Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

992 Base Carrera or Carrera S

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2021, 11:50 AM
FrankAT
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 43 Posts

Having gone from a 991.2 C2 to a 992 C2S (and having driven the 992 C2 on several occasions), I agree with earlier comments around the engine responsiveness. The C2 is much snappier. Certainly not turbo lag. Seems to be a throttle mapping and/or PDK issue. I will often sense some hesitation in the PDK making a gearing decision in the C2S. It's very much a noticeable difference. Since Porsche implemented the "look ahead" feature for the PDK in the 992, I wonder if that is what is causing the stagnation at times. Seems like a lot of inputs and processing the car has to do to make a shifting decision. Would love to turn this off and see if there is an improvement in the shifting pattern. See below for details on what I'm talking about. In adjudicating the C2 vs. C2S conundrum, I just found the proposition of spending $100k+ on a car that puts out sub 400hp to not be that appealing given the competition on this side of the market. Launch assisted 0 - 60 times are pretty meaningless to me. And there's not a lot of data out there on the C2's circuit times vs the C2S.

Old 02-24-2021, 12:57 PM
LnC993
Pro

Received 165 Likes on 77 Posts

Regarding to throttle mapping and PDK programing, according this Moto-Man's review of base Carrera with Sports Chrono Package, there's more delay with the base Carrera in the Normal mode than Carrera S. However, in the Sport or Sport +, base Carrera's programing and response are the same as Carrera S.

Skip to 6:18 where he talk about this. Also at 2:20 he also mention a delay in power delivery.

Old 02-24-2021, 11:03 PM
Brad911
Racer

Received 135 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Bogey4me
It’s not only about the cost. It is about driving and having fun. The C2 gets to 15-20 miles over the speed limit whether on a twisty road or the freeway plenty fast. I frankly don’t want to get there any faster. It’s the acceleration that I love. For me the C2 is the sweet spot as it’s plenty fast for me and allow me more time to enjoy the acceleration.

if I was going to track my car, like I did my M4CS, I would want the Turbo S, not the S. On a track I want the fastest version that also is compliant day to day. For me the S is stuck in between, which is why I think it’s C2 or TurboS. There are lots of 911 models for a reason. This is just my opinion for the OP to consider. Have fun out there!
Couldn’t be more bookended than that. I’m not there, Bogey.

Love my C2S. I’m sure I’d love a TTS ... but I’m spending the extra $70-$80k on a new Denali for bad weather and hauling stuff.
The following users liked this post:
detansinn (02-24-2021)
Old 02-24-2021, 11:06 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,099 Likes on 2,995 Posts

Originally Posted by Brad911
Couldn’t be more bookended than that. I’m not there, Bogey.

Love my C2S. I’m sure I’d love a TTS ... but I’m spending the extra $70-$80k on a new Denali for bad weather and hauling stuff.
Right there with you. If you already own a 992 Carrera S/4S, that premium for the TTS is really hard to justify.
Old 02-25-2021, 04:11 AM
rumnyc
Instructor

Received 154 Likes on 73 Posts

As a c2s owner i can say its just too powerful for normal roads and i would be happy with a base engine. i only got an S because I added so many options that it was silly to get such a loaded base. i kind of let the dealer talk me into it and i wanted the red brakes. this is the shameless truth.
Old 02-25-2021, 08:35 AM
phaser
Banned

Received 428 Likes on 237 Posts

The "S" has way more torque and that is what makes a car fun to drive on the street. The majority of us are not looking for a car that has to be un like a chainsaw at max rpm before there is any real power, that just plain sucks. I'll take more than I need in some guys minds and maybe even a whole lot more with a TTS.
Old 02-25-2021, 11:10 AM
510michael
Instructor

Received 189 Likes on 73 Posts

Hell, for me , I just wanted a quick daily driver sports car. I had a build ready for the dealer. The Aerokit was a must for me. When I met with the SA the last time he had a C2 with the Aerokit and most of the options I needed on the way. It was due in a few weeks. I just decided to go with that one.
Cost was obviously lower on the C2, but I had built a C2 and a C2S, and was really ok with both.
There are all sorts of reasons for people to choose C2, C2S, C4, C4S, etc.
Get what you want, regardless of what anyone else thinks or says. Life is too short to make decisions based too much around what other people think.
Goes both ways. If you want more power, a manual, or the other options that the S gets, go with the S.
The following users liked this post:
detansinn (02-25-2021)
Old 02-25-2021, 12:33 PM
casaforte9
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

I agree , 40K is a lot of money to lease another luxury car, vacation etc when turbo handling is same as turbo s and power in turbo is still scintillating . I think a 992 turbo S even at 230k will never be a mistaken for a exotic like Ferrrai or lambo as its intent is to go under the radar. I have not driven the new 992 turbo but I keep hearing that is much better in 992 guise compared to 991
Old 02-25-2021, 01:05 PM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Received 1,800 Likes on 947 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d
These blogs and all the commentariat in YouTube and Jalopnik always say that same thing -- why not just get a TTS if you are getting a TT. As if $30-40k is some trivial amount of money. For me, it's not trivial. I still ended up going TTS.

I first signed up for a Turbo, thinking I'd get a budget build. Next thing I knew it was ballooning near TTS levels, so I switched to a TTS with the idea that I'd keep it low. That didn't work out.

The average TT build is ~$190k. The average TTS build is ~$230k. Those numbers are about right. If someone has the discipline to keeping their TT build at/under $180k, it starts to make a lot of sense. But it only makes sense if you are 100% happy with that build. If you are making major concessions to hit that budget - it's not worth it and the TTS is the way to go. Just my experience.
For me, I figured a mid-range optioned S was a better choice than a more stripped down 4S. I think I'd always rather get the options I want on a trim level down than less to almost no options on the next trim up.
Old 02-25-2021, 01:56 PM
pinetree3
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 14 Posts

Glad I found this thread. Just joined the forums today after some lurking, so hello everyone! I am also considering getting into my first P-car, either a C2 or C2S. I am torn since manual is almost a must for me, but I feel paying the extra $18k CAD (I'm from Canada), just for the manual transmission is a bit steep. Based on what everyone's been saying here, I feel the C2 is plenty fast for me as it will be a summer/daily driver which I plan to drive in the winter when the roads are not covered in snow. My thinking is why buy a car to store it when I can enjoy it as much as I can.

That said, I'm still completely undecided which to go with. The C4 would be perfect for Canadian winters, but again, I need that S badge for the manual option. Do I really take a C2/C4 and save some $$$ and have a really awesome car but not being able to enjoy hitting the clutch and shifting which has always been a dream when I think of owning a 911. Decisions, decisions.
Old 02-25-2021, 02:21 PM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Received 1,800 Likes on 947 Posts

Originally Posted by pinetree3
Glad I found this thread. Just joined the forums today after some lurking, so hello everyone! I am also considering getting into my first P-car, either a C2 or C2S. I am torn since manual is almost a must for me, but I feel paying the extra $18k CAD (I'm from Canada), just for the manual transmission is a bit steep. Based on what everyone's been saying here, I feel the C2 is plenty fast for me as it will be a summer/daily driver which I plan to drive in the winter when the roads are not covered in snow. My thinking is why buy a car to store it when I can enjoy it as much as I can.

That said, I'm still completely undecided which to go with. The C4 would be perfect for Canadian winters, but again, I need that S badge for the manual option. Do I really take a C2/C4 and save some $$$ and have a really awesome car but not being able to enjoy hitting the clutch and shifting which has always been a dream when I think of owning a 911. Decisions, decisions.
I live in Colorado and am getting a C2S. I have a 997 C4S Cab now but I have heard a set of winter wheels and tires on a C2/C2S will be almost as good as a C4/C4S in most winter conditions. Especially because of the rear engine. I would get the C2S with Manual over a PDK C4 if that is your decision, but obviously if trying to choose between C2 and C2S and getting a PDK because you don't want to spend the S markup is understandable. I would look into the C2 v C2S differences, bigger brakes, bigger wheels, etc. as considerations, as it is not just the engine that differentiates the trim levels. If you were going to spec some nicer wheels on a C2, that is part of your price difference. Sport Suspension (SPASM) I don't believe is available on a C2.
The following 2 users liked this post by 3rdpedal:
pinetree3 (02-25-2021), Stevelev (02-25-2021)
Old 02-25-2021, 02:21 PM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,946 Likes on 789 Posts

When you're already spending well over $100K, get exactly what you want or buyer's remorse will kick in. I'm a die hard manual guy. I've bought 2 automatics in the past 20 yrs. Each time I brought it home, it was immediate regret and I was looking to get out of those automatics. Now, if you're not a die hard manual guy, then a C2 or C4 is fine.
Old 02-25-2021, 03:13 PM
pinetree3
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by AlterZgo
When you're already spending well over $100K, get exactly what you want or buyer's remorse will kick in. I'm a die hard manual guy. I've bought 2 automatics in the past 20 yrs. Each time I brought it home, it was immediate regret and I was looking to get out of those automatics. Now, if you're not a die hard manual guy, then a C2 or C4 is fine.
Could not agree more. I do fear of the instant regret which is why I am leaning towards the C2S. Being able to go through the gears on a sunny day or hitting the downshifts (can the auto rev-match be turned off?) spot on has always been the fundamental joy in driving for me. I remember test driving a Cayman R a few years back and the auto rev-matching both was awesome and also sad at the same time. Not being able to blip the throttle just the right amount and popping it into gear kind of sucked, but I can see from a typical driver standpoint, it'd be nice to essentially have perfect rev match downshift.

While I agree spending well over $100k the $18k shouldn't make a difference, but I come from a frugal and money conscious background and upbringing, so I do factor in whether the only main point for me in getting the S is the manual and if so, if that's worth the extra $$$.

To provide a bit more context, I don't own a business and pull in millions, I don't have a trust fund from parents. I earn a decent salary and just saved up to pull off this soon to be purchase. That's why the $18k can definitely be put to use elsewhere.
Old 02-25-2021, 03:18 PM
LnC993
Pro

Received 165 Likes on 77 Posts

Have you ever consider a Cayman GTS 4.0 with manual?

Old 02-25-2021, 03:18 PM
Nibiru12
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

Base or S?

Nobody other than the owner himself really cares or recognizes the difference, base is still super fast and flashy.

It's just all about your ego & greed & infatuation & empty soul.

Quick Reply: 992 Base Carrera or Carrera S