Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Official waiting room for those with a new 992 on order --- come on in !!

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2023, 10:29 AM
freddiesobrev
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by pgap718
Wait, two-door Porsches are NOT transported via a covered trailer?!? I definitely thought they were from factory to port. Is the GT3 RS the only vehicle that gets what is basically a full cover or is it based on its position on the trailer?
was wondering the same thing.
The following users liked this post:
pgap718 (12-28-2023)
Old 12-28-2023, 10:53 AM
RS-14
Track Day

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

My 718 was shipped to my house in an open car hauler. Big mistake, if you are the car positioned above the cab facing the roadway. One of the headlights on my 718 was cracked presumably by a flying rock from a vehicle in front of the hauler.
Hopefully my new 911 will either be covered completely or in a inclosed hauler.
Old 12-28-2023, 11:39 AM
pgap718
Racer

Received 128 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by RS-14
My 718 was shipped to my house in an open car hauler. Big mistake, if you are the car positioned above the cab facing the roadway. One of the headlights on my 718 was cracked presumably by a flying rock from a vehicle in front of the hauler.
Hopefully my new 911 will either be covered completely or in a inclosed hauler.
I would ask that upfront and get them to confirm what it's going to be. Get your phone ready to film the car second the hauler parks so you have proof. That's crazy a rock got that high up!
Old 12-28-2023, 12:05 PM
RS-14
Track Day

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

My 718 was transported from a Florida Porsche dealership to Michigan. It arrived on my street at midnight. I had to turn on my flashlight to inspect the car. I saw the crack in the headlight immediately. My car at the time was backed into the first level of the hauler behind the cab. I knew this wasn’t the original location because the front of the car was covered with dead bugs. The only place on the hauler where bugs could get squashed is the front top of the hauler.

Thinking back on this situation I should have denied delivery. But I was so excited to get my first Porsche. Neither the car hauler company or the dealership would take responsibility for the damage . The 718 was a CPO.
So be careful if you are receiving delivery at a location other than a dealership.
The following 2 users liked this post by RS-14:
Kevin_ (12-30-2023), pgap718 (12-28-2023)
Old 12-28-2023, 12:18 PM
atomicUpdate
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Isaac992
Anyone else seeing a delay from port arrival to transit to dealer?

The Siem Cicero arrived in Houston on 12/19 or 12/20 and car was due to arrive at my Houston dealer on 12/23.

I imagine the schedule did not contemplate the holidays and a potentially large number of cars to process for delivery.

Not sure if others are seeing the same and can confirm whether there's a delay due to backlog, updates, or damage.

The car in question is a C2 GTS.
My car also arrived in Houston on that same Siem Cicero shipment. It left Houston early 12/26 and got into Denver late yesterday evening (12/27), so cars are getting through there. My SA said the truck had 12 cars on it total, but I don’t know what the mix of models/trims are. Mine is a C2S, but I’m not sure if there are options that might slow yours down.

I should be picking mine up Saturday afternoon. I’m pretty excited.
OncPorsche (12-28-2023)
Old 12-28-2023, 12:20 PM
TUD
Rennlist Member

Received 1,394 Likes on 779 Posts

If a U.S. dealer would be willing to ship a new Porsche via an open carrier I would not do business with them. It is as simple as that, at least for myself.
pgap718 (12-28-2023)
Old 12-28-2023, 12:44 PM
Shortseller
Pro

Received 601 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by TUD
If a U.S. dealer would be willing to ship a new Porsche via an open carrier I would not do business with them. It is as simple as that, at least for myself.
Dont know if you saw it on the T site but they are still promising delivery in 2 days. 😤

In any event, that’s good news they finally docked. Wonder how long they will be in port? My SA tells me it’s a 2 day boat ride down to Jacksonville. Then who knows how long to Naples. Car prep? Etc. I’m hoping a week from tomorrow?
Old 12-28-2023, 12:49 PM
FastAlpine
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Shortseller
Dont know if you saw it on the T site but they are still promising delivery in 2 days. 😤

In any event, that’s good news they finally docked. Wonder how long they will be in port? My SA tells me it’s a 2 day boat ride down to Jacksonville. Then who knows how long to Naples. Car prep? Etc. I’m hoping a week from tomorrow?
They aren’t promising anything. It’s just a tracking system to give you an idea of when the car will arrive. There’s obviously tons of variables going from Germany to the USA.
The following 2 users liked this post by FastAlpine:
jbentley1018 (01-06-2024), TUD (12-28-2023)
Old 12-28-2023, 01:05 PM
pgap718
Racer

Received 128 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by RS-14
My 718 was transported from a Florida Porsche dealership to Michigan. It arrived on my street at midnight. I had to turn on my flashlight to inspect the car. I saw the crack in the headlight immediately. My car at the time was backed into the first level of the hauler behind the cab. I knew this wasn’t the original location because the front of the car was covered with dead bugs. The only place on the hauler where bugs could get squashed is the front top of the hauler.

Thinking back on this situation I should have denied delivery. But I was so excited to get my first Porsche. Neither the car hauler company or the dealership would take responsibility for the damage . The 718 was a CPO.
So be careful if you are receiving delivery at a location other than a dealership.
Yeah I'm picking mine up at the dealership and after inspecting it the company I'm hitting to PPF/ceramic coat it will send a guy down to wrap the front in temp track pff, I think either 8 or 10mm and then I'll drive it a hour to the place I'm getting an the work on done
Old 12-28-2023, 01:10 PM
AJ_Judi
Instructor

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts

@rr_gts I am with you... I am also not in rush to get it as winter is here... I am just curious what is your TYD showing? like mine middle of the ocean? I am assuming at some point it will have to update and say still in Emden and never left? SFL Composer is still sitting in Emden so either they will fix the issue it has and left it sail or they are trying to transfer the cars on the ship to another one at the moment...
Old 12-28-2023, 01:31 PM
Shortseller
Pro

Received 601 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by FastAlpine
They aren’t promising anything. It’s just a tracking system to give you an idea of when the car will arrive. There’s obviously tons of variables going from Germany to the USA.
I expect a little better from Germans, but agree international waters do pose their own problems. But in this day of tracking with computers, one should expect accurate updates? Thank goodness for TUD keeping our expectations real.

In all, I’ve been through the order process 3 times, so no big, it’s all tongue & cheek fun with a little excitement.
Old 12-28-2023, 02:48 PM
Icegrill
Burning Brakes

Received 807 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by AJ_Judi
@rr_gts I am with you... I am also not in rush to get it as winter is here... I am just curious what is your TYD showing? like mine middle of the ocean? I am assuming at some point it will have to update and say still in Emden and never left? SFL Composer is still sitting in Emden so either they will fix the issue it has and left it sail or they are trying to transfer the cars on the ship to another one at the moment...
Originally Posted by Shortseller
I expect a little better from Germans, but agree international waters do pose their own problems. But in this day of tracking with computers, one should expect accurate updates? Thank goodness for TUD keeping our expectations real.

In all, I’ve been through the order process 3 times, so no big, it’s all tongue & cheek fun with a little excitement.
TYD is literally a predetermined set of coordinates with zero bearing on real world events.
TUD (12-28-2023)
Old 12-28-2023, 02:57 PM
AJ_Judi
Instructor

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts

you are correct.. I think TUD mentioned this also.. once the car gets the status of left the German port, it knows the distance to the end port, it has a pre-determined number of miles every day or hour that the ship travels... it just divides the two and says xxxxx miles left xxxx days left..
TUD (12-28-2023)
Old 12-28-2023, 03:02 PM
car rabid
Track Day

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by atomicUpdate
My car also arrived in Houston on that same Siem Cicero shipment. It left Houston early 12/26 and got into Denver late yesterday evening (12/27), so cars are getting through there. My SA said the truck had 12 cars on it total, but I don’t know what the mix of models/trims are. Mine is a C2S, but I’m not sure if there are options that might slow yours down.

I should be picking mine up Saturday afternoon. I’m pretty excited.

My Carrera T was also on the Siem Cecero that arrived supposedly on 12-20 and is going to Memphis. Mine has not left the Houston Port as of now. Throughout my build, all the estimated dates were early or on time until getting to the USA, then it is wait wait, wait.
Isaac992 (12-28-2023)
Old 12-28-2023, 03:08 PM
freddiesobrev
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Quick question, how long after the vessel left Emden port will we actually get an update on TYD saying the vehicle has left the German port?

Quick Reply: Official waiting room for those with a new 992 on order --- come on in !!