Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

992 GTS

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2020, 04:37 PM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

No-one upgrades from C2S to GTS. It's an end-of-line value package as others have mentioned already.

GTS has never had a wider body than C4S.

They didn't even punch holes in the 991 turbo fenders when they borrowed them for the 3RS.

Yes we think it's a GTS because it looks like a C4S with centre locks. What else would be different? Smoked rear lights I guess?
Old 02-16-2020, 04:39 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 905 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by ryandarr1979
As he said, “his sources wouldn’t lie to him given he’s bought a new 911 turbo from them every 1-3 years since 1983.....” LOL (my vote for douchiest comment of 2020....)
May keast get what I said straight before personally slamming me. I said I was told the Turbo, not the GTS, had a wide body. It was also 1989 not 1983 . . .
Old 02-16-2020, 04:43 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,173 Likes on 3,019 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug H
I am definitely Porsche target market for Turbo and GTS. I would not purchase a GTS in a C4S/S body. Makes zero sense. Why would anyone dump an S/4S for a GTS with same body and a little extra hp when you can easily tune the S/4S for more hp.

Dude, come on. Do you really think difficult to make a wide body without the turbo inlets and spoiler. Just don’t punch holes in them and walla, GTS

I will ask a few guys I know that would know answer. Candidly, I have not been interested in GTS as I am getting Turbo, but who the heck would want to pay premium $$$ for a GTS that looks like OP picture.

GTS will hopefully also have a more exciting front as well as wider hips.
The Carrera GTS has effectively been a super option package for Carrera for a few generations now. It’s been the better deal if you were going to load up an S anyway, plus, you get some additional features and options like center locks and Alcantara. Of course, you also get some additional warranteed horsepower.

In the past, it received the Carrera 4/s widebody even in RWD form. This used to be one of the perks, but won’t be a differentiator in the 992 gen as Porsche has stated that all Carreras will have the same widebody this generation, regardless whether they are RWD or AWD. Again, the Carrera GTS is a Carrera.

It’s still going to be worth it if you want the top dog Carrera and will be the fastest 911 with available four seats outside of the TT/TTS cars.
Old 02-16-2020, 04:47 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Gravs
No-one upgrades from C2S to GTS. It's an end-of-line value package as others have mentioned already.

GTS has never had a wider body than C4S.

They didn't even punch holes in the 991 turbo fenders when they borrowed them for the 3RS.

Yes we think it's a GTS because it looks like a C4S with centre locks. What else would be different? Smoked rear lights I guess?
C4S hasn’t been the same size as a C2S since perhaps the 993 either . . .

Many go from S and 4S to a GTS when it hits. Lol, you guys get a little worked up and defensive over this stuff which really ain’t super important at all. Enjoy your Sunday.
Old 02-16-2020, 05:10 PM
Benedict14
Burning Brakes

Received 291 Likes on 148 Posts

I broached this issue earlier. We can debate engine all we want and we shall see soon enough, but is the assumption this is a GTS based just on the center locks?

I am in line for a 992 Turbo and I was told that it will be wider than the S and 4S. This is why I asked 2 pages back if the green car in photo was widebody or C4S/S body width? If the turbo is wider as I have been told, then the GTS will be wider as well and who knows or cares what is in the photo as they could slap center locks on anything.
This is going to be amusing.
Old 02-16-2020, 05:38 PM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Received 1,623 Likes on 683 Posts

Originally Posted by Benedict14
This is going to be amusing.
I was thinking the same thing. How long until the “dually” is released?
Old 02-16-2020, 10:21 PM
chance6
Race Car

Received 1,504 Likes on 964 Posts

I am definitely Porsche target market for Turbo and GTS. I would not purchase a GTS in a C4S/S body. Makes zero sense. Why would anyone dump an S/4S for a GTS with same body and a little extra hp when you can easily tune the S/4S for more hp.

Dude, come on. Do you really think difficult to make a wide body without the turbo inlets and spoiler. Just don’t punch holes in them and walla, GTS

I will ask a few guys I know that would know answer. Candidly, I have not been interested in GTS as I am getting Turbo, but who the heck would want to pay premium $$$ for a GTS that looks like OP picture.

GTS will hopefully also have a more exciting front as well as wider hips.
I just can't see the 992 GTS getting a wider body than the S/4S. To me I guess it's odd to have a Turbo wide body without the inlets...seems weird. Would be a definite departure from previous approach. The beauty of previous GTS models was the power bump, and the mix of other sporty equipment, such as lowering the car 10 mm, PDK tweak, CL wheels, etc.

To me a 475 hp GTS with centerlocks and more sporty PDK shifting, maybe a higher extending wing, etc. is pretty appealing at the right price.
The following users liked this post:
detansinn (02-16-2020)
Old 02-16-2020, 10:32 PM
chance6
Race Car

If the GTS has a wider body than the S/4S and it has a detuned 3.8 TT, I will guarantee that car will pillage some of the big boy Turbo sales. "Hmm, well this car lists for $139k and has 475 hp and it's quicker than a GT3" and "the new Turbo S also has a 3.8 liter but it lists for $201k"- and if this economy takes a d*ump then folks will be banging for that GTS.
Slingray (02-17-2020)
Old 02-16-2020, 10:38 PM
chance6
Race Car

Originally Posted by chance6
I just can't see the 992 GTS getting a wider body than the S/4S. To me I guess it's odd to have a Turbo wide body without the inlets...seems weird. Would be a definite departure from previous approach. The beauty of previous GTS models was the power bump, and the mix of other sporty equipment, such as lowering the car 10 mm, PDK tweak, CL wheels, etc.

To me a 475 hp GTS with centerlocks and more sporty PDK shifting, maybe a higher extending wing, etc. is pretty appealing at the right price.
That said, maybe they are approaching limits on the 3.0 liter in terms of power output- maybe they can slap on bigger turbos...but maybe they don't want to do that. I guess we'll see.
Old 02-17-2020, 12:04 AM
Slingray
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

Exactly
Old 02-17-2020, 12:11 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,504 Likes on 2,826 Posts

If the GTS has a wider body than the S/4S and it has a detuned 3.8 TT, I will guarantee that car will pillage some of the big boy Turbo sales. "Hmm, well this car lists for $139k and has 475 hp and it's quicker than a GT3" and "the new Turbo S also has a 3.8 liter but it lists for $201k"- and if this economy takes a d*ump then folks will be banging for that GTS.
...(delete)
Old 02-17-2020, 12:22 AM
Slingray
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

That said, maybe they are approaching limits on the 3.0 liter in terms of power output- maybe they can slap on bigger turbos...but maybe they don't want to do that. I guess we'll see.

Tuners have the current 992 engine running close to 550hp, on the current turbos (Porsche normally upgrade the turbos on the GTS), so the 3.0 has plenty more to give.

... Another reason the 992 GTS getting the Turbo motor is complete baloney.
Old 02-17-2020, 02:00 AM
Principissimo
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts

People buying Turbo and Turbo S, at least here in Italy, buy them cause the power and the fact you can see it is The Special 911. Don't think a 3.08 GTS will change this
detansinn (02-17-2020)
Old 02-17-2020, 08:46 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Perhaps I am misunderstanding what you are saying or perhaps a couple of you guys are pretty new to the brand . . . , but I have a 2012 GTS and it is the turbo width without the inlets. I just sold my 991.2 Turbo and I thought, perhaps incorrectly, it was the same width as the 991.2 GTS without the inlets.

When it came out, the allure of the 997.2 GTS was the ability to get a wide body in a RWD configuration ala modern GT2 when it appeared in 996 trim. The GTS in recent years has become a somewhat massed produced, watered down marketing ploy without a true identity designed to generate sales #s late in model cycles. I see/hope that the GTS will mean something a bit special with the 992.

The base model 911s have reached a performance level that is already quick enough for public streets in a straight line and well beyond the limits of the car control skills possessed by 99% of those on here or purchasing them. I think most purchase Turbos at this stage (post 991.1 and now that everything is FI) not for the performance increase, but for the looks. I purchased turbos since the 3.2 days to overcome the anemic low end torque the NA 911s had for city driving and because wide bodies with tails were what 911s were all about throughout the years.

Now that Porsche has made the bodies of the base models C2, C4, C2s and C4S all the same and EVERYTHING is FI . . . I think they will set apart the Turbo and GTXs with wider bodies from the base cars. Also kind of blown away someone would think this green car in OP seemingly in narrow body (non-turbo) trim in OP could be a GT2. I would definitely think GT2 will be in Turbo trim on steroids.
Old 02-17-2020, 09:20 AM
Sausage416
Pro

Received 336 Likes on 168 Posts

spotted a gts cab.
dhirm5 (02-17-2020)

Quick Reply: 992 GTS