Sponsored By:

2019 Cayenne fails to start

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 08:22 PM
LMB
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 2019 Cayenne fails to start

Hello, I am a new member and five time Cayenne owner. I have not found any mention of my problem in this discussion board. If I just did not see it, I am sorry. About three weeks after delivery it acted as if the battery was completely dead. I progressed from thinking it was not reading the key fob to inoperable emergency starting instructions in the owners manual. Porsche Roadside sent two battery jumpers and both encountered the same result. The car would not accept the charge or jump as the manual indicated it would. The only remedy was to flat bed to the dealer. I understand there are other Cayennes with this same problem. There is a service advisory and Porsche Germany is analyzing my Cayenne output readings. I could go on with more details but believe I should leave the first post here. I hope I am not out of order. This is by far the most serious problem I have encountered with a Cayenne, Macon, or 911. I would like to know if anyone out there has any knowledge of this problem. Thank you!
Old 01-25-2019, 10:36 PM
zelement
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by LMB
Hello, I am a new member and five time Cayenne owner. I have not found any mention of my problem in this discussion board. If I just did not see it, I am sorry. About three weeks after delivery it acted as if the battery was completely dead. I progressed from thinking it was not reading the key fob to inoperable emergency starting instructions in the owners manual. Porsche Roadside sent two battery jumpers and both encountered the same result. The car would not accept the charge or jump as the manual indicated it would. The only remedy was to flat bed to the dealer. I understand there are other Cayennes with this same problem. There is a service advisory and Porsche Germany is analyzing my Cayenne output readings. I could go on with more details but believe I should leave the first post here. I hope I am not out of order. This is by far the most serious problem I have encountered with a Cayenne, Macon, or 911. I would like to know if anyone out there has any knowledge of this problem. Thank you!
Sorry to hear about your problem. However, I did notice that the other day when I got in the car to start it, the instrumental display read something about an electrical malfunction. I just ignored it and car started and drove fine. The message displayed for a few seconds and disappeared. I hope it doesn't progress to anything else...
Old 01-25-2019, 10:55 PM
LMB
Advanced

I had no warning messages. Instrument panel came on when door opened. PCM blank. Key worked fine for operating everything except starting. When dummy key in dash turned nothing happened.

Owners manual shows how to emergency start and this did not work. It appeared as if the jumping battery was not making contact. Porsche said this was ok and just keep the the battery connected for about 15 minutes and it would start even if it appeared not to make contact. They were wrong on this one.

The real problem for me here is not that there was a failure, but there was a failure and the only remedy was flatbed to dealer. That is plain not safe as I could be anywhere and have it fail.

I hope you do not encounter the failure.
Old 01-26-2019, 02:50 AM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Received 365 Likes on 176 Posts

I am sorry to read this. How disappointing for you!

You mentioned the PCM being blank, but the dash and door locks operating. Am I reading right? If so, it sounds like a failure of the PCM as a whole, rather than the usual battery / starter / alternator.

Please post your dealer’s findings when you have them. Is your car U.S.?

Best of luck to you. In my case, our Turbo is my wife’s DD. Strand me and I’ll be pissed off, but might get over it. But leave my wife helpless and you’ll have a damn-near impossible time bringing me back, Porsche.
Old 01-26-2019, 09:04 AM
LMB
Advanced

I am in the US. Dealer has had the car since Tuesday. It is running but Porsche wanted to keep it at least until this coming week. When I am north the dealer is 75 miles away. The 2019 has a special start only lithium battery. If the voltage varies ever so slightly the car removes this battery from the circuit. The only way it can be "Woken up" is to jump it or charge it - But this did not work. The car has been out of service for 10 days at this point. I have a Macan as well so this does not have to be DD. We do frequently need the larger car to transport my Mother in law and wheel chair. We do travel 1150 miles between homes and reliability is very important.

I would like to add that the dealer has been on this from first notification and keeps me updated. A loaner Macan was sent to me when the flatbed came to pick up the Cayenne. Porsche Roadside sent a flatbed but I felt they did not have the proper equipment so they allowed me to use my own choice for the towing company (Run by my Son) and that company did a perfect job. There were a few points that did not follow the text book and they were handled perfectly and calmly. I never wanted the car towed but finally had no choice.

I have learned more than I ever wanted to know at this point but good knowledge to have.

Thank you for your response.
Old 01-27-2019, 01:46 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

One of the reasons we felt comfortable going with our Cayenne Turbo as our first P-car over an X5M or AMG-Mercedes SUV is Porsche's superior reputation for quality and reliability. I have NEVER seen a Porsche on the side of the road that I can recall, except maybe one that was 25 years old and an obvious beater, or for a flat tire. But I've seen a number of newer BMWs and Mercs being loaded for the Long Ride Home. Please do keep us updated on the details of your car. I'd like to hear everything.

I am curious now about a related thing you can help us with. What was the procedure used to get your dead Cayenne on the flatbed? You mentioned your son owns a towing company, if I read things correctly. What do he do right that the other, Porsche-supplied towing company did wrong? I'd like to know specifics -- how you get the car into Neutral if it's dead, for example. Or how to release the parking brake, or the steering lock.

I hope I'll never need to use this info. But I'd like to have it in my back pocket just case the worst happens, so I'm not trying learn what to do and educate the tow truck driver at the same time.

Best regards -- I wish you the best of luck on getting your car back in tip-top, super-reliable shape.
Old 01-27-2019, 03:32 PM
LMB
Advanced

Driver was mature and very experienced.

Preparation. The driver's first stop was the dealer to pick up a loaner to bring to me and to see what he would face when he arrived at my home. He saw how to unlock the transmission and how to hook. He was also given the Dealer Tech's phone number in case he needed any assistance once on the job.

My car was in the garage (luckily) so GoJaks were used to gently lift all tires and roll the car (still locked trans) out and turn it ready to go on flatbed.

The car was hooked. This did not go as textbook. It seemed as all the points driver was shown to hook were covered with some aerodynamic like covering. He went to the spare tire compartment and pulled out a hook to attach to the front end. Hook now secure.

He now unlocked the transmission and one wheel was a little troublesome unlocking but finally unlocked. Could tell car was out of park from instrument panel and
parking brake light was off. Front wheels were free to turn.

The owners Manuel does go over these items and the key to unlock the transmission is red and on top of spare tire.

I think the two companies sent by Porsche were ok to jump. They had no GoJaks even though I and the dealer asked Porsche to send a company with them.

I am really not certain that either of the first two dealers had much , if any, experience with a Porsche.

THE REAL PROBLEM HERE IS THAT A JUMP START SHOULD HAVE DONE THE TRICK ACCORDING TO PORSCHE AND OWNERS MANUAL.

I really dreaded the flatbed but as there became no other option, as Porsche nor the dealer would send a Tech, I had no choice. With planning and care, and calmness, it turned out quite fine.

I hope this helps and you never have need to use it.
Old 01-27-2019, 04:35 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Excellent advice and very helpful. Thank you!

I choose to believe that your car is an anomaly. You will be back on the road soon, with your Cayenne’s disablement a distant mempry.
Old 01-27-2019, 05:59 PM
LMB
Advanced

Although I hope you are correct, I do know indirectly that there are others. How many, I do not know. This is not exactly something Porsche wants to shout about.

I am concerned that no real definite cause might be found. It appears to be software or a particular software /hardware combination.

I think the idea of the Li battery taking itself out of service might be ok and good. It is not dead, or even low, but just conserving as something might be pulling on it. It should show a warning message the next time you get in the car. You should be able to press a button or give it some communication to reconnect, and start. Then get to your dealer.

The idea of it going offline at a small twitch and have to be towed into a dealer to get started is absolutely asinine IMHO.

I hope not, but believe there may be other Cayennes out there that have just not hit the combo of circumstances that ignites this problem.

I thought long and hard about keeping this problem to my self, but I think it only fair to share in hope of helping even one person out. I spent a lot of time and effort getting to the understanding of this incident.

On another note, This is my fifth Cayenne (follows MB, BMW, RR) and I only drive Porsches. This one (not allowing for the poor programming of many of the electronics) is fantastic to drive and finally meets my expectations in that area. I hope updates will come on the electronics!

Enjoy yours!
Old 01-27-2019, 10:22 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

The first night we brought our Turbo home, the PCM literally blue-screened (solid cyan blue from edge to edge) while programming Homelink. No amount of restarting or waiting would bring it back to life. The rest of the car, including the gauge cluster, operated normally.

I was so ticked off at the thought of dragging the thing back to the dealer less than 24 hours after bringing it home, I grabbed a 10mm socket and disconnected the negative battery terminal in the passenger footwell to force a hard restart. Waited 30 seconds, reconnected and hopped in the driver’s side. Car started normally, and the PCM screen came back to life. Problem has not returned. Had to reprogram all our settings, of course.

We left the car at our dealer this week to replace a poorly installed rear seal that whistled when the rear active aero was deployed. I told them to run a full hardware / software diagnostic. Of course everything came back clean. Our service adviser said he’d contact us as soon as the next PCM update is released. No ETA.

In the meantime, I have stored said socket wrench in the car. Will it help in a no-start situation such as yours? I have no idea. It sure won’t hurt.

I am missing 25 years of Japanese quality. But oh, the drive...
Old 01-27-2019, 10:41 PM
LMB
Advanced

Interesting. I don't think you say but I am assuming your car started OK during this whole time for you? Just the PCM panel failed? The dealer said they did a "reset on the Gateway" to get it started. That may equate to your hard start!

This is a good piece of information. I will check into it further. I will be carrying a Li battery jumper/charger with me at all times.

I am very much getting the feeling that the Porsche electronics are not ready for prime time! It is too bad as I have had eight new Porsches now and not an issue until this one. I thought that with it being out in Europe for a year, these issues would be corrected.
Old 01-28-2019, 03:47 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LMB
Interesting. I don't think you say but I am assuming your car started OK during this whole time for you? Just the PCM panel failed? The dealer said they did a "reset on the Gateway" to get it started. That may equate to your hard start!

This is a good piece of information. I will check into it further. I will be carrying a Li battery jumper/charger with me at all times.

I am very much getting the feeling that the Porsche electronics are not ready for prime time! It is too bad as I have had eight new Porsches now and not an issue until this one. I thought that with it being out in Europe for a year, these issues would be corrected.
Yes, the car started fine the whole time. Just the PCM center screen was locked. There’s another Rennlister who posted a thread back in November about his center screen going edge-to-edge red out of nowhere. He included a photo. Not sure what came of it.

I too hoped that with us letting the Europeans handle all the electronic gremlins for a year, most of them would be fixed by now. Apparently that is not the case.

You might consider carrying the same socket wrench with you. Whatever a gateway reset is, it’s almost certainly covered by draining all the current from the system as I did. I’ll take that over a flatbed any day.

Your idea of carrying a Li-Ion charger is good. Can you share which one you’ve bought, and whether you like it?

Old 01-28-2019, 08:44 PM
LMB
Advanced

I already have the socket ready to go. This is reminding me of the old Range Rover days when you had to have a fan belt and some tools, among other things.

The charger is a NOCO GB40. As the Cayenne would not accept a jump/charge, I have no idea if it works or not. It is charged ready to go, small, and will power via USB any item. I also use a Porsche trickle charger when a car sits for a while without running.

I am now 12 days without the Cayenne.
Old 01-28-2019, 10:06 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Thanks. And you've got me laughing (in a sad way) about carrying tools in a modern-day six-figure car. Who knew Porsche would reinvent Lucas electrics in the new Cayenne?
Old 01-30-2019, 04:13 PM
LMB
Advanced

Well, you are a genius! You have discovered the Porsche master solution to handling any of the various maladies that might creep into the electronic systems of any new 2019 Cayenne! Porsche has decided to include in future deliveries a special Porsche engraved 10mm socket wrench. The proud owner simply takes the engraved socket wrench, disconnects the negative cable from the lithium ion starting battery, waits approximately 30 seconds, reconnects the ground cable, and carefully puts the engraved socket wrench in a clean, safe place for the next failure. This operation is otherwise know by Porsche as "resetting the gateway."

This is exactly the operation used to start my Cayenne. I only wish I had received your training earlier so I would not have flat bedded to the dealers. Porsche insisted that the car go to the dealer. I will pick it up tomorrow. Nothing has been replaced but Porsche engineers reviewed output readings and did not want the car released until today. I am going to be positive and hope your "anomaly" feeling is, indeed, correct.

Thank you very much for all your thoughts. I wish you the very best as a new PCar owner. It has been my pleasure discussing this issue with you!

Quick Reply: 2019 Cayenne fails to start