992 GT3 and GT2RS Forum 2019-Current
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Collecting Cars] 750S v GT3RS

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2024, 10:07 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,471 Likes on 2,546 Posts

Originally Posted by flsupraguy
The 750s is a phenomenal car, it just lacks emotion like the gt cars do.... Give me a 9k NA engine with a clutch pedal all day long.
I haven’t driven a 750, but I find that my 570 evokes more emotion in me than any of Porsches. It starts with how the car looks. Then opening those cool doors and closing them. Then sitting so low in the car and the unique visibility. Then noticing the clean and racy cockpit layout. Then firing the car up and being struck by how loud it is. Then getting the car rolling and appreciating how good the steering feel and ride quality are. Then winding the car up and being blown away by the telepathic handling, the screaming engine, the relentless acceleration, and the overall intensity and drama of the driving experience.
The following 2 users liked this post by Manifold:
heshalosny (02-18-2024), Matt(inMA) (02-18-2024)
Old 02-18-2024, 12:36 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,962 Likes on 5,215 Posts

Originally Posted by 06viper
Lol this thread makes me laugh. The 750 beats a GT3RS in just about every category there is. It’s in a whole different galaxy actually. As stated, the GT3RS is a very very fast sports car, not a supercar. The 750 is a supercar that is as fast and in some cases faster than hypercars. As suspected, this is a Porsche forum, so naturally people are going to defend the GT3RS I get that. But trying to bring up reliability and depreciation topics which are not true is funny. As I stated earlier in this thread. I have 4 McLarens and a 5th on the way. I have first hand experience of ownership unlike 90% of people on this forum. Reliability is just fine. And in terms of depreciation, last time I checked a 4 year old 765LT still sells wayyyy above MSRP (one just sold at Barrett Jackson for $800k three weeks ago). P1’s are 10+ years old and sell for $1mil + over their original MSRP, shall I go on? So that theory is debunked as well.

People talking about Porsches being the better “endurance” cars when 99% of the people on this forum have never even tracked their 911 and instead take it to the country club on the weekends haha. Me on the other hand track my cars and track them hard. Go to a track day at Laguna Seca, there are more Mclarens there than any other supercar brand by far. There are thousands or Mclarens on the road, they are just as reliable as any other brand. But the few that do have problems, the owners like to come on the forums and talk about how unreliable they are. But the 99% of the other owners and cars on the road are just fine and not complaining.

As stated, the people that usually like to talk trash about the brand don’t own a Mclaren and second can’t afford one. I am all for supporting the brand of supercar who’s currently making the best cars. If another brand starts making the most exotic, fastest, best all around supercar, then I’m all for it! But currently there is no other brand offering what Mclaren does with their cars, and especially the dollar for value $$. Shoot even their entry level models are carbon tub, ultra exotic, carbon panel, lightweight, crazy horsepower, track monsters that are unbelievably easy to daily drive as well. You can get a few years old used 720 for $200k-250k range. Name another car for that price that offers what the 720 does, any car from any brand go ahead. You can’t because there isn’t haha

I can’t tell you the amount of people I know that sold their GT3 or previous generation GT3, GT3RS after driving a Mclaren. Even just a basic 570. They sold their Porsche within weeks and picked up a 570, 720, Artura, 600LT, 765LT, etc and haven’t looked back. And these are hardcore track guys, not guys that take their car to cars and coffee on Saturday mornings haha. All I will say is go to your local Mclaren dealer and drive one around the block, and your life will be changed. I had Mclarens first, so when the 992 GT3 was announced I figured I’d drink the Porsche kool aid and ordered one. And immediately I could tell the only things better about the GT3 was the engine noise and that’s it. Plus the Porsche dealer treats me like crap and adds ADM to all their cars, I get treated like royalty at the Mclaren dealer and have never paid a cent over MSRP for any of my Mclarens.

FYI, The GT3RS is more in line with a 600LT or 620R, not a 750.
Careful there my friend.

Don't coming in here preaching the truth about Mclarens v. Porsche GT cars, cuz you might find your gorgeous 765LT tarred and feathered by the resident Porsche circle jerks here.
Old 02-18-2024, 12:39 PM
Justaroofer
Banned

Received 591 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Careful there my friend.

Don't coming in here preaching the truth about Mclarens v. Porsche GT cars, cuz you might find your gorgeous 765LT tarred and feathered by the resident Porsche circle jerks here.
The circle is huge....
Old 02-18-2024, 01:22 PM
George P.
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 129 Posts

The following 2 users liked this post by George P.:
Finlander (02-18-2024), sullic (02-19-2024)
Old 02-18-2024, 10:59 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Received 1,703 Likes on 947 Posts

Originally Posted by Mdirih
great
Which car won?
Old 02-18-2024, 11:17 PM
GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 296 Likes on 143 Posts

https://fastestlaps.com/comparisons/fnus0sn8bvfn
that’s why people argue lol
The following users liked this post:
BlazinPond (02-19-2024)
Old 02-19-2024, 09:23 AM
PTS
Rennlist Member

Received 3,051 Likes on 1,405 Posts

We've had both a 675 and 765 in the family, I've had 500+ street miles and multiple track days in both. Incredible machines. The acceleration is just brutal, especially in the 765, dear lord. But I never got close to the "connect to your soul" feeling I get from the flat 6 cars. It's the intangibles that keep bringing me back to GT cars after experiencing something else that is also truly amazing. Some people connect to certain cars more than others, it's natural. That's why I don't understand this debate in here. In many ways the GT3RS is better and in many ways the 750S is better, but one is not overall better than the other.
The following 4 users liked this post by PTS:
AlexCeres (02-19-2024), fastmd (02-19-2024), GrantG (02-19-2024), MaxLTV (02-20-2024)
Old 02-19-2024, 07:52 PM
mike.baa
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
In terms of the driving experience, I think McLaren makes the best cars. Comparatively, Porsches feel like very well engineered and evolved descendants of the VW bug, whereas McLarens feel like they were designed as performance cars from the ground up.

Some people shy away from McLarens for various reasons - proximity of dealers, reliability concerns, durability concerns, repair costs, small and sparse owner community, drawing unwanted attention, etc. I was one of those people, but now I have a 570 GT and I subjectively think it's the best car overall that I've driven. I'll only sell it to replace it with another McLaren. My McLaren has about 10k miles on it, 2k of them from my driving, and it has been reliable, no issues. Some people seem to have bad luck with McLaren reliability, but most seem to have good luck. It seems to depend on the specific model, the model year, and how much the car has been driven (more is better).
Does the 570GT compliment the 3RS well as a pair? I'm in the market to pair my 3RS with something. My mind says lambo, but heart says Mac.
Old 02-19-2024, 08:00 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mike.baa
Does the 570GT compliment the 3RS well as a pair? I'm in the market to pair my 3RS with something. My mind says lambo, but heart says Mac.
Yes, IMO very much so. The cars have quite different personalities.

To me, the 3RS is like a cup car made just livable enough to drive it on the road, a distillation of the 911, and a joy to drive on track.

The 570 GT feels like the British mid-engine supercar that it is.

For me, I think they're both keepers.
mike.baa (02-19-2024)
Old 02-19-2024, 08:02 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PTS
We've had both a 675 and 765 in the family, I've had 500+ street miles and multiple track days in both. Incredible machines. The acceleration is just brutal, especially in the 765, dear lord. But I never got close to the "connect to your soul" feeling I get from the flat 6 cars. It's the intangibles that keep bringing me back to GT cars after experiencing something else that is also truly amazing. Some people connect to certain cars more than others, it's natural. That's why I don't understand this debate in here. In many ways the GT3RS is better and in many ways the 750S is better, but one is not overall better than the other.
Yes, at this level, it's about personal preferences and moods.
Old 02-19-2024, 08:06 PM
mike.baa
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
Yes, IMO very much so. The cars have quite different personalities.

To me, the 3RS is like a cup car made just livable enough to drive it on the road, a distillation of the 911, and a joy to drive on track.

The 570 GT feels like the British mid-engine supercar that it is.

For me, I think they're both keepers.
Thanks for the reply. Was the 600LT or artura ever in the cards?
Old 02-19-2024, 08:19 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the reply. Was the 600LT or artura ever in the cards?
A 570 GT popped up locally for sale and I decided to test drive it. I loved the car and the price was good, so I bought it. I wasn’t actively shopping for a McLaren, so I didn’t try any other models. Plus, I wanted to stay under $200k for the first McLaren, so that rules out the models that came after the 570.

But now that I’m a McLaren convert, I’m open to spending up to $300k on a McLaren, though I have no real urge to ‘upgrade’ from the 570, and I like the way the 570 has been engineered to have playfully fun handling, rather than maximizing grip.
The following 2 users liked this post by Manifold:
AlexCeres (02-19-2024), mike.baa (02-19-2024)
Old 02-19-2024, 09:43 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,701 Likes on 1,039 Posts

A used 720S with an intact warranty would be my first random guess. convertible, reasonably priced for a supercar, and a very different but amazing drive from the 3RS.
mike.baa (02-21-2024)
Old 06-30-2024, 02:47 PM
Yc911Kid
Three Wheelin'

Received 851 Likes on 447 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexCeres
They are both great cars. Dunno why folks get all defensive. The 750 is about $200K more once you spec it nicely (both medium spec and high spec on each car), maybe a pinch less. It should be a lot better. And it is on the street, and dual use. The 3RS at msrp is a ridiculous value for a track only toy.

I just can’t bring myself to dual use a 3RS with ADM over the 750. Basically the same price at that point, and really compromised on the street as just a car.
the crazy thing is my 750s(low-ish spec) is only like 30-40k higher in msrp vs a nicely optioned pts wp 3rs. Then after ADM it's at least 50k cheaper if not more. I've no interest in 3RS tho, my chase for porsche gt cars stops at 6mt gt3 / srs
Wild1 (07-03-2024)
Old 06-30-2024, 03:00 PM
Justaroofer
Banned

Received 591 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by Yc911Kid
the crazy thing is my 750s(low-ish spec) is only like 30-40k higher in msrp vs a nicely optioned pts wp 3rs. Then after ADM it's at least 50k cheaper if not more. I've no interest in 3RS tho, my chase for porsche gt cars stops at 6mt gt3 / srs
Yet the 750s will be worth half in a couple years meanwhile the 3RS is going the opposite direction.

Quick Reply: [Collecting Cars] 750S v GT3RS