Notices
992 GT3 and GT2RS Forum 2019-Current
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S/T Suspension Programming - GT3 update??

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2024, 03:39 PM
Andi
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by f4bones
Quick update - spent a few hours with Mars working on the various instrument panel displays options - here is the take aways:
  1. Standard GT3 (wing / touring) Display - sport chrono mode pop ups and mode display in normal display (bottom of right display). No tire temp display. Track display has two lines of data on right display. Number on dials in white.
  2. S/T display - no sport chrono mode pop up, and no mode display in normal display. You can manually select the mode display in the right instrument and it works. Also, the mode selector still selects modes and displays in PCM. Numbers on dials in cool green - nice. Tire pressure and temp display - other than tire temps, track display same. One interesting learning - if you set the transmission to manual in S/T display, there is no gear display, other the R in reverse, but the shift ladders are always visable. However, there is no other indication of current gear in PDK, so not really a good option.
  3. RS display. Sport Chrono pop-ups and better track display. This is my preferred display currently. The only issue is that in track display, under tire pressure, you have an Aero:Error message, as there obviously is no aero. I'm trying to figure out how to block this message, but no luck so far. Its not a system fault, just a white display message as you can see in attached photos. . .Numbers in white.
Overall, I think the RS display is the best option as I always drive in track display, and I like the RS track display best, and I find tire temps very useful. We will continue to fine tune these display options as we mover forward. So right now we have RS instrument panel display and S/T suspension! Very, very cool.

Next up is full RS emulation - I have the steering wheel controls, and an updated chassis ECU ordered - we shall see if we can program the GT3 to have all the adjustability of the RS. Not sure if that will be better than the S/T suspension, but will be an interesting experiment and fun to play with all the settings.

Here is the S/T screen flash -

In S/T screen, you can see there is a clock at the bottom of the right display - this is normally where the mode is displayed (IE normal, sport, track)

this is the RS track display - notice 3 lines of date on the right display, ie water temp, oil temp, and oil pressure. Also note the Aero: Error display under tire pressure.

driving w/ the RS display - this is my current fav.

RS screen flash

tire pressures and temps in RS track display.
ooh that’s cool. I wonder if it’s possible to get tire temps on GT3 track mode without having to make the car think it’s an RS…
Old 08-04-2024, 05:22 PM
dadgar
Cruisin'

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Just got the S/T suspension coded and went for a ride! It is truly remarkable how much more compliant the car is over broken tarmac. The roads near my house are very low speed (25mph) and bad. Previously very jarring to drive through and now it is so much better.

Track on dampers still feel more compliant at low speed than sports without the flash. I have a track day next weekend and will report back how it feels. Unfortunately won’t be very empirical with lap times since I am also changing camber and different tires this week. Regardless so happy with this! It should be on everyone’s todo list
The following 5 users liked this post by dadgar:
aarodynamics (08-04-2024), catdog2 (08-04-2024), cyn (08-05-2024), dixonk (08-04-2024), EMdoc (08-04-2024)
Old 08-04-2024, 06:40 PM
seatactony
Racer

Received 307 Likes on 148 Posts

Also chiming in after the ST code today at dadgar's (thank you for the hospitality). This is one of those changes that is immediately noticeable and makes the car much more livable, especially for those of us who do not track.

Used to have to get to 45mph+ for the dampening to kick in. Now it's there right off the line. Still the stiff ride that we all want with just a little bit of buttery smoothness on top instead of the unnecessary jarring/harshness that used to be present.

On a scale of 1-10 (10 being max harshness), I'd say it's dropped from a 9 to a 7.5. Not too hard, not too soft, just right. Like a more aggressive version of the x73 suspension on my 981. Exactly what I was looking for.

Kudos to all involved for figuring this out.

Last edited by seatactony; 08-04-2024 at 06:45 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by seatactony:
aarodynamics (08-04-2024), catdog2 (08-04-2024), cyn (08-05-2024), dixonk (08-04-2024), JCBH (08-04-2024), PierreTT (08-05-2024) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-04-2024, 08:14 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 205 Likes on 104 Posts

This is why RL exists: car enthusiasts sharing ideas. This is a phenomenal piece of work.

That said, Porsche software is proprietary and subject to copyright laws. Whether Porsche opts to make an issue with this remains to be seen.
The following users liked this post:
usctrojanGT3 (08-05-2024)
Old 08-04-2024, 09:44 PM
1RedHead
Racer

Received 313 Likes on 143 Posts

What happens when you take your car into service? Would they revert everything back to factory configuration?
Old 08-04-2024, 10:24 PM
GT3SOM
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I want this done but im in New Zealand
Old 08-04-2024, 10:46 PM
catdog2
Rennlist Member

Received 688 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3SOM
I want this done but im in New Zealand
reach out to @rnlst_log it's done remotely. When you have the requisite equipment
Old 08-04-2024, 10:47 PM
catdog2
Rennlist Member

Received 688 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by 1RedHead
What happens when you take your car into service? Would they revert everything back to factory configuration?
nope it's just the suspension controller module which has had its behavior/curves reprogrammed

shouldn't interfere with anything
Old 08-04-2024, 11:39 PM
f4bones
Rennlist Member

Received 1,395 Likes on 536 Posts

Went for a long drive today around Jackson Hole - I continue to be amazed with the difference the S/T dampening makes in drivability - I also really like the RS Track Display. One thing that I wasn't aware of - if you push the button in the middle of the mode dial, you get a menu where you can select options for each mode (IE Sport and Track) - for me, I always want Track Display, Normal PASM (soft), and exhaust valves open - now when I change modes, the display stays in track mode and the suspension stays in normal . . . love it. I can then select PASM sport from the dash switch if needed, and I have the diamond button on the steering wheel programed for exhaust valves so can quite her down if needed. I really like the RS track display as well with the tire temps - very cool. I'm hoping we can figure out how to set the flash screen logo, but having it show GT3RS doesn't really bother me much . . .

On the Dakar question, I think the suspension controller is the same, but shock different - I see no reason we couldn't program the Dakar settings in PASM - it may or may not work with the GT3 shocks, but it's only software, so wouldn't hurt anything to try it out. Or, if you wanted to make a Dakar clone, that would be relatively easy to do. There is a Dakar instrument panel configuration, but haven't loaded that one to try it out.

There cars are fairly configurable and modular - once you install the correct hardware, you can most likely program to be any flavor you want.
The following users liked this post:
cyn (08-05-2024)
Old 08-04-2024, 11:51 PM
718socal
Rennlist Member

Received 531 Likes on 326 Posts

Went for a long drive today around Jackson Hole - I continue to be amazed with the difference the S/T dampening makes in drivability - I also really like the RS Track Display. One thing that I wasn't aware of - if you push the button in the middle of the mode dial, you get a menu where you can select options for each mode (IE Sport and Track) - for me, I always want Track Display, Normal PASM (soft), and exhaust valves open - now when I change modes, the display stays in track mode and the suspension stays in normal . . . love it. I can then select PASM sport from the dash switch if needed, and I have the diamond button on the steering wheel programed for exhaust valves so can quite her down if needed. I really like the RS track display as well with the tire temps - very cool. I'm hoping we can figure out how to set the flash screen logo, but having it show GT3RS doesn't really bother me much . . .

On the Dakar question, I think the suspension controller is the same, but shock different - I see no reason we couldn't program the Dakar settings in PASM - it may or may not work with the GT3 shocks, but it's only software, so wouldn't hurt anything to try it out. Or, if you wanted to make a Dakar clone, that would be relatively easy to do. There is a Dakar instrument panel configuration, but haven't loaded that one to try it out.

There cars are fairly configurable and modular - once you install the correct hardware, you can most likely program to be any flavor you want.
Have you guys tried to change the Vehicle Variant in the Kombi? This is from 718 coding

Old 08-05-2024, 01:02 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,125 Likes on 5,272 Posts

Old 08-05-2024, 01:34 AM
f4bones
Rennlist Member

Yes - that's what gives us GT3, Touring, ST or RS displays - but it seems that you cannot choose one display "skin" and then have a different splash logo - IE have all the S/T green displays, but have it display touring at start up . . . for me, I prefer the RS display, and can live with the RS logo popup on start up and shut down . . .

Old 08-05-2024, 01:46 AM
718socal
Rennlist Member

Received 531 Likes on 326 Posts

Yes - that's what gives us GT3, Touring, ST or RS displays - but it seems that you cannot choose one display "skin" and then have a different splash logo - IE have all the S/T green displays, but have it display touring at start up . . . for me, I prefer the RS display, and can live with the RS logo popup on start up and shut down . . .
Ask Mars to look for the Logo file in PIWIS. It must be stored somewhere. That’s beyond my pay grade.
Old 08-05-2024, 01:53 AM
seatactony
Racer

Received 307 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by 1RedHead
I opted to keep my display stock for this reason. While tire temp would have been nice, don’t care about green e-dials if it meant my logo screen was ST.
The following 3 users liked this post by seatactony:
catdog2 (08-05-2024), Diablo Dude (08-05-2024), dixonk (08-05-2024)
Old 08-05-2024, 02:02 AM
f4bones
Rennlist Member

I spent a few hour with Mars again tonight trying to figure this out and no luck so far . . . yeah, the S/T display doesn't work for me as it doesn't display modes (normal, sport, track) . . . but the RS display does display modes like the standard GT3, and it has a nicer track display, which is my normal screen. It shows Oil temp, pressure, and water temp on the right display whereas the GT3 track display only shows oil pressure and water temp. The RS display also shows tire temps, which is very useful. Hopefully as some point we will figure out how to mix and match display symbology, but so far no luck.

Normal GT3 / T Track Display - water temp and oil pressure on the RH display, and tire pressure, but no tire temp on the LH dispaly

GT3Rs display - water temp, oil temp, and oil pressure on the RH side, and tire pressure and tire temp on the LH side.
The following 5 users liked this post by f4bones:
718socal (08-05-2024), catdog2 (08-05-2024), Diablo Dude (08-05-2024), dixonk (08-05-2024), rnlst_log (08-05-2024)

Quick Reply: S/T Suspension Programming - GT3 update??