Sponsored by:

Battery Tender for 992

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2019, 06:49 PM
Potsy
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Post Battery Tender for 992

Looking for opinions and advice with which battery maintainer is best for winter storage.......Deltran 12v Battery Tender vs. CTEK vs Porsche Charge-O-Mat....or other preferred options.

The 992 doesn't have a cigarette lighter for an easy hook up. And I'm not yet sure if the leads are big enough on the battery tender attachment.

(Sorry if you saw this post in the general discussion post already....didn't notice the 992 subcategory in this Water Cooled section.)
Old 12-01-2019, 06:52 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,402 Likes on 2,513 Posts

CTek is a quality product at a good value.
The following users liked this post:
Sajan (01-16-2020)
Old 12-01-2019, 09:56 PM
Carrera-T
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 239 Posts

I use a Deltran Battery Tender on my 2019 Carrera T. Very simple. Open the front hood. Remove the black trim cowling, connective the negative to the grounding post on the drivers side and the positive to the red post on the battery. Route the wire through the vented slots in the black plastic, wire exits up toward the windshield where there is a cutout area and carefully lower the hood and plug in.

Works great - assume it would be very similar on the 992.
Potsy (12-01-2019)
Old 12-01-2019, 10:54 PM
PistolPete
Drifting

Received 124 Likes on 53 Posts

Does you 992 have Rear Wheel steering? If so you have a Lithium battery and need a lithium specific tender.
Old 12-02-2019, 12:10 AM
992carreraS
Instructor

Received 128 Likes on 66 Posts

I bought the Porsche brand unit, as it comes with a cigar type plug, that can be plugged into the interior of the car. On the passenger side, in the foot well, left side, way up front, there is a socket where the charger plugs into. I haven't used mine yet, but plan to this month.
The following 2 users liked this post by 992carreraS:
M3Inline6 (06-09-2021), Potsy (12-02-2019)
Old 12-04-2019, 08:19 AM
got2go
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 39 Posts

Is there a specific CTEK model # that someone has experience with for the Li ion battery? There is a recommended current maximum for most Li automotive batteries and a lot of options on most battery tender websites.
Old 12-06-2019, 09:35 AM
PBM
Instructor

Received 123 Likes on 72 Posts

I am using the CTEK Lithium XS since last month when weather started to get 'orrible . I hard wired in the eyelets on battery , so when I put car away just pop one side of the cover , push on connector and run the cable thru gap of the closed front lid ( wire has enough room ) I considered pulling through the cover but didn't want live end on the "wet" side of the car ( even if it does have a rubber seal cap)
Takes a minute to pop the lid, unplug, re-seat cover and close lid to go . Glad I did now, as I only really use at weekend and if car is put away and then the weekend is a wash, I don't have battery anxiety when I end up not using ....while systems like the Porsche VTS gentry drain my battery in the cold.

Last edited by PBM; 12-09-2019 at 04:26 AM. Reason: spelling
got2go (12-06-2019)
Old 12-06-2019, 09:53 AM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 452 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by got2go
Is there a specific CTEK model # that someone has experience with for the Li ion battery? There is a recommended current maximum for most Li automotive batteries and a lot of options on most battery tender websites.
My preference would be this one
https://antigravitybatteries.com/pro...ek-lithium-us/
got2go (12-06-2019)
Old 12-06-2019, 08:31 PM
got2go
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 39 Posts

Thanks to you and PBM for the help.
Old 12-08-2019, 10:04 PM
NCheok
Rennlist Member

Received 772 Likes on 453 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Potsy
Looking for opinions and advice with which battery maintainer is best for winter storage.......Deltran 12v Battery Tender vs. CTEK vs Porsche Charge-O-Mat....or other preferred options.

The 992 doesn't have a cigarette lighter for an easy hook up.
992 doesn't have an interior 12V port?

I wouldn't bother with the Porsche branded CTEK, it really is an obsolete 4-stage charger by all measures that is simply overpriced especially when CTEK chargers around the $80 - $100 mark are all great value for money in comparison and have better features and capabilities.

Originally Posted by got2go
CTEK Lithium Ion CTEK Lithium Ion
Charger

CTEK Non-Lithium CTEK Non-Lithium
Charger

CTEK Extended Cables CTEK Extended Cables
for easier charging setups

CTEK 12V CTEK 12V
Cigarette Socket Plug & Play connector which matches all of their chargers with the "Comfort Connect" setups
The following 2 users liked this post by NCheok:
vg247 (02-05-2023), wdr911 (12-08-2019)
Old 12-08-2019, 11:48 PM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

Received 1,627 Likes on 782 Posts

Originally Posted by PistolPete
Does you 992 have Rear Wheel steering? If so you have a Lithium battery and need a lithium specific tender.
BTW, all 992s for "cold regions" including Canada purportedly have the Lithium batteries, even if they don't have RWS. Maybe Canadian 992 owners can confirm.

NigelPlays (01-14-2020)
Old 01-14-2020, 07:51 PM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

Is it bad form replying to my own post lol?

Anyway, Service Manager at my local dealer has confirmed that ALL 992s he's received/PDI'd - whether with RWS or not, have Lithium batteries. Nice "bonus" for Canadian (and Russian et al) buyers.
NigelPlays (01-14-2020)
Old 01-14-2020, 10:44 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Received 367 Likes on 176 Posts

This is interesting. The 9Y0 Cayenne was Porsche's first foray into Lithium Iron (LiFePO4) batteries. Note the battery is not Lithium Ion, the type that resides in many laptops and mobile phones. LiFePO4 batteries are much more stable; far more expensive; and much less apt to catch fire in the garage and burn your whole damned house down.

If the 992 comes standard with this type of battery, here's hoping the battery-protection circuitry present in the 9Y0 to keep the four-figure thing from being drained down (and damaged irreparably) by the heavy at-rest electrical draw in modern cars doesn't misfire badly in the new 911 like it does in the Cayenne. There have been a relatively large number of completely dead, no-start conditions in the 9Y0. When that happens, you can't just jump the car and get it running again. A gateway unit under the driver's seat needs to be reset, which of course in fine Porsche fashion requires the entire seat to be removed. Hello, flatbed tow-truck from the steakhouse where you'd taken your family out for a nice dinner. Some were considered unfixable by PCNA and resulted in buybacks. If you're interested in reading, go here: https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...-to-start.html.

As for ours, no problems after a year. So far we've been nothing more than lucky. I would personally prefer a nice, heavy, old-tech 12V lead-acid battery sitting in my 992 when I take delivery. That probably won't happen, from what you fellas are reporting.

Porsche seems to be a great company to reinvent and ruin perfectly operable, cost-effective technologies. See simple ***** and buttons; cheap, reliable batteries; and in the case of PSCB, reasonably quiet ultra-performance brakes. It's like they've never heard of long-term QA and testing.
Old 01-14-2020, 11:25 PM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JCWLS3
This is interesting. The 9Y0 Cayenne was Porsche's first foray into Lithium Iron (LiFePO4) batteries. Note the battery is not Lithium Ion, the type that resides in many laptops and mobile phones. LiFePO4 batteries are much more stable; far more expensive; and much less apt to catch fire in the garage and burn your whole damned house down.

If the 992 comes standard with this type of battery, here's hoping the battery-protection circuitry present in the 9Y0 to keep the four-figure thing from being drained down (and damaged irreparably) by the heavy at-rest electrical draw in modern cars doesn't misfire badly in the new 911 like it does in the Cayenne. There have been a relatively large number of completely dead, no-start conditions in the 9Y0. When that happens, you can't just jump the car and get it running again. A gateway unit under the driver's seat needs to be reset, which of course in fine Porsche fashion requires the entire seat to be removed. Hello, flatbed tow-truck from the steakhouse where you'd taken your family out for a nice dinner. Some were considered unfixable by PCNA and resulted in buybacks. If you're interested in reading, go here: https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...-to-start.html.

As for ours, no problems after a year. So far we've been nothing more than lucky. I would personally prefer a nice, heavy, old-tech 12V lead-acid battery sitting in my 992 when I take delivery. That probably won't happen, from what you fellas are reporting.

Porsche seems to be a great company to reinvent and ruin perfectly operable, cost-effective technologies. See simple ***** and buttons; cheap, reliable batteries; and in the case of PSCB, reasonably quiet ultra-performance brakes. It's like they've never heard of long-term QA and testing.
My understanding is that unless you have RAS on your 992, U.S. cars come with lead-acid battery...only the "cold climate" countries get LiFePO4 standard.
vg247 (02-05-2023)
Old 01-14-2020, 11:40 PM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JCWLS3
If you're interested in reading, go here: https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...-to-start.html.
Good read JCWLS3 ... thanks for providing the link.

Quick Reply: Battery Tender for 992