Sponsored by:

992 GTS

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2020, 12:01 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,504 Likes on 2,826 Posts

Originally Posted by arek
In 991, the width went like this: C2, C2S <<< C4, C4S, C2GTS, C4GTS <<< Turbo, Turbo S
What we know about 992 so far: C2, C2S, C4, C4S <<< Turbo, Turbo S

If they followed the 991, the 992 GTS models would have the same body as C4.
You seem to imply that 992 GTS will have the widest body of the Turbo. What's the source of that info?
Also the GT3 was C4s width. The GT3RS and GT2RS were Turbo width.
The following users liked this post:
detansinn (02-16-2020)
Old 02-16-2020, 12:07 PM
chance6
Race Car

Received 1,504 Likes on 964 Posts

Originally Posted by sechsgang
I would be SHOCKED if the GTS used a 3.8l . Would that be awesome though...yeah, but I just see it as being a 475 hp tt 3.0...cant see them dumping in so much more money when they barely need to adjust the boost and a little turbo action to get what they need.
Yep I'd be shocked too. The 3.8 TT is heritage for the true Turbo cars. They can reposition the intercoolers, improve cylinder liners, and use better fuel injectors and different intake on the new 992 TTS.
Old 02-16-2020, 12:08 PM
frankchn
Pro

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts

The Turbo bodies also have the pair of side air intakes for the intercoolers, which the green car doesn’t have.
Old 02-16-2020, 12:12 PM
chance6
Race Car

Originally Posted by rk-d
GTS is going to be Turbo width? I don't buy it. We'll see. The GT2/GT3 RS, sure.

The Carrera, as it is, has a wide ***. The Turbo/GT3RS/GT2RS has the rear intakes to break up the increase width of the rear. Smooth fenders may look obese without the intakes.

The ultra wide *** has been reserved for the top tier models in the 991 gen. I have a hard time seeing them putting the GTS in that tier.
After sitting in a 992 S again yesterday at the dealer, I really like the new interior, provided that it has full leather and 18-way seats. Even the std trim on the dash looks pretty decent. It's an improvement. Two other things I noticed while sitting in the driver's seat: you can lower the seat farther into the body, with a better range of motion, AND the rear hips look different than 991 C4 widebody when looking out the side mirror. The overall width in the rear may be the same as 991 C4, but the shape is different.
Old 02-16-2020, 12:15 PM
chance6
Race Car

Originally Posted by kwikit356
If you take a look at the German Porsche configurator for the new 718 GTS 4.0 there is a Green option which appears to be called "Python" green. It appears to be slightly darker than Porsche's known "Viper" green. Of course pythons and vipers are very different snakes. I like both colors, but I'd take the Viper green every time.
And the Panamera has Mamba green!
Old 02-16-2020, 12:33 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 905 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn
The green car pictured doesn’t look any wider than a regular 992 Carrera. The TT/TTS car is visibly wider in all of the pictures. From other Carrera GTS photos posted, it looks like the car is not getting a special widebody over its Carrera siblings.
Once again, who says those are really GTS photos. Seems like photo ops driven by speculation based solely on centerl locks. They could throw center locks on anything to test new wheels, brakes and etc.

I will be shocked if GTS does not have same body as Turbo. Porsche will do something fairly substantial to make S and C4S guys wants to upgrade to GTS when it comes out late in the cycle. A little change in hp won’t serve that purpose.
Old 02-16-2020, 12:39 PM
chance6
Race Car

Originally Posted by Doug H
Once again, who says those are really GTS photos. Seems like photo ops driven by speculation based solely on centerl locks. They could throw center locks on anything to test new wheels, brakes and etc.

I will be shocked if GTS does not have same body as Turbo. Porsche will do something fairly substantial to make S and C4S guys wants to upgrade to GTS when it comes out late in the cycle. A little change in hp won’t serve that purpose.
But won't a GTS body matching Turbo width possibly take away from true Turbo sales?
Old 02-16-2020, 01:06 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by chance6
But won't a GTS body matching Turbo width possibly take away from true Turbo sales?
Didn’t take away turbo sales with earlier models. Inlets, rear bumper, spoiler, front end treatment will all be different on Turbo. The performance of Turbo is hyper car. A buddy of mine that drove it said 2.0 to 2.1 0-60.

The GTS performance won’t be vastly different than the S/4S or near Turbo, but will be set apart by wide body without inlets, center locks and maybe a suspension tweak. The wide body with a little hp bump without turbo body treatment will make it desirable. Lol, that’s my take. We shall see.
OTM (02-17-2020)
Old 02-16-2020, 01:16 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

I'll be honest - the Carrera is wide enough. Agree with chance6 -- the rear fenders have a different shape and it's dramatically bigger looking in the rear view. Wider hips without those intakes to break it up would look Kardashian.
Old 02-16-2020, 02:44 PM
JMartinni
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by fxz
a GT2 Touring because
1) is not the time for the GTS
2) rims centerlock
and most important
3) no rear seats

1) Porsche test new models way in advance of their market launch.
2) The 991 GTS had center locks.
3) Fold down the seats in a 992 Carrera and it looks just like that.
4) There is no 992 GT2 yet, and a GT2 certainly would have side intakes like a Turbo given the cooling requirements.

As for the "source" saying this is the wide Turbo body without intakes (and different design elements in the lower corners)... I think people kid themself expecting Porsche to make a new body style for just one model trim instead of reusing existing parts.
Old 02-16-2020, 03:42 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 441 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by JMartinni
1) Porsche test new models way in advance of their market launch
That green is ready for production not a mule

btw do you really need a test far before the launch for just a tiny 25 HP added to the current 992 2S 3liters turbo?

Last edited by fxz; 02-16-2020 at 04:22 PM.
Old 02-16-2020, 04:18 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by JMartinni
1) Porsche test new models way in advance of their market launch.
2) The 991 GTS had center locks.
3) Fold down the seats in a 992 Carrera and it looks just like that.
4) There is no 992 GT2 yet, and a GT2 certainly would have side intakes like a Turbo given the cooling requirements.

As for the "source" saying this is the wide Turbo body without intakes (and different design elements in the lower corners)... I think people kid themself expecting Porsche to make a new body style for just one model trim instead of reusing existing parts.
I am definitely Porsche target market for Turbo and GTS. I would not purchase a GTS in a C4S/S body. Makes zero sense. Why would anyone dump an S/4S for a GTS with same body and a little extra hp when you can easily tune the S/4S for more hp.

Dude, come on. Do you really think difficult to make a wide body without the turbo inlets and spoiler. Just don’t punch holes in them and walla, GTS

I will ask a few guys I know that would know answer. Candidly, I have not been interested in GTS as I am getting Turbo, but who the heck would want to pay premium $$$ for a GTS that looks like OP picture.

GTS will hopefully also have a more exciting front as well as wider hips.
Old 02-16-2020, 04:27 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,101 Likes on 2,872 Posts

I am definitely Porsche target market for Turbo and GTS. I would not purchase a GTS in a C4S/S body. Makes zero sense. Why would anyone dump an S/4S for a GTS with same body and a little extra hp when you can easily tune the S/4S for more hp.
If one is inclined to tune, just imagine the tuning potential of a GTS using the 3.8TT...

This may be part of the rationale behind the new GTS strategy of using a detuned better motor, rather than up-tuned lower motor...
Rennolazine (02-16-2020)
Old 02-16-2020, 04:27 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Dude, come on. Do you really think difficult to make a wide body without the turbo inlets and spoiler. Just don’t punch holes in them and walla, GTS

I will ask a few guys I know that would know answer. Candidly, I have not been interested in GTS as I am getting Turbo, but who the heck would want to pay premium $$$ for a GTS that looks like OP picture.
1) People don't want to tune their car and risk their warranty

2) GTS is a *value* package. You get CL wheels, Alcantara special interior bits, sportdesign exterior with custom black bits included along with sports package. It's a high value trim level, more than a no holds barred trim level. Custom panels cuts their profit margin and Porsche loves their profit margins.

3) People buy GTS for the nameplate and the value and the higher resale value as well as the incremental performance increase. Honestly, losing wide-body was a much bigger deal for the C4s than it would be for the GTS. People who craved a 991 wide body would typically just get a C4S instead of stretching out for a GTS which dealers discount less.

3) Short of you asking Andreas Preuninger, most information is arguable. Like you said - we'll see. Maybe you prove us wrong -- personally I'd be very surprised.
Old 02-16-2020, 04:35 PM
ryandarr1979
Three Wheelin'

Received 839 Likes on 418 Posts

Originally Posted by arek
You seem to imply that 992 GTS will have the widest body of the Turbo. What's the source of that info?
As he said, “his sources wouldn’t lie to him given he’s bought a new 911 turbo from them every 1-3 years since 1988 and other niceties including Carrera GT.....” LOL (my vote for douchiest comment of 2020....)

Quick Reply: 992 GTS