Sponsored by: Porsche San Francisco

992 Turbo & Turbo S OBD Flashing

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2022, 06:07 PM
Patton250
Rennlist Member

Received 770 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by Pad Bender
Drop it the pressures down to low 30s and get em nice and hot...will be even faster.
All 4?
The following users liked this post:
Pad Bender (08-07-2022)
Old 08-07-2022, 06:47 PM
Pad Bender
Rennlist Member

Received 1,292 Likes on 651 Posts

I brought them all down to 30 F/ 32 R on cup 2s...got my strongest numbers as they are super slow to warm up.

Im gonna try the same on PS4S as well...38/48 is really high as far as pressures but you did have warm pavement.
Old 08-07-2022, 07:05 PM
Patton250
Rennlist Member

Received 770 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by Pad Bender
I brought them all down to 30 F/ 32 R on cup 2s...got my strongest numbers as they are super slow to warm up.

Im gonna try the same on PS4S as well...38/48 is really high as far as pressures but you did have warm pavement.
38/48 is wormed up. That is the way it came stock
Old 08-12-2022, 12:50 PM
M Engineering
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,564 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by Sprintrider
I was looking through the thread for some Turbo dyno charts, did not see anything. Have you guys got anything we can look at to see the gains on the non S version?

We do actually have some somewhere. We did one of the first ones that came to the states for World. Let me see if I can get those numbers up.

-Mitch
The following users liked this post:
Pad Bender (08-12-2022)
Old 09-04-2022, 07:23 PM
dmac
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

My shop ‘GoodHart Motors’ will soon install my M Engineering tune for my 992TTS Cab for a stage 2 tune. I also noticed that you have a PDK2 tune available. I only plan to track this car 2-3 days/yr so is there any real benefit to me for that PDK tune as well? Thanks!

Last edited by dmac; 09-04-2022 at 07:36 PM.
Old 09-06-2022, 10:25 AM
M Engineering
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Lots of owners with 992 TT and TTS running our PDK2 tune on the street. Increased clutch clamping forces, holds higher torque, , no creep, quicker shift from paddle to engagement. All in all it's a nice calibration.

-Charles@M
Old 09-12-2022, 05:43 PM
ss2z06
Racer

Received 108 Likes on 62 Posts

any updates with getting a eo number on the tunes?
Old 09-12-2022, 06:57 PM
hcvone
Rennlist Member

Received 782 Likes on 491 Posts

Charles, can a PDK unit be purchased to be tuned and then keep the stock one if it needed to go back to the dealer? If not it's not a big deal I can send it in when we redo the sound system over the winter TY
Old 09-12-2022, 07:21 PM
M Engineering
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

PDK2 cloning is not available currently. Also to be noted, the dealers don't normally do readouts on the PDK programming, so taking it in for dealer visits shouldn't really be an issue. They usually just look at the info on the ECU side for what it's worth.

-Charles@M
Old 09-16-2022, 03:40 AM
NigelPlays
Racer

Received 228 Likes on 96 Posts

My M Tuner and dongle won’t read from my car to take a diagnostic report. Sigh

Any ideas why?
Old 09-16-2022, 07:58 AM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Received 635 Likes on 346 Posts

Are you using a windows machine? Is the engine OFF but accessory power ON when trying to connect? Are there any lights on the dongle itself (flashing or solid or anything)? Does the laptop indicate anything when you connect? Is the USB port on the laptop compatible with the USB cable? I think it needs to be USB 3.0.. report back.
Old 09-16-2022, 10:28 AM
M Engineering
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by NigelPlays
My M Tuner and dongle won’t read from my car to take a diagnostic report. Sigh

Any ideas why?
Call or email us at any time and we can assist. Generally this is resolved by making sure the key is in the ON position, and that the cables and dongle are all properly seated in the car and laptop. You can always unplug and replug and try that too.
Make sure you are running the latest version of M-Tuner from our website as well: https://www.m-engineering.us/pages/downloads

949.444.2150 or 754.200.1123
info@m-engineering.us

-Charles@M
Old 09-16-2022, 03:59 PM
NigelPlays
Racer

Received 228 Likes on 96 Posts

I tried everything, but I'll try a different cable and laptop on Monday. If no luck I'll call too.

Thanks

Originally Posted by M Engineering
Call or email us at any time and we can assist. Generally this is resolved by making sure the key is in the ON position, and that the cables and dongle are all properly seated in the car and laptop. You can always unplug and replug and try that too.
Make sure you are running the latest version of M-Tuner from our website as well: https://www.m-engineering.us/pages/downloads

949.444.2150 or 754.200.1123
info@m-engineering.us

-Charles@M
Old 09-21-2022, 12:47 PM
M Engineering
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Wanted to share some pictures of our M-Engineering shop car as we approach cooler weather and drag racing season. As preventative maintenance and to see how everything has been holding up, we have decided to do some thorough maintenance and analysis on our car. As you may or may not know, we are currently running our full Stage 4+M PTME100 power package on this car, and it's pushing excess of 930whp on our dyno with a DA of around 2000 feet. Unless someone can correct me, this is the highest HP 992 on the planet, and still running the stock motor. We have done 100+ dyno pulls and dozens upon dozens of pulls on the street and on prepped surfaces.

Current mods include:
- PTME1100 Turbos
- @Soul Performance SOUL 3" Turboback Exhaust System, no valves
- World Motorsports x M-Engineering Meth Injection system - running 100% meth
- M-Tuner
- PDK2 Tune
- ProTune for MS109 and for 93 octane
- M.E. 4BAR Map Sensors
- @CSF Cooling CSF Intercooler System for 992 Turbo
- Do88 Turbo Inlet Pipes
- Spark plugs gapped to .022"

We just got a brand new BendPak lift installed at our Pompano Beach Dyno Tuning Facility. So the first thing's first let's give it a test drive with some upgraded test lighting:

With the bumper off and everything exposed, our first line of action was to remove the turbochargers and send them off to Pure to be examined. The hot and cold sides still look great and everything is spinning freely with no signs of issue. This is great to see and is another reason why we chose Pure Turbos as our turbo supplier and why we partnered with them to make our exclusive PTME1100 turbos.

Since we were the first 992 Turbo running the CSF Intercooler System, we had an early version of the neck that bolts up to just before the throttle body. I reached out to Ravi and was able to acquire the new necks that come standard on these intercoolers now. They have added-in provisions for Meth injection and for a boost reference line, so you don't have to drill the neck yourself. The customer service and prompt response times at CSF is fantastic, thanks for the help Ravi!

An oil change was in order as well. With all the hard passes and dyno pulls it is imperative to get this changed out. We will also be sending a sample of this oil to Blackstone Laboratories for an oil analysis. The oil came out looking normal, just with a hint of MS109 and methanol scent to it
We also decided to remove the oil pan to inspect the connecting rods for any signs of heat wear and damage, everything looked as it should. While there isn't much to see in the photos, a closer look can yield a peek at the rod end-caps.
We will be doing a new Porsche oil filter as part of the service, and also using Motul 300v 5w40 oil in this motor.
The oil that came out of this car is Mobil1 0w40. We have found that running 5w40 oil runs a bit smoother and also quiets down the valvetrain. Motul is also a fantastic oil with great wear properties. (please, do not turn this thread into an oil discussion, do this elsewhere. We are running what is tested and proven on previous generation 9A1 motors from teardown inspection and years of R&D).

Here is a look at the spark plug area. Yes, you can do a spark plug service with the turbos in the car, although it's a really tight fit and is much easier with the turbos removed. I would say that the labor overlap for doing spark plugs while the turbos are out only adds about 30 minutes of work and is well worth doing, regardless of miles or age "while you're in there". The 992 engines have a "kink" in the spark plug hole and is very narrow. A swivel joint and thin-walled spark plug socked are required to do the plugs. You won't be able to do this with a standard thickness spark plug socket. The spark plugs that came out of the car are OEM plugs that we had previously gapped down to .022". We will be replacing them with brand new OEM plugs gapped down the same again. The photos show no signs of detonation or abnormal wear. Since we are running methanol, there are some acute areas you can see with a magnifying glass on the seating surface of the plug where there is minor corrosion, but this was to be expected and is not enough to raise concern or jeopardize the integrity of how the plug was performing.

Enjoy the photos and we will post more as we progress on the fun here for you DIY folks!

-Charles@M
The following 5 users liked this post by M Engineering:
Angryinch (09-29-2023), eclou (09-21-2022), NigelPlays (09-21-2022), topherserrano (09-21-2022), wotaskd (09-22-2022)
Old 09-21-2022, 01:04 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,228 Likes on 600 Posts

Charles are you running stock plugs in the stock heat range? Did you consider running colder than stock? Any estimate on the useful lifespan of the plugs running at that power level?

Quick Reply: 992 Turbo & Turbo S OBD Flashing