992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

992 Base Carrera or Carrera S

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2020 | 09:31 AM
jzra
Track Day

In my case I'll only choose C2 just because the lack of money for C2S..
Old 05-22-2020 | 10:18 AM
doug992
Racer

Originally Posted by jzra
In my case I'll only choose C2 just because the lack of money for C2S..
absolutely nothing wrong with spending your money where you see fit.. that's where there are so many options on models and options on options .. i only got the C2S because it's the only option for a manual .. these are turbo motors .. you can always tune for more power .. i would love a manual C2 with 500 hp
The following 2 users liked this post by doug992:
jzra (05-22-2020), pinetree3 (02-25-2021)
Old 05-22-2020 | 10:55 AM
francis
8th Gear

base is so right of a car, I see the 4 pot front brakes as its only problem. the car is so fast in base, a larger 6-8 pot fronts with 360mm or larger to be much reassuring that the fast car will stop like the S.
Old 05-22-2020 | 06:37 PM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bogey4me
this is a great review of the base model
I like Janko, but that review honestly sucks. He spends barely any of the time actually providing feedback of the drive. He just gushes about how the base model is something to love, and enjoy. It's there to be your "friend" ... bla bla bla!

You'll find a couple base reviews and a couple articles, but lets face it! The S had a full year headstart with reviews. You'll find ENDLESS articles and reviews gushing about the S model. I want to see driver feedback! I want to see on-track performance!

The base has a lot of catching up to do. I am just tired of seeing every review of a Porsche 911 being about the S model, acting like it's the BASE model Porsche offers in the 911 lineup when comparing it with other manufacturers.

Another peeve I have, when you actually FIND a base review. EVERY journalist that gives the base some love will have to throw a comment in there about saying it's "enough" 911 and you shouldn't feel the need for an S. Base Porsche is plenty.

When is the last time you've read an article about an S owner shouldn't feel the need to get a GTS?

.... The base model is just that. It's the base. Even with it being out for 6 months now, you won't see an influx of reviews. The S is and will always be, the press release vehicle given to journalists.

I absolutely love the base model, but I'm going to say what every base owner wants to say.... I frikin hate saying "BASE"
The following users liked this post:
Bogey4me (05-22-2020)
Old 05-22-2020 | 06:59 PM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by smiles11
I absolutely love the base model, but I'm going to say what every base owner wants to say.... I frikin hate saying "BASE"
I use C2 and C4. Also 992 instead of 911. Those in the Porsche tent know, and I don't care about anyone outside.
Old 05-22-2020 | 07:05 PM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

duplicate post
Old 05-22-2020 | 07:16 PM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

Angry

Originally Posted by gcurnew
I use C2 and C4. Also 992 instead of 911. Those in the Porsche tent know, and I don't care about anyone outside.
I know. I have a write-up comparing the C2 & C2S on Rennlist. The terminology C2/C4, are understood here within the community... but it is the base model everywhere else.
Old 05-22-2020 | 07:34 PM
Bogey4me
AutoX

Originally Posted by rk-d
This makes no sense. I'm sorry.

The C2 is a good car, but I agree with doug992 - anything less than what the S offers, for me, would not be enough power. At this point, the S is *just* enough.

And the idea that you should either go "base" or Turbo S is a false dichotomy. The Turbo S literally costs over twice a C2! Who in the world cross shops a Base C2 and a TTS??
It’s not only about the cost. It is about driving and having fun. The C2 gets to 15-20 miles over the speed limit whether on a twisty road or the freeway plenty fast. I frankly don’t want to get there any faster. It’s the acceleration that I love. For me the C2 is the sweet spot as it’s plenty fast for me and allow me more time to enjoy the acceleration.

if I was going to track my car, like I did my M4CS, I would want the Turbo S, not the S. On a track I want the fastest version that also is compliant day to day. For me the S is stuck in between, which is why I think it’s C2 or TurboS. There are lots of 911 models for a reason. This is just my opinion for the OP to consider. Have fun out there!
Old 05-22-2020 | 07:52 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gcurnew
Frankly, to 99% of people out there -- there is no difference between any of these variants. I wouldn't be surprised if the GT3 Touring would be confused with a vanilla Carrera. It's a Porsh. That's as far as most people pay attention.

Originally Posted by Bogey4me
It’s not only about the cost. It is about driving and having fun. The C2 gets to 15-20 miles over the speed limit whether on a twisty road or the freeway plenty fast. I frankly don’t want to get there any faster. It’s the acceleration that I love. For me the C2 is the sweet spot as it’s plenty fast for me and allow me more time to enjoy the acceleration.

if I was going to track my car, like I did my M4CS, I would want the Turbo S, not the S. On a track I want the fastest version that also is compliant day to day. For me the S is stuck in between, which is why I think it’s C2 or TurboS. There are lots of 911 models for a reason. This is just my opinion for the OP to consider. Have fun out there!
Honestly, if I wanted to track one of these cars, I'd go with a GT3. The Turbo will destroy all on the track, but it would be exhilarating to be able to wind out a GT NA motor. But that's why they make more than one model - a fit for every taste.

I do prefer the old days -- where a 911 Carrera was just that. No "base" terminology. The S models were the variant. With the way Porsche does it now, the "S" models become the default because they come out first.
The following 4 users liked this post by rk-d:
Bogey4me (05-22-2020), Russian Mafia (02-22-2021), SBAD (02-23-2021), smiles11 (05-22-2020)
Old 02-22-2021 | 10:31 PM
510michael
Instructor

Originally Posted by rk-d
Frankly, to 99% of people out there -- there is no difference between any of these variants. I wouldn't be surprised if the GT3 Touring would be confused with a vanilla Carrera. It's a Porsh. That's as far as most people pay.
Yep, that's been my experience as well. My wife and her friends think they all look the same.
The following users liked this post:
detansinn (02-22-2021)
Old 02-22-2021 | 10:58 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 510michael
Yep, that's been my experience as well. My wife and her friends think they all look the same.
They do all look the same. The general public doesn’t care.
Old 02-23-2021 | 04:25 AM
politeperson
Racer

Yes, 99.9% of the population dont care.

They all look the same, like this collection of 30's cars look the same to me.

Just like my Jaguar XKE collection, they are all different cars, I know which ones are worth more but to most people they are all the same.

On the subject of Base C2 speed, it is a very quick car.

I have not used full throttle this year. Not because I am driving Miss Daisy, I just cannot exercise vehicle this on normal roads.

At absolutely no point in my ownership have I thought "I need more power". The C2 is fine.

Old 02-23-2021 | 04:40 AM
cheric
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by TimD
The big one for me is no sport suspension on the base car. Seems like all the rave reviews for the S cars were with sports suspension.
If you use it a lot on track days -- or are an auto journalist -- the sport suspension is great.

If you could care less about 1/10th second faster on some race track lap -- forget the sport suspension. It lower making it easier to trash the nose or underside. It rides rough as all get out. It make the car noisier (tire noise).

Especially if a daily driver I'd never get the sport suspension. I agonized over it but am about to order without -- if the dealer has an allocation yet!
Old 02-23-2021 | 04:52 AM
politeperson
Racer

On the last track day I went to the quickest car was a C2 with no options. No "Sports suspension".

The standard suspension is flipping firm anyway.
Old 02-23-2021 | 05:42 AM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cheric
If you use it a lot on track days -- or are an auto journalist -- the sport suspension is great.

If you could care less about 1/10th second faster on some race track lap -- forget the sport suspension. It lower making it easier to trash the nose or underside. It rides rough as all get out. It make the car noisier (tire noise).

Especially if a daily driver I'd never get the sport suspension. I agonized over it but am about to order without -- if the dealer has an allocation yet!
Originally Posted by politeperson
On the last track day I went to the quickest car was a C2 with no options. No "Sports suspension".

The standard suspension is flipping firm anyway.
Sports suspension is still soft when you start to actually get on it at the track. It's not that firm really, but I wouldn't buy a S just because of that (says me with an SPASM equipped S....)

Last edited by aggie57; 02-23-2021 at 05:43 AM.

Quick Reply: 992 Base Carrera or Carrera S