work. Three is the magic number.

So, this eight place Homelink in my estimation is an effort to wring more bucks out of our pockets. They replaced the mirror with software.
I love saying "Hey Siri" and opening my garage door when I'm about 200 yards from home. Although I did break it when I changed my home network to isolate IOT devices and haven't yet figured out how to fix it (kind of a known issue with Ubiquiti wifi) but can at least use the MyQ app to accomplish the same thing.
Old 08-09-2020, 05:05 PM
bleveillee
7th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

For Liftmaster owners,
try using the learn button on the the push button station and not the operator when programming.
For some reason , I was using the learn button on the operator without success, than I used the button on the the control
station and it worked.

learn button on upper left

Quick Reply: Homelink AUGH!