New 992 Price

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2020, 01:40 PM
bcayes
7th Gear

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
Default New 992 Price

Hey All-

In the quest to buy a new 992 S, I'm finding strong resistance from the dealers to providing a decent discount. Maybe I'm too used to buying "normal" cars, but I don't think of 5% as a "good" discount. What do you folks think a "good" discount is for a new 992 S? What have you seen out there from US dealers? Are my expectations out of bounds?

Any help or direction would be appreciated.

My apologies if this is a repeat of any previous topic. I searched for a previous thread that addressed this topic, but didn't get any hits.

Thanks

Popular Reply

08-22-2020, 04:51 PM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,698 Likes on 1,266 Posts

Originally Posted by txpackers
I plan on ordering sometime in the next 6 - 8 months. I now live in the San Diego area so plan on PEC LA delivery. As such shouldn’t matter what dealer I order from. Any recommendations on dealers offering the best % off on a order?

I always like to give my business to local companies so I will try the local San Diego and Carlsbad dealers and give them a chance. I will order from them if they can get close to something I can get elsewhere. If anyone has a salesperson recommendation from either dealer I’ll take that too.
I saw your post and thought I'd share with you my recent experience when ordering my 2021 C2S.

I personally visited and/or spoke on the phone with and often by email as well, every Porsche Dealer in California, Nevada and Arizona. There are 28 of them. My philosophy has been that if/when I'm spending this much money on a car I want to purchase "exactly" what I want and do not want to compromise by buying something a dealer has on their lot that doesn’t match what I want exactly. For example: Not wanting a sunroof, but wanting the quiet glass and the extended range fuel tank options eliminated anything any dealer presently had in stock.

It pays to educate yourself as to the terms used between Porsche USA and their Dealers when ordering cars. Ex: “Customer Order”, “Allocation” and “Commission Number”.

My first question for any Porsche Dealer I contacted was; "Do you have any current Allocations?" As of today, none of the 28 Porsche Dealers I contacted has any. This lack of an Allocation is important. Not having an Allocation in hand today, means any order you place with a Porsche Dealer at the moment is with the Dealer and has no actual documented connection with or commitment from Porsche USA. Such an order is a legitimate way of doing business on the part of the Porsche Dealer. However the car itself will almost certainly not be delivered to you until the first quarter of 2021 at the earliest. Now, this didn't stop several Porsche Dealers from telling me they did have an Allocation. Or at least they said they had an Allocation up until I actually tried to order a car. As soon as I sat down to place my order, the Allocation all of a sudden disappeared. The story being that it had “just” been taken only a few hours or a day prior. I find this sort of a "Bait and Switch" strategy to be a real problem. On my part, it calls into question anything else the Dealer might tell me in the future. I had three dealers pull this nonsense on me. Most of the Porsche Dealers were straight forward and told me that: A.) They didn't have any allocations at the moment and didn't know exactly when they would. B.) A number of Porsche Dealers said they tried (or would try) to place what they/Porsche USA calls a "Customer Order". Theoretically the point of a "Customer Order" is what essentially amounts to a “request” on the Porsche Dealers part to tell/ask Porsche USA that they have a sold car and were requesting that Porsche USA find a way to give them an Allocation. In order to submit such a "Customer Order" the Porsche Dealers I got this far with wanted between a $2,500 to $5,000 Deposits. To make an otherwise long story short, this process doesn't do anything for you except to tie you to the Dealer. I would suggest that you know who you’re getting married to before you pursue this strategy. FWIW, Porsche USA is not granting any Allocations based on a "Customer Order" at the moment. I had two different Porsche Dealers tell me that they had tried.

As for discounts, the best I was able to get or be offered/negotiated was 3.5% from MSRP (list price). What I’ was offered ranged from no discount to 2%, 2.5% and 3.5%. But even then, the Devil can be in the details. Make sure the Porsche Dealer prints out an itemized summary sheet of "exactly" what you will be writing a check for before you plunk down a deposit. The “Out The Door” (OTD) price is what I’m always most interested in. How a Dealership gets there is their business. What I write a check for is my business. California DMV has an easy to use web site that will tell you exactly what your state fees and taxes are/will be. https://www.dmv.ca.gov/wasapp/FeeCal...28805739626746.

FWIW, I also used "Yelp" to review what others had to say about any dealer that was in Southern California. I like to see lots and lots of reviews with some detail (that is not repetitive from one review to another) that describes their experience. This tends to minimize the chance that the business or someone they hired generated these on their own.

My final decision was to go with Carlsbad Porsche for several reasons: 1.) Carlsbad Porsche never tried to give me any B.S. about their current allocation situation with Porsche USA. They were 100% honest about what they could and what they could not do and when they could do it. 2.) The "Yelp" reviews for their dealership were plentiful and they were extremely positive both for the sales department and their service department. Only one other Porsche Dealership of the 28, came close to them in this regard. 3.) They matched the best discount I could find anywhere else for a car to be ordered at 3.5%. 4.) The itemized OTD price they provided (in writing) matched what the California DMV site said it should be. Actually they were off by $6 but I'm OK with that level of honesty/accuracy. The salesperson we worked with is/was Santiago Sierra. I would recommend him and Carlsbad Porsche highly. They definitely stood out from the crowd.
Old 02-05-2020, 01:42 PM
Styrofoamboots
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Seems like ~5% is the norm - here's a recent thread on the topic: https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1121...unt-992-a.html
Old 02-05-2020, 01:48 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,412 Likes on 2,516 Posts

For every guy that gets a 5% discount, there needs to be a guy that pays full price. Maybe you're 'that' guy?
The following 5 users liked this post by LexVan:
997usa (06-07-2020), aggie57 (02-05-2020), Domer911 (10-21-2020), markc911 (10-22-2020), NigelPlays (02-05-2020)
Old 02-05-2020, 01:55 PM
992Sam
Three Wheelin'

Received 828 Likes on 460 Posts

Originally Posted by bcayes
Hey All-

In the quest to buy a new 992 S, I'm finding strong resistance from the dealers to providing a decent discount. Maybe I'm too used to buying "normal" cars, but I don't think of 5% as a "good" discount. What do you folks think a "good" discount is for a new 992 S? What have you seen out there from US dealers? Are my expectations out of bounds?

Any help or direction would be appreciated.

My apologies if this is a repeat of any previous topic. I searched for a previous thread that addressed this topic, but didn't get any hits.

Thanks
in the SF Bay Area 5% is a great discount... most aren't offering any, much less 2-3%
The following users liked this post:
detansinn (02-05-2020)
Old 02-05-2020, 02:31 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,493 Likes on 2,822 Posts

5% is solid right now. Could be better, could be worse.
Old 02-05-2020, 02:33 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,164 Likes on 3,016 Posts

Depends entirely upon your geographic area and demand. This is why some folks go to out of state dealers where the dealer may be more willing to bargain.
marcchn1 (07-22-2020)
Old 02-05-2020, 02:34 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,164 Likes on 3,016 Posts

Originally Posted by 992Sam
in the SF Bay Area 5% is a great discount... most aren't offering any, much less 2-3%
Exactly. Consistent with my point.
992Sam (02-05-2020)
Old 02-05-2020, 02:48 PM
HouTexCarreraS
Pro

Received 407 Likes on 230 Posts

I've bought a lot of high end cars over the years and found that the Porsche dealers were the toughest to get a decent discount from. I guess they sell every car they get and act accordingly. As others have said, a 3% - 5% discount is about max--don't even think about asking them for invoice price!
Old 02-05-2020, 03:14 PM
slc4s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,277 Likes on 647 Posts

We had another thread that beat this to death but most "good" deals right now are happening at 4-5% off. A very few outliers that got better deals but it seems like anybody who got more than 5% off had major history/loyalty with their dealers.If youve got it at 5% off take the deal. It won't get much better.
mohawk5010 (09-27-2020)
Old 02-05-2020, 03:15 PM
rangerfan94
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 88 Posts

Are you ordering custom or buying off the lot? You didn't specify, and that makes a big difference.
Old 02-05-2020, 03:22 PM
HouTexCarreraS
Pro

Received 407 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by rangerfan94
Are you ordering custom or buying off the lot? You didn't specify, and that makes a big difference.
I custom ordered at the end of 2019 but a 5% discount was even the best I found for cars in stock. Most dealers didn't have that many 992's yet and were holding them in high regard.
Old 02-05-2020, 03:27 PM
GratedWasabi
Racer

Received 312 Likes on 164 Posts

I've contacted over 15 different Porsche dealerships across the US and can attest that you should jump at a 5% discount. Most are offering either no discount, a flat $1,500, or 2-3%.

Most allocations are being filled so there just isn't a reason for dealerships to offer a higher discount, unless you're a long time, high value customer. Even then I'm skeptical of anything higher than 5%.
The following 2 users liked this post by GratedWasabi:
992Sam (02-06-2020), Vintage72 (07-21-2020)
Old 02-05-2020, 04:01 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,493 Likes on 2,822 Posts

Originally Posted by slc4s
We had another thread that beat this to death but most "good" deals right now are happening at 4-5% off. A very few outliers that got better deals but it seems like anybody who got more than 5% off had major history/loyalty with their dealers.If youve got it at 5% off take the deal. It won't get much better.
That's been my experience.
Old 02-05-2020, 04:28 PM
Wade992
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

just bought base 992 with 5% discount. Had to go out of town but dealer is shipping for free.
Old 02-05-2020, 06:00 PM
COLT601
Instructor

Received 277 Likes on 49 Posts

I got 7% off a C4S last month off without having any dealer history or ever ordering a Porsche before.

I called some out of state dealers late in the evening and told whatever sales guy answered the phone, "Hi, do you have an allocation for a C4S? Yes? OK, great. I want to order a one. Here is my build code. My local dealer is only offering me 5% off. If you can give me 7% you have the sale and I will give you a deposit right now."

It worked for me, but YMMV?

I did get the feeling a lot of dealers think people asking for discounts are tire kickers. Being ready and willing to give them $$$ immediately (deposit) helps.

Quick Reply: New 992 Price