Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Francisco

Two Killed in 140-MPH Crash Involving Porsche 911 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2022, 10:53 AM
Pad Bender
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 655 Posts

I have been caught in a train of maniacs...invigorating at the time and frightening in retrospect. Despite the capabilities, no way I will go front of the pack again.
The following users liked this post:
abiazis (06-22-2022)
Old 06-22-2022, 11:20 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 607 Posts

Originally Posted by Pad Bender
I have been caught in a train of maniacs...invigorating at the time and frightening in retrospect. Despite the capabilities, no way I will go front of the pack again.
exactly! On the track you at least get some tiering of driver skill levels and you get to know some skill levels. I loved lead - follow on fast instructors / club racers.

When you group ride two wheel it get even more spicy - I've seen fast newbies set off domino effect wipeouts of a entire cluster of racing bikes where everyone ends up getting run over. No thank you!
Pad Bender (06-23-2022)
Old 06-22-2022, 07:58 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 792 Likes on 575 Posts

I have owned a Porsche for over 23 years and participated in rallies, club racing, autocross, mountain rides and taken DE instruction at all the Porsche US facilities numerous times.

Porsche street 911s have become SO powerful now with blinding and quickly achieved top end speed during these last 15 years of so, often capable of speeds amateur drivers are actually very lucky to control, even with the experience in improving driving skills and in, i.e. controlled track situations at times.

As I have gotten older, I have realized what I didn't when I was younger and trying to appease my own ego......I now know or let's say better acknowledge what can go really wrong and it has slowed me down considerably.........participating in fast driving mountain drives with 90 degree turns going ***** out is challenging, but also very dangerous - there can be oil or substances on the road causing handling issues, blown or worn tires, mechanical failures, cars coming into the highway, objects in the road, etc....just a ton of things that can create damage, injuries and death, unfortunately, in more instances than we all care to see........

I am sure the two relatively younger guys in the Crown Rally got caught up in the moment like we all do at these driving events and just pushed the envelope too far.....very easy to do with all the group testosterone flowing and a newer Turbo S and other high-end machines to test out....

They probably hit 140 mph plus many times in their car driving life, with no issues, but the probabilities of something going wrong finally caught up with them.....Just like they do with professional drivers on closed circuits.........

HOPEFULLY THE BRUTAL PHOTOS FROM THIS ACCIDENT WILL SERVE AS A REMINDER AND SAVE SOME LIVES IN THE FUTURE, AS PEOPLE FORTUNATE TO BE DRIVING THESE POWERFUL EXPENSIVE MACHINES, TAKE A REAL BREATH, REMEMBER THIS PARTICULAR ACCIDENT, PHOTOS OF THE AFTERMATH, OR SIMILAR ONES WE ALL HAVE HEARD ABOUT, AND TAKE A QUIET MINUTE TO THEMSELVES TO THINK ABOUT THEIR FAMILIES AND FRIENDS THAT WOULD NOT TAKE THE NEWS OF THEM DRIVING TO A SENSELESS DEATH VERY WELL........ALL WE CAN SAY NOW IS CONDOLENCES TO THE FAMILIES IMPACTED FOR LIFE.......AND HOPE THERE IS A REDUCTION IN THESE TYPES OF TRAGEDIES, AS IT SEEMS THEY ARE REPEATED MUCH TOO OFTEN..........
The following 13 users liked this post by abiazis:
DES GTS (06-22-2022), heshalosny (06-24-2022), JRBucks (06-25-2022), Justinanus (06-30-2022), Mmade992 (06-23-2022), Pad Bender (06-23-2022), Patton250 (06-22-2022), PorscheCH (07-11-2022), Steve 96C4S (07-12-2022), Viper pilot (06-22-2022), vrybad (07-01-2022), wizee (07-17-2022), wotaskd (06-22-2022) and 8 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-22-2022, 08:51 PM
Patton250
Rennlist Member

Received 773 Likes on 418 Posts

Originally Posted by abiazis
I have owned a Porsche for over 23 years and participated in rallies, club racing, autocross, mountain rides and taken DE instruction at all the Porsche US facilities numerous times.

Porsche street 911s have become SO powerful now with blinding and quickly achieved top end speed during these last 15 years of so, often capable of speeds amateur drivers are actually very lucky to control, even with the experience in improving driving skills and in, i.e. controlled track situations at times.

As I have gotten older, I have realized what I didn't when I was younger and trying to appease my own ego......I now know or let's say better acknowledge what can go really wrong and it has slowed me down considerably.........participating in fast driving mountain drives with 90 degree turns going ***** out is challenging, but also very dangerous - there can be oil or substances on the road causing handling issues, blown or worn tires, mechanical failures, cars coming into the highway, objects in the road, etc....just a ton of things that can create damage, injuries and death, unfortunately, in more instances than we all care to see........

I am sure the two relatively younger guys in the Crown Rally got caught up in the moment like we all do at these driving events and just pushed the envelope too far.....very easy to do with all the group testosterone flowing and a newer Turbo S and other high-end machines to test out....

They probably hit 140 mph plus many times in their car driving life, with no issues, but the probabilities of something going wrong finally caught up with them.....Just like they do with professional drivers on closed circuits.........

HOPEFULLY THE BRUTAL PHOTOS FROM THIS ACCIDENT WILL SERVE AS A REMINDER AND SAVE SOME LIVES IN THE FUTURE, AS PEOPLE FORTUNATE TO BE DRIVING THESE POWERFUL EXPENSIVE MACHINES, TAKE A REAL BREATH, REMEMBER THIS PARTICULAR ACCIDENT, PHOTOS OF THE AFTERMATH, OR SIMILAR ONES WE ALL HAVE HEARD ABOUT, AND TAKE A QUIET MINUTE TO THEMSELVES TO THINK ABOUT THEIR FAMILIES AND FRIENDS THAT WOULD NOT TAKE THE NEWS OF THEM DRIVING TO A SENSELESS DEATH VERY WELL........ALL WE CAN SAY NOW IS CONDOLENCES TO THE FAMILIES IMPACTED FOR LIFE.......AND HOPE THERE IS A REDUCTION IN THESE TYPES OF TRAGEDIES, AS IT SEEMS THEY ARE REPEATED MUCH TOO OFTEN..........
It has given me pause I’ll tell you that. I am very new to the Porsche world. I’ve gone 140 mph many times in other cars but you always have to plan it because it takes time to get up there but not in a 992 turbo S. It takes four or five seconds to get there from 80 mph. That’s nothing. This whole article makes me wanna get rid of my car and just buy an M8 or an M5 and call it a day.

I appreciate your post. These are good things to discuss especially when grown men aren’t lecturing other grown men. Talking about it is good.

Last edited by Patton250; 06-22-2022 at 08:52 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Patton250:
abiazis (06-22-2022), alibo70 (06-23-2022)
Old 06-22-2022, 09:13 PM
d--
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

I’ve had the luxury to take a TTS on a track, among other fast cars. Within 20 minutes I got in the grove and knocked out twenty or thirty hot laps in a row. Looked down and going faster than in a GT3 RS on the same track… These are monsters and deserve respect.

Makes me want a slower car, TBH, even thought I can afford a TTS.
AlexCeres (06-23-2022)
Old 06-22-2022, 09:33 PM
SLATETT
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 92 Posts

RIP
Old 06-23-2022, 03:19 PM
alibo70
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Patton250
It has given me pause I’ll tell you that. I am very new to the Porsche world. I’ve gone 140 mph many times in other cars but you always have to plan it because it takes time to get up there but not in a 992 turbo S. It takes four or five seconds to get there from 80 mph. That’s nothing. This whole article makes me wanna get rid of my car and just buy an M8 or an M5 and call it a day.

I appreciate your post. These are good things to discuss especially when grown men aren’t lecturing other grown men. Talking about it is good.
In the same boat with my 992 GT3. I find myself enjoying the M5 CS more, the added safety is welcome too.
Old 06-23-2022, 03:27 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,020 Likes on 520 Posts

Originally Posted by alibo70
In the same boat with my 992 GT3. I find myself enjoying the M5 CS more, the added safety is welcome too.
Really? I find that interesting. I can only keep one car and my thought was that by going from the TTS to the GT3 it would be a little "better" in regard to hitting insane speeds so quickly. At least the GT3 will have a 6MT, so I can enjoy the process a little more. FWIW, I enjoyed my standard F90 M5 a lot but it didn't handle nearly as well as the TTS.

Maybe a Subaru BRZ is the answer
Old 06-23-2022, 03:36 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,514 Likes on 2,830 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. G
Really? I find that interesting. I can only keep one car and my thought was that by going from the TTS to the GT3 it would be a little "better" in regard to hitting insane speeds so quickly. At least the GT3 will have a 6MT, so I can enjoy the process a little more. FWIW, I enjoyed my standard F90 M5 a lot but it didn't handle nearly as well as the TTS.

Haven't driven a CS. Had an M5 Competition. Ironically, I feel more comfortable and confident at speed in the TTS. Steering feedback is way better and you have a better sense of what the car is doing. The smaller dimensions and lower weight make the car more maneuverable. The M5 goes nearly as fast as a TTS, so it's not like it's a slower car but it's not as capable a sports car. For me, feedback = safety.
The following 2 users liked this post by rk-d:
AlexCeres (07-10-2022), heshalosny (06-24-2022)
Old 06-23-2022, 04:09 PM
alibo70
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. G

Originally Posted by rk-d
Haven't driven a CS. Had an M5 Competition. Ironically, I feel more comfortable and confident at speed in the TTS. Steering feedback is way better and you have a better sense of what the car is doing. The smaller dimensions and lower weight make the car more maneuverable. The M5 goes nearly as fast as a TTS, so it's not like it's a slower car but it's not as capable a sports car. For me, feedback = safety.
While not a TT the 6MT GT3 is no slouch. For me the GT3 requires full attention, it goes where the grip is...road crowns etc.

If you're an M5 person you owe yourself a drive in the CS. Not sure what magic BMW did with it, but it is a completely different animal.

The following 3 users liked this post by alibo70:
eclou (06-30-2022), heshalosny (06-24-2022), Norge911 (06-23-2022)
Old 06-29-2022, 05:35 PM
wotaskd
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 118 Posts

Damn it. Just off the phone with my local tuning shop as I was reaching out for my next project, and I learned that one of the persons killed in this accident was their owner…

So sad. Last time I was there to pick up my car he and I were just sitting there and taking about our love for Porsches, cool exhaust upgrades, the work he was putting into his TTS and the Techart GTstreet R kit, rumors about the 992 GT3 RS…

I need to enjoy life a little more often… you never know what’s happening tomorrow. RIP and condolences to his family and team.
WCGhost (09-04-2022)
Old 06-30-2022, 09:31 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 607 Posts

Originally Posted by wotaskd
Damn it. Just off the phone with my local tuning shop as I was reaching out for my next project, and I learned that one of the persons killed in this accident was their owner…

So sad. Last time I was there to pick up my car he and I were just sitting there and taking about our love for Porsches, cool exhaust upgrades, the work he was putting into his TTS and the Techart GTstreet R kit, rumors about the 992 GT3 RS…

I need to enjoy life a little more often… you never know what’s happening tomorrow. RIP and condolences to his family and team.
I ride with a group of younger guys on crotch rockets on the weekends. Over the past 5 years we've lost 3-4 a year to fatal crashes. I used to ride in front with the faster kids now I just sweep at the rear and try to make sure the entire flock is accounted for. Life is way to short
The following 4 users liked this post by eclou:
abiazis (07-01-2022), AlexCeres (07-10-2022), Steve 96C4S (07-12-2022), wotaskd (06-30-2022)
Old 06-30-2022, 09:36 PM
Cyclman
Rennlist Member

Received 422 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by eclou
Life is way to short
Exactly. There is risk in all high performance driving. It reduces the envelope. On track, more so. Driving like you’re on track on the streets…not for me. Tragic.
abiazis (07-01-2022)
Old 07-01-2022, 02:03 PM
uzj100
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts

Scroll to about 5:40 in this video...the acceleration and speed are insane...

Old 07-09-2022, 07:39 PM
bldn10
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 55 Posts

No one has commented on this: "ejecting the driver." Now surely these guys had their seatbelts on. So how did this happen? I would think that the belts would tension up and the airbags deploy when they first went sideways and dug into probably loose dirt. Rolling several times, it might have been several seconds before they came to a rest.How long do the belts remain tensioned? If only a second or so, that is a damn good reason to have harnesses and at least a harness bar. I know people who have driven Daytona w/ only stock belts and that scares the heck out of me. A blowout at 165 and you are a goner.
eclou (07-10-2022)

Quick Reply: Two Killed in 140-MPH Crash Involving Porsche 911 Turbo