Sponsored by:

Battery Tender for 992

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2021, 04:53 PM
nyca
Drifting

Received 935 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxFag
I checked the serial number of your battery, and I am pretty sure that it is a lead acid battery.
You will find a picture of the LFP battery in this thread (I found it after asking here):
https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1165917-battery.html
Was that confusion ever resolved? It seems that the sticker on the bracket always says the battery is Lithium Ion, when in reality most of the C2/C2S cars in the US, have a regular lead acid battery. You are going to need a battery maintainer that has a LiOn mode if in reality you have such a battery in your car.
Old 06-07-2021, 05:27 PM
TRIPLEBLK1
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 88 Posts

I have a brand new CTEK LITHIUM US Charger/Maintainer for sale, never out of the box. Bought this before my 992 C2S arrived expecting the car to have a Lithium battery, alas it had an AGM battery in it so I am selling this one.

$80.00 plus shipping (Cost me $110.00)

Last edited by TRIPLEBLK1; 06-07-2021 at 05:56 PM.
Old 06-07-2021, 08:07 PM
nyca
Drifting

Originally Posted by TRIPLEBLK1
I have a brand new CTEK LITHIUM US Charger/Maintainer for sale, never out of the box. Bought this before my 992 C2S arrived expecting the car to have a Lithium battery, alas it had an AGM battery in it so I am selling this one.

$80.00 plus shipping (Cost me $110.00)

Doesn't this charger with the lithium mode, also have a "normal" mode for AGM and traditional batteries? It's not exclusively a lithium charger, is it?
Old 06-07-2021, 08:09 PM
nyca
Drifting

Brings up another question - if you do have a lithium battery in the car, do you need a special jump starter device for it? Most of the jumper starter devices I see (NOCO, etc) seem to indicate they only work on lead/acid batteries.

Frankly, given all these twists and turns, cost for replacement, etc - I think I would prefer a car that came with a traditional lead-acid/AGM battery.
Old 06-07-2021, 09:28 PM
YYC992MT
AutoX

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I confirm that my 2021 C2S without RAS has LiPo battery, dealer provided Porsche charger and alligator cables as part of sale
Old 06-07-2021, 11:10 PM
ddelallata
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by YYC992MT
I confirm that my 2021 C2S without RAS has LiPo battery, dealer provided Porsche charger and alligator cables as part of sale
what is your vehicle’s build date ? How did you confirm it had a lithium battery? Actual battery markings or bracket decal?
Old 06-07-2021, 11:15 PM
nyca
Drifting

Originally Posted by ddelallata
what is your vehicle’s build date ? How did you confirm it had a lithium battery? Actual battery markings or bracket decal?
He's in Canada, so it makes sense that his car has it because its a cold climate country.
Old 06-07-2021, 11:29 PM
YYC992MT
AutoX

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Build date was April 23/2021. there is a LiPo sticker on the battery. The bracket decal is the same for all batteries, just a caution notice.
The following users liked this post:
vg247 (02-05-2023)
Old 06-08-2021, 12:15 AM
BCA01
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by nyca
Doesn't this charger with the lithium mode, also have a "normal" mode for AGM and traditional batteries? It's not exclusively a lithium charger, is it?
I had that charger when I had my 2019 Cayenne and I believe it only charges the LiFePO4 batteries. I could be wrong.

Frankly, given all these twists and turns, cost for replacement, etc - I think I would prefer a car that came with a traditional lead-acid/AGM battery.
Yep. I passed on RAS on my 992 for this exact reason. Wanted AGM battery after nightmare with the fancy battery on my former Cayenne...

Old 06-08-2021, 03:08 PM
TRIPLEBLK1
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 88 Posts

This CTEK charger is ONLY for Lithium batteries!
Old 06-08-2021, 03:42 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,014 Likes on 571 Posts

Brings up another question - if you do have a lithium battery in the car, do you need a special jump starter device for it? Most of the jumper starter devices I see (NOCO, etc) seem to indicate they only work on lead/acid batteries.

To answer your question in some circumstance they dont want you to hook up a jump starter directly to the terminals of a Lithium Battery because there is a Circuit Board called a BMS Battery Management system inside the Lithium Battery itself, but additionally there is an IBS Intelligent Battery Sensor attached to the Lead/Acid Batteries Terminals. So you would want to make sure you connect to the Postive and then the Grounding post rather than the Negative Terminal of the Lithium or Lead Batteries themselves just to keep from somehow damaging and sensitive components inside the IBS or BMS...

WE make a Harness Kit for our XP-10 Jump Starter 9 which also works on some other brands, but not NOCO) that you can connect to you battery so that you can jump start, or in the case you over-discharge the Lithium Battery, or Lead/Acid Battery in your car you can still get into the frunk by energizing the battery Terminals where you connect this Harness too. So you don't need to get into the Fuse Box and mess around with trying to connect a Jump Box in that area. So it much simpler but also allows you to Jump Start the Car also.

This Harness allows you to Plug in our Mini Jump Starter and not need to access the Cars Battery itself since the Harness is routed out to the edge of the Windshield. You simply plug this harness into the Mini Jump Starter and your car will be Energized which then allows you to open the frunk or jump start the Car. There are a few options of this Harness that fit some other brands of the Mini Jump Starters, but with a Modern Porsche like the 992s you want about 16,000 millamp Jump Starters or more, that is why we suggest they XP-10.

Antigravity XP-10 Mini Jump STarter >>>https://antigravitybatteries.com/pro...-starts/xp-10/

Antigravity Harness Kit for Clampless Jump Starting and unlocking the frunk.... https://antigravitybatteries.com/pro...s-msa10b-long/

The following 2 users liked this post by Antigravity:
BrianFreeman (08-17-2023), doug_999 (08-07-2021)
Old 06-11-2021, 06:37 PM
kpblade
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Antigravity
To answer your question in some circumstance they dont want you to hook up a jump starter directly to the terminals of a Lithium Battery because there is a Circuit Board called a BMS Battery Management system inside the Lithium Battery itself, but additionally there is an IBS Intelligent Battery Sensor attached to the Lead/Acid Batteries Terminals. So you would want to make sure you connect to the Postive and then the Grounding post rather than the Negative Terminal of the Lithium or Lead Batteries themselves just to keep from somehow damaging and sensitive components inside the IBS or BMS...

WE make a Harness Kit for our XP-10 Jump Starter 9 which also works on some other brands, but not NOCO) that you can connect to you battery so that you can jump start, or in the case you over-discharge the Lithium Battery, or Lead/Acid Battery in your car you can still get into the frunk by energizing the battery Terminals where you connect this Harness too. So you don't need to get into the Fuse Box and mess around with trying to connect a Jump Box in that area. So it much simpler but also allows you to Jump Start the Car also.

This Harness allows you to Plug in our Mini Jump Starter and not need to access the Cars Battery itself since the Harness is routed out to the edge of the Windshield. You simply plug this harness into the Mini Jump Starter and your car will be Energized which then allows you to open the frunk or jump start the Car. There are a few options of this Harness that fit some other brands of the Mini Jump Starters, but with a Modern Porsche like the 992s you want about 16,000 millamp Jump Starters or more, that is why we suggest they XP-10.

Antigravity XP-10 Mini Jump STarter >>>https://antigravitybatteries.com/pro...-starts/xp-10/

Antigravity Harness Kit for Clampless Jump Starting and unlocking the frunk.... https://antigravitybatteries.com/pro...s-msa10b-long/

So I just received my XP-10 HD. I have the RAS with Li battery. Based on the owner's manual and what you reference above, you should use the battery's positive post and the chassis ground post for jump starting to "protect" the battery's internal circuit board. The unit's included alligator clamps are not long enough to span the length between the two posts. If you don't use the hardwire harness, what would be the recommended procedure for the XP-10 to jump start the vehicle?
Old 06-11-2021, 10:42 PM
nyca
Drifting

The posts on the LiOn car battery are further apart from each other than the AGM battery?
Old 06-11-2021, 11:02 PM
kpblade
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 71 Posts

The posts on the LiOn car battery are further apart from each other than the AGM battery?
The battery dimensions and posts should be similar, but the manual recommends attaching the jumper clamps to the Positive battery post (which is on the passenger side of the battery) and the negative clamp to the chassis ground post which is near the driver's side suspension point (not the battery negative post).
The following users liked this post:
KLOC (07-27-2021)
Old 08-06-2021, 12:40 PM
garthg
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 151 Posts

Costco had a two-pack of Duracell branded 4A automatic maintainers. I think it was $80 for two. They have a lithium-ion setting (might be auto-sensing).
I've been using them on my wife's car and a motorcycle for a year with no issues. They come with both clamps and pigtail harness with fuses.

Quick Reply: Battery Tender for 992