Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Homelink AUGH!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2020, 06:00 PM
russbert
Burning Brakes

Received 733 Likes on 346 Posts

I basically followed the video instructions (did the learn button first) but I did eventually get it to work properly after about 3 tries. I will and set the other two doors tomorrow.
Old 08-10-2020, 08:57 AM
doug992
Racer

Received 209 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by bleveillee
For Liftmaster owners,
try using the learn button on the the push button station and not the operator when programming.
For some reason , I was using the learn button on the operator without success, than I used the button on the the control
station and it worked.

learn button on upper left
yes i have this one as well .. you have to use the learn button on the opener .. which is a lot more convenient
Old 08-10-2020, 09:00 AM
doug992
Racer

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
Mine will not work. I will have a new garage door opener ordered tomorrow with MyQ, connect it to Apple HomeKit, so I can just hit the steering wheel control and say “Hey Siri, open the garage door”. This is total nonsense from Porsche, but after doing some research today, found out it is VW thing. They are probably the ones forcing this crap down the line, IMO. I have spent hours today digging out instructions and trying to get this done every which way, then changed the tack to the work-around from Porsche/VW poor engineering. Now it’s all cloudy here again so not taking the car out today. Thanks Porsche.
I have a lift master with myQ it works .. i didn't watch that video.. but the video i watched it had to be done in 2 places .. one with the garage door opener in your hand.. then go back in and hit the learn button on the door opener and do it there
Old 08-10-2020, 08:26 PM
russbert
Burning Brakes

Received 733 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by russbert
I basically followed the video instructions (did the learn button first) but I did eventually get it to work properly after about 3 tries. I will and set the other two doors tomorrow.
I basically followed what the video said and hit the LEARN button last, and while it still took a couple of tries (sending the signal) it worked quite easily on the other two doors.
Old 08-10-2020, 08:36 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Originally Posted by doug992
I have a lift master with myQ it works .. i didn't watch that video.. but the video i watched it had to be done in 2 places .. one with the garage door opener in your hand.. then go back in and hit the learn button on the door opener and do it there
Thanks. I ordered a new door opening unit. I am done with this Porsche Homelink nonsense for my garage door. I just want to say “hey Siri...” and bypass all that. However, the gate code is successfully programmed and so I’ll use that, otherwise I’ll have to clip a controller to my visor. I refuse to do that.
Old 08-10-2020, 08:51 PM
Metalblond
Pro

Received 463 Likes on 254 Posts

Thanks. I ordered a new door opening unit. I am done with this Porsche Homelink nonsense for my garage door. I just want to say “hey Siri...” and bypass all that. However, the gate code is successfully programmed and so I’ll use that, otherwise I’ll have to clip a controller to my visor. I refuse to do that.
Dan, I am with you. This Porsche Homelink stinks and doesn't work for me no matter how many times I try to program it. Do you think this is Porsche's revenge for all the TYD emails and phone calls we gave them??? ;-)
What new door opening unit did you get?
Old 08-10-2020, 09:01 PM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

Received 3,378 Likes on 1,479 Posts

I love the implementation of homelink.

The following 2 users liked this post by smiles11:
aggie57 (08-10-2020), doug992 (08-11-2020)
Old 08-10-2020, 10:43 PM
ryanlsmith
Racer

Received 261 Likes on 131 Posts

Not sure of a way around this, but if I try opening the garage through Siri while the phone is locked (which it would be if I'm driving and it's connected to CarPlay), Siri will require unlocking before opening.
Old 08-10-2020, 10:59 PM
ryanlsmith
Racer

Okay, I just found a very interesting workaround...at least it works in iOS 14 Beta 4 (I could have sworn this was prevented before, so there is a chance it will be "fixed" in the public release). If I make an automation such as "When the dining room lights turn on, open the garage door", I can say "Hey Siri, turn on the dining room lights", and it will open the door without unlocking.

I may write a quick Homebridge plugin to simulate a fake switch that I can use to control this...hopefully Apple doesn't change the behavior.
The following users liked this post:
markchristenson (08-11-2020)
Old 08-11-2020, 08:12 AM
doug992
Racer

I also programmed this for my motorcycle .. its another option as well

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004OVU66O/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004OVU66O/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
The following users liked this post:
Metalblond (08-11-2020)
Old 08-11-2020, 08:38 AM
Metalblond
Pro

Received 463 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by doug992
I also programmed this for my motorcycle .. its another option as well

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Thanks!
Old 08-11-2020, 08:39 AM
doug992
Racer

Originally Posted by Metalblond
Thanks!
you're welcome
Old 08-11-2020, 03:07 PM
ryanlsmith
Racer

Originally Posted by ryanlsmith
Okay, I just found a very interesting workaround...at least it works in iOS 14 Beta 4 (I could have sworn this was prevented before, so there is a chance it will be "fixed" in the public release). If I make an automation such as "When the dining room lights turn on, open the garage door", I can say "Hey Siri, turn on the dining room lights", and it will open the door without unlocking.

I may write a quick Homebridge plugin to simulate a fake switch that I can use to control this...hopefully Apple doesn't change the behavior.
Found a plugin that already allows for adding "fake" switches. It was a bit more feature rich than I really needed, but it's actually quite useful. The idea is: when you turn on the switch, it will automatically turn off after a configurable delay, and upon turning off it will dispatch a motion sensor event. If you manually turn off, it will *not* dispatch the motion sensor, which is key to overriding. So now I have an automation set up to turn the switch "on" when I arrive home, and another automation to open the garage when the motion sensor goes off. For whatever reason, Apple does not require it to be unlocked for that approach - thus, when I "arrive home", the switch turns off after 5 seconds (which is perfect because after 5 seconds of entering the trigger radius, I'm not uncomfortably far away), which trips the motion sensor and opens the garage.

Of course, this all depends on Apple's "when I arrive home" functionality.
Old 08-11-2020, 03:21 PM
kpblade
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 71 Posts

Do you think we can install one of these on our sun visors?
https://www.voxxelectronics.com/gent...u=ADVGENHL5ALL
Old 08-11-2020, 09:26 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,299 Likes on 886 Posts

#porschewhatwereyouthinking?.
"We saved € 0.15 on a button! Yay, us!"

Quick Reply: Homelink AUGH!