Two Killed in 140-MPH Crash Involving Porsche 911 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2022, 07:18 PM
Patton250
Rennlist Member

Received 768 Likes on 415 Posts

Originally Posted by 911dude41
You buying?
If you are willing to go to Porsche and video yourself at the factory telling their engineers that they are a bunch of morons for thinking all wheel drive is safer than rear wheel drive I’ll pay for it. I want the video first though and I’ll reimburse you for your plane ticket over there. Coach of course. Lol. I don’t know jack about any of this as I’m sure you can tell but what I do know is that your posts contradict 100% of absolutely everything I’ve read and watched on the subject of all wheel drive versus rear wheel drive. What you say is the complete opposite to EVERYTHING I’ve seen on this subject. It would be is if you said something like, “in the history of baseball the New York Yankees have been insignificant”. Lol. Now I’m nowhere near an expert on baseball either but I would know that statement to be contradictive of everything I’ve read and watched on baseball.
Old 07-13-2022, 07:39 PM
911dude41
Drifting

Received 1,226 Likes on 705 Posts

Originally Posted by Patton250
If you are willing to go to Porsche and video yourself at the factory telling their engineers that they are a bunch of morons for thinking all wheel drive is safer than rear wheel drive I’ll pay for it. I want the video first though and I’ll reimburse you for your plane ticket over there. Coach of course. Lol. I don’t know jack about any of this as I’m sure you can tell but what I do know is that your posts contradict 100% of absolutely everything I’ve read and watched on the subject of all wheel drive versus rear wheel drive. What you say is the complete opposite to EVERYTHING I’ve seen on this subject. It would be is if you said something like, “in the history of baseball the New York Yankees have been insignificant”. Lol. Now I’m nowhere near an expert on baseball either but I would know that statement to be contradictive of everything I’ve read and watched on baseball.
Hey come on brotha.. I never said that they're morons or dogged AWD like it's a POS... and COACH? Lol Business/First only on international flights. Coach is fine domestically.

AWD is great technology and Porsche (but not only) have engineered a great system.. My point was simply that AWD doesn't handle any better and is not any safer at the limits or close to. There's a reason why Porsche keeps their "top dawg" vehicles RWD. AWD has its benefits but my point is that it won't save you.
Old 07-13-2022, 07:51 PM
Patton250
Rennlist Member

Hey come on brotha.. I never said that they're morons or dogged AWD like it's a POS... and COACH? Lol Business/First only on international flights. Coach is fine domestically.

AWD is great technology and Porsche (but not only) have engineered a great system.. My point was simply that AWD doesn't handle any better and is not any safer at the limits or close to. There's a reason why Porsche keeps their "top dawg" vehicles RWD. AWD has its benefits but my point is that it won't save you.
As I told you everything you’re saying directly contradicts everything I’ve ever read on the subject. I’m no expert on this believe me. And I don’t know why you would think the GT3 is the top dog. It doesn’t cost the most. The turbo S is much faster, more luxurious, better riding and from everything I read is much safer. The GT3 would make my wife’s breasts fall off between my house and the grocery store. It’s extraordinarily rough riding and I wouldn’t own one unless I planned on tracking it only. Believe me I get why people like it but I would way rather have the turbo S. That’s just me though. However my opinion on which model I like better has nothing to do with which one is safer to drive and allows for more driver mistakes. You’ve heard what I’ve had to say on that. Everything I know on the subject I’ve read and watched.

Good point about the coach though. If you’re actually willing to go tell those guys off I should pony up and send you first class. :-)
The following 2 users liked this post by Patton250:
abiazis (07-14-2022), AlexCeres (07-15-2022)
Old 07-13-2022, 08:23 PM
911dude41
Drifting

As I told you everything you’re saying directly contradicts everything I’ve ever read on the subject. I’m no expert on this believe me. And I don’t know why you would think the GT3 is the top dog. It doesn’t cost the most. The turbo S is much faster, more luxurious, better riding and from everything I read is much safer. The GT3 would make my wife’s breasts fall off between my house and the grocery store. It’s extraordinarily rough riding and I wouldn’t own one unless I planned on tracking it only. Believe me I get why people like it but I would way rather have the turbo S. That’s just me though. However my opinion on which model I like better has nothing to do with which one is safer to drive and allows for more driver mistakes. You’ve heard what I’ve had to say on that. Everything I know on the subject I’ve read and watched.

Good point about the coach though. If you’re actually willing to go tell those guys off I should pony up and send you first class. :-)

Point taken. I'm a broken car guy so TTS or GT3=Yes please.. I went with TTS for the reasons you mentioned, and in the every day world I would spank a GT3. However, that's not to say I do not or could not own a GT3. I would and will. The GT3's rougher more track focused ride would not bother me personally.

What have I said contradicts what you've read on the subject? I'm arguing that the GT3 is safer at the limits, especially going 140mph like the thread title states. What people read and think about the TTS isn't always true. Would I rather be in a TTS in the rain? Sure thing. Still though, any 911 is butt clenching scary in the wet. My TTS on PS4S still hydroplanes like it's on ice on wet surfaces. Even on small amounts of standing water (at highway speeds 60+).
The following users liked this post:
Patton250 (07-13-2022)
Old 07-13-2022, 09:22 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,224 Likes on 599 Posts

The GT3 would make my wife’s breasts fall off between my house and the grocery store. It’s extraordinarily rough riding and I wouldn’t own one unless I planned on tracking it only. Believe me I get why people like it but I would way rather have the turbo S.

for the sake of context a pic of wife's breasts are needed......
The following 4 users liked this post by eclou:
AlexCeres (07-14-2022), Patton250 (07-13-2022), Viper pilot (07-14-2022), wizee (07-17-2022)
Old 07-13-2022, 09:39 PM
Patton250
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by eclou
for the sake of context a pic of wife's breasts are needed......
https://media.giphy.com/media/On6vJ7VxrTHMs/giphy.gif
The following 2 users liked this post by Patton250:
abiazis (07-14-2022), eclou (07-14-2022)
Old 07-14-2022, 08:30 AM
richk
Drifting

Received 882 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Said this before, and I will say it again here.

The TT/TTS makes you feel like a great driver.

The GT3 makes you want to be a better driver.
Pretty much sums it up.
The following 2 users liked this post by richk:
AlexCeres (07-15-2022), Viper pilot (07-14-2022)
Old 07-15-2022, 01:14 AM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,677 Likes on 1,027 Posts

I owned a TTS and tracked both cars. What he’s saying has absolutely no relation to practical experience with these cars. Dunno what his problem is in the rain, but I’ve taken a tts through significant rain storms and it’s a complete peach. So friendly. AWD makes an enormous difference in rain. The traction control and tires handle things far better than most folks imagine. My most challenging problem is the ceramic brakes struggle if the rain is heavy and cold (like 50 or below). If they keep getting soaked, it’s very difficult to keep heat in them. That’s a lot of driver attention work. Either heavy or cold is fine, it’s the combo of soaking them that’s stressful.

the gt3 suspension is much stiffer and doesn’t handle imperfect roads nearly as well as a TTS. Dips and bumps unsettle it more. A lot more. Great for the track, but less great for high speed public highways. The TTS suspension isn’t as tight for track work but has a much greater range. You can really see this if you track a 991 gt3 and 992 gt3 back to back. The new front suspension does a much better job over rougher sections.

The gt3 is a ton of fun, but unless you’re on some very specific B roads or canyons, it’s key advantages aren’t especially relevant to public street driving. Most highways have long sloping curves, not track turns. It’s weight and dynamics don’t matter on most highways. The interchanges and on ramps are a brief and special delight in a GT car. And on most slower speed roads, the TTS has near twice the torque and that just overwhelms all other considerations under 60mph

there’s a reason why the TTS obliterates the gt3 and even supercars that cost twice as much off the line and to the 1/8 mile. It has more traction. A lot more. So a tire limited supercar faces the same problem in the wet. The tts has way more traction.
Patton250 (07-15-2022)
Old 07-15-2022, 02:56 AM
911dude41
Drifting

AWD/RWD/FWD/NoWheelDrive will all behave the same in the rain let alone a thunderstorm if were not talking about putting your foot down on the gas and traction under throttle. At that point it's completely up to the tires.

You've taken a TTS through a significant rain storm and it was a peach. How slow were you going? I've done that in a Base, 4S, GTS, GT3, and TTS.. All five were white knuckle experiences. Standing water? Forget about it. Regardless of what rubber (P Zero, PS4S, Cup2) All four cars needed to stay under 50 mph for peace of mind otherwise the car is skating. Anything but "friendly". Also, on that point the Cup 2's wet traction is greatly underrated.

Also, the topic isn't "relevant to public street driving". See thread title.

Oh Rennlist, you operate in mysterious ways... One day you'll see nothing but TTS bashing posts. Fat pig, yadda yadda yadda.. Now It's the opposite. I'm beginning to learn that my car is an indestructible missile on rails that slays supercars and exotics. I need to see a doctor, my sensories are off.
Old 07-15-2022, 05:45 AM
Patton250
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AlexCeres
I owned a TTS and tracked both cars. What he’s saying has absolutely no relation to practical experience with these cars. Dunno what his problem is in the rain, but I’ve taken a tts through significant rain storms and it’s a complete peach. So friendly. AWD makes an enormous difference in rain. The traction control and tires handle things far better than most folks imagine. My most challenging problem is the ceramic brakes struggle if the rain is heavy and cold (like 50 or below). If they keep getting soaked, it’s very difficult to keep heat in them. That’s a lot of driver attention work. Either heavy or cold is fine, it’s the combo of soaking them that’s stressful.

the gt3 suspension is much stiffer and doesn’t handle imperfect roads nearly as well as a TTS. Dips and bumps unsettle it more. A lot more. Great for the track, but less great for high speed public highways. The TTS suspension isn’t as tight for track work but has a much greater range. You can really see this if you track a 991 gt3 and 992 gt3 back to back. The new front suspension does a much better job over rougher sections.

The gt3 is a ton of fun, but unless you’re on some very specific B roads or canyons, it’s key advantages aren’t especially relevant to public street driving. Most highways have long sloping curves, not track turns. It’s weight and dynamics don’t matter on most highways. The interchanges and on ramps are a brief and special delight in a GT car. And on most slower speed roads, the TTS has near twice the torque and that just overwhelms all other considerations under 60mph

there’s a reason why the TTS obliterates the gt3 and even supercars that cost twice as much off the line and to the 1/8 mile. It has more traction. A lot more. So a tire limited supercar faces the same problem in the wet. The tts has way more traction.
Wow man you wrote that really well. You nailed it. I think you could write an article for a car magazine the way you wrote that. Thanks
AlexCeres (07-16-2022)
Old 07-15-2022, 05:53 AM
Patton250
Rennlist Member

AWD/RWD/FWD/NoWheelDrive will all behave the same in the rain let alone a thunderstorm if were not talking about putting your foot down on the gas and traction under throttle. At that point it's completely up to the tires.

You've taken a TTS through a significant rain storm and it was a peach. How slow were you going? I've done that in a Base, 4S, GTS, GT3, and TTS.. All five were white knuckle experiences. Standing water? Forget about it. Regardless of what rubber (P Zero, PS4S, Cup2) All four cars needed to stay under 50 mph for peace of mind otherwise the car is skating. Anything but "friendly". Also, on that point the Cup 2's wet traction is greatly underrated.

Also, the topic isn't "relevant to public street driving". See thread title.

Oh Rennlist, you operate in mysterious ways... One day you'll see nothing but TTS bashing posts. Fat pig, yadda yadda yadda.. Now It's the opposite. I'm beginning to learn that my car is an indestructible missile on rails that slays supercars and exotics. I need to see a doctor, my sensories are off.
I’m not sure why you got so emotional about his post. It’s well-known throughout the driving world that all wheel drive vehicles are safer in the rain and snow. As far as tires go I’ve driven on P Zeros and PS4S’s on both RWD and AWD Sports cars and they do just fine in the rain. Better of course on the AWD cars all around. I live in Florida also. Talk about rain storms lol. We get hammered. Of course I slow down. Same thing in the snow. Just because you have an all-wheel-drive car doesn’t mean you can go 100 mph down the highway. I grew up in Maine and go there almost every winter to visit my family. My family all have all wheel drive trucks, Subarus and Audis. All wheel drive is quite boring in the snow because it’s so stable. I don’t know why you think this is a GT3 bashing bunch of posts. I think the GT3 is the best looking Porsche in the lineup. It’s just too track orientated for me. It’s uncomfortable to drive because of the suspension and I’m not a professional driver and like the safety of the all-wheel-drive better. People like different things for different reasons. It’s all good. I wish I could own both. :-)

Last edited by Patton250; 07-15-2022 at 05:56 AM.
AlexCeres (07-16-2022)
Old 07-15-2022, 08:29 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think we can all agree that the GT3 suspension is too rough on the wives breasts. This is our "peace pipe" to smoke

The following 5 users liked this post by eclou:
AlexCeres (07-16-2022), BIGJ (07-15-2022), ER911S (08-28-2022), Mmade992 (08-27-2022), Patton250 (07-15-2022)
Old 07-15-2022, 08:57 AM
BIGJ
Instructor

Received 182 Likes on 70 Posts

I want to see that bengal too! Great pic BTW
Old 07-15-2022, 10:46 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BIGJ
I want to see that bengal too! Great pic BTW

The following 8 users liked this post by eclou:
AlexCeres (07-16-2022), BIGJ (07-15-2022), Carcam (09-17-2022), crazyrob (07-16-2022), M3Inline6 (07-15-2022), MovingChicane (03-03-2024), PorscheCH (07-17-2022), wotaskd (07-15-2022) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-15-2022, 10:04 PM
Karl911
Burning Brakes

Received 425 Likes on 181 Posts

I assume that is your wife /girlfriend

Quick Reply: Two Killed in 140-MPH Crash Involving Porsche 911 Turbo