Sponsored by:

992 Base Carrera or Carrera S

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2021, 11:10 AM
phaser
Banned

Received 428 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Kats
I agree. Though, for me, I look at it as $12k for MT.
Along with an additional 100 ft lbs of torque where it matters along with the additional HP.
Old 02-26-2021, 11:21 AM
pinetree3
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by phaser
Most dealers don't have any 992s to sell or maybe one. Don't expect any dealers to have a demo 911s to pick from for test drives.
That makes sense, but also horrifying to hear. I know GT cars were rare, but I would figure they'd have non-GT 992s around. I sometimes drive by the Pfaff dealership and I see tons of 992s on the lot. Presumably those might be customer cars?

My next question would be, I hope they have 718s so I can at least get a sense of the PDK vs manual feeling in person.
Old 02-26-2021, 12:39 PM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Received 1,800 Likes on 947 Posts

Originally Posted by pinetree3
That makes sense, but also horrifying to hear. I know GT cars were rare, but I would figure they'd have non-GT 992s around. I sometimes drive by the Pfaff dealership and I see tons of 992s on the lot. Presumably those might be customer cars?

My next question would be, I hope they have 718s so I can at least get a sense of the PDK vs manual feeling in person.
Most of the dealers in my area have 1 or 2 992s for sale, or zero. And they don't last long. I drove over an hour to one of my area dealers to drive a used 2020 C4S with SPASM to get a sense of the option and decided to go with it, SPASM that is on my build, not purchasing the car.

I have only seen 2 992 MTs dealers in the past year plus now. 1 was a customer car that I was allowed to sit in and put it the clutch so I could feel it and the short throw shifter. No driving it of course. The other was a new vehicle at a dealership an hour away that I really wanted to get down to drive (though I don't think I would have bought it for the color/options/etc.) and unfortunately it sold before I could find the time to get down there to drive it. So like many I am going off of the YT reviews and ordering an MT sans experiencing it.
Old 02-26-2021, 12:57 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Originally Posted by 3rdpedal
Most of the dealers in my area have 1 or 2 992s for sale, or zero. And they don't last long. I drove over an hour to one of my area dealers to drive a used 2020 C4S with SPASM to get a sense of the option and decided to go with it, SPASM that is on my build, not purchasing the car.

I have only seen 2 992 MTs dealers in the past year plus now. 1 was a customer car that I was allowed to sit in and put it the clutch so I could feel it and the short throw shifter. No driving it of course. The other was a new vehicle at a dealership an hour away that I really wanted to get down to drive (though I don't think I would have bought it for the color/options/etc.) and unfortunately it sold before I could find the time to get down there to drive it. So like many I am going off of the YT reviews and ordering an MT sans experiencing it.
If you have driven the 991.2 manual, just think of it as being better. Full stop.
The following users liked this post:
Stevelev (02-26-2021)
Old 02-26-2021, 01:01 PM
Gentian21
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 106 Posts

I've read before that the 992 manual is better than its predecessor, but can you describe how and why it is better?
Old 02-26-2021, 01:07 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Originally Posted by OwingsMills
I've read before that the 992 manual is better than its predecessor, but can you describe how and why it is better?
May I refer you to here? This sums it up nicely.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/reviews...manual-review/
Old 02-26-2021, 01:24 PM
Gentian21
Racer

Thank you. The article was pretty definitive on the 992's superiority. I'm wondering what Porsche did technically to improve the transmission/clutch/shifter to get this result?
Old 02-26-2021, 03:12 PM
pinetree3
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
If you have driven the 991.2 manual, just think of it as being better. Full stop.
Unfortunately, I haven't. I only had the opportunity to test drive a 981R in manual.
Old 02-26-2021, 04:08 PM
Stevelev
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by pinetree3
Unfortunately, I haven't. I only had the opportunity to test drive a 981R in manual.
Different manual ... I've never driven the 981 R but did own a manual 981B for several years. The 991.2 7 speed is very nice but is different than the 6 speed (both are great but the 7 speed took a little getting used to and the clutch isn't quite as firm compared to the 981). My money is on there not being any 992 manuals to test drive for 2021. Im waiting for an allocation and am told that there's a supply issue which is pushing these further into the future. I'm hoping I'll have a 992 at some point but it will most likely be a 2022. For what its worth, if there are no manuals to test drive in TO, my 2019 Targa is now at Mark Motors (Ottawa) and will be available for sale shortly IF you want to make the 4+ hour drive. Since the winter wheels/ tires are sold (coming off the car early next week), arranging a test drive will subject to the weather).

Last edited by Stevelev; 02-26-2021 at 04:09 PM.
Old 02-26-2021, 05:25 PM
pinetree3
Advanced

Originally Posted by Stevelev
Different manual ... I've never driven the 981 R but did own a manual 981B for several years. The 991.2 7 speed is very nice but is different than the 6 speed (both are great but the 7 speed took a little getting used to and the clutch isn't quite as firm compared to the 981). My money is on there not being any 992 manuals to test drive for 2021. Im waiting for an allocation and am told that there's a supply issue which is pushing these further into the future. I'm hoping I'll have a 992 at some point but it will most likely be a 2022. For what its worth, if there are no manuals to test drive in TO, my 2019 Targa is now at Mark Motors (Ottawa) and will be available for sale shortly IF you want to make the 4+ hour drive. Since the winter wheels/ tires are sold (coming off the car early next week), arranging a test drive will subject to the weather).
Thank you for that Steve, I appreciate it. I haven't started the serious process of buying yet, and this is the first step. Getting more info from this great community before I start reaching out to dealerships and SAs. An 8 hour round trip is a big commitment, so I'll keep it in my back pocket, but I'll try to call around to see if the dealerships can pull some magic there.
Stevelev (02-26-2021)
Old 03-01-2021, 02:58 PM
Tompoodie
Pro

Received 230 Likes on 142 Posts

It is correct there is little lap time information for the base.
At the Hockenheim GP track, for the base 992 Carrera, the time is 1 minute 57.6 Seconds
Cayman Boxster 718 GTS 1 minute 57.7 seconds
BMW M2 competition 1 minute 57.6 seconds
992 Carrera S 1 minute 53.3 seconds
Hope this helps to give some perspective. We are not supposed to provide links to other websites, however this information is easy to find online, for an entire list of lap times at this track.

Last edited by Tompoodie; 03-01-2021 at 08:27 PM. Reason: clarification: exchanged "to provide links" for the word refer
Old 03-01-2021, 06:54 PM
Brad911
Racer

Received 135 Likes on 83 Posts

C2S ... “there is no substitute” ... except a TTS!
RJR88 (03-01-2021)
Old 06-18-2021, 02:29 PM
rewardforsuccess
Advanced

Received 54 Likes on 28 Posts

Base is better for regular roads. Get the S for bragging rights or it's your last Porsche. Get the S if you are a track lover.
With the base, You'll be able to rev more and push the car closer to it's limits without going TOO much over the speed limit. For example, on the S, in order to enjoy it you will be going like 60-65mph on a 45mph road. That's too fast, whereas in a humble base, it's around 50-55 ish, just right.

The 992 is so fast that even the base is faster than a 991.2 4S. Even when pulling on the highway it feels like a 991.1 Turbo that's how much power you have.
You cannot really discern the .3 or whatever from 0-60-100 in a base or the S. You will be around 80-85 mph when an S will give you 100+.

On US highways where the limit is 55-65, upon hard accelerating where it is fun, the base will be around 80-85 (under 90 threshold). You will most likely avoid any tickets since many other cars are in that range, but when you are doing 95+ you will for sure grab the attention of traffic enforcement. It was not like this in the 991.1 and 991.2 generation. Back then, the S was barely adequate. You could use the power of the GTS freely. Problem is the 992 became so much faster and smoother.

The base/pasm/spasm is similar. The base non-pasm is more suited for daily driving. It's more comfortable and relaxed. I tried the Spasm and man each bump on the road was like cracking your back. Non-pasm vs pasm, for the street I still prefer the non-pasm. To me any active suspensions versus regular coil springs detract from the naturalness. I hate feeling any lag or "calculating" so to speak, and that's also why I'm not a big fan of real-wheel steering either.

Porsche-Torque-Vectoring (Limited slip differential) is imperceptible with proper tires and regular driving, even in bad weather. It doesn't really help unless you are driving like a nut all the time, in bad weather. It's suited for the track. You don't need it. Incidentally the only time I slipped out was on a 991.2 4S with all the bells and whistles PTV/RWS/PASM etc.

The right answer is that you gotta configure the car for your specific needs.

But, objectively the setup that fits the streets and regular driving, the base setup is the most ideal. The reason why you have so many S is flat-out better than the base posts is basically because of 1) the press and 2) Defending their egos.

I've driven them all.

Last edited by rewardforsuccess; 06-18-2021 at 03:08 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by rewardforsuccess:
Adr (01-15-2022), Blue Bread (04-17-2022), GTClone992 (06-18-2021), marrast (06-18-2021)
Old 06-18-2021, 05:53 PM
Gentian21
Racer

Originally Posted by rewardforsuccess
Base is better for regular roads. Get the S for bragging rights or it's your last Porsche. Get the S if you are a track lover.
With the base, You'll be able to rev more and push the car closer to it's limits without going TOO much over the speed limit. For example, on the S, in order to enjoy it you will be going like 60-65mph on a 45mph road. That's too fast, whereas in a humble base, it's around 50-55 ish, just right.

The 992 is so fast that even the base is faster than a 991.2 4S. Even when pulling on the highway it feels like a 991.1 Turbo that's how much power you have.
You cannot really discern the .3 or whatever from 0-60-100 in a base or the S. You will be around 80-85 mph when an S will give you 100+.

On US highways where the limit is 55-65, upon hard accelerating where it is fun, the base will be around 80-85 (under 90 threshold). You will most likely avoid any tickets since many other cars are in that range, but when you are doing 95+ you will for sure grab the attention of traffic enforcement. It was not like this in the 991.1 and 991.2 generation. Back then, the S was barely adequate. You could use the power of the GTS freely. Problem is the 992 became so much faster and smoother.

The base/pasm/spasm is similar. The base non-pasm is more suited for daily driving. It's more comfortable and relaxed. I tried the Spasm and man each bump on the road was like cracking your back. Non-pasm vs pasm, for the street I still prefer the non-pasm. To me any active suspensions versus regular coil springs detract from the naturalness. I hate feeling any lag or "calculating" so to speak, and that's also why I'm not a big fan of real-wheel steering either.

Porsche-Torque-Vectoring (Limited slip differential) is imperceptible with proper tires and regular driving, even in bad weather. It doesn't really help unless you are driving like a nut all the time, in bad weather. It's suited for the track. You don't need it. Incidentally the only time I slipped out was on a 991.2 4S with all the bells and whistles PTV/RWS/PASM etc.

But, objectively the setup that fits the streets and regular driving, the base setup is the most ideal. The reason why you have so many S is flat-out better than the base posts is basically because of 1) the press and 2) Defending their egos.

I've driven them all.
Nonsense. I have the S, and never once have I said, "This car is a tremendous amount of fun, but I just wish it had less power". To suggest that S owners have ego problems is churlish, if not suspiciously defensive. I do think it is true, though, that the base and the S are close enough in performance that if one is too fast for the street, then so is the other. The 992 is a tremendously fast car in either base or S configuration, and it is a challenge to exploit their potential off the track--but if routinely wringing a car out to redline on public roads is important to someone, they should get a VW GTI or a Miata.
The following 3 users liked this post by Gentian21:
detansinn (06-18-2021), M3Inline6 (06-18-2021), srleadjb (06-26-2024)
Old 06-18-2021, 06:10 PM
M3Inline6
Drifting

Received 1,797 Likes on 971 Posts

Originally Posted by rewardforsuccess

I've driven them all.
....or maybe, just maybe.....get the S to get the 7MT because that's not an option with the base car. Ever fathom that?
aggie57 (06-18-2021)

Quick Reply: 992 Base Carrera or Carrera S