Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Homelink AUGH!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2020, 08:37 AM
doug992
Racer

Received 209 Likes on 126 Posts

Homelink will pop up where you set it when the GPS connected. I set mine right outside my garage door, i also have a shortcut button for homelink. I made the mistake of setting the homelink for my second house after i started going down the road.. came back another day it popped up near the house then disappeared infront of the garage. I then went back into the settings and reset the GPS to be infront of the garage ... been perfect at both locations since
Old 06-09-2020, 09:03 AM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,117 Posts

I am certain that I saw a Homelink mirror option on the 2021 configurator, but now it’s not there. Hmm.
Old 06-09-2020, 10:16 AM
diononiz
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

The problem occurs for me when I back out of my garage. It takes while for the Carplay app to load so I am left waiting in the driveway. If I am in reverse, I have to stop, put the car in Park, wait for the carplay to load then put it back in reverse then drive away. Unfortunately, I have put the an old garage door opener in the glove box and find myself using it more than the homelink.
Old 06-09-2020, 10:34 AM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 144 Posts

I've played around somewhat with the UK configurator. There, Homelink is an option and if you click on the i/information icon, there's a description of Homelink under a picture of the rearview mirror. I don't know whether that picture is just a legacy thing that just wasn't updated for the 992 configurator, or whether there are still physical buttons under the mirror for the UK and other markets. Maybe one of our members across the pond can comment?
Old 06-09-2020, 10:45 AM
doug992
Racer

Received 209 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by diononiz
The problem occurs for me when I back out of my garage. It takes while for the Carplay app to load so I am left waiting in the driveway. If I am in reverse, I have to stop, put the car in Park, wait for the carplay to load then put it back in reverse then drive away. Unfortunately, I have put the an old garage door opener in the glove box and find myself using it more than the homelink.
mine does this too.. i don't mind so much because i start her up.. release the emergency brake and let her warm up in the drive way.. so by the time carplay connects and the homelink is available the car is still warming up
Old 06-09-2020, 11:51 AM
markchristenson
Three Wheelin'

Received 640 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by rangerfan94
Sometimes an analog solution to a digital problem is the path of least resistance, because let's face it, you just want to easily open and close your garage door. I had a Mini cab that did not have a HomeLink system, and I bought a very inexpensive, and very small, spare garage opener. I used some velcro to attached it to the side of the center console, and then I moved it under the dash. Double sided tape and lightly chewed gum should also work. You couldn't see it, it never got in the way, and it was easy to use when needed. Do the same thing with your 992. This might not work for your brand of opener, but as you can see, they are small, and cheap.

https://www.amazon.com/Pack-Replacem...%2C140&sr=8-11
That’s what I have done in my Mini. Although I also have MyQ and can use the Apple HomeKit integration on my phone, but it still requires me to wake up the screen, swipe, click, and click again. But if I do it when I’m a block away then the door is open as I’m pulling in the driveway :-)
The following users liked this post:
JCWLS3 (06-09-2020)
Old 06-09-2020, 12:41 PM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

Received 3,378 Likes on 1,479 Posts

Like others, I grew tired of having to put the car in park after reversing out of the garage. So now I just use the MyQ garage app. I just tap a button on my phone to open and close.
Schwarz992C4S (08-09-2020)
Old 06-09-2020, 01:01 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,366 Likes on 745 Posts

Originally Posted by markchristenson
That’s what I have done in my Mini. Although I also have MyQ and can use the Apple HomeKit integration on my phone, but it still requires me to wake up the screen, swipe, click, and click again. But if I do it when I’m a block away then the door is open as I’m pulling in the driveway :-)
I use the same, a block from my home I tell Siri (push steering wheel button) to open the garage door.
You can work around the delay on having homelink available as the PCM boots by waking up the car a bit earlier. Either PCM connect or even opening the doors with the remote will do it. One minute before getting in the car suffices. This way when I'm backing up CarPlay is also running and I can tell Siri to close the garage door.
Old 06-09-2020, 10:11 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Received 367 Likes on 176 Posts

Interesting on both counts. We've noticed that the Homelink transmitter on our C2S either isn't as strong as that in our Cayenne Turbo, or is pointed in a funky direction. We have an angled drive, and the car rarely activates the garage door properly when facing directly toward it. We sort of have to side-eye the 911 to get it to work, and even then, it's spotty at best.

We stopped banging out heads against the proverbial steering wheel and left a standalone transmitter in the car. You know, the kind that costs $10, works flawlessly every time from every angle, and doesn't require us to do the fake-button dance. FYI, Homelink in the 9Y0 includes ACTUAL, REAL BUTTONS next to the sunroof control in the headrest. Imagine that. It's like the 911 team lost all contact with the Cayenne folks, and chose not to find out where they went. Terrible, terrible Homelink execution.

But hey, if that's the worst of the complaints so far, we'll be happy campers.
Schwarz992C4S (08-09-2020)
Old 06-10-2020, 05:01 PM
markchristenson
Three Wheelin'

Received 640 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by JCWLS3
Interesting on both counts. We've noticed that the Homelink transmitter on our C2S either isn't as strong as that in our Cayenne Turbo, or is pointed in a funky direction. We have an angled drive, and the car rarely activates the garage door properly when facing directly toward it. We sort of have to side-eye the 911 to get it to work, and even then, it's spotty at best.

We stopped banging out heads against the proverbial steering wheel and left a standalone transmitter in the car. You know, the kind that costs $10, works flawlessly every time from every angle, and doesn't require us to do the fake-button dance. FYI, Homelink in the 9Y0 includes ACTUAL, REAL BUTTONS next to the sunroof control in the headrest. Imagine that. It's like the 911 team lost all contact with the Cayenne folks, and chose not to find out where they went. Terrible, terrible Homelink execution.

But hey, if that's the worst of the complaints so far, we'll be happy campers.
I'm sure in the overall scheme of building a car like a 911, Homelink implementation is not the group with the biggest budget. However, it's odd that something used so frequently by so many people would be such a disaster, and it really would not take that much budget to do it right.
Old 06-10-2020, 05:20 PM
HouTexCarreraS
Pro

Received 406 Likes on 230 Posts

I'm sure in the overall scheme of building a car like a 911, Homelink implementation is not the group with the biggest budget. However, it's odd that something used so frequently by so many people would be such a disaster, and it really would not take that much budget to do it right.
Three buttons on the bottom of the rear view mirror have been used by everyone forever--Porsche just figured they could save a nickel by integrating it into the PCM for programming cost only--very unwise decision and I'm surprised that they haven't reversed this on the 2021 model (I thought there was some buzz that they were going to offer it as an option--maybe it's just going to be standard now?). They must not read these forums.
Old 06-10-2020, 07:31 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Everyone would rather reach up and push a button. Everyone. This is a case of software engineers running amuck and Porsche failing to dial it back. But I think the solution above to just ask Siri to open your gate or garage door is a good one. I am curious how much time on average a 992 owner spends learning and setting up this software.
JCWLS3 (06-14-2020)
Old 06-10-2020, 09:10 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,366 Likes on 745 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
Everyone would rather reach up and push a button. Everyone. This is a case of software engineers running amuck and Porsche failing to dial it back. But I think the solution above to just ask Siri to open your gate or garage door is a good one. I am curious how much time on average a 992 owner spends learning and setting up this software.
The homelink was super easy, barely an inconvenience.
The garage-Siri combo using MyQ wasn't difficult at all.

I considered for a short time 3D print a button and pluck it in by the empty space by the light switch. Some motorcycle garage door openers are quite small and would fit -
Old 08-08-2020, 07:13 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Day 2, car is finally home, and started the process of Homelink programming. The community gate programmed and worked. The garage door looks like it is programmed, but it doesn’t work. Deleted it out, tried again, notifies it’s programmed, doesn’t work.

I know that somebody has a trick to the rolling numbers and searching the threads. I saw it somewhere....
Old 08-08-2020, 08:26 PM
ryanlsmith
Racer

Received 261 Likes on 131 Posts

I have MyQ as well, and hooked up with HomeKit - and generally it works well (Apple GPS implementation is leaps and bounds ahead), but I will say that in running the iOS 14 beta I have encountered CarPlay reporting the door is open when it’s not. It wouldn’t be a huge deal except it seems to prevent me from actually opening the door.

Also, I don’t think Siri lets you open via a shortcut - or at least I couldn’t. So falling back to that isn’t really an option either.

Quick Reply: Homelink AUGH!