Notices
992 GT3 and GT2RS Forum 2019-Current
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S/T Suspension Programming - GT3 update??

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2024 | 01:42 AM
rnlst_log
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by catdog2
@Jbravo23 you early adopter/pioneer! I am doing I'm this now ! Just got my power source from Amazon and ready to get it done. The tire temps is awesome my 2021 c2S has them but not the exact number, this is awesome!
CONGRATS!!!
Enjoy your "Cadillac' ed" 2022 GT3 Touring.
The following 4 users liked this post by rnlst_log:
catdog2 (07-31-2024), Diablo Dude (07-31-2024), EMdoc (07-31-2024), Jbravo23 (07-31-2024)
Old 07-31-2024 | 04:00 AM
catdog2
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rnlst_log
CONGRATS!!!
Enjoy your "Cadillac' ed" 2022 GT3 Touring.
Thank you @rnlst_log , another marathon and you got it done. Thank you! Ok folks just got the s/t suspension settings and in normal damper mode now the car is so much more useable on the street. It starts to feel like a 991.2 in that regard, more usable and less jarring over irregular surfaces.

It does lose some of its tight sharpness but that can be partially recovered using the stiff (track) damper mode with which you can definitely feel a difference.

It turns the GT3 from cringe and ouch grimaces when driving over bad bumpy typical northeast roads to no worries and much more tolerable. That said the fast steering and rear wheel steer mean that you have to apply careful steering input compared to before. It's not loose or dangerous or anything like that but the steering setup is on another plane of performance compared to the soft (sport setting) on the dampers. Solution is if you're going to drive aggressively to just out dampers in stiff (track setting) and you recover your base GT3/Touring setting except even then it seems more balanced.

Any downsides? Yes if you are only using car on smooth tracks then this is not for you. But for anyone living in a state with average to poor road surfaces then this makes you want to drive the car instead of going out for a few miles, getting jolted around and coming back and parking it.

A few more points as my car does not have the chrono sport mole/clock option and as a result setting the display mode to S/T mode which is what gives you tire temps in addition to pressure generated an error and CEL because the computer was expecting the sport chrono clock. That's the only way to get the tire temps as going back to stock GT3 Touring (GT3 ST3 setting in welcome screen in piwis) fixed that issue but took away the temperature display. If you have the sport chrono plus option then should be no problem as you can see worked very well for @Jbravo23 .

Many thanks to everyone that made this possible and thanks again @rnlst_log you're the best Piwis jockey!

Last edited by catdog2; 07-31-2024 at 04:05 AM.
The following 7 users liked this post by catdog2:
cyn (07-31-2024), Diablo Dude (07-31-2024), EMdoc (07-31-2024), Jbravo23 (07-31-2024), jo_ker (08-02-2024), michaeldorian (07-31-2024), NRAzar (07-31-2024) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-31-2024 | 10:00 AM
catdog2
Rennlist Member

One more update, drove the car in town over all the bumps and filled post holes and manhole edges sticking out and other evil surface irregularities, and this is transformative.

It may make me sell my 992 C2S as it makes the Touring more of a possible daily and definitely a car to enjoy on daily drives rather than tolerate and cringe over every bump.

I love it and am sure 992.2 is going to incorporate some of this more sophisticated suspension tuning.

Very happy and recommend it highly to everyone except for the absolute track rat where it will be interesting to do timed comparisons, and I think even there on any bumpy tracks like Sebring it may come out on top.
The following 6 users liked this post by catdog2:
cyn (07-31-2024), Diablo Dude (07-31-2024), dixonk (07-31-2024), Ferrarisimo (07-31-2024), Jbravo23 (07-31-2024), usctrojanGT3 (07-31-2024) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-31-2024 | 03:18 PM
cyn
Advanced

Wow, I'm away from the forums a couple days and I come back to this happy surprise: improved suspension and tire temps and green swiches of color on the gauges I can't wait to get this done. I was out driving yesterday on a bunch of B roads and definitely felt a little beat up by the end of it. Also very happy to hear that the spiring "track mode" button makes a difference (for when on smoother tarmac or track). All very cool and a bit thanks again to @rnlst_log and @f4bones .

I just spoke to a shop in Santa Clara and we're good to go there. He has a Deutronic power supply which can hold voltages for us and we have the OBD interface and appropriate laptop. So far it's me, @Diablo Dude and one of his friends going to get the suspension flash (and @sensei_tts may come at the same time for the Matrix headlight flash). If anyone else is keen, PM me.
The following users liked this post:
catdog2 (07-31-2024)
Old 07-31-2024 | 04:07 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by catdog2
Thank you @rnlst_log , another marathon and you got it done. Thank you! Ok folks just got the s/t suspension settings and in normal damper mode now the car is so much more useable on the street. It starts to feel like a 991.2 in that regard, more usable and less jarring over irregular surfaces.

It does lose some of its tight sharpness but that can be partially recovered using the stiff (track) damper mode with which you can definitely feel a difference.

It turns the GT3 from cringe and ouch grimaces when driving over bad bumpy typical northeast roads to no worries and much more tolerable. That said the fast steering and rear wheel steer mean that you have to apply careful steering input compared to before. It's not loose or dangerous or anything like that but the steering setup is on another plane of performance compared to the soft (sport setting) on the dampers. Solution is if you're going to drive aggressively to just out dampers in stiff (track setting) and you recover your base GT3/Touring setting except even then it seems more balanced.

Any downsides? Yes if you are only using car on smooth tracks then this is not for you. But for anyone living in a state with average to poor road surfaces then this makes you want to drive the car instead of going out for a few miles, getting jolted around and coming back and parking it.

A few more points as my car does not have the chrono sport mole/clock option and as a result setting the display mode to S/T mode which is what gives you tire temps in addition to pressure generated an error and CEL because the computer was expecting the sport chrono clock. That's the only way to get the tire temps as going back to stock GT3 Touring (GT3 ST3 setting in welcome screen in piwis) fixed that issue but took away the temperature display. If you have the sport chrono plus option then should be no problem as you can see worked very well for @Jbravo23 .

Many thanks to everyone that made this possible and thanks again @rnlst_log you're the best Piwis jockey!

While I can't relate directly since I do not have a GT3, just a GT4. Your impressions certainly hold true for me as well on my MCS equipped car. There are always trade offs when going stiffer VS softer (unless you have an advanced suspension like Magnetic Ride Control or McLaren's hydraulic system or the upcoming Mustang GTD adaptive DSSV)

While I have to make my changes manually with clicks on the dampers, I have profiles for different road conditions and what I plan to do with the car.

A softer set-up allows the tires to be loaded up slower, therefore it is not as edgy, but it also is not as sharp and requires more steering angle. Better for bumpy roads where the suspension needs to be able to breathe. A stiffer set-up is better for triple digit speeds and for high speed stability on sweepers. The car is more direct, requires less steering angle, but it also loads up the tires quicker, so the breakaway point is more abrupt. Better for smooth / fast surfaces.
Old 07-31-2024 | 09:21 PM
sensei_tts
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cyn
Wow, I'm away from the forums a couple days and I come back to this happy surprise: improved suspension and tire temps and green swiches of color on the gauges I can't wait to get this done. I was out driving yesterday on a bunch of B roads and definitely felt a little beat up by the end of it. Also very happy to hear that the spiring "track mode" button makes a difference (for when on smoother tarmac or track). All very cool and a bit thanks again to @rnlst_log and @f4bones .

I just spoke to a shop in Santa Clara and we're good to go there. He has a Deutronic power supply which can hold voltages for us and we have the OBD interface and appropriate laptop. So far it's me, @Diablo Dude and one of his friends going to get the suspension flash (and @sensei_tts may come at the same time for the Matrix headlight flash). If anyone else is keen, PM me.
nice, man. thanks for driving this for norcal. my gt3t may arrive in 1-1.5 weeks but if it doesn't line up, at least you found a shop that may be able to help the next crew. and yeah would love the headlight mod for the tts. thanks again.

Last edited by sensei_tts; 07-31-2024 at 09:22 PM.
Old 08-01-2024 | 05:20 AM
kav1
Advanced

This is amazing!!

Any Canadian Toronto rennlisters know where we could get this done in the GTA?

Old 08-01-2024 | 06:37 AM
403portside
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sensei_tts
nice, man. thanks for driving this for norcal. my gt3t may arrive in 1-1.5 weeks but if it doesn't line up, at least you found a shop that may be able to help the next crew. and yeah would love the headlight mod for the tts. thanks again.
Nice work @cyn . I received your PM - am in Europe at the moment and back in a few weeks ..should be ready to go with the next batch of NorCal folks!
The following 2 users liked this post by 403portside:
cyn (08-01-2024), Diablo Dude (08-01-2024)
Old 08-01-2024 | 11:45 AM
JOSCAL
Racer

Deeply impressive work folks! Sounds fantastic. I’m a bit far away so can’t see me getting it done🤔
Old 08-01-2024 | 12:00 PM
f4bones
Rennlist Member

If you have access to a PIWIS setup, or invest in one (highly recommended), @rnlst_log can do it for you remotely . . Really, PIWIS is an essential tool in my book, and this will allow you to also do the upgrade. IF you decide to get a PIWIS setup, I HIGHLY recommend you get it from @rnlst_log as his version verified to work with these upgrades.

The following 2 users liked this post by f4bones:
718socal (08-01-2024), GTS440 (08-01-2024)
Old 08-01-2024 | 12:33 PM
dixonk
Rennlist Member

I have @rnlst_log working on mine now. By the way if anyone is in the OKC area or wants to drive here my garage is open and I have PIWIS.
The following 2 users liked this post by dixonk:
EMdoc (08-01-2024), NRAzar (08-01-2024)
Old 08-01-2024 | 01:12 PM
ADsGT3
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cyn

In!
Old 08-01-2024 | 02:21 PM
jyu0
Rennlist Member

Just ordered my Thinkpad laptop per @rnlst_log 's recommendation. Will send it to him to get PIWIS afterwards. Also got the charger and cart, so once everything is setup my garage is open for people in the Chicago area. Looking forward to getting this suspension mod done especially after experiencing the new JRZ Proactive coilover system on my 981 Cayman track car. On the Proactive system, I can dial my dampening, pitch, and roll to a softer setting on the VCU app and the car glides over bumps and imperfections on the roll like a Toyota.
The following 3 users liked this post by jyu0:
Diablo Dude (08-01-2024), dixonk (08-01-2024), GT3 Mike (08-01-2024)
Old 08-02-2024 | 09:35 PM
Puresin
Track Day

This is amazing work! Is there a shop I can visit to get this done in SoCal? Thanks
Old 08-03-2024 | 02:01 AM
returnedto911
Instructor

Anyone interested to do this in Germany (Munich)? Would that be hard to organize?

Quick Reply: S/T Suspension Programming - GT3 update??