Sponsored by:

[Collecting Cars] 750S v GT3RS

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2024, 05:36 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,505 Likes on 2,826 Posts

Originally Posted by TRZ06
You can tell that the Front end lift is engaged in those pics.

I used to have the same mindset as you in regards to wheel gap, HOWEVER you learn that wheel gap is actually good for driving dynamics as it means the car has some suspension travel and thus can handle some road imperfections. No wheel gap is for aesthetics and usually means limited spring travel.
That car must have its FAL engaged. That's a bit much. Otherwise, point taken.

Wheel gap and stance are one area that the GT cars have pretty much nailed, aesthetically.
Old 07-08-2024, 06:25 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Received 1,703 Likes on 947 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexCeres
More FUD bs. McLarens depreciate and Porsches ADM. Buying new is a great way to lose money regardless. The guys who paid 100-150 over on a 3RS are not going to be better off depreciation wise if they actually drive their cars. Lambos, Aston’s, and Ferrari are basically the same. If you’re looking for an investment, a Porsche is pretty ****ing stupid compared to actual investments like stocks and real estate and businesses. Auto Taxes, maintenance, consumables. It’s just terrible. Cars are toys / art, and they cost money.

As for future products, yawn. No serious people are concerned. By serious people I mean actual owners. The whales ares shivving each other over pecking order for future products. Will Woking make it ? Maybe, maybe not. Porsche didn’t make it as a pure sports car company. Neither did Lotus, Ferrari, Lambo or … anyone. The actual owners will be fine, with irreplaceable ice auto art from an era before hybrids. Most of the dealers will be fine too.

Really all I hear is someone who can’t afford to play the supercar game make a bunch of excuses why they disagree with Chris Harris by paper racing. Thanks for your insight.
I’m not sure how you are concluding I cant afford a mclaren. So, you are saying whoever dont like a mclaren by default cant afford one. I have bought 3 911s this year, their MSRP in total is a few grand shy of $1M. One of them is a PTS CXX that will be near $400k. My 750S build that I cancelled was $385k before MY2024 price increase.

By the way, not once I paid ADM for any car, including my 3RS. Not everyone is a sucker for markup. If I wanted a mclaren, I’d buy a mclaren.
Old 07-08-2024, 06:37 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,965 Likes on 5,215 Posts

Originally Posted by 3-Pedals
I’d like to eat home made food, so I guess I should downgrade to a Ford and pass BMW on my way down?

Love the mentality here.

Its an extremely risky proposition. Your 570S is several years old and at this point if it hasnt had major issues, it wont. This isnt the case on brand new cars. You should read the mclaren forums once in a while, particularly Artura. Its the persistence of these issues and their duration of resolution are pillars of Mclaren’s failure as a business.

Some of the issues like wing not working in a brand new car, or door not properly opening due to body panel tolerance issues highlight lack of attention and emphasis on quality. Again, its a bit of cultural. Have you visited germany? Even their garbage man takes pride in what he does and does a good job. Or the room service in a hotel. Or a plumber you call. Or the gas station clerk. They are clean, organized, precise people. Porsche wouldnt be Porsche if it was produced anywhere but Germany. You really have to visit the country and learn about their culture then you can truly appreciate the quality difference in Porsche vs Mclaren.
My good man, you have an amazing talent for backdooring a bitchslap on an entire nation (UK).

I guess you've just conveniently forgotten the, by last count, 5 known engine failures on the 992 GT3 RS, the numerous spontaneously cracked windshields on the 992 GT3/RS cars, the various PDK failures, the dead battery issues that seem more and more prevanlent, etc. So much for your love of German engineering and fastidiousness to precision manufacturing. But at least the Germans can rest assured knowing that their garbage will be taken out on time, and with pride.
The following 3 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
AlexCeres (07-08-2024), Manifold (07-08-2024), Matt(inMA) (07-09-2024)
Old 07-08-2024, 07:03 PM
Captain P
Rennlist Member

Received 554 Likes on 256 Posts

I was down this rabbit hole and ended up with the gt3rs cos i really do like Porsches a lot. However i ended up also ordering a 296 also over the 750, not because it is an objectively better car, it was just what i was more excited over. No car at this price range makes objective sense, i think these arguments are quite funny.
The following 2 users liked this post by Captain P:
Apex Ace (07-08-2024), GT3 (07-08-2024)
Old 07-08-2024, 07:20 PM
GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 296 Likes on 143 Posts

McLarens are nice. I can appreciate what they can do. Just like Ferrari. But ultimately as a consumer, regardless of their product, I don’t “feel” like having that much money tied up to try some of their products. I’m gonna put 12k miles+ per year anyway. There’s a lot of talk online without owning one, and living with one. Yay. Again, a lot of respect for other brands; I just want it to turn on, perform, without any bs. Bs is not a hobby….

Last edited by GT3; 07-08-2024 at 07:21 PM.
Old 07-08-2024, 07:23 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,471 Likes on 2,546 Posts

Friend of mine had the PDK transmission fail on track this past weekend in his 992 GT3, with 7k miles on the car. So much for famed Porsche reliability ...
Old 07-08-2024, 07:25 PM
GT3
Three Wheelin'

I’m not sure how you are concluding I cant afford a mclaren. So, you are saying whoever dont like a mclaren by default cant afford one. I have bought 3 911s this year, their MSRP in total is a few grand shy of $1M. One of them is a PTS CXX that will be near $400k. My 750S build that I cancelled was $385k before MY2024 price increase.

By the way, not once I paid ADM for any car, including my 3RS. Not everyone is a sucker for markup. If I wanted a mclaren, I’d buy a mclaren.
You, should go buy a P1. Come back later.
Old 07-08-2024, 07:26 PM
GT3
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
My good man, you have an amazing talent for backdooring a bitchslap on an entire nation (UK).

I guess you've just conveniently forgotten the, by last count, 5 known engine failures on the 992 GT3 RS, the numerous spontaneously cracked windshields on the 992 GT3/RS cars, the various PDK failures, the dead battery issues that seem more and more prevanlent, etc. So much for your love of German engineering and fastidiousness to precision manufacturing. But at least the Germans can rest assured knowing that their garbage will be taken out on time, and with pride.
You too. Go buy a P1 also. 🤣
Old 07-08-2024, 07:27 PM
GT3
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Manifold
Friend of mine had the PDK transmission fail on track this past weekend in his 992 GT3, with 7k miles on the car. So much for famed Porsche reliability ...
Also simple math. Can’t compare one to another. Volumes are different. **** happens. What was the point again? You going to buy a P1 also? 👀
Old 07-08-2024, 07:39 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GT3
Also simple math. Can’t compare one to another. Volumes are different. **** happens. What was the point again? You going to buy a P1 also? 👀
Yeah, well, there are quite a few anecdotes like this on low miles Porsche GT cars. Transmission failed in my 991.1 GT3 too, and two engines in that car failed.
Old 07-08-2024, 07:42 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GrantG
I agree with many of your points above (but hydraulic steering is only aspect that is truly wanting in the Porsches for my taste).

And I actually prefer the handling characteristics of Rear-engine.

And I really prefer the sharpness of an NA engine, and the handling of real swaybars and mechanical LSD (not to mention manual gearbox which I’ve already beaten to death).
I like 911 over Cayman too, but McLaren is mid-engine done right. My 570 has the regular suspension with real swaybars, open diff, and the engine feels and sounds plenty sharp to me.
Old 07-08-2024, 09:36 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,103 Likes on 2,874 Posts

I like 911 over Cayman too, but McLaren is mid-engine done right. My 570 has the regular suspension with real swaybars, open diff, and the engine feels and sounds plenty sharp to me.
I’ve driven several McLaren on road and track, so I think I have a pretty good handle on how they drive. And I like them and I’m glad they exist. But as long as Porsche keeps making the cars I like more for less money (and include an opportunity for Euro Delivery), I’m not ready to stray.
The following 2 users liked this post by GrantG:
AlexCeres (07-08-2024), GT3 (07-09-2024)
Old 07-08-2024, 09:41 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,701 Likes on 1,039 Posts

And yet one of us has driven both the 992 gt3rs and the 750 and one of us has not. And the one who has not has to spend his time whining about affordability and reliability and some business excuses despite none of those things having any bearing on the origin of this thread and Chris Harris’s review. Because he hasn’t driven the cars and thinks his paper racing is a real opinion.
The following users liked this post:
GT3 (07-09-2024)
Old 07-08-2024, 11:58 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GrantG
I’ve driven several McLaren on road and track, so I think I have a pretty good handle on how they drive. And I like them and I’m glad they exist. But as long as Porsche keeps making the cars I like more for less money (and include an opportunity for Euro Delivery), I’m not ready to stray.
You can have both! In my garage, I have Porsches, the McLaren, an M3, and an AMG. Variety is the spice of life.
AlexCeres (07-11-2024)
Old 07-09-2024, 12:19 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,103 Likes on 2,874 Posts

You can have both!
My garage is full and my wallet is empty
AlexCeres (07-09-2024)