Notices
992 GT3 and GT2RS Forum 2019-Current
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S/T Suspension Programming - GT3 update??

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2024, 11:46 PM
f4bones
Rennlist Member

Received 1,395 Likes on 536 Posts

Working on this already . . . will advise when (if) we get it working. Not sure if the GT3 shocks will work with the RS software though - the RS has different shocks than the GT3, so might not work. Good news is the steering column switch unit is the same between the GT3 and GT3RS, so the RS wheel should talk to the ECUs - the chassis controller PN is the same as well, so we probably can get the software loaded. If will be a question if some other RS system conflicts with the normal GT3 systems IE if it needs some input from the active aero, which the GT3 obviously won't have. We shall see!! I agree - this would be very cool - I've ordered up a steering wheel switches and some smaller parts to build an RS wheel, and then will work with @rnlst_log to see if we can crack this nut as well . . . I'm also keeping an eye out for a used set of RS shocks just in case those are required.
The following 2 users liked this post by f4bones:
catdog2 (07-30-2024), NRAzar (07-29-2024)
Old 07-29-2024, 12:53 AM
Ferrarisimo
Burning Brakes

Received 206 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
You guys are doing great work, thanks in advance. I'm curious how the suspension settings will be different on the .2 Touring. If it hasn't been changed to more like the ST then I'll probably have the programming done too.
I'd be shocked if the 992.2 GT3 Touring didn't take the S/T suspension setup wholesale from the factory.
The following users liked this post:
usctrojanGT3 (07-29-2024)
Old 07-29-2024, 01:22 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,101 Likes on 2,347 Posts

Originally Posted by Ferrarisimo
I'd be shocked if the 992.2 GT3 Touring didn't take the S/T suspension setup wholesale from the factory.
I hope you are right.
Old 07-29-2024, 01:34 AM
f4bones
Rennlist Member

I hope they so something more than the current S/T programming as we already have that . . . let's hope for even better tuning!!
Old 07-29-2024, 02:05 AM
rnlst_log
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 127 Posts

The calibration file is still the same. At least on the verision i have.
Old 07-29-2024, 08:53 AM
TOporschefan
Racer

Received 145 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by f4bones
Hi - no errors - seems to work perfectly. I'm currently traveling, so haven't driving it since the first few drives. Overall, a noticeable improvement with PASM in normal mode, which is my standard driving mode. I normally drive in Sport or Track mode, with PASM sent to Normal - in this mode, the dampening seems quite a bit more compliant. I did drive with PASM in Sport mode, but honestly I haven't driven enough in that mode to be able to tell a difference. It's noticeably stiffer w/ PASM in Sport mode (as before), but I can't really opine on the differences in the ST tune in sport mode.

I'm anxious for a few others to try this out so we can get more feedback - we are 100% running the exact same code as loaded on new S/Ts, so should behave exactly the same - we didn't change any steering behavior or braking - there is different code for steering as the S/T lacks RAS, so we kept the steering code standard GT3, which I think is very good - not sure if I would change the steering feeling in anyway.

I'm discussing with Mars implementing the RS suspension controls - this also should be doable as it appears to have same electronics, just addition of the steering wheel controls, and different code. However, I'm pretty happy with just the S/T dampening - if I were looking to track my GT3 more, I'd be much more interested in the RS tunability - which I think we can do.
Interesting......thank you for the feedback. The S/T only has one mode and no sport setting. I wonder if this is the reason you do not feel much difference in Sport setting since the flash?
Old 07-29-2024, 01:39 PM
rnlst_log
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Ferrarisimo
Interested if @rnlst_log manages to investigate the compatibility of the Speedster profile for us 991 Touring owners in time!
Any 991 Touring and Speedster VIN? Please DM.
Thanks

Old 07-29-2024, 02:38 PM
f4bones
Rennlist Member

As far as I know, the S/T has a PASM switch (switch on dash with shock absorber logo right next to FAL) just like the GT3, and thus has normal and sport mode to dampening . . .
The following 3 users liked this post by f4bones:
catdog2 (07-30-2024), Diablo Dude (07-29-2024), TOporschefan (07-29-2024)
Old 07-29-2024, 03:35 PM
Ferrarisimo
Burning Brakes

Received 206 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by rnlst_log
Any 991 Touring and Speedster VIN? Please DM.
Thanks
@rnlst_log They are now in your inbox.
Old 07-29-2024, 05:13 PM
seatactony
Racer

Received 307 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by aarodynamics
I DM'd both of you
Thanks. Just pinged you back.

Old 07-29-2024, 07:38 PM
cyn
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

Any SF Bay Area folk who are interested in getting the recode done, please ping me. So far I have three or four and we're trying to arrange a shop and time that will work for us and @rnlst_log .

@f4bones / @dixonk I was driving yesterday and was trying to think if there's a way to objectively test the change in "feel". I have a decent drive figured out (it's around a dam and has a mix of smooth and bumpy surfaces on straights and curves) and wondered if I drive it before and after with maybe a camera attached to the passenger seat and/or recording the G monitor, if that might give some insight. I'm not sure it's possible as much of the feedback is through the wheel but I think I'll give it a go.

Last edited by cyn; 07-29-2024 at 07:47 PM.
Old 07-29-2024, 07:49 PM
dixonk
Rennlist Member

Received 1,826 Likes on 817 Posts

Originally Posted by cyn
Any SF Bay Area folk who are interested in getting the recode done, please ping me. So far I have three or four and we're trying to

@f4bones / @dixonk I was driving yesterday and was trying to think if there's a way to objectively test the change in "feel". I have a decent drive figured out (it's around a dam and has a mix of smooth and bumpy surfaces on straights and curves) and wondered if I drive it before and after with maybe a camera attached to the passenger seat and/or recording the G monitor, if that might give some insight. I'm not sure it's possible as much of the feedback is through the wheel but I think I'll give it a go.
I live in Oklahoma. Our roads in a lot of places are about as smooth as the roads in Mogadishu. I will be able to tell a difference before leaving my neighborhood. First I will need to set my front sway bar back to the mid setting. The softer setting had a positive impact on harshness but it was at a cost of steering feel. I prefer the edginess of stock settings.
Old 07-29-2024, 07:59 PM
cyn
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by dixonk
I live in Oklahoma. Our roads in a lot of places are about as smooth as the roads in Mogadishu. I will be able to tell a difference before leaving my neighborhood. First I will need to set my front sway bar back to the mid setting. The softer setting had a positive impact on harshness but it was at a cost of steering feel. I prefer the edginess of stock settings.
Hmm.. interesting. Good feedback. I find the stock settings too edgey.. it's a sort of skittish feel where I find that if the tarmac is smooth, it's great and highly accurate. But for most "standard" back roads, the car just feels "nervous" and tends to jit into ditches and if there are any long cracks in the direction of travel it feels very rail roaded. But I guess I'll have to wait and see. I will be getting the flash done soon enough and will report back
The following users liked this post:
speed77 (07-29-2024)
Old 07-29-2024, 08:13 PM
dixonk
Rennlist Member

Received 1,826 Likes on 817 Posts

Originally Posted by cyn
Hmm.. interesting. Good feedback. I find the stock settings too edgey.. it's a sort of skittish feel where I find that if the tarmac is smooth, it's great and highly accurate. But for most "standard" back roads, the car just feels "nervous" and tends to jit into ditches and if there are any long cracks in the direction of travel it feels very rail roaded. But I guess I'll have to wait and see. I will be getting the flash done soon enough and will report back
Try adjusting the front sway bars to the outer “soft” settings and see if it’s more to your liking. I put 12k miles on my touring and 8k miles on the wing so I have a lot of 992 GT3 miles. I changed sway bar settings last week when I had the car up on the lift to see if it would make a difference. Drove it to the ppf installer to redo the whole car while I went to Alaska. I don’t have a lot of miles on that softer setting so I will set back to mid and it shouldn’t effect my feel for the damping. I’m very excited.
The following 3 users liked this post by dixonk:
cyn (07-29-2024), Jeff Whitten (08-08-2024), PierreTT (07-30-2024)
Old 07-29-2024, 08:21 PM
mkim483
6th Gear

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by f4bones
Thanks for the comments. Took a long drive today from Alpine Wyoming to Driggs Idaho, and then home through Jackson Hole - the results are nothing short of amazing. Now I know what all the S/T reviewers were raving about - it really does dramatically improve the manors of the car on less than perfect roads. I couldn't be more pleased with the results. I have to say this is the car Porsche should have built - PDK, extra 40 lbs of sound deadening, 4.5L NA engine, and S/T dampening. . . transformed an amazing car to a simply magical driving experience. I honestly believe every 992 GT3 owner will benefit from this mod - I'm sure @rnlst_log is going to be very busy!

I remember well the track at Gillespie Field - was quite an icon for many years. Really a shame it closed down. I flew fighters in the USAF = just fly for fun now, although we do some contract flying in my F-5s for the military, so good way to keep my "dull" fighter pilot skills at least someone relevant!
Would love to see this get done in Korea where S/T is not released. Looking forward to hearing about more on this suspension tune for the GT3!

Quick Reply: S/T Suspension Programming - GT3 update??