Sponsored by:

New 992 Price

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2020, 04:50 PM
craig66
Pro

Received 499 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Metalblond
One of my favorite lines is "you don't get what you deserve...you get what you negotiate".
Agreed but interested whether you have negotiated recently.

With no cars coming out of the factory for months, with dealers having almost no cars available at this time they can pretty , and allocations all but gone for this year they can pretty much charge what they want. Yes you can negotiate but that gets you just a reasonable deal not a good deal.

I am a good negotiator but getting more than 5% off of a car at this time, certainly in the NE is very difficult

I have decided for the moment t have fun in my Boxster and next year when the allocations are caught up, the glitches in MY 2020 resolved and just maybe a slow down (as many have already bought) then at that time I will revisit the 992. To pay MSRP -5% for a MY 2020 in August just seems crazy and to put in a build for a 3% discount equally so especially when there is no rush. I will say though that the dealers were salivating over my Boxster almost more than selling me a car. I guess they knew they could sell the car to anyone but a 2018 Boxster was not that easy to find
The following users liked this post:
comis_hq (08-23-2020)
Old 08-22-2020, 04:51 PM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,698 Likes on 1,266 Posts

Originally Posted by txpackers
I plan on ordering sometime in the next 6 - 8 months. I now live in the San Diego area so plan on PEC LA delivery. As such shouldn’t matter what dealer I order from. Any recommendations on dealers offering the best % off on a order?

I always like to give my business to local companies so I will try the local San Diego and Carlsbad dealers and give them a chance. I will order from them if they can get close to something I can get elsewhere. If anyone has a salesperson recommendation from either dealer I’ll take that too.
I saw your post and thought I'd share with you my recent experience when ordering my 2021 C2S.

I personally visited and/or spoke on the phone with and often by email as well, every Porsche Dealer in California, Nevada and Arizona. There are 28 of them. My philosophy has been that if/when I'm spending this much money on a car I want to purchase "exactly" what I want and do not want to compromise by buying something a dealer has on their lot that doesn’t match what I want exactly. For example: Not wanting a sunroof, but wanting the quiet glass and the extended range fuel tank options eliminated anything any dealer presently had in stock.

It pays to educate yourself as to the terms used between Porsche USA and their Dealers when ordering cars. Ex: “Customer Order”, “Allocation” and “Commission Number”.

My first question for any Porsche Dealer I contacted was; "Do you have any current Allocations?" As of today, none of the 28 Porsche Dealers I contacted has any. This lack of an Allocation is important. Not having an Allocation in hand today, means any order you place with a Porsche Dealer at the moment is with the Dealer and has no actual documented connection with or commitment from Porsche USA. Such an order is a legitimate way of doing business on the part of the Porsche Dealer. However the car itself will almost certainly not be delivered to you until the first quarter of 2021 at the earliest. Now, this didn't stop several Porsche Dealers from telling me they did have an Allocation. Or at least they said they had an Allocation up until I actually tried to order a car. As soon as I sat down to place my order, the Allocation all of a sudden disappeared. The story being that it had “just” been taken only a few hours or a day prior. I find this sort of a "Bait and Switch" strategy to be a real problem. On my part, it calls into question anything else the Dealer might tell me in the future. I had three dealers pull this nonsense on me. Most of the Porsche Dealers were straight forward and told me that: A.) They didn't have any allocations at the moment and didn't know exactly when they would. B.) A number of Porsche Dealers said they tried (or would try) to place what they/Porsche USA calls a "Customer Order". Theoretically the point of a "Customer Order" is what essentially amounts to a “request” on the Porsche Dealers part to tell/ask Porsche USA that they have a sold car and were requesting that Porsche USA find a way to give them an Allocation. In order to submit such a "Customer Order" the Porsche Dealers I got this far with wanted between a $2,500 to $5,000 Deposits. To make an otherwise long story short, this process doesn't do anything for you except to tie you to the Dealer. I would suggest that you know who you’re getting married to before you pursue this strategy. FWIW, Porsche USA is not granting any Allocations based on a "Customer Order" at the moment. I had two different Porsche Dealers tell me that they had tried.

As for discounts, the best I was able to get or be offered/negotiated was 3.5% from MSRP (list price). What I’ was offered ranged from no discount to 2%, 2.5% and 3.5%. But even then, the Devil can be in the details. Make sure the Porsche Dealer prints out an itemized summary sheet of "exactly" what you will be writing a check for before you plunk down a deposit. The “Out The Door” (OTD) price is what I’m always most interested in. How a Dealership gets there is their business. What I write a check for is my business. California DMV has an easy to use web site that will tell you exactly what your state fees and taxes are/will be. https://www.dmv.ca.gov/wasapp/FeeCal...28805739626746.

FWIW, I also used "Yelp" to review what others had to say about any dealer that was in Southern California. I like to see lots and lots of reviews with some detail (that is not repetitive from one review to another) that describes their experience. This tends to minimize the chance that the business or someone they hired generated these on their own.

My final decision was to go with Carlsbad Porsche for several reasons: 1.) Carlsbad Porsche never tried to give me any B.S. about their current allocation situation with Porsche USA. They were 100% honest about what they could and what they could not do and when they could do it. 2.) The "Yelp" reviews for their dealership were plentiful and they were extremely positive both for the sales department and their service department. Only one other Porsche Dealership of the 28, came close to them in this regard. 3.) They matched the best discount I could find anywhere else for a car to be ordered at 3.5%. 4.) The itemized OTD price they provided (in writing) matched what the California DMV site said it should be. Actually they were off by $6 but I'm OK with that level of honesty/accuracy. The salesperson we worked with is/was Santiago Sierra. I would recommend him and Carlsbad Porsche highly. They definitely stood out from the crowd.

Last edited by Bluehighways; 08-22-2020 at 04:55 PM.
The following 12 users liked this post by Bluehighways:
ATH (10-19-2020), brucewinter (08-22-2020), craig66 (08-22-2020), Drizz (08-24-2020), mdrobc1213 (08-25-2020), mikey94025 (08-22-2020), neurorad (08-22-2020), rumnyc (08-22-2020), Seacil (08-24-2020), txpackers (08-22-2020), wasabi4 (10-16-2020), Wilsontour (08-24-2020) and 7 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-22-2020, 06:48 PM
txpackers
Racer

Received 304 Likes on 137 Posts

Thanks for the detailed response @Bluehighways . Very helpful. I'll definitely checkout Porsche of Carlsbad.

That is interesting to know how there are no allocations right now. I have plenty of time until I place the order so hopefully they open up more. I wouldn't mind it coming in next Sept. or Oct. as a 2022 model. I like even model year cars for some reason. And no way I want a 2020. I think everyone is ready to forget this year.
Old 08-22-2020, 07:42 PM
WellDressedCar
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 61 Posts

I placed an order on Feb 18 with a March 3 lock date. The pandemic shut down the factory for 3 weeks shortly thereafter, and my order was delayed only one month to the DC area.

When I placed my order, I asked, "Do you have allocation for a C2S?" Porsche Tysons, VA said "Yes," so I said "Can you meet a 6% discount?" They again said, "Yes," and so I gave them my deposit of $2,500 with my build code to start the order.

This was all as COVID was about to get serious, but before anything was shutdown on the East Coast. I don't know of anyone getting big discounts right now. You'll have a to wait a little longer if you want an 8-9% discount (read: post COVID).

Hope that helps.
Old 08-23-2020, 10:08 AM
Master Deep
Rennlist Member

Received 787 Likes on 444 Posts

I recently found a 2021 C2S Cab October allocation after calling 10 dealers. Only 1 dealer had an allocation and the rest either said none expected till Feb-March or flat out said no but they had a base C2 allocation they could get me into.

I called the dealer with an allocation and asked for an OTD price (roughly 2% off) and wired them a 10% deposit that day. Car is a relatively higher spec build than most Cabs I’ve seen.

Salesman then said they’d like me to finance $100,000 and I could pay it off quickly so they can recoup some of the discount they offered me as they normally don’t discount. He did say my deal was not contingent on financing but it would greatly help the dealership. I never finance anything in life so he told me to think about it.

I wanted the car for my birthday and to enjoy our top down weather. I could’ve gotten a better deal but then I’d get the car likely in March just as it’s getting hot out and the love bugs come.

Last edited by Master Deep; 08-23-2020 at 10:11 AM.
mdrobc1213 (08-25-2020)
Old 08-24-2020, 03:43 PM
SurfacePro6
5th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
I saw your post and thought I'd share with you my recent experience when ordering my 2021 C2S.

I personally visited and/or spoke on the phone with and often by email as well, every Porsche Dealer in California, Nevada and Arizona. There are 28 of them. My philosophy has been that if/when I'm spending this much money on a car I want to purchase "exactly" what I want and do not want to compromise by buying something a dealer has on their lot that doesn’t match what I want exactly. For example: Not wanting a sunroof, but wanting the quiet glass and the extended range fuel tank options eliminated anything any dealer presently had in stock.

It pays to educate yourself as to the terms used between Porsche USA and their Dealers when ordering cars. Ex: “Customer Order”, “Allocation” and “Commission Number”.

My first question for any Porsche Dealer I contacted was; "Do you have any current Allocations?" As of today, none of the 28 Porsche Dealers I contacted has any. This lack of an Allocation is important. Not having an Allocation in hand today, means any order you place with a Porsche Dealer at the moment is with the Dealer and has no actual documented connection with or commitment from Porsche USA. Such an order is a legitimate way of doing business on the part of the Porsche Dealer. However the car itself will almost certainly not be delivered to you until the first quarter of 2021 at the earliest. Now, this didn't stop several Porsche Dealers from telling me they did have an Allocation. Or at least they said they had an Allocation up until I actually tried to order a car. As soon as I sat down to place my order, the Allocation all of a sudden disappeared. The story being that it had “just” been taken only a few hours or a day prior. I find this sort of a "Bait and Switch" strategy to be a real problem. On my part, it calls into question anything else the Dealer might tell me in the future. I had three dealers pull this nonsense on me. Most of the Porsche Dealers were straight forward and told me that: A.) They didn't have any allocations at the moment and didn't know exactly when they would. B.) A number of Porsche Dealers said they tried (or would try) to place what they/Porsche USA calls a "Customer Order". Theoretically the point of a "Customer Order" is what essentially amounts to a “request” on the Porsche Dealers part to tell/ask Porsche USA that they have a sold car and were requesting that Porsche USA find a way to give them an Allocation. In order to submit such a "Customer Order" the Porsche Dealers I got this far with wanted between a $2,500 to $5,000 Deposits. To make an otherwise long story short, this process doesn't do anything for you except to tie you to the Dealer. I would suggest that you know who you’re getting married to before you pursue this strategy. FWIW, Porsche USA is not granting any Allocations based on a "Customer Order" at the moment. I had two different Porsche Dealers tell me that they had tried.

As for discounts, the best I was able to get or be offered/negotiated was 3.5% from MSRP (list price). What I’ was offered ranged from no discount to 2%, 2.5% and 3.5%. But even then, the Devil can be in the details. Make sure the Porsche Dealer prints out an itemized summary sheet of "exactly" what you will be writing a check for before you plunk down a deposit. The “Out The Door” (OTD) price is what I’m always most interested in. How a Dealership gets there is their business. What I write a check for is my business. California DMV has an easy to use web site that will tell you exactly what your state fees and taxes are/will be. https://www.dmv.ca.gov/wasapp/FeeCal...28805739626746.

FWIW, I also used "Yelp" to review what others had to say about any dealer that was in Southern California. I like to see lots and lots of reviews with some detail (that is not repetitive from one review to another) that describes their experience. This tends to minimize the chance that the business or someone they hired generated these on their own.

My final decision was to go with Carlsbad Porsche for several reasons: 1.) Carlsbad Porsche never tried to give me any B.S. about their current allocation situation with Porsche USA. They were 100% honest about what they could and what they could not do and when they could do it. 2.) The "Yelp" reviews for their dealership were plentiful and they were extremely positive both for the sales department and their service department. Only one other Porsche Dealership of the 28, came close to them in this regard. 3.) They matched the best discount I could find anywhere else for a car to be ordered at 3.5%. 4.) The itemized OTD price they provided (in writing) matched what the California DMV site said it should be. Actually they were off by $6 but I'm OK with that level of honesty/accuracy. The salesperson we worked with is/was Santiago Sierra. I would recommend him and Carlsbad Porsche highly. They definitely stood out from the crowd.
Thank you that was very thorough. I had a similar experience in the SoCal area. A lot of Base 992 allocations at every dealer. Was told by most that they don't have C2S Coupe PDK by most dealers (there's a difference in allocation between PDK and manual). Some dealers had the tactic to keep you baited with "we are the biggest dealer and can do trades with all other dealers", having Porsche NA change their Base 992 allocation to an S allocation, and they have the allocation until you are ready to do the deal.

Almost all of them are making deals right now with Inventory 992s. I've been told 6% not a problem and other dealers somewhere around there too but I didn't bother pushing or exploring that price even lower because I wanted mine built.

This was 2 weeks ago and I was looking for a Sept allocation for delivery End Nov/Early Dec. Was told they had this until I was about to do the deal and it turned into an Nov allocation because the Sept allocation was already locked and couldn't have configuration changes anymore. Based on timelines I've seen from others, a Sept allocation with lock date during that time might be true, so I'm not sure if that was a bait and switch because no other dealers were telling me that (But I never got that far anyways). Salesperson still told me I could get it by end of Dec but I knew this was a lie because Nov allocation would be a end Jan/early Feb delivery. It's a lie they could play off with the 1 month difference.

As for the price, I got 3% off MSRP however I didn't really get that because they marked up the money factor. I'm sure they would've done the same with the APR for financing. Base MF now seems to be .002 but mine was marked up to .0026 which got them back that 3%. They came down to .0023 and I took that deal. Residual was 60%. I did not expect a porsche dealer to mark it up like that because that's japanese, korean, and american auto dealer tactics. So check your out the door price breakdown and make sure everything looks right.

Also, I read on another Thread that SoCal dealers will rip you off because it's easy money here. Based on my discount, that is true, but others have said that the high prices are from low allocations which in my research is also true. I guess it's going to depend on which trim of the 992 and area as well. The discount and delivery time would've been vastly different if I had gone with a base 992 build. Almost all dealers I called had multiple Sept allocations for base 992 build.

Why I still went with the dealer with these tactics? Only one other dealer had confirmed Nov allocations. Other dealers haven't received their Nov allocations yet. This salesperson was very quick to respond "after checking on things with the Manager" while others either took longer, never got back to me or said I'll give you a call back the next day (I was calling around during noon). And the wife told me surprisingly that this is a gift to myself and to satisfy a stupid urge so just get it done already or I'll be sufferring over this crap and she'll have to hear about it too. Only thing I wasn't sure about was if that allocation was real and if they'll play games at the end of the deal where they'll sell the car to someone else who will pay higher. Whatever papers signed for the deposit is not that official where you are guaranteed a delivery date. If dealer decides they don't care about their reputation, then they can just yank the car and chances of someone suing over that is slim. That's when I did the same as BlueHighways, checked on yelp and there were a lot of reviews and read the negative reviews and there wasn't much. Hope this helps everyone elses search.

BlueHighways, what is the delivery month for your commissioned build? And what allocation month availabilities did you come across in your search?

Last edited by SurfacePro6; 08-24-2020 at 04:00 PM.
Old 08-24-2020, 04:52 PM
Drizz
Racer

Received 221 Likes on 97 Posts

My final decision was to go with Carlsbad Porsche.
Congrats on the order!

My only experience with Carlsbad Porsche was in 2007 and I always remember it cause it was a unique situation for multiple reasons. First, the SA I dealt with was terrible. I was in my mid-20s looking to buy a Cayman and I don't know if it was my age or what, but the guy was all BS and wouldn't even let me test drive the car. I told him how ridiculous that was and then walked right out. I was parked pretty far off and just as I was finally at my car I heard someone yelling...looked back and saw a guy waving his arms and literally running toward me yelling something about holding on a moment. It was the dealership GM, who was super apologetic for the way the SA had treated me and asked to please give me a few minutes to be able to win over my business. I went back in, dealt w/ the GM one-on-one, and had a very positive experience (including a full test drive with him). I wanted a really steep discount and he ultimately told me he couldn't quite meet it, so we parted ways.

Fast forward a week and the GM calls me up, saying that he's willing to give me the price I wanted if still interested. Told him I would come over after work to do the deal. So, after work I drove off to head to the dealer and buy my first Porsche. On the way there I passed BMW of Encinitas and, out of the corner of my eye, spotted a brand new Z4 M Coupe still covered in white delivery stickers/packaging. Love the M Coupe, so I made a quick U-turn and stopped in. They gave me a test drive and I absolutely loved it. Told them my situation (how I was literally on the way to buy the Porsche), and how the Porsche was pretty much exactly the same MSRP. Said if they matched the deal I would buy the BMW, which they did. Bought that M Coupe and loved every day of it. What a purist machine. To this day I wished I had held on to it. Seen recently they're actually selling for more than I got rid of it for 10 years ago.

Anyway, long story short...stupid SA at Carlsbad but ultimately worked with the GM who was really great! Felt bad calling him to say I bought something else on the way to his dealership.
Old 08-24-2020, 05:54 PM
dj997
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

Go see Elvis at Porsche Southbay
Bluehighways (08-25-2020)
Old 08-25-2020, 04:46 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 849 Likes on 466 Posts

Very informative and detailed and glad you got a car it sounds like. One thing you didn't explain...what commission number is to the fellow forum members.

I too looked at what was avail an asked my dealer to pull all nationwide cars meeting my specs/options. Gladly did so and sent me 10-15 cars that had some of the options I wanted but none which had them all...two deal breakers were color (none had my primary choice) and were manuals or were prohibitively expensive will options I didn't want nor would not need that just bumped price of the car up $10-20k more than needed. After 5 Carrera's ranging from 996 to my most recent 991 I know what I wanted so was committed to ordering the car as I wanted. So placed my order=customer order as the allocation my dealer had was taken the day prior by another sales advisor for an ordered car for another customer [wasn't BS as my SA showed me the system and when it was placed and all of their allocations in the system while we went over my order in person]. Wasn't mad in that I had delayed putting in my order a bit while I tried to work pricing so that is the business. Placed order on Sat and my SA said he'd get allocations for Q4 2020 next week and as expected they did. Lucky for me my SA was able to trade for a 992S allocation a week later when they got their allocations with another dealer so I got my car and commission #. Only bad side lock date was within a week of getting the allocation trade from another dealer so I had to be sure of my options/choices pretty quickly. But otherwise yes whole thing went a-lot as you noted above and it does help to know what the difference in terms and what dealers can do and Porsche will let them! .

Originally Posted by SurfacePro6
Thank you that was very thorough. I had a similar experience in the SoCal area. A lot of Base 992 allocations at every dealer. Was told by most that they don't have C2S Coupe PDK by most dealers (there's a difference in allocation between PDK and manual). Some dealers had the tactic to keep you baited with "we are the biggest dealer and can do trades with all other dealers", having Porsche NA change their Base 992 allocation to an S allocation, and they have the allocation until you are ready to do the deal.

Almost all of them are making deals right now with Inventory 992s. I've been told 6% not a problem and other dealers somewhere around there too but I didn't bother pushing or exploring that price even lower because I wanted mine built.

This was 2 weeks ago and I was looking for a Sept allocation for delivery End Nov/Early Dec. Was told they had this until I was about to do the deal and it turned into an Nov allocation because the Sept allocation was already locked and couldn't have configuration changes anymore. Based on timelines I've seen from others, a Sept allocation with lock date during that time might be true, so I'm not sure if that was a bait and switch because no other dealers were telling me that (But I never got that far anyways). Salesperson still told me I could get it by end of Dec but I knew this was a lie because Nov allocation would be a end Jan/early Feb delivery. It's a lie they could play off with the 1 month difference.

As for the price, I got 3% off MSRP however I didn't really get that because they marked up the money factor. I'm sure they would've done the same with the APR for financing. Base MF now seems to be .002 but mine was marked up to .0026 which got them back that 3%. They came down to .0023 and I took that deal. Residual was 60%. I did not expect a porsche dealer to mark it up like that because that's japanese, korean, and american auto dealer tactics. So check your out the door price breakdown and make sure everything looks right.

Also, I read on another Thread that SoCal dealers will rip you off because it's easy money here. Based on my discount, that is true, but others have said that the high prices are from low allocations which in my research is also true. I guess it's going to depend on which trim of the 992 and area as well. The discount and delivery time would've been vastly different if I had gone with a base 992 build. Almost all dealers I called had multiple Sept allocations for base 992 build.

Why I still went with the dealer with these tactics? Only one other dealer had confirmed Nov allocations. Other dealers haven't received their Nov allocations yet. This salesperson was very quick to respond "after checking on things with the Manager" while others either took longer, never got back to me or said I'll give you a call back the next day (I was calling around during noon). And the wife told me surprisingly that this is a gift to myself and to satisfy a stupid urge so just get it done already or I'll be sufferring over this crap and she'll have to hear about it too. Only thing I wasn't sure about was if that allocation was real and if they'll play games at the end of the deal where they'll sell the car to someone else who will pay higher. Whatever papers signed for the deposit is not that official where you are guaranteed a delivery date. If dealer decides they don't care about their reputation, then they can just yank the car and chances of someone suing over that is slim. That's when I did the same as BlueHighways, checked on yelp and there were a lot of reviews and read the negative reviews and there wasn't much. Hope this helps everyone elses search.

BlueHighways, what is the delivery month for your commissioned build? And what allocation month availabilities did you come across in your search?
Yes not a-lot of open allocations out there. All cars now are FY21's BTW. Also one clarification point here...there is NO difference between Carrera S 992 PDK and Manual allocations to Porsche in the system. Both are built on same line and manual is actually a PDK transmission with modification to allow manual 7 speed gear selector/control. No major differences other than manual LDS. Issue arises is that Porsche has decided NOT to produce a manual in base form this iteration of the Carrera. So you just cannot get a manual 992 base car; IF one wants a manual then only a Carrera S allocation can be used..otherwise its just an option configuration choice by the buyer inputed by your SA into Porsche's ordering system. Good luck with your orders guys!
Bluehighways (08-25-2020)
Old 08-25-2020, 05:23 PM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,698 Likes on 1,266 Posts

Originally Posted by dj997
Go see Elvis at Porsche Southbay
I did and Thank You! Build Date is September 11. Present Vehicle Status is V210 (Locked).
Old 08-25-2020, 05:58 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,894 Likes on 1,525 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrobc1213
Also one clarification point here...there is NO difference between Carrera S 992 PDK and Manual allocations to Porsche in the system.
That is my understanding as well, as in there is no such thing as a 'manual' or a 'PDK' allocation. Rather it's an option in the same way as leather, PSE etc.

Old 09-26-2020, 05:54 AM
3uros
Rennlist Member

Received 372 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by SurfacePro6

I initially started looking late Spring for a custom order Base 992 and reached out to several SoCal dealerships but not all. Mostly all had a fall allocation for a Base C2 with a fall delivery. All agreed to a 5% discount. I decided to postpone my purchase as my industry is heavily reliant on the commercial aerospace business and we all see where that's going in the short term.
Old 09-26-2020, 04:04 PM
Gentian21
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 106 Posts

7 percent is a good discount. I doubt you'll get much more than that. 911's are in short supply, and the demand is high.
Old 09-26-2020, 04:05 PM
9114SCV
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Anyone have any insight on where I can get 7% in the mid-atlantic?
Old 09-26-2020, 04:10 PM
Gentian21
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 106 Posts

7 percent is a good discount. I doubt you'll get much more than that. 911's are in short supply, and the demand is high.
ssiminou (09-26-2020)

Quick Reply: New 992 Price