Old 04-13-2021 | 08:22 AM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Long live the crickets!
Old 04-13-2021 | 01:08 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

I think we have two different issues being discussed. Their is low hum sound between 1500-1800 that to me is the engine lugging for a second which causes the exhaust to hum drone/ rattle. And then we have the spinning freewheel cricket sound which is similar to stick being dragged along a fence or bmx bike spokes.
Old 04-13-2021 | 02:45 PM
eagle1960
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BIGWORM
I think we have two different issues being discussed. Their is low hum sound between 1500-1800 that to me is the engine lugging for a second which causes the exhaust to hum drone/ rattle. And then we have the spinning freewheel cricket sound which is similar to stick being dragged along a fence or bmx bike spokes.
Correct, although what you describe as an exhaust sound to me is a driveline resonance that can be felt as well as heard . Mine is apparent enough that at 70 mph under slight load, it can be heard over all the other noises in the car.
Old 04-28-2021 | 06:02 PM
JHesketh
Racer

Quick update as promised.

My car was in the shop for all of last week to get to the bottom of the rattle with oversight from Porsche Switzerland allegedly.

The news is not great.

They attached a microphone to the underside of the engine. It seems that the sound is coming from inside the block.

Removal of the oil revealed the presence of metal particles - far more than is to be expected for a car at 9000 km / 5,600 US miles. The oil looks like someone’s kid spilt a bottle of glitter into the sump.

An endoscopic inspection of the engine header and cylinder liners through the spark plug hole revealed little. The suggestion is that the issue is therefore in the bottom of the engine. Interestingly, the last time the car was in the shop, the dealer’s main mechanic thought it was a flywheel imbalance.

When I reported this issue to my dealer nearly 18 months ago, I believed it was just an exhaust resonance or that it was touching a heat shield. Now, Eagle1960’s observation is making increasing sense:

Originally Posted by eagle1960
....what you describe as an exhaust sound, to me is a driveline resonance that can be felt as well as heard.
A few miles ago the whole transmission was replaced. I am now beginning to wonder if a problem in the engine caused the original transmission to shred. (I’ve barely done any miles since the new one was fitted.)

My mind is now over-working.

It has not been helped by the fact that Porsche has taken months and months to take the car in to address the problem, and on Friday I was told that I need to take it home and schedule another appointment in May because ‘the workshop is overrun changing wheels right now.

It’s tough to avoid the conclusion that the end result is going to be a $200k Frankenstein car assembled in Switzerland.

And to add insult to injury, Porsche Connect is now telling me I have no data package linked to the car.

I’m not feeling terribly well treated just now.
Old 04-28-2021 | 06:26 PM
lucycan
Three Wheelin'

Wow! I would make Porsche buy this car back ASAP.
The following users liked this post:
JHesketh (04-29-2021)
Old 04-28-2021 | 06:34 PM
German1967
Pro

Time to initiate a buy back? Sounds like a lemon.
JHesketh (04-29-2021)
Old 04-28-2021 | 06:46 PM
JHesketh
Racer

Originally Posted by lucycan
Wow! I would make Porsche buy this car back ASAP.
Originally Posted by German1967
Time to initiate a buy back? Sounds like a lemon.
No such law over here I’m afraid. The car is back to the workshop on the 10th May. The service liaison is as frustrated as me. I have to just let this process play out.
Old 04-28-2021 | 09:16 PM
eagle1960
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JHesketh
Quick update as promised.

My car was in the shop for all of last week to get to the bottom of the rattle with oversight from Porsche Switzerland allegedly.

The news is not great.

They attached a microphone to the underside of the engine. It seems that the sound is coming from inside the block.

Removal of the oil revealed the presence of metal particles - far more than is to be expected for a car at 9000 km / 5,600 US miles. The oil looks like someone’s kid spilt a bottle of glitter into the sump.

An endoscopic inspection of the engine header and cylinder liners through the spark plug hole revealed little. The suggestion is that the issue is therefore in the bottom of the engine. Interestingly, the last time the car was in the shop, the dealer’s main mechanic thought it was a flywheel imbalance.

When I reported this issue to my dealer nearly 18 months ago, I believed it was just an exhaust resonance or that it was touching a heat shield. Now, Eagle1960’s observation is making increasing sense:

A few miles ago the whole transmission was replaced. I am now beginning to wonder if a problem in the engine caused the original transmission to shred. (I’ve barely done any miles since the new one was fitted.)

My mind is now over-working.

It has not been helped by the fact that Porsche has taken months and months to take the car in to address the problem, and on Friday I was told that I need to take it home and schedule another appointment in May because ‘the workshop is overrun changing wheels right now.

It’s tough to avoid the conclusion that the end result is going to be a $200k Frankenstein car assembled in Switzerland.

And to add insult to injury, Porsche Connect is now telling me I have no data package linked to the car.

I’m not feeling terribly well treated just now.
Wow. Sorry to hear how this is going for you and hoping Porsche will make it right . My car is in the shop again this week for may be the same issue . Just had the first oil change 7 weeks ago, but didn't think to ask for a close oil and filter exam. Keep us posted .

JHesketh (04-29-2021)
Old 04-28-2021 | 09:29 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

No such law over here I’m afraid. The car is back to the workshop on the 10th May. The service liaison is as frustrated as me. I have to just let this process play out.
Its not law. Call Porsche customer service. They handle the buy back. They bought my first 2020 911 S back over a leaky PDK. They gave me back my down payment (30K usd) and all the payments I had made too. It was a rather easy process.

Last edited by BIGWORM; 04-28-2021 at 09:31 PM.
JHesketh (04-29-2021)
Old 04-28-2021 | 11:44 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BIGWORM
Its not law. Call Porsche customer service. They handle the buy back. They bought my first 2020 911 S back over a leaky PDK. They gave me back my down payment (30K usd) and all the payments I had made too. It was a rather easy process.
OP is in Switzerland.

I believe the laws in Switzerland are quite different than in the United States.
JHesketh (04-29-2021)
Old 04-28-2021 | 11:54 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
OP is in Switzerland.

I believe the laws in Switzerland are quite different than in the United States.
Even if it’s not a lemon law country… Porsche might do him right. It cant hurt to ask.

They took my first 992 back over a PDK leak pretty easily. My 2nd one drove off the lot and the paddles didn’t work. The door rattled. And it makes a clicking noise my last one didn’t make. I called them again about my 2nd one in a row that was defective and they were also open to buying that one back. I choose to get it fixed and keep it.

It can’t hurt to call OP.
JHesketh (04-29-2021)
Old 05-26-2021 | 09:32 AM
JHesketh
Racer

Another quick update:

So, my dealer bottled out of rebuilding the engine (probably a smart decision). Instead they are replacing the whole engine.

The first attempt failed because the replacement arrived with a broken pipe apparently. A second replacement has been ordered.

I’m not at all sure how I feel about this. My Stuttgart-built weapon no longer has its original steering wheel, transmission or engine.
Tupper (05-26-2021)
Old 05-26-2021 | 10:45 AM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

^ If you're getting a brand new engine, that's actually pretty good
Old 05-26-2021 | 10:54 AM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

I’m not at all sure how I feel about this. My Stuttgart-built weapon no longer has its original steering wheel, transmission or engine.
Surprised you haven’t requested a buyback.
BIGWORM (05-26-2021)
Old 05-26-2021 | 11:57 AM
BOPE
Racer

Good grief!

These discussions about failed transmissions, metal in the engine oil and odd noises makes me want to cancel my 992 order. My 991.2 has ZERO problems, perhaps I should just keep it.

Jason

Quick Reply: Heat-shield like sound at low rpm