Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Francisco

Two Killed in 140-MPH Crash Involving Porsche 911 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2022, 04:38 PM
Hoodini
Track Day

Received 30 Likes on 10 Posts

this makes sense. Was curious how they lost control at 140.

Originally Posted by BIGJ
They hit a rut in the road and blew the front tire, therefor losing control.
Old 06-18-2022, 04:40 PM
Hoodini
Track Day

tragedy nonetheless. Condolences to their families. I heard they hit a big bump (as previously stated in here as well) and it made the car unstable.

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
No, it doesn't.

Unless of course something unexpected happens, like debris in the road, or some guy cutting you off ... y'know, things that occur routinely when driving on public roads.
The following users liked this post:
SSWIM (09-02-2022)
Old 06-18-2022, 08:53 PM
Patton250
Rennlist Member

Received 768 Likes on 415 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
No, it doesn't.

Unless of course something unexpected happens, like debris in the road, or some guy cutting you off ... y'know, things that occur routinely when driving on public roads.
I am still very new to this forum but I have come to the conclusion that you must be the forum conscience.
Old 06-19-2022, 04:40 AM
richk
Drifting

Received 882 Likes on 366 Posts

Very sad...that said driving those speeds on public roads is never a good idea.
Old 06-19-2022, 03:28 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,017 Likes on 520 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoodini
I’m shocked they would lose control like that going 140. Doesn’t seem that fast.
It doesn’t, but there’s a big difference between an autobahn and most US roads. Our roads aren’t completely flat and at that speed it’s possible to go slightly airborne even over a smaller bump.

I remember watching this video where you can see the car seemed to be going relatively straight and then hit a bump or something that unsettled the car. It was at a higher speed but I’m sure at 140 regaining control would still be difficult on a less than perfect road.

vntperformance (07-11-2022)
Old 06-19-2022, 06:24 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,224 Likes on 599 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. G
It doesn’t, but there’s a big difference between an autobahn and most US roads. Our roads aren’t completely flat and at that speed it’s possible to go slightly airborne even over a smaller bump.

I remember watching this video where you can see the car seemed to be going relatively straight and then hit a bump or something that unsettled the car. It was at a higher speed but I’m sure at 140 regaining control would still be difficult on a less than perfect road.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTnCcJl-g-I
Jesus. I've driven thousands of miles on a handful of closed race tracks on cars and bikes and could tell you where every bump, seam, dip, etc was. You mark them on your notes bc any single one could drastically alter your contact patch. Top speed runs on unknown public roads are like Russian Roulette. No thank you
The following 4 users liked this post by eclou:
abiazis (06-22-2022), AlexCeres (06-20-2022), CanAutM3 (06-20-2022), vntperformance (07-11-2022)
Old 06-20-2022, 06:22 AM
Patton250
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by eclou
Jesus. I've driven thousands of miles on a handful of closed race tracks on cars and bikes and could tell you where every bump, seam, dip, etc was. You mark them on your notes bc any single one could drastically alter your contact patch. Top speed runs on unknown public roads are like Russian Roulette. No thank you
I guess some of you guys have me pretty confused. Is this car design to go 200 mph or not? Are the tires rated for that or not? Am I missing something? There’s a road Called Alligator Alley, Watches basically I 75 and south Florida. There are tons of bumps, seems and dips yet people take supercars over 150 mph down that road all the time when there are no other drivers around. Every day in fact. Some of you must be in shock that the swamp just off the highway isn’t loaded up with Mercedes, BMW, Jaguar, Porsche, McLaren, Ferrari and Lamborghinis.
Old 06-20-2022, 08:18 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,469 Likes on 2,814 Posts

You don’t want to go 140mph down a road you haven’t at least scouted at lower speeds. And obviously no one should condone doing it on public streets, though we’ve all done dumb things from time to time.

That said, you can just as easily hit debris on a track and potentially have the same result. At that point you chalk it up to being a freak accident.

This situation was a combination of bad judgement and bad luck.

These may have been nice guys with families that love and miss them. Reading some comments online (not here) gloating over their death is a real bummer, but is typical nowadays unfortunately.
The following 9 users liked this post by rk-d:
AlexCeres (06-20-2022), CanAutM3 (06-20-2022), Chancellor (07-01-2022), JPMD (09-19-2022), Patton250 (06-20-2022), riotgear (06-22-2022), uzj100 (06-20-2022), vntperformance (07-11-2022), wizee (07-17-2022) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-20-2022, 09:34 AM
Patton250
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rk-d
You don’t want to go 140mph down a road you haven’t at least scouted at lower speeds. And obviously no one should condone doing it on public streets, though we’ve all done dumb things from time to time.

That said, you can just as easily hit debris on a track and potentially have the same result. At that point you chalk it up to being a freak accident.

These may have been nice guys with families that love and miss them. Reading some comments online (not here) gloating over their death is a real bummer, but is typical nowadays unfortunately.
Extremely well said. Thank you.
Old 06-20-2022, 01:59 PM
Schmed
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Patton250
I guess some of you guys have me pretty confused. Is this car design to go 200 mph or not? Are the tires rated for that or not? Am I missing something? There’s a road Called Alligator Alley, Watches basically I 75 and south Florida. There are tons of bumps, seems and dips yet people take supercars over 150 mph down that road all the time when there are no other drivers around. Every day in fact. Some of you must be in shock that the swamp just off the highway isn’t loaded up with Mercedes, BMW, Jaguar, Porsche, McLaren, Ferrari and Lamborghinis.
The area of the crash is remote Colorado. The roads weren't bad the last time I was there (February), but many blind corners, various animals, rocks and boulders that slide down the hillsides. You never know what you'd come across. Moose, elk, coyote, deer, bear, skunk, marmot, etc., plus sand on the road, a random pot hole.... you just never know.
Old 06-20-2022, 07:28 PM
Hoodini
Track Day

Originally Posted by rk-d

very well stated. I like a little bit of everything. Tracks, runways, rallies etc. anyone can be at the wrong place at the wrong time and combine that with a bad decision or move and it’s lights out. Even when I do my top speed runs on the space shuttle runway. Before I leave I write letters to my kids just in case. It is a high stakes game we’re playing. Sometimes it goes that way.

very disturbing to seeing people gloat and dance on their graves all over the internet.
Old 06-21-2022, 05:18 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,017 Likes on 520 Posts

The TTS is a car that can make you feel like you're a driving hero - right up the point where you're sure you're not. The issue is that by the time you get to that point in this car you're well above where regaining control is an easy feat. That has less to do with driver skill or the car, and more about the laws of physics. It's by far the most capable car I've ever owned, and sometimes I can get complacent as a driver because of that. It's the whole "with great power comes great responsibility" thing.
The following 7 users liked this post by Dr. G:
abiazis (06-22-2022), d-- (06-22-2022), eclou (06-21-2022), JRBucks (06-25-2022), Patton250 (06-21-2022), Viper pilot (06-22-2022), wotaskd (06-21-2022) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-21-2022, 05:23 PM
Patton250
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dr. G
The TTS is a car that can make you feel like you're a driving hero - right up the point where you're sure you're not. The issue is that by the time you get to that point in this car you're well above where regaining control is an easy feat. That has less to do with driver skill or the car, and more about the laws of physics. It's by far the most capable car I've ever owned, and sometimes I can get complacent as a driver because of that. It's the whole "with great power comes great responsibility" thing.
That is an extremely well put statement. Very good advice and not a lecture. Thank you brother.
abiazis (06-22-2022)
Old 06-21-2022, 05:43 PM
ottodawg
Rennlist Member

Received 319 Likes on 216 Posts

Knowing Colorado roads, it was probably a pothole or animal that caused it. It's tragic. So am I the only one that's amazed at how well the cockpit held up to those forces? I guess at that speed, it's the G-force that gets you.

Last edited by ottodawg; 06-21-2022 at 05:47 PM.
Old 06-22-2022, 10:40 AM
riotgear
Rennlist Member

Received 481 Likes on 211 Posts

I’ve done a bunch of rally’s in a wide range of cars and had to restrain myself. Lots of guys going ***** out on public roads and driving way too aggressive. Even when being conservative (relatively speaking), one mistake or road hazard could mean bad news, which sounds like what happened here. Really sad.

Quick Reply: Two Killed in 140-MPH Crash Involving Porsche 911 Turbo